15%
No.
85%

Total votes: 40

Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Political Correctness

Post by Durandal »

Let me start by saying that I actually like the idea of political correctness. Most people can stand up in a room and say that they're "not politically correct and damn proud of it," and be cheered on by almost everyone.

Political correctness simply has a bad name and an even worse execution. The basic idea is that just because you're a member of a minority doesn't mean that you don't have rights.

Anti-political correctness zealots often think that it's a matter of people's feelings. That's only part of it. It's about people's rights.

Have you ever noticed that the only people really vocally opposed to political correctness are white people? In the case of the Pledge fiasco, it was Christians who opposed political correctness.

Here's the fundamental revelation that we can see from all these anti-PC nuts:

They acknowledge that people's rights are being violated and their feelings hurt ... but they don't give a shit.

That's simply disgusting and completely lacking in empathy.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Some PC is good (ie the pledge thing) and some bad (ie everyone equal)

but for the most part has gotten out of hand.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

equal rights for everyone, but not special rights for anyone . ..which pc seems to be evolving into.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Emperor Norton II
Rabid Monkey

Post by Emperor Norton II »

Political correctness has gotten seriously out of hand. Starting as a noble cause to readdress past injustices has now spawned a whole host of new sins.

Take for example the public lynching of that cop down in Inglewood without due process, or the slavery reparations case making its way through the courts right now.

I’m all against slavery, but don’t minimum wage Mc Death employees have move justification in demanding a living wage? Instead of Jesse H. Jackson & Co. extorting cash from corporations, which are servral mergers and ownership changes away from companies that may have underwritten life insurance on African slaves?
Credo Quia Absurdum
Budweiser the great IQ equalizer

Brotherhood of the Monkey
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As I say over and over agian why they should put in charge of our legal system at the very least prehaps the whole goverment, I'm not one of those oh if only I ran the joint things would be fixed, no rather I acutal know what I'm talking about, Up untill I was fourteen I spent all my time wanting to be a Supreme Court Judge, Truely, I reasurched the hell out of the topic and was disgust to learn they got thier not by good jugment, nay simple time on the bench without screwing up and having Politcal Connections is how Judges are born :?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Political Correctness

Post by MKSheppard »

Durandal wrote: They acknowledge that people's rights are being violated and their feelings hurt ... but they don't give a shit.

Eat Shit and Die, Motherfucker.

You should see me go on a rant when a black person says to me:

"Don't be disrespectin' me"

They can shut the hell up before I go on my own rant about how I
grew up not understanding what the hell was going on in Transformers
since it wasn't captioned.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

And let's not get me started on the "Deaf Culture" movement....

ImageImageImageImage
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

By MKSheppard
You should see me go on a rant when a black person says to me:

"Don't be disrespectin' me"
Just curious, what do you say in your rant?
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Political Correctness has gotten way out of hand. Now, it's hypocritical.

It has led to a lot of other things, like Affirmative Action, Zero-Tolerance Policies, A ban on even the most subtle displays of religion in schools, and more.

Even if it didn't lead to those, America would be much better if Political Correctness was scaled down.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I think some political correctness is good. I realy get sick of hearing "oh that is so gay", "you stupid fagot" etc. I laugh at gay jokes but when people start using my sexual orientation as an insult it pisses me off(and then I get shoved into a locker and get the shit beat out of me, depending on where I am and who the people insulting me are)

Affirmative action is a bad idea, jobs and positions should be based on merit and credentials, not your race.

Racial profiling is good. Why search 90 year old women and 3 year olds in an airport when the most likely terrorists are islamic males between the ages of 17 and 40.

And slave reparations, what the fuck. Has the current African American population ever been slaves? No. Did they suffer whips and chains? No. Have the current CEO's of the companies they are seeking reparations from ever owned slaves? No.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

What's your definition of 'politically correct,' Durandal?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I am actually more offended when people work not to offend me. As a member of a minority race, I occasionally come into contact with people who go out of their ways so as not to say things that could even potentially be construed as being racist--and I hate it. I dislike it more than I would (much of the time) if they just said whatever it was that they were going to say, because it means that they are recognizing our racial differences when they maneuver like that. To me, that is offensive. I'd rather they just be open about their feelings on the matter or race, and be done with it.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yeah but when the only insult they ever use is "Fagot" and the only negative adjective(sp?) they can think of is along the lines of"oh that is so gay" it gets annoying. They should a leat expand thier vocabulary. 8)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Yeah but when the only insult they ever use is "Fagot" and the only negative adjective(sp?) they can think of is along the lines of"oh that is so gay" it gets annoying. They should a leat expand thier vocabulary.
This is an interesting point. How many people think about the meaning being an insult? I'll be honest, I dont give much thought to it. If I hear a really lame idea I might say "That is sooo gay." Meaning, its lame, stupid, moronic. It has nothing to do with the people being gay themselves. So, it is more PC to say "That is a fucking moronic, idea you tard." I dunno, either way someone's feelings get hurt. Is'nt that the whole idea of an insult?

I think if the only insult a person can use is faggot or "that is so gay" well then mabye you are dealing with somone who is a bit homophobic. Lucky for me, I know lots of swear words, some not even in English. :P
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

About the anti-slavery reparations and -affirmative action arguments.

Yes, the sins of the father should die with the father, however it's not that simple. Whether you like it or not, the white race is enjoying its majority status and reaping the benefits that were resultant of the sins of the father.

You'd simply be foolish to think that racism and discrimination don't exist anymore, or that if affirmative action just went away tomorrow, that the hiring rate for minorities would plummet. Why? Because, like it or not, an average white person will probably be better qualified for a decent job than an average black person. White people are privileged to a better education. I lived in Springfield, IL for almost a year, and it was the perfect example of racial segregation. All the black people were in the city of Springfield, and all the white people were in the rural areas (and they chased black people out of them whenever they tried moving out of the city). My school had about 4 black students, total.

As to racial profiling, I'm an extreme believer in human rights. Assuming that anyone is a criminal based on their skin color is a violation of his or her right to due process. End of story. This country wasn't founded on this "national security" bullshit that the current, fascist administration is pressing. It was founded on the basis that all white, land-owning, male slave holders had certain, inalienable rights (later modified to include the rest of the population).

Now, these kinds of issues aren't cut and dry. The trick is striking a good balance for both sides. I'm still open for arguments on both sides.

And, Shep, just shut the fuck up.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Most of what is referred to as "good" political correctness is simple human decency. If I call Alyrium a faggot, I'm not being politically incorrect, I'm being an asshole. The "bad" political correctness springs from the fact that the whole philosophy of political correctness is based on a repulsive idea: that races are concrete things with collective rights, not collections of individuals with individual rights. PC is a way to end run the idea that individual people have equal rights. John Q. White Person and John Q. Black Person have equal rights, but the black RACE is entitled to special treatment (note that you could switch "white" with any so-called advantaged group in any situation and likewise switch "black" with any "disadvantaged" group, and the results are the same). Switch "black" with "white" and everybody screams that it's racism, and everybody would be right. So why in the world isn't the idea racist the way it is now?

No, I am not one of those white people so myopic to believe that black people have it just as easy as I do, or that black people don't face discrimination. When an individual black person is discriminated against by an individual white person (or any other individual entitiy for that matter), that individual deserves redress. On the other hand, I, as a white person, DO NOT owe anyone ANYTHING for the collective sins of the millions of other people in this country who happen to look like me. And if I commit an injustice against somebody, those millions of other people don't owe my victim anything--only I do. There are no collective rights, and no collective responsibilities.

Do you ever hear anyone (besides bigots) talk about "straight rights", "white rights", "men's rights", etc.? Of course not. You don't get any special rights for being straight, white, or male--only the same set of rights everyone else gets by virtue of being human. The struggle for women's rights, minority rights, and gay rights weren't in fact a struggle for a particular, special set of rights but for government and society to stop preventing those groups from exercising those same human rights (note that I didn't say "give" them their rights, because women, minorities, and gays ALWAYS had those rights, again by virtue of being human: their practice of those rights was unjustly blocked by force). For that, those struggles were good. Modern PC argues SPECIAL rights, by virture of involutary membership in one minority group or another. It is the antithesis of freedom, of true equality, and frankly, if anything is going to bring down the West and all that it's accomplished, it will be attitudes like it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Most of what is referred to as "good" political correctness is simple human decency. If I call Alyrium a faggot, I'm not being politically incorrect, I'm being an asshole. The "bad" political correctness springs from the fact that the whole philosophy of political correctness is based on a repulsive idea: that races are concrete things with collective rights, not collections of individuals with individual rights. PC is a way to end run the idea that individual people have equal rights. John Q. White Person and John Q. Black Person have equal rights, but the black RACE is entitled to special treatment (note that you could switch "white" with any so-called advantaged group in any situation and likewise switch "black" with any "disadvantaged" group, and the results are the same). Switch "black" with "white" and everybody screams that it's racism, and everybody would be right. So why in the world isn't the idea racist the way it is now?

No, I am not one of those white people so myopic to believe that black people have it just as easy as I do, or that black people don't face discrimination. When an individual black person is discriminated against by an individual white person (or any other individual entitiy for that matter), that individual deserves redress. On the other hand, I, as a white person, DO NOT owe anyone ANYTHING for the collective sins of the millions of other people in this country who happen to look like me. And if I commit an injustice against somebody, those millions of other people don't owe my victim anything--only I do. There are no collective rights, and no collective responsibilities.

Do you ever hear anyone (besides bigots) talk about "straight rights", "white rights", "men's rights", etc.? Of course not. You don't get any special rights for being straight, white, or male--only the same set of rights everyone else gets by virtue of being human. The struggle for women's rights, minority rights, and gay rights weren't in fact a struggle for a particular, special set of rights but for government and society to stop preventing those groups from exercising those same human rights (note that I didn't say "give" them their rights, because women, minorities, and gays ALWAYS had those rights, again by virtue of being human: their practice of those rights was unjustly blocked by force). For that, those struggles were good. Modern PC argues SPECIAL rights, by virture of involutary membership in one minority group or another. It is the antithesis of freedom, of true equality, and frankly, if anything is going to bring down the West and all that it's accomplished, it will be attitudes like it.

my thoughts exactly, I am of a minorty group, but I prefer that it be a incidental part of my identity, not something that defines who I am, certainly not the idea that the entire american society should pay reparations for slavery, after all if we used that standard than just about every group can demand reperations for every little slight in the past.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Durandal wrote: And, Shep, just shut the fuck up.
Ah, such a nice example of a totally politcally correct fool.

It's obvious you don't know a damn, or aren't of Irish descent,
in that you cling to the fallacy that it is white vs everyone else.

And you also cling to the fallacy that blacks are horribly oppressed.

NEWSFLASH:

At the turn of the century, which racial group had higher rates of
legimitatcy (less bastard children) and a lower criminality rate?

ANSWER: The Blacks.

But the turmoil of mass movement around the country after WWI and
WWII really damaged the black family, and LBJ's "Great Society" programme was the death knell.

You also exhibit a tired lack of brainpower, and it's obvious you're
still a snot-nosed teen.

When I get married and have kids, my first, and highest criteria for
where I live and raise my kids is not going to be the boogerman of
"racial equality". It is going to be SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.

If raising my kids in an area with a low crime rate means that there
are only 2 black kids at the local school, so fucking WHAT?

Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

An interesting fact:

In Australia, aboriginal unemployment rose dramatically after the minimum wage for aboriginals was lifted to the same wage as for the white population.

Aboriginal health also stagnated after they were given the right to drink alcohol.

A coincidence, perhaps?
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I don't know. You tell me.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Political correctness can kiss my hairy arse. It's gotten way out of hand in England. In some places councils won't display the Union Jack because it offends minorities! If they're offended by our flag then they can fuck off back to where they came from no-one is forced them to come here.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Political correctness in its purest form is a good idea. The execution fucking sucks though.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

starfury wrote: Do you ever hear anyone (besides bigots) talk about "straight rights", "white rights", "men's rights", etc.? Of course not.

Well uh, actually I do.

Well maybe not the list you gave, but when somebody throws a racial/sexist double standard my way, I get in their fucking face.

It actually happened at my school once...

It was our "diversity day" (I live in San Francisco. Do the math), and in the beginning of the day, the teachers brought some independant poets in to read some of their poetry. There were 3 people, and 2 out 3 of their poems consisted of out-right stating our heavy insinuation that:
when I look at a man, I wonder how many women he's hit
Yes. One of the poets actually said that. The result. I sent a school wide e-mail getting in their fucking face and raising the fucking issue.

now half the response was "lighten up" or "read a history book" and the other half was "AMEN" and "YOU ROCK"

But what really stung, was that one of my friends actually said "It will be a long time before white males are forgiven for what they've done"

Now everytime I look at her, I have a distinct urge to hit her....
Rhadamanthus
Youngling

Re: Political Correctness

Post by Rhadamanthus »

Durandal wrote: Have you ever noticed that the only people really vocally opposed to political correctness are white people?
No, the people most vocally opposed to political correctness are intelligent people who realise that words and ideas should not be oppressed because it might offend somebody.
In the case of the Pledge fiasco, it was Christians who opposed political correctness.
I am Agnostic and I loathe Christianity...yet I despise the pledge ruling, woops, I think your argument just fell out of a window.

Here's the fundamental revelation that we can see from all these anti-PC nuts:
They acknowledge that people's rights are being violated and their feelings hurt ... but they don't give a shit.
Well, good. Let's be politically correct and forget about slavery, in fact remove all mention of it from schools, because it hurts my feelings to talk about it. :roll: I lack empathy for idiots who think Speedy Gonzales is insulting to Mexicans and should be taken off the air. I lack empathy for people who think great works of literature should be "edited" because they contain offensive terms. I lack empathy for people like you, who present one side of the issue and condemn anyone who disagrees as disgusting and lacking empathy. So I guess your right. :roll:
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

No, the people most vocally opposed to political correctness are intelligent people who realise that words and ideas should not be oppressed because it might offend somebody.

What ideas? The ones that violate everyone else's rights?
I am Agnostic and I loathe Christianity...yet I despise the pledge ruling, woops, I think your argument just fell out of a window.

Then you're either lying or just a moron.
Well, good. Let's be politically correct and forget about slavery, in fact remove all mention of it from schools, because it hurts my feelings to talk about it.

Red herring. Political correctness is about respecting minorities' rights.
I lack empathy for idiots who think Speedy Gonzales is insulting to Mexicans and should be taken off the air. I lack empathy for people who think great works of literature should be "edited" because they contain offensive terms. I lack empathy for people like you, who present one side of the issue and condemn anyone who disagrees as disgusting and lacking empathy. So I guess your right.
People like me, huh? What side am I not presenting? I can actually empathize with American Indians when they feel that the Cleveland Indians' mascot is offensive and inappropriate. How would I feel if New York City's baseball team was the "New York Dagos/Whops/Guineas" with a Mafia hitman as the mascot? I can't understand why it's so much to demand basic decency, courtesy and respect from people.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion