Hurricane IKE Discussion Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Hurricane IKE Discussion Thread

Post by Surlethe »

I heard earlier that Ike had been upgraded to a Cat 3. In a fit of curiosity, I just now visited NOAA's National Hurricane Watch Center (link), and Ike is apparently a Category 4, with a whole bunch of warm water to cross before it starts to caress the southeastern US. It is expected to weaken a little bit before it hits the Bahamas, but it will be a hurricane for at least the next five days.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Looks to be weakening a fair bit in the last few hours judging by the IR and water vapour pictures. The west side is getting kinda ragged and it's lost the near perfect symmetry it had early this morning, seems like the shear is already starting to affect it. Model runs are still all over the place though so what happens next is still anyone's guess.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Current computer models show Ike skimming under Florida and along or through Cuba and then going into the Gulf of Mexico. Currently a Cat 3 but it could go back to 4 in the next couple days.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Seems like Hurricanes goes to New Orleans this year.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

My physics teacher suggested that it may not get up to Cat 4 strength because Hanna churned up a lot of cold water to the top on its way through, and Ike is on a similar path for some of it. However, it may still become a 4 in the Gulf.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Ike's hit Cat. 4.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Tropical Storm warning! yay!

I just had to waste my afternoon securing my yard. God forbid the kids toys get put away after they use them. Anywho, yard secured, basement secured, batteries just in case. Gimme your worst Hanna!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

That's the second time Ike was rapidly intensified. The first time it became a Cat 4, it had been Cat 1 the previous day, and this time it was a 2 and became a 4 within hours.

Cuba is going to get pounded. The tracks go all over the place past Cuba, so no good predictions what Ike will do afterwards.

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The good news is it's a small hurricane so it should weaken fairly quickly once it hits land.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Mayabird wrote:That's the second time Ike was rapidly intensified. The first time it became a Cat 4, it had been Cat 1 the previous day, and this time it was a 2 and became a 4 within hours.

Cuba is going to get pounded. The tracks go all over the place past Cuba, so no good predictions what Ike will do afterwards.
Never mind Cuba, Haiti is just being raped this season. According to the BBC, over 500 people have died as a result of Hanna in Haiti, and they're going to get more rain from Ike.

And that track they've got for Ike looks like a big "Fuck you" to Louisiana.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Mayabird wrote:Cuba is going to get pounded. The tracks go all over the place past Cuba, so no good predictions what Ike will do afterwards.
Looks like a USAF demolishion plan from the 1950 - operation blow Cuba off the map!
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, I had work-related plans to fly into Panama City tomorrow...I wonder if I'll have to reschedule.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Lonestar wrote:Well, I had work-related plans to fly into Panama City tomorrow...I wonder if I'll have to reschedule.
Looks like not. The current computer model tracks have Ike going towards southern Texas. But then again, it still might change. There's still more of Cuba to go, and it looks like the hurricane's going straight towards Havana.

Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I wouldn't worry about Cuba, Cubans are experts at handling hurricanes. They have very good evacuation and disaster handling procedures, from sheer brutal experience more than anything else. They also have the advantage of having a totalitarian government that simply needs to tell the people to move and they all move. On top of that they tend to build their houses fairly sturdy and with hurricanes in mind, it's all brick, mortar, and concrete. In the US wooden homes abound, in Florida the construction codes didn't require houses to have exterior walls made from brick until after Hurricane Andrew in '92.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

They're ordering mandatory evacuations for the west side of Galveston Island as well as parts of Brazoria County from what I heard on the radio. There's also going to be a press conference any minute now regarding evacuations, emergency services, shelters plus other things like sporting events.

Also the son of a bitch has turned back towards Houston and, currently, looks like it's going to hit somewhere between Corpus Christi and us. I'm not overly concerned about myself or family since we all live on the north and west side of town, so while we'll get some heavy rains and winds the flooding is unlikely to be a problem for any of us. Especially me since I live right next to Addicks Reservoir, which is a dry one meant to absorb exactly this sort of thing. Now the folks right in the path are a different story, but there's little, currently, I can do to help them.

And to be safe, I've stocked up on bottled water and canned/dry food so that if the power goes down I'll at least have clean water and something to eat.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Man, the way people are acting around here is down right comical. There have already been fights over cutting in line to get gas or buy supplies/food at the store. Some people have not prepared claiming that it is still going to turn and miss the Houston area and we will get nothing. Others are freaking out and buying everything in sight. I have seen very few calm people that are prepared for the worst but not freaking out.

You would think that it is the end of days or something.

And this is in the Houston area, where right now we are not projected to get the brunt of the storm.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS84-KHGX.shtml
...STORM SURGE AND STORM TIDE...

TIDE LEVELS WILL BEGIN RISING FRIDAY MORNING AND WILL EXCEED
5 FEET ABOVE MEAN LOWER LOW WATER ALONG THE UPPER TEXAS COAST AND
ALONG THE SHORELINES OF THE BAYS BY MID TO LATE MORNING FRIDAY.
WATER LEVELS WILL RISE RAPIDLY BY LATE AFTERNOON FRIDAY AS THE
STORM SURGE MOVES IN WITH WATER LEVELS PEAKING FRIDAY NIGHT AND
EARLY SATURDAY. MAXIMUM STORM TIDE LEVELS ARE HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON
THE TRACK OF THE STORM AND VARIATIONS IN THE TRACK OF ONLY 15
MILES CAN MAKE DIFFERENCES OF SEVERAL FEET MORE OR LESS FROM SOME
OF THESE VALUES.

MAXIMUM WATER LEVELS FORECAST:

SHORELINE OF MATAGORDA AND GALVESTON BAYS...15 TO 20 FEET

GULF-FACING COASTAL AREAS FROM MATAGORDA TO HIGH ISLAND INCLUDING
GALVESTON ISLAND...12 TO 16 FEET

LIFE THREATENING INUNDATION LIKELY!

ALL NEIGHBORHOODS...AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES...
WILL BE INUNDATED DURING HIGH TIDE. PERSONS NOT HEEDING
EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES WILL
FACE CERTAIN DEATH. MANY RESIDENCES OF AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION
DIRECTLY ON THE COAST WILL BE DESTROYED. WIDESPREAD AND
DEVASTATING PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE IS LIKELY ELSEWHERE. VEHICLES
LEFT BEHIND WILL LIKELY BE SWEPT AWAY. NUMEROUS ROADS WILL BE
SWAMPED...SOME MAY BE WASHED AWAY BY THE WATER. ENTIRE FLOOD PRONE
COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL BE CUTOFF. WATER LEVELS MAY EXCEED 9 FEET
FOR MORE THAN A MILE INLAND. COASTAL RESIDENTS IN MULTI-STORY
FACILITIES RISK BEING CUTOFF. CONDITIONS WILL BE WORSENED BY
BATTERING WAVES. SUCH WAVES WILL EXACERBATE PROPERTY DAMAGE...WITH
MASSIVE DESTRUCTION OF HOMES...INCLUDING THOSE OF BLOCK
CONSTRUCTION. DAMAGE FROM BEACH EROSION COULD TAKE YEARS TO
REPAIR.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

One does not often see "will face certain death" from the rather dry forecasts of NOAA.

This sounds very bad.

On edit: My Other Half just referred to this thing as "Hurricane YIKES!"
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

if Eisenhower had been president during the Cuban missile crisis instead of Kennedy, this would be very ironic.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

The area I live in is part of the county that's been asked to "shelter in place." Which is what I intend to do. No need for me to clog up the freeways further if they don't think I need to evacuate and where my home is located is a good position to avoid flooding. I'm a little concerned about wind damage and even more so about tornadoes forming, but I'm going to hunker down and catch up on some house chores and my reading.

I'm just nervous about power loss. It's not going to kill me or anything, just be inconvenient but still, not knowing when it's going to happen or for how long is the kind of thing that drives me right up the wall. And they've said that we will lose power this weekend.

In any event, I have plenty of flashlight batteries, clean water and non-perishable food, candles too, so unless my house blows down, I'm good to go.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I just looked at the projected path and it looks like the son of a bitch is turning right for the ship channel. That was going to get hit one way or the other but now it looks like the eye is going to pass right over the channel and the city.

I doubt this will be Katrina bad, but still, bad things, man.
Soy un perdedor.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Stay safe, Spartan. Don't be afraid to stick the looters with your spear!
XXXI
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Phantasee wrote:Stay safe, Spartan. Don't be afraid to stick the looters with your spear!
I will.
Soy un perdedor.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Looks like Galveston was already having flooding this morning.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Uh-oh.

linky
Stalled freighter faces Ike off Galveston

HOUSTON — Twenty-two men aboard a 584-foot freighter adrift in the Gulf of Mexico faced riding out Hurricane Ike if the situation remained too dangerous for a rescue attempt, the Coast Guard said Friday.

Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry initially said stormy seas would prevent Coast Guard aircraft or vessels from reaching the ship about 90 miles southeast of Galveston. Category 2 Ike's 105-mph winds could cause 50-foot waves, the Coast Guard said.

But by mid-morning Friday, Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said the Coast Guard was looking at the range of the assets it had to safely get to the vessel to rescue the crew, if necessary.

"The limitations were what we had in the area at the time. Now we're looking at seeing what we can get out there, possibly in a range to assist them," Atkeson said. He did not elaborate on what aircraft the Coast Guard would need.

The Coast Guard is in constant communication with the ship via Marine radio, said Atkeson, who identified the vessel as the Antalina.

The freighter is registered out of Cyprus and owned by Perovo Shipping Ltd. The freighter's operator is TEO Shipping Corp., according to Atkeson.

There was no indication that the ship was taking on water, Atkeson said.

"We don't have any information from the crew that that's the case," Atkeson told The Associated Press. "They've lost propulsion and steering" and were drifting southwest.

The Coast Guard at 4:17 a.m. CDT Friday received a radio distress call from the vessel.

Ike's eye was forecast to strike somewhere near Galveston late Friday, but the massive system was already buffeting Texas and Louisiana.

The National Weather Service warned residents of smaller structures on Galveston they could "face certain death" if they ignored an order to evacuate; most had complied.
Not good. Really not good. If it's an oil tanker and I really hope it isn't, it might break up and dump oil all over the Gulf.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker