Tonight's South Park

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Joe
Space Cowboy

Tonight's South Park

Post by Joe »

So I guess Comedy Central really did cave in, huh? My respect for that network has gone down a few notches.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Details?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wicked episode. That was awesome, even though Comedy Central shilled out. However, the Al Qaeda retaliation video was awesome. "Oh yeah! We burned you! And that was way funnier than Family Guy!"
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm not going to describe the whole episode, but apparently they wanted to show an image of Mohammad on the show and Comedy Central refused to air it.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Or was that part of the show, done by Parker and Stone themselves as a gag?
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

It's possible, I doubt it. They warned that Comedy Central was probably going to pussy out on last week's episode for some reason, and now we know why.

KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

CDiehl wrote:Or was that part of the show, done by Parker and Stone themselves as a gag?
I think they did, and it was a smack in the face for pulling the "Stuck in a Closet" episode. But who knows.

I like the guy who gave Kyle a ride. What he said about Family Guy, is part of the reason I like that show.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

I find Comedy Central's decision quite odd, considering that South Park already has shown an episode featuring Mohammed some time ago....
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Shadow WarChief wrote:I find Comedy Central's decision quite odd, considering that South Park already has shown an episode featuring Mohammed some time ago....
Come on, do you really believe that was Comedy Central's doing?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Shadow WarChief wrote:I find Comedy Central's decision quite odd, considering that South Park already has shown an episode featuring Mohammed some time ago....
Come on, do you really believe that was Comedy Central's doing?
This sounds a little suspicious, but Comedy Central did after all pull showing both the Catholic episode, and the scientology one.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Both episodes seemed a bit too slow moving actually, to the point where some scenes dragged on past where they stopped being funny and became annoying.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Damn hypocritical spineless pansies. It seems that all are not equal in the respective worlds of PC and satire.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

I missed both previously pulled episodes in question, but if Comedy Central did have it filtered, wouldn't they have just blanked it rather than put up a notice?

Oh, at btw, does anyone else think the Kyle/Cartman fight could've used the TOS Kirk-fu music?
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I liked the callback to when they aired a mock T&P special when people were expecting the second part of "Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut". Other than that, it seemed blah-er than I was hoping. Seemed to be trying to make too many points about the whole contreversy to not come off as disjointed.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Thag wrote:Oh, at btw, does anyone else think the Kyle/Cartman fight could've used the TOS Kirk-fu music?
Any music would have sufficed. The lacks of music sorta seemed to make the whole fight drag on.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

felineki wrote:
Thag wrote:Oh, at btw, does anyone else think the Kyle/Cartman fight could've used the TOS Kirk-fu music?
Any music would have sufficed. The lacks of music sorta seemed to make the whole fight drag on.
Now that I've seen it.. i get the joke.

It's a crack at the long, random and pointless 'chickenman fight' segments of Family guy.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Which one was that again?
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Which one was that again?
Super Best Friends. Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Joseph Smith (Mormon founder), and Seaman (an Aquaman ripoff) work together to overthrow a cult based off of David Blane's magic tricks.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

'Cowabunga, motherfucker!' - Bart Simpson. :D

The ideas ball also had me in stitches. And also the self-mocking of South Park with the overly-preachy ribs was good to see - I guess we may see a few non-current event episodes coming up to try and balance out the preachyness.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

The Terrence and Philip thing got me wondering if they meant to air this episode closer to April Fool's day, but pushed it back a few weeks for the Chef thing.

Also, the Al Qaeda cartoon was the funniest fucking thing I've ever seen.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That was fucking comedy gold! The Com. Cen. bit was obviously Stone and Parker mocking the execs who gave in to Cruise and Scientology and as for the fight, that was obviously a jab at the Chicken Coupon fight. I didn't see any parts of the two episodes dragging on, it was all either bloody hilarious or got you thinking.

I did so love the comparison between Bart and Eric though.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Hahah, that was great "I cut the head off a statue once" "I ground up some kid's parents and made him eat them." I thought it was cool how Kyle converted Bart with a "gay speech." I really liked the self-fun jokes about having a preachy message vs random jokes and the AQ cartoons/false subtitles.

As a sidenote, the woman who does Bart's voice is apparently a scientologist.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

I thought it was the woman who does Lisa's voice.
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Well you should've known better! :P
scientology.org/p_jpg/scnnews/scn_new.htm#BART wrote:An internationally syndicated article by the Washington Post, reported on Nancy Cartwright, the voice of the famous cartoon character Bart Simpson and co-host of the Church of Scientology’s 40th anniversary celebration at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. In the article, Nancy explains how she became a Scientologist several years ago when she was looking for a committed relationship:

"In Hubbard’s works, Cartwright encountered a passage on shedding the pain of loss. ’I felt he was talking directly to me,’ said Cartwright, who said she has had her share of unrequited loves. ’I said to myself, I want to stop that feeling."

Nancy, who is now happily married with two children, told the Post that Scientology auditing "enriched her personally and professionally."
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Nephtys' BS Translator wrote:"I felt he was talking directly at me. I had no idea what to turn to, and it certainly wasn't going to be inner strength or personal resolve. So thankfully, I am now Thetan-free with the help of the Loyalty Squads. Thank you, L. Ron Hubbard!"