And lo, the 2008 Olympic games begin

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

And lo, the 2008 Olympic games begin

Post by Dartzap »

Well, the opening ceremony anyway, heh. The fire works were pretty nifty, as was the epilepsy inducing light show. The Beeb are going OTT as always, but such is life, eh?

No doubt team GB will suck as always, but we can always hope to get more than the Ozzies 8) (Never going to happen)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Pretty.

I can only catch the first forty minutes or so, but so far it's looking very Olympic: flashy, over-the-top and terminally silly.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

IT IS PRETTY IN THE EXTREME

Also, that little Chinese girl is a hundred times better than Nikki fucking Webster.
EDIT:
I'm watching in Hi Def on a big TV. It is pleasing.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Buddha
Youngling

Post by Buddha »

I couldn't care less about the Olympics and all that stuff. This isn't a good year to host them in China with the recent events and all. China is playing dirty and lying about athlete ages and how hard they drive them to get gold. Then there is Tibet...
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Heh, the Israeli Judo and one of the swimmers and volleyball player (3 girls, one guy) were in my class. Nice to see they kept it up :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I missed the opening bit, I just enjoy which countries are wearing what. Anything interesting from the "show" should be on the news later.

For this olympics, I'll be supporting Georgia.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Nice golfing threads, USA :D
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

That was pretty incredible: although the parts where China alluded to their environmental and friendliness political inclusiveness were pretty sickening.

Anyone else getting up at 6:30 to watch rowing tomorrow?
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

Graah. I missed it. :cry:
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The US TV stations will be showing the opening ceremonies this evening in their entirety. NBC, I think, said it will start at 7:30 Eastern/6:30 Central - those west of those time zones will have to look up their broadcast times. This is good, because I enjoy the opening ceremonies but I also have to work and run errands and do stuff today. Darn 12 hour time difference!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Be warned: It's 2 hours, 30 minutes long.

And there's no time for toilet breaks! :P
Last edited by Dartzap on 2008-08-08 02:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've seen the Olympic opening ceremonies close to 10 times in my life that I remember, I know the drill - pee before ceremonies start, have munchies and drink at hand, get comfy and settle in for awhile.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Buddha wrote:I couldn't care less about the Olympics and all that stuff. This isn't a good year to host them in China with the recent events and all. China is playing dirty and lying about athlete ages and how hard they drive them to get gold. Then there is Tibet...
Please, which country is totally clean in the stuff they do? We might as well don't host the olympics then...although if the US host the olympics in 2008...I don't think anyone would care about the Iraq war being an issue.

Just focus on the games themselves, and the event ceremony.

Although the olympics is never that fun compared to the world cup.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Broomstick wrote:I've seen the Olympic opening ceremonies close to 10 times in my life that I remember, I know the drill - pee before ceremonies start, have munchies and drink at hand, get comfy and settle in for awhile.
Tivo for the win.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

ray245 wrote:
Buddha wrote:I couldn't care less about the Olympics and all that stuff. This isn't a good year to host them in China with the recent events and all. China is playing dirty and lying about athlete ages and how hard they drive them to get gold. Then there is Tibet...
Please, which country is totally clean in the stuff they do?
China's human rights record is atrocious though. I don't think anyone's asking for Norway to be recreated in the hosting country, but there has to be a certain limit beyond which countries are not rewarded with the 'gift' of the Olympics.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Do you have proof for these serious allegations? And please don't bring up some stupid website with dubious sources.
hongi wrote: China's human rights record is atrocious though. I don't think anyone's asking for Norway to be recreated in the hosting country, but there has to be a certain limit beyond which countries are not rewarded with the 'gift' of the Olympics.
This may sound petty but the Olympics has been given to nations with dubious human rights track record. Australia is hardly a saint in that regards, at least until the new PM actually apologised for the racist policies. Let's not even forget America's often dubious record on that as well, what with all the communist witch hunts and all over the last few decades.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Buddha
Youngling

Post by Buddha »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Do you have proof for these serious allegations? And please don't bring up some stupid website with dubious sources.
It is all over the news and in the BBC News as well. Is that good enough for you? Do a Google search and see for yourself what the Chinese are doing. Don't think I made this up because of any "bias".
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Yeah, two of China's gymnasts' dates of birth mysteriously jumped back in time two years within the last few months.

They're 'officially' 16, but I've seen the pics, and even for underfed asian girls they look young.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I just saw the end of the opening ceremony. That giant globe thingy looked neat, and the fireworks were impressively huge. But I was very dissapointed that no misfires, explosions, or other catastrophes seemed to occur.

Maybe it's just me, but I really want China to fail hard with these Olympics.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

TC Pilot wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I really want China to fail hard with these Olympics.
Maybe it's just me :roll: but I think your an asshole for wanting people to fail at something and expecting people to die in fireworks explosions.

Prick.
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Resinence wrote:Maybe it's just me :roll: but I think your an asshole for wanting people to fail at something
It's an athletic competition. Failure by one side or another is mandatory.

Far better that failure be heaped on a government that drapes its city in a polluted smog, apparently forces children to compete, blatantly censors media, etcetra etcetra etcetra.
expecting people to die in fireworks explosions.
Hey, if you want to assume people have to die for China to be humiliated, go right ahead.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Is there somewhere online where I can watch the opening ceremony? Sucks to not have a tv right now.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

TC Pilot wrote:
Resinence wrote:Maybe it's just me :roll: but I think your an asshole for wanting people to fail at something
It's an athletic competition. Failure by one side or another is mandatory.

Far better that failure be heaped on a government that drapes its city in a polluted smog, apparently forces children to compete, blatantly censors media, etcetra etcetra etcetra.
expecting people to die in fireworks explosions.
Hey, if you want to assume people have to die for China to be humiliated, go right ahead.
You're the one who talked about "misfires, explosions or other catastrophes". And get a grip, millions of ordinary Chinese are putting thier pride on the line for this, regardless of how evil or manipulative thier government is, would you deny them this?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Fire Fly wrote:Is there somewhere online where I can watch the opening ceremony? Sucks to not have a tv right now.
Hope you get to, because the opening ceremonies were spectacular.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Buddha wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Do you have proof for these serious allegations? And please don't bring up some stupid website with dubious sources.
It is all over the news and in the BBC News as well. Is that good enough for you? Do a Google search and see for yourself what the Chinese are doing. Don't think I made this up because of any "bias".
Well, the trouble would be, that I don't expect Russia or the US to stay quiet over such blatant cheating. Unless everyone is doing it (big surprise), why hasn't it been thrown the IOC?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia