Odd ingrediants in your recipes.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I (and the rest of my family, for that matter) make spaghetti with ketchup and ground beef, with garlic, minced onion, and black pepper mixed in. It also doubles as a great sloppy joe sauce. Outside reactions have ranged from "oh, that's kinda weird" to glaring at me as if I'd just murdered the Pope, for the blasphemy against Italian cooking I had apparently done.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Just to piggy-back on those talking about chocolate and spiciness, I had THE most DELICIOUS chocolate cake a while ago at this pan-Asian restaurant here in the UK. It was a chocolate fudge cake with wasabi and it was TO DIE FOR. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. :mrgreen:

As for my weird ingredients, I'm not sure I really have any. I put a little milk in my scrambled eggs (along with garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of American cheese), but I don't think that's especially weird. When I make pasta sauce, I used to add some molasses and Worcestershire sauce to the usual spices and things I'd put in there, but I think that's pretty normal too. I don't have any molasses here in my school flat, but I do throw in a pinch or two of sugar when I make my pasta sauce now. Cuts back on the acidity (or the taste of it, anyway).
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Has anyone ever tried a fried Bacon and Banana sandwich?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Kitsune wrote:Has anyone ever tried a fried Bacon and Banana sandwich?
Nope but a couple months back I had what amounted to a jalapeño popper wrapped in bacon and it was great.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

Kitsune wrote:Has anyone ever tried a fried Bacon and Banana sandwich?
Yes. We also put honey and peanut butter on it.

It was incredibly delicious - on the other hand, that was the night my friends managed to convince me to get stoned with them, so that might have, uh, unduly influenced my judgment.

I was really hungry.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Other than adding small pieces of bacon to various stir fried vegetables, no...
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

muse wrote:Other than adding small pieces of bacon to various stir fried vegetables, no...
Mmm, have you ever done that with string beans and added some spicy chillies too? Yum yum yummmmmm....:D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

muse wrote:Other than adding small pieces of bacon to various stir fried vegetables, no...
That's not really a weird ingredient by my reckoning. Here in Taiwan, about half of the stir fried vegetable dishes include some form of pork added for flavor -- including bacon. Stir fried green peppers with little pieces of bacon is a common and surprisingly tasty dish.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Generally speaking, I take ordinary things and try to do odd things with them that I have lying around at hand. Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, for example, is invariably made better by adding ground peppercorn, Monteray steak seasoning, garlic, and your favorite brand of chili (I recommend something spicy, the Mac itself tends to dull the fire). One can's worth of home made or canned chili per box, makes delicious chilimac.

The other day, I discovered Emeril's apple-chicken sausages in our fridge, so I sliced up a pair of them, got them hot in a pan, and promptly inserted them into a cheese sandwhich that I grilled. Tillamook sharp cheddar grilled cheese, melted around a pile of apple-chicken sausage slices. It was surprisingly delicious!
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Executor32 wrote:I (and the rest of my family, for that matter) make spaghetti with ketchup and ground beef, with garlic, minced onion, and black pepper mixed in. It also doubles as a great sloppy joe sauce. Outside reactions have ranged from "oh, that's kinda weird" to glaring at me as if I'd just murdered the Pope, for the blasphemy against Italian cooking I had apparently done.
Using ketchup sounds like it would be way too sweet. Chopped tomatoes boiled down is the way to go.