An Atheists Thoughts on The Holidays

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I've been an Atheist for a few years now. My parents are a Mormon on one end and a Roman Catholic on the other. I often accuse my Atheism as coming from them, telling them that they told me not to believe bullshit.

From time to time though I still find myself wanting to believe in a high power. To believe that there is someone out there who loves us and looks down on us and watches out for us. As much as I want to believe this though, I know its not true. I tend to think about it more and more as the holidays get closer, especially this year, with my own family more fragmented then before, seemingly more distant than ever. I find myself wondering what it would be like, to be able to embrace the idea of Jesus, of God's love, and going to a church and being with people who felt this way and believed it, and I feel like I'm missing something.

I've been thinking about it though, as I drive through my neighborhood and the city, looking at the lights, and the trees, and the decorations, and just how beautiful it is to look at. And I think about this, not having God's love in my life. I realize though, that I have something better.

I know that I have family, no matter how distant, that still loves me, will still watch out for me and still help me, no matter how distant we are, no matter how long it has been since we talked. I know that there are people out there, who would help me if I needed it, just because I did need it and asked them, from charity, or food banks, or what have you. I know that even in the middle of winter, in the cold, that there are people who will pull over at night and help someone who's car has died, I know they exist, I am one, and I've had 4 people stop and help me on separate occasions. Driving a ford helps me meet these people more often. I know that there are good and selfless people out there, that don't love me, don't like me, but respect me as there fellow man.

People on our own board receive the heart felt sympathy from people they've never met before, with such sincerity that you know that if they were in the same room they would offer a hug, or a hand shake, or still give those kind words and are onlystoped from doing this by distance.

So I say this, and write it to remind us, those who have faith in a higher power, those who don't, and those who are unsure and may never be sure, that even when we feel alone, someone out there loves us, someone out there would help us, simply because they know that someone needs it. I think that's better than any love that a God could ever give us. Now is as good a time as any to remember this, and to think of someone you should say I love you to, either a wife, or husband, or brother, or sister, or friend. Go out and buy a toy or extra food and donate if you can, more than likely the person it goes to would do the same if they were able.

Peace on earth, good will towards men. There is always someone out there who cares, even if you don't know them.

Happy Holidays
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Well said. Cheers!
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

That was a very nice post and quite appropriate given the time of the year. The sentiment of love and comradery expressed is something I'm sure all of us here can agree on, atheist or not. Thank you for sharing this.
Jason B. Romano
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Aww Zeddy hun that was really nice :D
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Cheers. Have a good Festivus.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I agree wholeheartedly. One does not need faith to demonstrate good will towards their fellow man, and really that's what this season really should be about, even if one does follow a particular religion. Happy Holidays.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Merry Christmas. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

*Applauds* Well said!

Merry Christmas to all :D
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Bah, humbug.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bah, humbug.
Go sit on a yule log. :P
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Zed Snardbody wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bah, humbug.
Go sit on a yule log. :P
Or go a-wassailing. That'll improve your spirits!