THE SDN RECIPE THREAD!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Re: The Steak & Cooked Meat Thread (Split From Venting)

Post by Isolder74 »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Somebody watched the Good Eats episode about skirt steak this week! :P

Incidentally, I take my steaks medium, no sauce, but with some grilled mushrooms on the side. DEEEELICIOUS.
Not this week but I have seen it. I'm Guilty as charged a Good Eats Fan!

The best sauce for a steak is a sauce made from the drippings of the steak. Not gravy per say but a nice au ju adds alot to a good steak.

If not that I suggest Yorkshire Pudding to go with it.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Isolder74 wrote:The best sauce for a steak is a sauce made from the drippings of the steak. Not gravy per say but a nice au ju adds alot to a good steak.
Thats true, scraped the leftovers that the meat had been simmering in into a container, will use it for sauce later on. Not sure if I should just do the regular, which is adding sauteed onions and cream to make a sauce, or if there is something else that can be done.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

I thought this might be useful here.

Dan's Beef Rub

1/4 cup Emeril's Essence
1/2 cup Lawry's Black Pepper Seasoned Salt
2 tablespoons dried minced onions
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons Italian Spice mix
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix well and use about 1 tablespoon to coat each side of a steak or enough to cover everything lightly. Grill as usual. ON a roast, coat about the same amount on all sides and cook as usual.

Enjoy.

This is good sprinkled on Baked Potatoes too
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: Unfortunately I don't have a grill, apartment living and all that.
Slightly off topic, but I'm curious - why is apartment living an obstacle to grilling? I've lived in apartments nearly my whole life and I've often owned and used a grill.* Is there some prohibition where you live?

* Of course, some sense is involved with that, such as not setting your abode or yourself on fire, but that applies whether you're in a house, apartment, or canvas tent.

Back on topic, but I must be some sort of freak - I never use rubs, never sauce my grilled meat, and almost never marinade. My favorite is just bare meat on a skewer grilled over a fire of some sort. Then again, I barely cook my beef at all, preferring it bloody-red in the middle, so maybe that's the flavor I want, with some grilled vegetables on the side.

Um... chicken I'm more likely to marinade, and that does have to be thoroughly cooked. I pretty much don't eat pork, and since I absolutely can't stand the smell of raw pork I never cook it. Fish... yep, grilled fish has to be done, too, but that doesn't mean charred or leathery if done correctly, and I prefer oily fish like salmon which is less inclined to dry out.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My brother in law constantly order Wagyu beef well done. With a sauce. He thinks that ordering the wagyu makes him look like the rich, upper-crust sort he craves to be, but then he displays just what a fucking idiot he can be with the rest of it.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

That sounds like those people who get high and mighty with staff at McDonalds, except that he actually has a chance to look worldly and fails.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

I always order my steaks well-done. I don't know why, but when I end up chewing on meat that's still pink, it feels disgusting, kind of like I shouldn't really be putting this in my mouth.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

tim31 wrote:That sounds like those people who get high and mighty with staff at McDonalds, except that he actually has a chance to look worldly and fails.
There's this old lady who comes into the McDonald's where I work and always orders a Big & Tasty... regular old well-done isn't enough for her though, she simply must have it cooked three times (when just an extra ten seconds or so is usually enough to make our meat look like shoe leather to begin with). :roll:

Oh, and since their seem to be a number of other Good Eats fans about (I missed the skirt steak episode, ok?), this website I stumbled across on Google last night should probably be shared. They've got an up to date episode guide, with transcripts of every episode* and links to the recipes on Food Network's website. Pretty cool, I thought.

*ok, so I don't think they have Tender is the Pork transcribed yet.
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

The Skirt steak list is incomplete since it is missing the Hanger Steak. It connects the diaphragm to the spine and ribs, hence the name. It has tremendous flavor, but is most certainly not a beginner's steak. Additionally, there is only one hanger steak per animal, making it more expensive. Asking for one may not endear you to your butcher, since this is traditionally one of the perks of the job. However, I will insist that this cut is the best steak I have ever eaten.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

I didn't include it mainly because the butcher does keep it to himself. I think it is one of the best tasting cuts as well
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:The best sauce for a steak is a sauce made from the drippings of the steak. Not gravy per say but a nice au ju adds alot to a good steak.
Thats true, scraped the leftovers that the meat had been simmering in into a container, will use it for sauce later on. Not sure if I should just do the regular, which is adding sauteed onions and cream to make a sauce, or if there is something else that can be done.
I like to let it drip on my baked potato. You don't need to add anything else.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

Some great stuff in here! I just have a quick question regarding how often to flip a steak. I usually cook my steaks twice on each side with a bbq sauce applied after a side's been cooked once. Works pretty good, but I've also read that it's better to just cook each side once, no real reason was given for it.

I'd be interested in hearing what you all think on the subject!
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Korvan wrote:I just have a quick question regarding how often to flip a steak. I usually cook my steaks twice on each side with a bbq sauce applied after a side's been cooked once. Works pretty good, but I've also read that it's better to just cook each side once, no real reason was given for it.
Cooking each side once makes sense with fish since it tends to fall apart when flipped. With steak, flipping once only works if you're cooking with medium heat in which case you may not end up with a nice flavourful crust. In theory the steak will be a bit more juicy but it's usually at the expense of flavour unless you really have everything dialed in just perfect.

On a skillet I generally cook it twice per side since we tend to use thinner pieces, whereas on the barbecue we usually cook each side 3-4 times, which also gives more opportunities for applying sauce and more flavour for the finished steaks.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Korvan wrote:Some great stuff in here! I just have a quick question regarding how often to flip a steak. I usually cook my steaks twice on each side with a bbq sauce applied after a side's been cooked once. Works pretty good, but I've also read that it's better to just cook each side once, no real reason was given for it.

I'd be interested in hearing what you all think on the subject!
Only flip twice, turn 45 degrees if you want the fancy look before flipping.
Soldier of Entropy
Padawan Learner

Post by Soldier of Entropy »

It's interesting; I hate steak. Whenever I say that, everyone always says 'Oh, no, you just haven't had a good cut before/it's always been overcooked before,' but no. I have had rare Fillet Mignon (once). I did not enjoy it.

Now, that said, I'd still prefer rare over well done. But still, I just don't get steak.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Venting 229: Evil, Thy Name Is Chipboard!

Post by Alyeska »

RedImperator wrote:Why do people order filet mignon, the juiciest, most succulent, most delicious, and most expensive cut of beef, and then have it cooked well done? "Here you go, sir, the most expensive item on the menu, cooked to a dry, tasteless, gray lump. Would you like some A-1 sauce with that?"
Because raw meat tastes like shit.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Alyeska wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Why do people order filet mignon, the juiciest, most succulent, most delicious, and most expensive cut of beef, and then have it cooked well done? "Here you go, sir, the most expensive item on the menu, cooked to a dry, tasteless, gray lump. Would you like some A-1 sauce with that?"
Because raw meat tastes like shit.
I beg to differ - here are but three great examples of raw meat dishes.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

weemadando wrote:I beg to differ - here are but three great examples of raw meat dishes.
(vomits)

Raw meat tastes horrible and has horrible texture. That is why I like well cooked meat. I don't necessarily want it a dried out lump of charcoal. It is possible to cook a steak without sacrificing too much of the juice. But anything more then slightly pink is just too raw.

And why would I order a Filet Mignon well cooked or medium well? Because it damned well tastes good. Its stupidly easy to tell the difference of a cut of meat even when cooked well. The Filet has better taste and is far more tender then your average backyard barbecue steak.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Try a carpaccio if you haven't before - it's a very different texture to a something like steak tartare and often the dressing on it will partially cook the meat through it's acidity.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Alyeska wrote:Raw meat tastes horrible and has horrible texture.
Speak for yourself - my preference is for meat less rather than more done, and some, quite frankly, I will eat raw out of preference. It sure as hell tastes better than charcoal shoe leather.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Alyeska wrote: Raw meat tastes horrible and has horrible texture.
Raw ground beef? Pass.

But you're saying that tuna sashimi "tastes horrible" and "has a horrible texture"? Well you're just plain wrong there.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Broomstick wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Raw meat tastes horrible and has horrible texture.
Speak for yourself - my preference is for meat less rather than more done, and some, quite frankly, I will eat raw out of preference. It sure as hell tastes better than charcoal shoe leather.
Exactly, speak for ones self. Telling people off for ordering their steaks well cooked and demonizing them for ordering a good steak in the process is not speaking for ones self. I don't like under cooked meat, but I will not criticize someone else for doing so.

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Question that I figure is appropriate for this thread: I saw something on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. It was something a chef that opened a sandwich shop did called "Almost fried turkey." Here's a description:
1 Boneless, Skinless(?) Turkey Breast Fillet
Rosemary Seasoning Rub (Recipe Follows)

1) Rub inside of turkey breast liberally with seasoning rub.
2) Roll into loaf shape and triple wrap in foil.
3) Cook in 375F peanut oil until done.
4) Serve thinly sliced (as for sandwiches).

What I'm looking for is a way to do this with out a deep fryer.

Maybe wrapping it in the foil with a probe thermometer inserted prior to rolling and cooking in the oven at 375F until you hit 140F-ish?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

The Spartan wrote:Maybe wrapping it in the foil with a probe thermometer inserted prior to rolling and cooking in the oven at 375F until you hit 140F-ish?

160 minimum. Turkey is poultry and has to be cooked to at least 160 degrees to be sure that samonilla is dead. 140 turkey is still basically raw. You don't want to eat raw poultry, ever.
Isolder74

Re: THE SDN RECIPE THREAD!

Post by Isolder74 »

No recipe just two pretty little pies.

Black Cherry Pie

Apple Pie