SD.Net Zombie Outbreak

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

SD.Net Zombie Outbreak

Post by Durandal »

I was watching Dawn of the Dead yesterday, and I put that together with the legendary Lord of the Rings thread in which SD.Net denizens were dropped into Middle Earth. So I got this idea. What if SD.Net members were at a get-together of some sort, and a zombie outbreak occurred?

So here are the ground rules. This is a big get-together. For expediency, we'll say that the following people are in attendance.
  • All the mods, supermods and admins.
  • The top 30 posters on SD.Net.
  • All members of The Mess / members with military experience.
  • All Senators.
  • Any members within driving distance of the meeting place.
  • Any members with children have left them home.
  • Married members with spouses also on the board have brought them along.
So that's the who. Now the where. We're all in Toronto at some rented bar or banquet hall or something, not because a zombie outbreak in Canada would represent an ironic and hilarious failure of socialized healthcare, but because Mike is the board owner, and he lives in Toronto. The total number of people is around 100. The place is subject to change in this scenario if anyone has any more detailed information on Toronto.

This is a Dawn of the Dead-style zombie outbreak. So the zombies, for whatever reason, simply keep on living even without feeding. They are compelled to bite others, and anyone bitten will turn into a zombie eventually.

Upon the initial outbreak, none of the board members at the gathering are affected.

So here's the question. How do we survive? Who emerges to lead us? What kind of social structure will we form? Follow the format of the LotR thread, basically. Our ultimate goal is to fend off the zombies and try to rebuild some small part of civilization.

Those members not at the gathering, if you wish to contribute to the thread, outline your Zombie Survival Strategy for your hometown. Might as well keep things fun and inclusive.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm on that list. And I know that there are people on that list who are a lot more educated on the matter than I, and I'm smart enough to listen to them.

EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by DPDarkPrimus on 2006-04-24 01:06am, edited 1 time in total.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Re: SD.Net Zombie Outbreak

Post by Civil War Man »

Durandal wrote:Those members not at the gathering, if you wish to contribute to the thread, outline your Zombie Survival Strategy for your hometown. Might as well keep things fun and inclusive.
Unfortunately, I fall outside the range of attending members.

Fortunately, however, the WPI campus is prime real estate for a post-apocalyptic world, whether fighting zombies or Mad Max-style bandits.

Some advantages of the campus:
1. All campus buildings are situated on top of a hill. This gives the campus a nice commanding view of the immediate surrounding area. On top of that, some slopes are quite steep for your typical zombie, and become nearly unpassable when the infamous Worcester Winter swoops in.

2. On top of that, there are several multi-story buildings, including no less than one (1) bell tower and one (1) clock tower for the placement of snipers and heavy weapons.

3. Accessable entrances can be easily transformed into chokepoints. For example, the main entryway must pass within view of both the clock tower and the bell tower, and pass underneath a footbridge that could easily hold more defenders. Since we're talking about a zombie invasion here, defenders on the bridge would probably not have to worry about return fire.

Granted, this doesn't cover problems with supplies and the like, but still a very defensible position.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

'Driving range' is how far? :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Since physics and thermodynamics no longer apply, we simply fly away.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I don't really have any effective weapons at my house, so the first order of business would be relocation. My mother works for the local police department and has building access, so my guess is we'd establish a base there (the building and it's doors are quite sturdy).

Immediately phone my friends and tell them what's going on and to get over here ASAP. If there's any officers left standing I'd say - depending on how many zombies are out there - send them in a police cruiser to go to the local gun shop and commandeer more weapons and ammunition, then a larger party would go to the nearby grocery store and grab as much food and other essentials as possible.

Secure all building entrances. Send a few people up onto the roof to keep watch. Establish contact with state and/or federal authorities.

The police department shares a building with the fire department; the fire engines would, I imagine, be effective vehicles. (If the zombies get too thick, just plow through them.) Stockpile gasoline from the local gas stations while the pumps still have power.

If state or federal officials say that government forces will arrive to do a thorough extermination of zombies, concentrate on maintaining a strong defensive position. If it will be some time before this can happen, or if contact has been lost or cannot be established, and there is sufficient manpower and ammunition to spare, begin daytime zombie hunts.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Joe wrote:Since physics and thermodynamics no longer apply, we simply fly away.
Oops! Now the zombies are flying after you! Shouldn't have given them that idea. Image
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Oops! Now the zombies are flying after you! Shouldn't have given them that idea. Image
I'm smarter. I can outmaneuver them and they no longer have a speed advantage.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

Is this based on the original Dawn of the Dead or the remake?
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Joe wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:
I'm smarter. I can outmaneuver them and they no longer have a speed advantage.
Needless to say, we'd have fully-automatic man-portable assault-rifle-size Railguns that fire micronuclear explosive dial-a-yield shells worth from a pound to ten tons TNT a pop (pun intended) at around twelve hundred klicks a second, at 900 shots per minute; all by sundown on the first day of the Zombie Outbreak.

The zombies don't stand a chance, assuming we don't commit huge fratricide first.
Image Image
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Likely the Mess would take control of the group, simply by virtue that they would know the best way to set up defenses. At least in the short term, that means we will all be saluting supreme commander Jegs2. Longer run, it shouldn't be too hard to start expanding outward from a safe area, clearing out zombies as we go and bringing in survivors. Any small survivor colony would be pretty democratic on most internal matters, however once civilazation reasserts itself, we'd likely go back to our respective governments.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Alex Moon wrote:Likely the Mess would take control of the group, simply by virtue that they would know the best way to set up defenses. At least in the short term, that means we will all be saluting supreme commander Jegs2. Longer run, it shouldn't be too hard to start expanding outward from a safe area, clearing out zombies as we go and bringing in survivors. Any small survivor colony would be pretty democratic on most internal matters, however once civilazation reasserts itself, we'd likely go back to our respective governments.
I'd rather Wong be the civilian Commander in Chief.
Image Image
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Who's a walking anti-arsenal, has experenece cobblering togther weapons from materials on hand and has put togther a Zombie survial plan for each state he's lived in?

Oh yeah. :P Me, myself and I :wink:

We arm up, I won't be armed intialy due to Canada's laws on arms unless I get across the border with a few toys.

How much of a warning do we get before the Zombie outbreak? I don't think anyone here minds maxing a few credit cards at Guns "R" Us considering civilisation is about to fall apart.

Single shot rifles and semi-automatics are the ones we want. We need scopes and bionics along with all the basic essentials. We need to secure a base of operation and being it's Toronto we can start setting up anti-zombie sniper nests atop the roofs ala Bonsia. Sooner or later we will have gotten ourselves a clearzone. But that only works if we have a few hundred thousand rounds of ammunitions for the population of Toronto. Otherwise we need to get clear of the city and fortify the HELL out of one building.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, this is a good a chance as any to put down the key details of my zombie survival strategy.

Melee Weapon - Splitting axe. Good, reliable, devastating. Easily able to achieve decapitation and severing of limbs, not overly heavy for the average person to carry and its as common as muck. Should the head or shaft ever break a replacement is never far away. Should it go blunt, you still have a good heavy thing to beat zombies with.

Ranged Weapon 1 - Forget bows and arrows and all that shit (and I defer to our experts on firearms, though personally I'd say give me an FN-FAL and reliable autoloader pistol). The weapon of choice should be Molotov Cocktails. Burn it down! LETS BURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOWN! Assuming of course that you have taken any half decent protective measures and have enough brains to not use one in your own safe zone, then use of molotovs in a reasonable fashion (watch the movie "Hostage" for an example of "unreasonable") can easily hamper all but the most prodigious undead assaults.

Protective Gear - Tight fitting clothing to prevent easy grasping/grabbing. A balaclava/skimask combo with a bandanna or similar as well to prevent any infection via blood spatter to nose/mouth/eyes. Alternatively, if a fight is expected, a motorcycle helmet will serve admirably if a riot helmet isn't available. Also recommended - motorbike gloves with surgical gloves underneath. And another easily aquired item, a thick foam neckbrace to prevent easy access to the neck without providing the snagging/grabbing risk that a scarf would have.

Transport - Mountain bikes, dirt bikes and some ATVs. Speed, maneuvrability and in dire situations the ability to manhandle your vehicle cannot be surpassed.

Essential 1 - Water. As soon as we get the first indication that shits going down, its time to get as much bottled water as we can. And then fill any available container with yet more water. And then get any and all water purification tablets/other gear we can get. Do you understand me yet?

Essential 2 - Food. As distasteful as they may be, dehydrated and tinned meals combined with high-dose vitamin and mineral supplements. It mightn't be good for you in the long run, but it will keep you going in the short term.

Essential 3 - Shelter. Sleeping bags are out as they constrict you too much and prevent a rapid response to an imminent and likely close quarters threat (unless you use them unzipped). Any shelter with only one entrance is out as it limits your options. Shelter should allow for ease of defense, ease of concealment (light and noise discipline people) and ease of transportation. A tarpaulin and a warm blanket, though again, unpleasant is what is probably best for the short term.

Luxuries 1 - Communication. Radios are the king here. Satphones might be grand and all, but I prefer something that has an infrastructure all of its own.

Luxuries 2 - A base. I'll defer to local knowledge on this matter.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote: I'd rather Wong be the civilian Commander in Chief.
Personally, I'd rather not.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The key thing to have in any zombie situation are items which follow the 3 R's rule which I have made up.

Reliability - the item must be amongst the most reliable of its kind with a severe shortage of flaws, problems or gripes. eg, don't use a katana when the good old splitting axe will do.

Replaceablity - its no point getting good with something or planning to use it in the long term if you can't get another one just the same without trying hard.

Redundancy - in terms of it having a second function, be it being able to be scavenged for parts or a rifle that is usable as a club, or having its key components be able to be used in a replacement. For example, its no point at all to have a single M249 SAW with thousands of rounds of ammo, if when it breaks and we can no longer fix it with limited resources, we find everyone else is using 7.62mm NATO and has no use for the ammunition. Even more relevant - try and get every item we carry running off the same kind of rechargable battery (it makes logistics a fuck-ton easier). Everything must have at least secondary purpose.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

weemadando wrote:Well, this is a good a chance as any to put down the key details of my zombie survival strategy.

Melee Weapon - Splitting axe. Good, reliable, devastating. Easily able to achieve decapitation and severing of limbs, not overly heavy for the average person to carry and its as common as muck. Should the head or shaft ever break a replacement is never far away. Should it go blunt, you still have a good heavy thing to beat zombies with.
I, personally, would take a big machete over an axe. They're handy, can be used in a variety of situations, and it's harder for a zombie to grab a hold of it.
Ranged Weapon 1 - Forget bows and arrows and all that shit (and I defer to our experts on firearms, though personally I'd say give me an FN-FAL and reliable autoloader pistol).
As much as I adore the polymer-frame duty autoloaders in my collection, I'll take a revolver, or two. Or three. Either a good double-action revolver in a man-stopping or small-game stopping caliber, like .357 Magnum, a .44 Magnum for those denizens who are big enough to be gluttons for punishment, or a good old copy of the 1873 Colt Single-Action Army, chambered in .45 Colt. If zombies truly fuck over civilization, I want something that can be reloaded with cast-lead bullets and black powder. And the fact that popular revolver rounds are also found in things like Winchester or Marlin-style lever-action rifles is a big plus. (It also helps that .357 Magnum guns will shoot .38 Special, and .44 Magnum will shoot .44 Special for the less-sturdy among us.) Not to mention these are relatively simple actions to maintain and repair.
Protective Gear - Tight fitting clothing to prevent easy grasping/grabbing. A balaclava/skimask combo with a bandanna or similar as well to prevent any infection via blood spatter to nose/mouth/eyes. Alternatively, if a fight is expected, a motorcycle helmet will serve admirably if a riot helmet isn't available. Also recommended - motorbike gloves with surgical gloves underneath. And another easily aquired item, a thick foam neckbrace to prevent easy access to the neck without providing the snagging/grabbing risk that a scarf would have.

Gotta be careful not to overdress. Otherwise you lose mobility and long-term endurance. If we are to go dressed like a biker gang, you'd might as well throw in some thick leather jackets and maybe some riding chaps while you're at. They'll provide protection against slips and falls and some zombie attacks.
Essential 1 - Water. As soon as we get the first indication that shits going down, its time to get as much bottled water as we can. And then fill any available container with yet more water. And then get any and all water purification tablets/other gear we can get. Do you understand me yet?
Teaching people how to boil water in metal pots is good too. Water purification tablets are good, but if you lose them in a scuffle with zombies, you'll want to be able to make drinkable water when cursing yourself around your camp stove at night.
Essential 2 - Food. As distasteful as they may be, dehydrated and tinned meals combined with high-dose vitamin and mineral supplements. It mightn't be good for you in the long run, but it will keep you going in the short term.
Don't forget things like jerky and nuts and dried fruits. It'll add some variety to the survival diet while remaining easy to schlep around.

(korrekted fer spelleeng!)
Last edited by GrandMasterTerwynn on 2006-04-24 03:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Well if its a SDN party, there will be booze booze booze.

Start making molotovs I guess and wait for the Mess people to 'aquire' as many firearms as possible.

Then I guess its passive defense of the most secure building we have access to as well as building improvised melee weapons, boards with nails in them e.t.c. It's not like we're all going to 'spawn' with AK's or anything....

AS well as raiding everything we can for food and supplies before the zombies arrive. Fill up as many containers as possible with water before the water supplies fail e.t.c.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, I'm on the list. First, I try to stay the fuck out of everyone's way. All my weapon expertise involves close-range armament (think within biting distance, or too close to it to be comfortable), so my utility there is extremely limited except as a desperate last resort.

How susceptible are the zombies to fire? And how close is the nearest gas station? :twisted:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I'm guessing that several of the people on the board have read the Zombie Survival Guide. AS long as people don't freak out too much they might just be OK, but the big problem is going to be the large number of people in the group. FOod and water are going to be scarce.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Zombie Survival Guide should be read, and then almost totally ignored. The guy is ignorant of many of the basic realities of life (katana as the best melee weapon? Bull-fucking-shit). Some points he makes are good, but the vast majority are fucking crap.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Are we talking the remake zombies? If so, we're fucked for the most part, no matter how good you are at shooting, hacking or generally hiding and scavenging. You don't last long without sitting in a fort to die when confronted with millions of athletic sprinting cannibals with uncanny tolerance to damage.

Personally, I find the Resident Evil: Outbreak opening to be a better scenario to try and survive, but it starts in a bar with only a half dozen people or so.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Remake zombies mean that you head for the fucking hills... Find a nice little piece of goddamn near-inaccessable real-estate and start living a subsistance based existance.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
weemadando wrote:Well, this is a good a chance as any to put down the key details of my zombie survival strategy.

I, personally, would take a big machete over an axe. They're handy, can be used in a variety of situations, and it's harder for a zombie to grab a hold of it.
Harder for a zombie to grab a hold of, yes, but lets look at all the things you can EASILY use an axe for besides zombie killing and that you cannot use a machete for (the 3 Rs and all that factor into my thinking a lot here):

Cutting wood
Knocking down doors (using the blunt side of the head)
Hacking through doors/walls (a vital escape ploy in dire situatiuons)
Hammer
Walking stick (if you aren't too tall)
Bludgeon weapon for if you only need to restrain someone

That's just off the top of my head. Sure, if I had room I'd ALSO take a machete, as is really only second on the list of convenient and useful melee weapons.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

dies from lack of insulin and becomes the first undead to demand coffee instead of brains.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin