Cold War with Nazi Germany

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

User avatar
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes
Posts: 30776
Joined: 2002-07-05 05:45pm
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland (not really)

Post by Spanky The Dolphin » 2003-02-12 12:00pm

Gah, I still have no idea what you're talking about. :roll:
Image
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"

User avatar
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace
Posts: 3138
Joined: 2002-08-30 11:45am
Contact:

Re: Cold War with Nazi Germany

Post by Setzer » 2003-02-12 12:18pm

phongn wrote:
Setzer wrote:P.S. I did a thread like this a while back, but Google was on the Fritz, so I didn't see any responses. Could someone link to the thread on another NG?
Much of this revolved around whether the Germans could intercept the B-36 around 1946 or so. Sheppard was adamant that the Germans could; I was more or less adamant that the B-36 would be able to penetrate with minimal (though not zero) losses.

My belief stemmed from it's speed (fast for it's time), defensive armament (radar and computer guided 20mm) and operational altitude (above most, though not all, Nazi fighters). The altitude is more critical; while a fighter might be able to get up that high it will have expended so much fuel in doing so that interception is very difficult.
Computer guided guns in 1946? Weren't computers big enough to fill an entire house back then? I doubt it would fit in the B-36.
Image

User avatar
Stormbringer
King of Democracy
Posts: 22678
Joined: 2002-07-15 11:22pm

Post by Stormbringer » 2003-02-12 12:35pm

This belongs in Off Topic.
Image

User avatar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate
Posts: 37291
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:49pm
Location: Passchendaele City, HAB
Contact:

Re: Cold War with Nazi Germany

Post by Sea Skimmer » 2003-02-12 03:39pm

Setzer wrote:
phongn wrote:
Setzer wrote:P.S. I did a thread like this a while back, but Google was on the Fritz, so I didn't see any responses. Could someone link to the thread on another NG?
Much of this revolved around whether the Germans could intercept the B-36 around 1946 or so. Sheppard was adamant that the Germans could; I was more or less adamant that the B-36 would be able to penetrate with minimal (though not zero) losses.

My belief stemmed from it's speed (fast for it's time), defensive armament (radar and computer guided 20mm) and operational altitude (above most, though not all, Nazi fighters). The altitude is more critical; while a fighter might be able to get up that high it will have expended so much fuel in doing so that interception is very difficult.
Computer guided guns in 1946? Weren't computers big enough to fill an entire house back then? I doubt it would fit in the B-36.
Depends what you want them to do. These computers did one thing, make the guns match with the radar contact and shoot. Computers had been providing control for naval guns for decades by WW2. What the B-36 did was take radar and computers and combined them, previous systems needed a man in the loop to give the radar data to the computer. The B-29 also had computer control guns, but rather then radar humans in remote stations told them where to shoot. The computers then calculated the off set needed because of the differing locations.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome
Posts: 13834
Joined: 2002-07-04 03:21pm

Post by HemlockGrey » 2003-02-12 04:19pm

Gah, I still have no idea what you're talking about.
If the entire economy is mobilized for war, the only big things being made are tanks, ships, guns, and aircraft. Ergo, if there are factories cranking out pianos, the entire economy is not mobilized for war.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.

User avatar
phongn
Rebel Leader
Posts: 18484
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:11pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Post by phongn » 2003-02-12 04:32pm

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Gah, I still have no idea what you're talking about. :roll:
Okay, if the US was totally mobilized for war, in that all of our workers and factories were dedicated to the war effort, would we be producing pianos?
HAB | Rei Likes Pie | Vote Kynes! | SDN Senator | ASVS Great Old One c/o '98 | SB First One

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3481
Joined: 2002-07-09 12:51pm

Post by IRG CommandoJoe » 2003-02-12 05:03pm

As far as I know, pianos technically were produced in America. But they were produced for the military. Steinway made olive drab upright pianos for the military. But then again, Steinway also produced gliders for the military. So they were allowed to continue making pianos (for the military) but also had to make gliders with their plywood.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.

User avatar
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13772
Joined: 2002-09-12 12:47am
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Post by Uraniun235 » 2003-02-12 07:45pm

phongn wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Gah, I still have no idea what you're talking about. :roll:
Okay, if the US was totally mobilized for war, in that all of our workers and factories were dedicated to the war effort, would we be producing pianos?
Out of curiosity, how long would the US be able to sustain such an effort?

User avatar
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes
Posts: 30776
Joined: 2002-07-05 05:45pm
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland (not really)

Post by Spanky The Dolphin » 2003-02-12 08:47pm

Still doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever...

Grands or uprights?

Didn't know pianos had to be mass produced like cars.
Image
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"

User avatar
phongn
Rebel Leader
Posts: 18484
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:11pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Post by phongn » 2003-02-12 09:21pm

Uraniun235 wrote:
phongn wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Gah, I still have no idea what you're talking about. :roll:
Okay, if the US was totally mobilized for war, in that all of our workers and factories were dedicated to the war effort, would we be producing pianos?
Out of curiosity, how long would the US be able to sustain such an effort?
I'm not sure; they would have needed to keep the draconian price controls (the corrective hyperinflation after the war would be even nastier than OTL)
HAB | Rei Likes Pie | Vote Kynes! | SDN Senator | ASVS Great Old One c/o '98 | SB First One

User avatar
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican
Posts: 16465
Joined: 2002-07-11 07:59pm
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Post by RedImperator » 2003-02-12 09:26pm

phongn wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:
phongn wrote: Okay, if the US was totally mobilized for war, in that all of our workers and factories were dedicated to the war effort, would we be producing pianos?
Out of curiosity, how long would the US be able to sustain such an effort?
I'm not sure; they would have needed to keep the draconian price controls (the corrective hyperinflation after the war would be even nastier than OTL)
We could have kept it up longer than the Nazis, that's for damn sure.
Image
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues

Post Reply