A World Government?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

A World Government?

Post by Guardsman Bass »

This might be creating a false dilemma, but oh well . . .

Generally, are you a believer in sovereignty, or in universal values? Such as, would you approve of a world government or would you regard it as the worst thing to happen to the human race?

In my opinion, those who argue against a world government generally are myopic; they assume that the era of nations will last forever.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Are you assuming that all nations are headed by some crack pot, military lunatic?
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

What is wrong with the nation state?

I think national identity either to a country or to a tribe is a central aspect of human psychology.

A world government to me seems to be a thing of science fiction after a planet has travelled to other worlds.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

In general, homogenaiety is a bad thing. If we ever get off this world and out into space, world government would probably work. As it is right now, however, it'd be a pretty bad idea. As a species, we don't get along well enough.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

There will be a world government, and I will rule.

Seriously, I don't think a world government can really be possible until globalization of trade has been in place for many generations, and every nation has been homogenized into a single culture (I think it will Russo-Chinese dominated, because as soon as one of them is able to tap their natural resources, they will outstrip the US).
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Interesting. Have you all heard of a Type 1 civilization? That is what I was implying when I meant a world government of some sort. It seems that a global government would be good if we ever plan to seriously expand beyond our world.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

to have a world governament everyone would have to believe and support a unique moral, objective, culture and philosophy. (with the rate the muslim religion's is expansion, who knows ?)
But that is close to the impossible. And quite frankly, no idea of the need of it. This kind of sittuation usually stop new development of thinking way.
And besides, who will world rule the world ? Brain ?
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Interesting. Have you all heard of a Type 1 civilization? That is what I was implying when I meant a world government of some sort. It seems that a global government would be good if we ever plan to seriously expand beyond our world.
Okay, I will bite. I have not heard of a Type 1 civilization. What is that?
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Theres going to be a world government by 2100. I'm going to see to that personally. And if other countries don't like it, they can kiss my gunports because they wont have a choice. :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, who's leading this "world government"? Such a government could push unpopular and innefective policies on the world. First, the we need one world culture, and that's going to take a while. I wouldn't want to have European policies on America, and vice versa.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

In the future, natural resources wont be worth as much as today because we have other sources. So the reasoning that that would be the reason of them dominating won't happen.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

We need something like the Earth Alliance in B5.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: A World Government?

Post by Nick »

Guardsman Bass wrote:This might be creating a false dilemma, but oh well . . .

Generally, are you a believer in sovereignty, or in universal values? Such as, would you approve of a world government or would you regard it as the worst thing to happen to the human race?

In my opinion, those who argue against a world government generally are myopic; they assume that the era of nations will last forever.
To summarise my position, "Someday, but not now, and probably not in my lifetime".

Nation state's and their formation have to do with the efficiency of long distance communication and transportation. Efficient long-distance communication is now available (in the form of the Internet). Efficient long-distance travel is not. Large items must still be shipped slowly by sea. Aeroplanes are expensive to run, and generally limited in carrying capacity.

As the effects of the still recent emergence of the Internet begin to be felt, as general levels of education are increased, as long-distance exchange of ideas because more and more commonplace, as 'taking a global view' becomes standard practice, then the need for a world government will emerge. Hopefully, a viable form for that government will emerge at the same time.

But it is something that should be driven by need, not something which is prematurely imposed.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I don't really agree, Nick. Transportation has little to do with governments. The USA spanned its current size before we had planes, when it took days sometimes weeks to go from DC to San Francisco. The British Empire used to have colonies everywhere on the planet, China, Canada, and Russia are all insanely huge and have been since before planes became fast as they are today.

I think the only way we'll get a world government is if the smaller present government shave something to gain by uniting. A single large military, better economy, education, standard of living, etc will all be incentive. As will be representation. If we are to have a world government, it cant be a group of nations all operating seperately but jointly, it has to be ONE SINGLE GOVERNMENT. No more USA, no more Britain, France, Japan, none of that. All of them must be consolidated into one government. Senators from each, no presidents, prime ministers, etc. No national parliaments.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

kojikun wrote:I don't really agree, Nick. Transportation has little to do with governments. The USA spanned its current size before we had planes, when it took days sometimes weeks to go from DC to San Francisco. The British Empire used to have colonies everywhere on the planet, China, Canada, and Russia are all insanely huge and have been since before planes became fast as they are today.
Regional governors had quite a bit more autonomy prior to the advent of rapid communication and travel. However, the point still stands that nations and empires were no bigger than their transportation and communication system could support.

Britain ruled her Empire by way of the sea, the Eastern US had the Missisippi (add and remove s's and p' until it's spelt correctly), China has two massive rivers and relatively gentle terrain, Canada and Russia, for all their size, are rather sparsely populated (and once you get out to the remote areas, I imagine the central government never used to play a significant role - this was certainly the case in Outback Australia prior to the advent of radio and aeroplanes).

Transport and communication obviously aren't the only factors in determining the size of nations, but they are major contributors. In the trend towards world government, if technology ever reaches the point where there is little difference between my deciding to hop the 1000 kilometres to Sydney, or the 20-odd thousand* to London, then the current barriers between nations might start looking a little wasteful. . .

[size=x-small]*that number is probably wrong - if you're really curious, look it up.[/size]
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment