Four years ago today

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Four years ago today

Post by Faram »

Bagdad fell to the US forces.

Sutch a good start, sutch a bad followthrough.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

I dont want to nitpick but wasnt there looting the same day as Bagdad fell?

It didnt even started good.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

IIRC, the invasion was executed well; the followthrough, not so much.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Enforcer Talen wrote:IIRC, the invasion was executed well;
No, not really. If the objective was simply to destroy the Hussein government, then yeah, it was an amazing blitzkrieg. But since our implied intentions were to occupy, hold and control the country, the war was a fuckup from day one. Secretary Rumsfeld and his G.I. Joe-sized army bypassed the enemy's defenses and nailed their construction yard. However, unlike Command & Conquer, the hostile elements remained in place after the mission was "accomplished". A much better strategy would have been to deploy an absolutely massive invasion force and take the country at a very slow but very thorough pace.

But yeah, most of the mistakes were made afterwards. "Hurr, de-Baathification!" *disbands army*
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Honestly the invasion still had an outside chance of success...IF they had deliberately gone and cleared city by city eliminating nascent resistance and leaving following troops to spend a month or so getting the local police back up to speed and then bring the contractors in with money to seed some goodwill. It is a ludicrous idea that we could topple the whole country and then rebuild it with what we took but with small bites and slow but steady progress (like WWII in Europe style with a full year from Normandy to surrender) you get a chance to root out all the undesireables while leaving your opponents struggling to hang on just a bit longer everywhere you haven't been. Basically it was executed for shit given the force size and objectives.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

We wouldn't have had enough troops, what with Rumsfield haggling against himself on the numbers that should be sent, he wanted to do it with as little men as possible, not what was most efficient.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:IIRC, the invasion was executed well;
No, not really. If the objective was simply to destroy the Hussein government, then yeah, it was an amazing blitzkrieg. But since our implied intentions were to occupy, hold and control the country, the war was a fuckup from day one. Secretary Rumsfeld and his G.I. Joe-sized army bypassed the enemy's defenses and nailed their construction yard. However, unlike Command & Conquer, the hostile elements remained in place after the mission was "accomplished". A much better strategy would have been to deploy an absolutely massive invasion force and take the country at a very slow but very thorough pace.

But yeah, most of the mistakes were made afterwards. "Hurr, de-Baathification!" *disbands army*
Eh, thats how I prefer to look at it - removing the govt, we did professionaly on. The rest -shrugs- we had the deck stacked against us, mostly cause of the republican party.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

If the objective was to get rid of Saddam and his goverment wouldn't a few well placed snipers have done a more efficient job?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten