THE SDN RECIPE THREAD!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Has anyone tried my cheese cracker breading recipe? I came up with that complete from scratch and I am wondering how well it has worked out.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE SDN RECIPE THREAD!

Post by Broomstick »

Made my first attempt at homemade crackers. Actually, they came out sort of like very thin muffins, very edible, if not entirely cracker like. Will probably want to tinker a bit before posting the recipe.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I have a general policy of not sharing some of my recipes until after they've been eaten by the people I'm sharing the recipe with. However, my lesser chili (not the county fair chili cookoff winner, which takes a couple days to cook down properly due to everything in it except the meat and a couple of the more exotic spices being both fresh and grown in my own garden) is not one of those.

Rogue's Chili Con Carne

Ingredients:

One (1) package of ground chuck, roughly 1.5-1.8 pounds.
One (1) small onion (optional).
Four (4) 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes. (I make two of those cans the Red Gold diced tomatoes with green chilis, but any brand will do.)
Two (2) 15 ounce cans of mild chili beans or kidney beans.
One large can of tomato juice (optional; for making the chili thinner if desired).
Chili powder.
Ground cumin (essential!).
Fresh cilantro. (If you cannot get it fresh, dried will do, but it has less flavor that way.)
Ground cayenne pepper.
Spaghetti noodles or rice (optional).

Instructions:

1.) Fry the ground chuck. If you're using ground chuck, it should be lean enough to just do this in the bottom of the pot you're using to cook the chili in. If you're using lesser quality ground beef, I recommend using a separate frying pan to more easily drain off the resulting grease. Break up the meat and stir periodically until there is no red left. If you desire onion, finely chop the onion and cook it in with the meat.

2.) Pour the tomatoes, chili beans, and tomato juice into your cooking pot. Add meat (if it isn't already in the pot) and bring to a boil. Once the pot boils, turn the heat down to low to let it simmer.

3.) Spice to taste. The chili powder and cayenne is for heat. Cumin is what gives chili its flavor; too many recipes leave out cumin entirely, focusing on chili powder alone. This is a grave error. Taste test the chili as it cooks; if you've made it too hot for your liking, more cumin will moderate the heat a little. Cilantro is for flavor and honestly doesn't have to be used; I just like it.

4.) Let simmer, stirring periodically. 45 minutes to an hour should be enough, though longer cooking brings out a little more flavor. If you plan to let it simmer for a long time to let people get food when they want (like at a gaming session, for example), you should add more tomato juice to make sure it doesn't get too dry.

5.) Boil spaghetti or rice, if desired. A friend of my father's from Texas swears by rice in chili and considers spaghetti a blasphemy against the food, which is why I include it here; I prefer the pasta. Neither is strictly necessary. DO NOT put spaghetti into the chili pot; it gets soggy.

6.) Eat. Grate your favorite cheese over the bowl and you're set.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, this post is dedicated to basic breads. I'm afraid I can't share the bagel recipe I know, since I'm under an NDA concerning it, but they're a pain in the ass anyway. :wink:

For all the recipes listed in this post, half of the flour may be substituted with whole wheat or rye flour if you so desire. Subbing out all the flour for whole wheat or rye will cause it to not rise properly; you'll end up with a very heavy bread. Some people like that, but I personally do not.

This first one is a baguette recipe I use; it works well and has a fairly short prep time.

Ingredients:

One (1) cup water
Two and a half (2 1/2) cups bread flour (all purpose flour will do)
One (1) tablespoon white sugar
One (1) teaspoon salt
One and a half (1 1/2) teaspoons yeast (one package of yeast, though it's cheaper to get yeast in bulk)
One (1) egg yolk
One (1) tablespoon water

1.) Mix the cup of water, flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together in a bowl. I know most bread recipes call for dissolving the yeast in warm water first and so forth, but this works well enough. Mix until the ingredients form a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for six to eight minutes, enough to ensure that the dough is elastic.

2.) Form the dough into a ball and place it into a bowl. Coat the dough with vegetable oil. I personally use olive oil, but any vegetable oil will do. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for about thirty minutes.

3.) Punch the dough down when it's done rising and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll it into a rectangle about 16"x12"; it doesn't matter how precise you are with this as long as it's close. I usually don't even roll it; I just flatten it out with my hands and then pick it up by the corners and hold it up in the air, alternating ends until it's stretched out enough. Saves on dishes. Cut the rectangle in half along the short axis, creating approximately 8"x12" rectangles. Roll these up tightly, beginning at the longer side, making sure to squeeze out air bubbles as you go. Roll back and forth to taper the ends and place a few inches apart on a greased baking sheet. (If you use a baking stone, don't bother greasing the sheet, since you'll just be transferring them to the stone.) Using a sharp knife, cut shallow slashes across the loaves about two inches apart, or cut one long slit down the length. Cover the loaves and let them rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.

4.) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Mix the egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and brush this mixture over the tops of the loaves. (This causes the bread to be crustier once baked.)

5.) Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Best eaten warm, but it doesn't slice well straight out of the oven; it's best to give it at least a few minutes.

For variety, you can mix in spices back in step one. I usually use an Italian spice blend consisting of oregano, basil, granulated garlic, fennel seed, and dried onions. Parmesan cheese and dried tomatoes go well with those spices if you feel like more of a pizza bread. Sage and onion bread works well with soups.

I will edit in more breads as I have time.
Last edited by Rogue 9 on 2008-10-01 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You can stretch your meat with beans/legumes, allowing full meaty flavor, lots of protein (especially when combined with a grain), and arguably a better diet. Traditional combinations are:

Beef/lentils
Chicken/chickpeas or garbanzos (they're the same bean)
Pork/pinto beans.

But really any combo you like is fine.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Anders' Puttanesca sauce.

1kg tomatoes (riper the better)
1 brown onion (finely choped)
2-3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
Handful of flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
12 kalamata olives (torn open/apart/roughly chopped in half/quarters)
Olive oil (teaspoon - maybe less)

Optional:
Salami (8 thick slices chopped into strands)
Fresh Basil (3-4 leaves)
Pinch of Chilli Flakes

Slice the bottom of the tomatoes with an X and then boil and quench to take the skins off.
Chop the tomatoes (keep all the juice that you can).

Heat the oil in a saucepan/deep frying pan
Add the onion and fry until softening
Add the garlic (and salami if using it) and fry until the onion is translucent and browning a little (deglaze the pan with red wine if you want)
Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. If the colour is a little pale you can add a tbs of tomato paste to bolster it. You can add some torn up basil leaves or dried chilli flakes (you don't need the chillies if you are using salami) at this point too if you want.
Season to taste.
Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Take off the heat and add the parsley and olives and stir these through.

Serve w/pasta. This is good for 4 big or 6 regular serves and is fantastic in that you make it from scratch, it's simple and delicious.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Garlic Bread Croutons

1 loaf of day old Garlic bread.
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of garlic powder or one clove minced.
1 teaspoon of Dan's beef rub
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of thyme
1/4 teaspoon of rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon of rosemary

Toast the bread in a 250 oven until the bread is dry(or leave it on the counter overnight) and then let cool. Cut the bread into 1/2 inch squares. In a 12 inch saute pan or skillet put the oil and the raw garlic. Stir on medium heat until the garlic is soft. Wisk in the herbs and the garlic powder(if you are using it) stir in the bread until coated then spread onto a large sheet pan. Turn oven up to 350 and when ready, the oil needs time to soak into the bread, place into the oven and watch it. When the bread is a toasty golden brown pull out and let cool.
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Turin
Jedi Master

Post by Turin »

This one can be done a couple different ways. It's inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe but with a couple little twists. I made the Fall version the other night and we went ga-ga over it. This is good for showing off good farmstand fruit, greens, and bacon if they can be had.

Green Salad with Grilled Seasonal Fruit... and Bacon

Summer Version Ingredients
One large plateful of mixed summer greens per person
A couple pieces of bacon per person
One or two peaches per person
Crumbled goat cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Paprika
Lemon juice

Fall Version Ingredients
One large plateful of fresh spinach per person
A couple pieces of bacon per person
One or two apples, pears, or asian pears per person (mixed is great)
Crumbled stinky cheese (gorgonzola or roquefort)
Extra virgin olive oil
Paprika and cinnamon
Apple cinder vinegar (or a more neutral vinegar if you can't get this)

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 400F (200C/gas mark 6)
2. Lay bacon out on a cooking sheet (line with foil for easy cleanup!) and cook for ~20 min or until crispy. Drain on paper towels (kitchen paper).
3. Wash your greens and let them drain while you do everything else.
4. Cut each piece of fruit in quarters. Sprinkle liberally with spices, season lightly with salt & pepper, and liberally drizzle with olive oil.
5. Heat a griddle pan (cast iron is excellent) until very hot. Grill fruit quarters for about a minute per cut side. You're just looking for color and a little browning here, not to cook them through.
6. Make a dressing in a 3:1 ratio of oil and acid (vinegar or lemon juice).
7. Pile up on each plate the greens, followed by the fruit. Drizzle over the dressing and adorn with the bacon and cheese.

Enjoy!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Chewie's Santa-Fe Steak Stew

Now, this is a MAN'S meal, recipe just off the top of my head.

1 lb steak, cubed.
2 1/2 cup frozen vegetables, I used corn and carrots.
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 Quarts water
6 cups instant potato buds
2 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon habanero oil
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons pepper
1/4 cup season-all

1. In a shallow dish, mix 1 cup potato buds with salt, pepper, and season-all. Put margarine, olive oil, and liquid smoke into a pan and begin to heat it to about 350.
2. Coat steak cubes with potato mixture, and place in a bowl. If you begin to run out, add more potato buds. Coat evenly on all sides.
3. Carefully (but quickly) put steak, onions, and garlic into the pan with the oil/margarine mixture. Fry for about 5 minutes, or until the pink of the meat is almost gone.
4. Put the water into a large pot, with the frozen vegetables, and begin to heat.
5. Once steak is done, pour the entire contents of the skillit (including the oil) into the pot. Quickly mix in the remainder of the potato buds, including any which were not used to coat the steak. Add habanero oil.

Simmer near boiling for approximately 30 minutes. If stew appears too thin, add more potato buds. Serves one hungry man for 4 meals.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Behold I made a batch of my Cinnamon Rolls and got my hands on a nice new Digital Camera Cheap! MMMM!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

While Nitram was in the hospital last month, his Mum came in to stay a few days. She and I managed to cook at home a couple nights, and she introduced me to a family favorite.

Calliflower Cheese:

1 large head Calliflower
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour, approx
1 scant cup milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (or other strongly flavored cheese)
1/8-1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt & pepper

Largest pot you have, with lid
Small saucepan
8-9in glass baking dish, greased

Strip the calliflower of its leaves and break it into quarters, then break the quarters in half. Place the pieces into large pot and cover with water. Cover with pot lid and boil until tender, approx 20min. Add water if needed.

While calliflower is boiling, melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Slowly add the flour to make a paste (a rou). Slowly add half the milk, stirring to prevent lumps, and turn the heat to low. Start dropping the cheddar in, one handful at a time, making sure each melts well before adding more. Add more milk as needed to keep the sauce smooth. Add the nutmeg, stirring well to mix thoroughly.

Drain calliflower once tender, and arrange the pieces in the greased baking dish. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour cheddar sauce over the calliflower, covering as completely as possible. Turn oven to broil and set the baking dish on the center rack. Broil approx 10min, until top of calliflower is golden.

Serve hot, as a sidedish or on its' own. Good with anything from single dining to Xmas dinner.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
ThePorkchopExpress
Redshirt

Post by ThePorkchopExpress »

what ever you're gunna cook... i suggest it be cooked on here...

Bah weep grah nah weep ninny bon
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Little something for thanksgiving...

Cheesy Broccoli Casserole Thing (yeah, it's a working title. Not sure what the technical name for it is, but it's good to eat).

You're going to need:

1Lbs of broccoli, the big tree looking bits, not the stalks.

1 8oz can of cream of broccoli soup.

1 8oz can of cream of mushroom soup.

1 box of saltines. You're going to need to full tubes of crackers out of the box. Use the rest for whatever you want.

16oz of shredded cheddar cheese.

1 large casserole dish.

Aluminum foil.

Beer. Lots and lots of beer. It's not for the recipe, it's to make putting up with a house full of extended family bearable.

First, wash the broccoli off and cut away the stalks. You just want the big green heads. Take those and put them in the casserole dish. Open a beer, drink half, and tell your Uncle if he touches the TV remote again while the game is on you'll break his arm. Open the two cans of soup and pour that on the broccoli, add half the cheese to this, and take one of the tubes of crackers, crush them, and add that too. Mix all that up and pre-heat your oven to 350f. Open another beer and tell your teenage cousin if he doesn't stop acting like a mopey emo fuckwit you'll give him something to actually cry about. Now cover the casserole dish with the mixed broccoli, soup, crackers, and cheese with aluminum foil and place it in the over for 25min. While it's cooking, have another beer and pretend to laugh at your uncle's story of his latest DUI arrest. Take the casserole out of the oven and remove the foil (might want to use some oven mits or a towel so you don't burn yourself. Just saying...). Take the other tube of crackers, crush it up and sprinkle it over the top of the casserole. Now take the other half of your shredded cheese and spread that over the top of the crackers. Put it back in the over for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted and browned slightly. Have another beer and laugh at one of your uncles as he sits there and tries to explain how he didn't notice that the hooker had a penis even though they had more beard stubble then he does.

When the rest of your thankgiving dinner is ready to serve (got another hour on the turkey here), serve and enjoy. With another beer. Beer makes everything better. Just saying...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A friend of mine (Mingo, actually, he's one of our SD.net people) got his deer this fall and he and his wife were kind enough to give me a couple kilos of venison when I saw them during Thanksgiving week. (Thanks again!)

Well, after the obligatory jokes about "Bambi burgers" for dinner (Bambi's mom or sister, actually - Mingo got a doe this year) I sat down to make some venison stew. We had it for dinner last night, along with homemade bread and a beer.

As MingoWife reminded me, deer is a lean meat and you often need to add fat back into it. Substitute fat of your choice if you don't like butter but you have to do this or it doesn't taste particularly good. I have had people recommend beef fat, lard, bacon grease, and a variety of other things but if you want a cholesterol free option go for it.

This is what I call "two day stew" as you actually cook it the day before you intend to eat it, as allowing the flavors to blend overnight then reheating it seems to improve the flavor.

Broomstick's Venison Stew (4 servings)
1/2 kg (1 lbs) ground venison or small cubed venison
1 large potato (or 2 small ones)
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
2 large celery stalks
1/4 kg (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced or quartered
handful of parsley, chopped (if fresh) or crumbled (if dry)
1 to 1-1/2 liters water (enough to cover everything, basically)
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Combine venison and butter with 1 liter water and bring to boil. While that's happening, cube potato and dice onion, then add when pot is boiling. Reduce heat until pot is at simmer, and let simmer for at least one hour. Chop carrot and celery, then add parsley. simmer at least one more hour, then cover and put in refrigerator overnight. Add water as necessary to keep ingredients covered. Next day, bring it out, put back on stove, bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer again. I usually let it go at least 15 minutes to make sure it's thoroughly reheated.

I'd serve over noodles, rice, or with bread. I add salt and pepper at the table, rather than before/during cooking as that cuts down on the total salt considerably and each person can season to their own taste. Add any other condiments you like, although I myself prefer to actually taste the venison flavor (unless it's gamey, in which case hot sauce might be good, but this deer wasn't gamey at all).

I recommend beer to go with stew, but if you want to substitute something else by all means do so.

We ate half of it, the rest is in the freezer for some other night. If you're tracking what you're eating, per serving that's roughly 1/4 kg (4-5 oz) of meat, 1/4 potato, 1/4 carrot, 1/4 onion, 1/2 stalk of celery, 2 oz mushrooms, and 1/2 tablespoon of butter (.5 oz, which, depending on who you ask, is either 1 dietary serving or 1/2 of one). Plus whatever you're serving it with (bread, noodles, rice, whatever)

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Poor Girl's Quick and Easy Ramen Vegee Soup

1 package ramen noodles - throw away the damn "flavor" packet that came with it
1 serving bullion, any flavor
1 handful diced/shredded greens (any sort, but bok choy or spinach are my favorites)
1 diced green onion or 1 spoonful of diced regular onion or 1 diced clove of garlic
2 mushrooms, diced
soy sauce

optional - a little diced/shredded carrot or bell pepper for color, and/or a dash of hot pepper juice/sauce.

Put vegetables in small pot along with bullion. Crumble dry noodles over it. Add enough water to cover everything. Dash of soy sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer until noodles soften. Makes 1 serving.

Yes, we've been eating a lot of this lately. Since the garden spinach is long gone and I haven't been able to find good, cheap bok choy at the grocery the greens have been turnip, beet and dandelion (not necessarily all together at once) which is still pretty good.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Crepe dessert fill

1 cup of plain flour
1 and 1/4 cups of milk
2 eggs
3 apples, sliced into standard slices, cored, and peeled
1/3 cup of juice (any works well but Orange contrasts nicely)
1/4 cup of brown sugar

Crepe

Sift the flour into a medium sized bowl. Empty out a small crater of flour in the middle.

Crack eggs into crater. As you slowly pour the milk in a little bit at a time, stir the eggs into the flour and the milk, obviously.

After the flour is all mixed up nicely, beat it until it is light and smooth.

Heat pan over stove to a modest temperature (For me, I turned it up to 4 out of 6). Melt butter or margarine within pan. Pour crepe mixture in a crepe-ful at a time. For best results pour the mixture wide and thin across the pan's surface. Once the mixture begins to creep around half-way up the radius, flip the crepe over and leave it for a few seconds (it does not hurt to be hasty here) before taking it out of the pan and storing on a plate or something. Repeat this step from the pouring of the mixture until you feel enough crepes have been made.

Fill

Melt butter or margarine within the pot, heated to around the same temp as the crepes. Dump sugar and juice in and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Now dump in the apple slices, turn the heat down to a simmering temperature, and close the lid of the pot. Keep the apples simmering until they are nice and tender, pregnant with juice. Do not worry if you find that the liquid part of it does not match the hight of all the apples together in the pot. Give it a while and the juice will reach them.

----

Now simply place as much filling as you wish upon an open crepe, and roll the crepe around the mixture. Including the remaining juices makes it taste far sweeter but it leaves the crepe liable to spill out of its end.
Last edited by Zablorg on 2009-01-12 02:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Homemade Breaded Chicken Patties

1 sleave of Town House Crackers
1/4 cup AP flour
1 tbl Dan's Beef Rub
1 tsp Dried Parsley
1 tsp Dried Rosemary leaves
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp Dried Rubbed Sage
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp White Pepper
2 Pinches of Salt
3 tbl Corn Starch
3 tbl AP Flour
3 Eggs
1/8 cup Buttermilk
3 boneless chicken breasts

In the bowl of your food processor place the crackers. Pulse until you have fine crumbs. Add the 1/4 cup flour and the spices and pulse until combined. Turn out the crumbs into a small square cake pan or a sealable container. In a small square cake pan mix together the corn starch and the rest of the flour. Beat the eggs and then beat in the buttermlk. Split the chicken breasts in half down the middle(to make two patties), you can leave them whole if you like, and set on a plate. Place the flour mix then the egg mix then crumb mix on the counter so they are in that order on the counter next to the chicken. Start heating about 4 cups oil to 375 in medium sized heavy dutch oven. Place patties in the flour making sure to shake off the flour so as little as possible sticks then dip in the egg mix and then place in the crumbs and coat completely. Place on a wire rack inside a 1/2 sheet pan(aka cookie pan) to rest and repeat with the rest. Once the oil is up to temp place in the patties 2 at a time for about 3 mins 30 sec. Let the oil get back up to temp before adding the next two to cook. Place in a 170 oven until you serve on a wire rack inside a 1/2 sheet pan.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Isolder74 on 2009-01-16 01:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Dan's Loaded 'Baked' Potato Soup.

1 12 oz package of Bacon
1 stalk of Broccoli
1 clove of garlic minced
1/2 of a med onion
4 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
4 more oz finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup cream
1/4 cup corn starch
4 med to large potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook and crumble the bacon. Finely dice the onion. Save 2 tblsp of the drippings. Mix into the bacon drippings the corn starch and then in a large stock pot on medium heat sweat the onion with the bacon grease until translucent and then add the garlic. Add a handful at a time 4 oz of the cheese. Stir in the chicken broth and the cream. Bring to a boil and then let simmer. Add in the potatoes after chopping them into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the broccoli into small pieces and add to the pot and put 3/4 of the bacon into the soup. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. Salt and pepper to taste.

To serve: Put the soup in a bowl and then top with the finely shredded cheese to just cover the top then put some of the crumbled bacon in the center. Sprinkle with chives and finely chopped parsley.(optional)

Note you can cheat in making this by substituting the Chicken Broth and the starch and cream(the recipe is essentially home made cream of chicken soup) with 4 cans of cream of chicken soup. It will however, never be quite as good .

Edit: If I double the recipe I usually don't double the amount of the bacon.
Last edited by Isolder74 on 2009-03-03 10:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Dan's Super Sandwich

1 Loaf of French Bread
1 Stick of Butter
1 tsp of Garlic Powder
1 tsp of Dried Parsley
1 tbsp of Parmesan Cheese
9 Strips of Pepper Bacon
1 pound of Roast Beef
1 pound of Honey Ham
1 pound of Roast Turkey
13 slices of American Cheese(or other cheese of your choice)
13 slices of Colby/Jack 1/8 in thick
13 slices of Swiss Cheese 1/8 inch thick
9 leaves of Lettuce
1 Small red onion sliced thin
1 tomato sliced thin

Whip the butter with the garlic, Parsley and Parmesan Cheese. Split the bread in half and spread on the butter top and bottom. Toast the bread in a 350 oven until golden brown. Place on the bottom half of the bread the ham, Colby/jack, Turkey, American Cheese, Roast Beef, and Swiss cheese in that order them put back in the oven until the cheese just starts to melt. Top with the bacon, Lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. Place on top the top of the bread and place a decorative toothpick every 2 inches through the sandwich. To serve slice into 2 inch sections. Serves 8 - 10. You can cut it up into 1 inch sections and serve 16 - 20 with no problems.

Enjoy.
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Drunkard's Couscous

First mix these vegetables:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk bok choi, chopped finely

Then prepare the cooking liquid:
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
1/8 tsp fish sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp chili paste
1 pinch salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1 sprinkle oregano

Put the cooking liquid in a pan and heat it up, then put in the veggies. Cook it until the liquid reduces down some. Add a dash of pepper.

Make some couscous (quick and easy, just do what it says on the box) and mix everything together. The resulting dish is light and tasty.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Louisiana fish fry. No recipe to go with this one. My only modification is buttermilk instead of milk.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Buttermilk, cornmeal,and a pinch of salt and pepper, right?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Buttermilk, cornmeal,and a pinch of salt and pepper, right?
Well like I said it was a bagged mix. So probably. The brand name was Louisiana Fish Fry. It was probably meant for catfish. I only had Tilapia.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Dan's Onion Kiaser Rolls

2 Cups Warm Water.
2 Tbsp. Active Dry Yeast.
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Honey
1/4 Cup Vegtable Oil.
1/4 Tsp Salt
4-5 Cups Bread Flour
1/4 cup Minced Dried Onions.

1 egg yoke(beaten with 1 tbsp water)
tablespoons
Combine Water, Yeast, Honey, Sugar, all the Onions but 1 worth, and Salt in a Large Mixing Bowl. Let sit in a warm place so the Yeast can get happy. Place as much flour as fits into a sifter. When the Yeast is happy, Add all of the Oil. Now with a wooden spoon(draft a Helper if you want) and Stir in the flour as you sift it in slowly. Keep filling up the Sifter as needed and keep adding the flour until the Dough becomes a Firm Ball and comes away from the sides of the bowl. On a table or the countertop Knead the dough until firm and no longer sticky. Place back in the bowl and add a few Drop of oil to the top of the dough, enough to slightly wet the surface, and let sit until it doubles in size. Punch down and Knead about twice then grease 1 half sheet pan. Split into 8 even pieces of dough. Roll the bread into a long 'snake' about one inch in width. Tie the roll in a simple overhand knot. Pull loosely tight and tuck the ends under. Place on the pan and make sure they have room to grow. Preheat oven to 400º. With a basting brush spread the egg wash onto the top of the rolls. After giving the rolls the egg wash sprinkle on the reserved dried onions. Bake in a 400º oven for about 25 - 30 mins or until the Bread is golden brown and sound hollow when you thumb on it. Let Cool for about 5-10 mins before serving or putting in bags for later.

Enjoy!

If you double the recipe there is no need to double the egg wash mixture as well. One yolk is enough to use on over several dozen rolls. If you feel you are being wasteful make the rolls early in the day and use the leftovers to make french toast.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

This one is a bit of guessing.

Dan's Award Winning Chili
It was voted best at the chili cook off!

2 pound of small red beans.
1 pound of red kidney beans

Soak the beans overnight in double the volume of water. Don't skip.

3 pound 7 bone roast cut into 1 inch cubes
3 pounds of top round roast cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups tomato sauce(I use my own homemade sauce from the garden)
1/4 cup molasses
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp cumen
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp spanish oregano
4 large cloves of garlic minced
3 strips of bacon
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 - 2 jalapenos
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Dan's beef rub
1/8 cup favorite hot sauce
2 drops habanero sauce(more if you are brave)
1 can of frozen white grape peach juice
enough water to cover contents of pot

Dice the vegetables. In a scorching hot fry pan sear all the beef in batches and toss together to mix both types. slice up into small bits and cook the bacon. used the bacon grease and olive oil to sweat the onions and pepper(add jalapenos at your own taste) until soft. Toss everything into a large stock pot or crock pot and bring to boil then turn to low. make sure you use a pot with a well fitting lid. Cook at least overnight stirring every 10 mins or so. Top off the liquid when needed more grape juice if you want but water is fine.