I heard about that while I was at Antir-West War. What a bummer. =(
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-07-10 11:17am

We're still waiting to hear funeral arrangements and other details. HRH Anna Leigh has her mother with her now, so she's not alone, and Outlands have bend over backwards to help her. We owe them a huge debt.
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-08-27 11:44pm

A few years back I volunteered to become the Kingdom Deputy Herald over West Virginia. In that time I have assisted several Jewel Heralds (Royal Court Herald) in their duties. Before that, I was the Baronial Pursuivant, in charge of running Baronial Courts and writing up the Reports. I have been enjoying my retirement from that stress.

This was the FIRST EVENT I've attended where the Jewel Herald was not with Their Majesties. This event was also held in West Virginia, making ME the Ranking Herald. :banghead:

Did I mention I don't like being the one RUNNING Court? Not only did I have to keep the scrolls in order, I had to be able to read the scrolls (two of which did not have handy typed versions on the back). Then I had to get information for the Court Report: the scribes/illuminators names, why these people got their Awards, amusing things that happen during Court, which scrolls were NOT read due to the receipiant not being there, proper spelling/pronunciation of names, etc. And since this was the Court with ALL SEVEN BARONIES of Æthelmearc in attendance (7 Pearls Championship), I had to keep track of what the Barons did in THEIR Courts, which were opened within the Royal Court.

My god, it was like a Russian Doll. First Royal Court Opens, then the Host Barony (Blackstone Mountain), then the next Barony, then the next, all down the line, each of the seven having their Herald "Open Court and give Leave for (next) to Open their Court". Then, the last Barony in the line announced the winner of one of the Championships and closed Court. Which meant the next Barony in line Resumed Court, said a word or two, gave out an award, and closed Court so the next Barony could resume.....

And I had to jot all of this down in (unreadable) shorthand while standing behind their Majesties so I could write up the Report and have it entered into the Official Rolls. :banghead:

And worst of all, I didn't get any of the booze they were passing around. :roll: But, as I was writing the report, the bottle's trip down from Their Majesties to the end of the Barony line and back was included as "amusing shit that happened". :angelic:
So did the last Baronial Herald's flub, granting their Royal Majesties leave to continue their Court. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet