Ahoy you there in the EU.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Ahoy you there in the EU.

Post by weemadando »

My wife and I are booked in to visit Europe for the duration of November. Arriving in Paris on the 2nd of Nov and departing Frankfurt on the 30th of Nov are pretty much our only locked in dates thus far - that and visiting at one of the Australian WW1 memorials on 11/11.

Our plans are currently to visit the UK, France, the low countries and Germany (western). So, if you are in that area and have recommendations on what to see, what not to see, where to stay or just want to arrange a meet - let me know.

And yes HABites - I will be travelling to numerous battlefields and museums (including Bovington) so get your requests for pictures in...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Damn. Going to miss you by a month. I will be on my honeymoon in London and Paris starting September 2nd.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Bovington is great. There is also a village nearby that the MOD yoinked in WW2 and never returned, although to get there you have to avoid getting ran over by Warriors and Challengers on a fairly regular basis..... (The entire area is just one giant firing range) Yay for Dorset!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Re: Ahoy you there in the EU.

Post by Aaron »

weemadando wrote:My wife and I are booked in to visit Europe for the duration of November. Arriving in Paris on the 2nd of Nov and departing Frankfurt on the 30th of Nov are pretty much our only locked in dates thus far - that and visiting at one of the Australian WW1 memorials on 11/11.

Our plans are currently to visit the UK, France, the low countries and Germany (western). So, if you are in that area and have recommendations on what to see, what not to see, where to stay or just want to arrange a meet - let me know.

And yes HABites - I will be travelling to numerous battlefields and museums (including Bovington) so get your requests for pictures in...
If your going near Vimy Ridge can you snap some pics of the Canadian Memorial? And if your going to The Netherlands can you get shots of the Canadian wargraves at Groesbeek and the Arnhem and Nijmegen bridges?

Let me see if my cousin still owns a hotel in Amsterdam and I'll let you know if it's any good.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Bastogne has a good museum (or at least it did when I was there ten years ago). If you swing by Brussels, you can visit the war museum for free.

Ypres is interesting, and it's fairly close to Bruges, which is worth an afternoon itself. Avoid Antwerp and most of Wallonia that isn't Ardennes.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

havokeff wrote:Damn. Going to miss you by a month. I will be on my honeymoon in London and Paris starting September 2nd.

:?

Why are you going to London for your Honey moon, it's not exactly a center of romaticism...?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Zac Naloen wrote:
havokeff wrote:Damn. Going to miss you by a month. I will be on my honeymoon in London and Paris starting September 2nd.

:?

Why are you going to London for your Honey moon, it's not exactly a center of romaticism...?
Well, they'll have Paris for romance, and London for everything else :).
Do you have set plans? I have a long list of reccomended museums in Paris & London to reccomend to you. (For Example, the museum of non european art in Paris, and masses of ones in London).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Western germany.....hmmm. Would you be interested in a tour of german castles and fortresses along the rhine?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I recommend skipping western Germany and flying to Berlin instead.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, if he wants to visit battlefields I'd advise against that. And Berlin isn't really that memorable in terms of historical buildings. Definitely worth a visit, but skipping western germany (especially the rhine for it).... :?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Bah, the parties there should be battlefield enough. :)
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Dartzap wrote:Bovington is great. There is also a village nearby that the MOD yoinked in WW2 and never returned, although to get there you have to avoid getting ran over by Warriors and Challengers on a fairly regular basis..... (The entire area is just one giant firing range) Yay for Dorset!
Wow ... I have never even heard of this place so I did a quick WIKI check and it is only 15 miles away from my flat in Bournemouth!

Guess where I will be going this friday? :D
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

salm wrote:Bah, the parties there should be battlefield enough. :)
From my limited Berlin party experience, that is certainly true. However, since he will be bringing along his wife....
------------
------------
My LPs
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Wouldn't touch Berlin with a 10'-pole...

In western Germany, I would recommend Heidelberg, Hamburg, Rhine valley,...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, I've got really close family friends in Mettmann (just outside Dusseldorf) and so will be visiting there and chose to fly out of Frankfurt, well, just because. Thus extending our trip into Germany much further isn't really on the cards given the amount of time we'll be spending museuming our way around (we're both Ancient Civs grads and I'm also a History grad, so, yeah... museums).
Uncshabob
Redshirt

Post by Uncshabob »

Never been to Europe myself, but I'm planning to visit my brother who is currently working and living in London.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

weemadando wrote:Well, I've got really close family friends in Mettmann (just outside Dusseldorf) and so will be visiting there and chose to fly out of Frankfurt, well, just because. Thus extending our trip into Germany much further isn't really on the cards given the amount of time we'll be spending museuming our way around (we're both Ancient Civs grads and I'm also a History grad, so, yeah... museums).
Castle Saalburg, if only to see an ancient roman "machine gun".
------------
------------
My LPs
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Ando, what year did you start at UTAS?

Anywhere on the Overlord campaign trail is fair game :D
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I would recommend visiting some of the Trappist breweries/monasteries while you're in Belgium. The monks only brew enough beer to keep the monasteries afloat (in addition whatever philanthropic pursuits they might fund), and Trappist ales are widely considered to be the best beers in the world. Even if beer isn't your thing, the monasteries also often make milk and cheese that pair extremely well with local cuisine.

Of the six trappist monasteries in Belgium that brew, I would recommend the following two:

Westmalle Brewery - These monks keep production low deliberately, and spend any profit they make on charitable causes. They also happen to brew my favorite beer ever, Westmalle Tripel.

The Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren - These monks brew what is widely considered to be the best beer on the planet, known as Westvleteren 12. You can only buy it at the brewery, are limited to one case per car, must call in advance to buy it. They have steadfastly resisted any and all attempts to commercialize their beer, and actively discourage resale of it. They brew only to pay the bills. Their beer is also available for purchase in a monastery-owned cafe nearby, if you just want to try one.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Me me me me me me MEEEEE! I want to meet up! (And LW does too!) :mrgreen:
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Zaia wrote:Me me me me me me MEEEEE! I want to meet up! (And LW does too!) :mrgreen:
Yeah, what she said. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Ubiquitous wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Bovington is great. There is also a village nearby that the MOD yoinked in WW2 and never returned, although to get there you have to avoid getting ran over by Warriors and Challengers on a fairly regular basis..... (The entire area is just one giant firing range) Yay for Dorset!
Wow ... I have never even heard of this place so I did a quick WIKI check and it is only 15 miles away from my flat in Bournemouth!

You've never heard of it?

Have you ever been to Dorset? There's signs all over the place :P

There's an awesome tank museum (well I thought it was awesome damnit!) nearby too.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Zac Naloen wrote:
Ubiquitous wrote:

You've never heard of it?

Have you ever been to Dorset? There's signs all over the place :P

There's an awesome tank museum (well I thought it was awesome damnit!) nearby too.
I've only lived here for a few months so gimme a break! Although come to mention it, I seem to remember seeing some tanks zooming around when I went to Monkey World ... maybe it's something nearby that?
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

tim31 wrote:Ando, what year did you start at UTAS?

Anywhere on the Overlord campaign trail is fair game :D
My wife and I both started at UTas in 2000. We both lived in Christ College which is where we met. I graduated in 2003 (mid year) and my wife twice - in 2002 and then 2004 (teaching).
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Ah, I did first year in 2002.

So you must have had Michael Bennett at some point??
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage