No.
85%

Total votes: 40

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: Political Correctness

Post by ArmorPierce »

I think limited political correctness in where you respect another person and his or her culture is alright. I don' t think, however, that it is ok to have so much political correctness that some people are getting special rights over other more deservent people.

Edit: Corrected some bad grammer
Last edited by ArmorPierce on 2002-09-08 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

ArmorPierce wrote:I think limited political correctness in where you respect another person and his or her culture. I don' t think, however, that so much political correctness that is being used that you are actually giving the other person special rights.
Yeah, well sad thng is the other people are getting special rights. I liked that 60 Minutes thing about how some white students with a high SAT and better qualifications had lost their spots to less qualified black students. Sad thruth is some colleges race is a deciding factor, and true I know their is the opposite ith the college thing, merely an example.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Captain Lennox wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:I think limited political correctness in where you respect another person and his or her culture. I don' t think, however, that so much political correctness that is being used that you are actually giving the other person special rights.
Yeah, well sad thng is the other people are getting special rights. I liked that 60 Minutes thing about how some white students with a high SAT and better qualifications had lost their spots to less qualified black students. Sad thruth is some colleges race is a deciding factor, and true I know their is the opposite ith the college thing, merely an example.

Sometimes not being the right minority can discriminate against someone. My coworkers daughter is of Korean decent (actually born there) but in her school system she isn't considered a minority because "the Asian students usually do well without extra help". So even though there are far fewer people of Asian decent in Tucson than Hispanics in that school system the Hispanics get preferential treatment over them.

:?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Tsyroc wrote:
Captain Lennox wrote:

Sometimes not being the right minority can discriminate against someone. My coworkers daughter is of Korean decent (actually born there) but in her school system she isn't considered a minority because "the Asian students usually do well without extra help". So even though there are far fewer people of Asian decent in Tucson than Hispanics in that school system the Hispanics get preferential treatment over them.

Damn, now thats really fucked up :?
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Captain Lennox wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:Sometimes not being the right minority can discriminate against someone. My coworkers daughter is of Korean decent (actually born there) but in her school system she isn't considered a minority because "the Asian students usually do well without extra help". So even though there are far fewer people of Asian decent in Tucson than Hispanics in that school system the Hispanics get preferential treatment over them.

Damn, now thats really fucked up :?
And where it goes wrong is this:

Correct chain of logic:
1. Minority group A has a tendency to suffer unjust material disadvantage as compared to the general population
2. Person A is a member of minority group A
3. Person A is suffering unjust material disadvantage by virtue of being in minority group A
4. Therefore, person A should be given help in overcoming those unjust disadvantages.

Leap of logic:
1. As above
2. As above
3. Therefore, person A should be given help

In a lot of cases, the existence of the 'leap in logic' situation is both an information problem, and an 'erring on the side of caution' problem. It is an information problem, because it is much easier for the government to determine 'is a member of a minority group' than it is to determine 'is suffering unjust disadvantage'. It is an 'erring on the side of caution' problem, because many people (myself included) would prefer to see a few (emphasis on 'few') freeloaders rort the system than to see deserving people not receive the help they require.

That being said, social justice is certainly about the first situation I describe - the existence of the second is merely an implementation problem.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Tebrak'aun
Redshirt

Post by Tebrak'aun »

Waiter I'll take a double serving of humble pie :P

Good dissection of my points Darth. Basically I was imprecise in my argument and overgeneralising. This will teach me to surf the net at 4 in the morning after work. As far as political correctness goes I was talking about the verbal aspect of it not the physical aspect as it is not a side I have witnessed. I found that your arguments did a good job of clarifying and elaborating on what I was trying to say. The only other point I have to make is that political correctness in my veiw tends to make the differences between ethnicities, sexuality/gender or religion a taboo subject and discourages open discussion. So By doing this it perpetuates a cycle of fearing something that is not understood as it doesn't provide an avenue of education or demystification. It is my belief that more time should be spent trying to find common ground with our fellows than acknowledging and underlining differences.
Pain is weakness leaving the body