General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote: There are all kinds of companies that aren't affiliated with households at all,
In the East I think we use the term "Household" like you are using "Company". I could be wrong but it seems that way. I make the distinction with "Ducal Households" in that a ducal household is, for all intents, a group handpicked by a former (And possibly future) king/queen to be their special dudes/dudettes.

So while I'm a member of House Three Skulls (We gots no dukes), thats a marked distinction from those members of House Serpentius (Duke Darius' Household. Yes their symbol is a red cobra on a black field a la Cobra from GI Joe).
Rogue 9 wrote:
and rapier captains can talk to armored officers and actually be listened to.
In the east it depends on who the rapier captain is and who the armoured officer is. I was sort of joking earlier. In armoured combat my unit answers to the lance commander who reports right to the warlord. I know my lance commander personally. I could talk to him and he'd listen.
Rogue 9 wrote:
That, and our company aims to be integrated heavy/light, with crossovers encouraged (try getting away with that with a segregated rapier army), but so far we've only gotten fencers. We'll see how it develops.
This is happening slowly in the east. We;re making a big push for this in our region (southern) to have as much crossover as possible. We get a lot of rapier going to armoured, but it's significantly smaller coming back the other way.

I always find it rather cool to see how other Kingdoms run things.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

No, a fighting company is just that; a fighting unit. Nothing else; no retainers, no noncombatants. Being in a fighting company doesn't restrict you from joining a household and vice versa, since they're just units in the Dragon Army rather than an autonomous social structure like a household.

Now, many fighting households do act as their own companies as well, but many more fighting companies are tied to shire/barony membership rather than a household, and function as the region's levy to the army, essentially.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:No, a fighting company is just that; a fighting unit. Nothing else; no retainers, no noncombatants. Being in a fighting company doesn't restrict you from joining a household and vice versa, since they're just units in the Dragon Army rather than an autonomous social structure like a household.

Now, many fighting households do act as their own companies as well, but many more fighting companies are tied to shire/barony membership rather than a household, and function as the region's levy to the army, essentially.
I see what you're saying. We do things somewhat similar and somewhat differently. Most of the larger fighting units we field are comprised of smaller households formed up around similarity of fighting styles. So while my Household is Three Skulls, my fighting unit is actually Silver Lance. Which is several households formed together as a unit.

Recently the Baronies of the Southern Region of the East have tried to revive the baronial levies practice and formed The Wetlands Alliance. It's been semi-successful.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, I'm going to Border Raids in Meridies tomorrow. It's too hot for this shit, but I'm going to do it anyway. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Have fun storming the castle, kids. I know a bunch of people who're leaving tomorrow for Pennsic, it's going to be a quiet couple of weeks around here without DB and company. (Mob knows who I'm talking about)
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm not going up until war week. Can't afford to take two weeks off of work. I'll certainly be there, though.

The Known World Rapier Party is being hosted by the Thieves of Hearts at their camp at the top of the hill in B02 on either Sunday or Monday night; I'll post which one when it's been finally decided. Look for the pirate ship, and bring your ID. All fencers welcome.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I hope everyone has a Fun, Safe, Pennsic War.

I'm staying home where there's AIR-CONDITIONING :P
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Slacker wrote:Have fun storming the castle, kids. I know a bunch of people who're leaving tomorrow for Pennsic, it's going to be a quiet couple of weeks around here without DB and company. (Mob knows who I'm talking about)
I'm leaving in a week, can only get war-week off. DB leaves at 3am Tomorrow morning. He's going up to secure our land.

It should be a fun time. House Three Skulls Party on tuesday night, dark-thirty. W07. Our theme this year (We change it yearly), Cirque du Dementia. :)
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:I hope everyone has a Fun, Safe, Pennsic War.

I'm staying home where there's AIR-CONDITIONING :P
If current weather holds, it won't be all that much of a difference. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Apparently the rapier party has been moved to Saturday night, before the champions' tourney.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:Apparently the rapier party has been moved to Saturday night, before the champions' tourney.
So they can fight in the tourney while fighting a hangover?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

It's pirate/rapiar tradition just ask Mary Reed

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's a warning about DeerTicks carrying Lyme Disease in that area of Pennsylvania right now. Don't forget your Deep Woods Off, or other DEET-anti-bug spray.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, I'm packing extra cans of Permanone so the camp can treat their tents. The stuff works wonders when used properly (i.e. spray it on gear and clothing and allow to dry; don't let it touch your skin wet). I used it at Border Raids camping in a tick-infested woods and came home bite-free.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

On my way back from Pennsic. Had a blast. Decided not to fight in every warpoint but did fight the 2 rapier points and 2 heavy points. Weather was great, got a bit chilly at night.

I'm fair sure my households party was one of the biggest this year (pennsic security said we had roughly 1000-1200).

all in all a lot of fun.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yes, it was big. So big, in fact, that I took one lap around the place and then turned around and left. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I understand ya'll got a bit wet up there :twisted:

How bad was the rain/mud/flood this year?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It was mostly during the first week. War week was mostly dry with moderate temperatures; it was great. :razz:

The National Guard was using us for aerial recon exercises. Here's some Apaches buzzing the camp.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:It was mostly during the first week. War week was mostly dry with moderate temperatures; it was great. :razz:

The National Guard was using us for aerial recon exercises. Here's some Apaches buzzing the camp.
Did an angry Laurel complain about Apaches not being period? :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, they have to show up in proper dress, also I thought they were forbidden under the no siege weapons rule.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:Yes, it was big. So big, in fact, that I took one lap around the place and then turned around and left. :razz:
Yeah, I was mainly behind the orange tape in the back of the camp getting faced with a friend. I don't like big parties but my camp does. Occasionally we came up to the tape, looked around, said "Wow, lotta people... lets go back to drinking." :)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Hi there. I'm not part of the scene, but I had a small question, I assume that you have tons of "arenas" / people bashing each other with styrofoam or "safe" weapons in these various events, and wondered if anyone could point me towards and good photos or photographers of such said events?
I found myself stymied in taking such pics at the last few conventions I covered (there's a big RD&D scene here in Israel) and I hoped for some ideas/inspiration in taking pictures of geeks smashing each other :).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, first we don't tend to have dedicated "arenas" in the manner you seem to suppose, nor are our weapons styrofoam (barring youth combat). The best way to find out about SCA events is to look on the website of the kingdom covering your local area (in your case Drachenwald) and looking at the calendar for events in your area. Israel seems pretty sparse on events, though looking at the regular meetings section shows a weekly fencing practice in Jerusalem.

You should look for a demo if you can for two reasons: One, the fighters are more conscious about putting on a good show, so to speak, at demos. The second reason is the cause of the first; demos are open to the general public while most other events are not. Which is not to say you couldn't get in; you're just expected to participate or at least blend if you do, which means getting into garb yourself. Most SCAdians will be pretty helpful to an apparent new guy, but not so much to someone in mundane clothing just walking around gawking at everything. A third reason is that demos are also free, while events are not and you'd have to pay a non-member surcharge on top of the entrance fee for not being a Society member, but barring some big events the site fees are pretty negligible.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As Rogue said, these are not 'Foam" weapons. The weapons used are 1 1/4in wide sticks of rattan, the same stuff they make chairs from. This is not bamboo, either, but a very solid yet flexible wood. The only padding they place on it is a closed-cell foam 'thrusting tip' at the end of the weapon -- the rest is simple strapping tape covered with ducttape. All combat is done at full speed as well. These men do not hold back, and I have seen 12g steel helmets dented from impacts from the rattan swords.
(The gentle inside didn't even know it had dented until he took it off. "God-damn, I'm glad I called that shot GOOD!" was his comment.)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Here we go...

SCA for starters.