Dumb American tourists

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Dumb American tourists

Post by weemadando »

Sorry to cause offense, but a lady here in the cafe just came out with this:

Her: So how long have you lived in Hobart for?
Me: About 4 years, I moved down here for university.
H: *total shock and disbelief* You have a university here?
M: Yeeessss...
H: Really? *incredulous*
M: Yes.
Another customer: It is the capital city...
H: Really?
AC: Yes.
H: You know I thought that Tasmania was uninhabited, until I arrived in Australia that is. I mean, I saw the nature shows with the Tasmanian Devils, but I thought the whole place was a nature preserve, like the Galapagos Islands...
*everyone else in cafe, including a swedish guy and a few other Tasmanians look on somewhat bemused*
*She gets a look on her face that says: "I've proved myself to be an utter idiot haven't I?"*
*motionless nodding all round*
H: Thankyou, bye...

This is by no means an isolated incident, I get this, or a variant thereof several times a week. And guess what? Its uniformly Americans that do it.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

We're trying to export our idiot population. Stupid bastards won't take the hint though; they keep coming back here.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Nothing new to me. I've quite a few American tourists while living in St. Petersburg.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

fgalkin wrote:Nothing new to me. I've quite a few American tourists while living in St. Petersburg.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I've "encountered" quite a few American tourists, that is. :oops:

DAMN, on EDIT button.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Amusing. Wish they'd stay over there. :)

Still, I think the title is something approaching flamebait, don't you? You could've at least left out the "fucking" part. It had very little to do with sex, after all. :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

RogueIce wrote:Amusing. Wish they'd stay over there. :)

Still, I think the title is something approaching flamebait, don't you? You could've at least left out the "fucking" part. It had very little to do with sex, after all. :wink:
By the way. It's Stupid American Tourists. The rest of us are smart enough to stay home so we won't go and do dumb things like that. :D
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Another conversation:

*full cafe, no computers free*
*elderly american guy, probably a retiree on holiday walks in with his wife*
Him: *THICK Texan accent* Ah wanna yooz da inner-net. [sic]
Me: We don't have any computers free at the moment, but if you would like to wait for a few minutes -
Him: You know who ah ahm bu-ooee?
Me: *rolls eyes*
Him: Ahm an 'Merican!
Me: Indeed, but, we don't have any computers spare at the moment, so if you would like to -
Him: Ah don't think you uhnderstand bu-ooee. I'm an 'Merican an' ah wanna use da inner-net.
Me: *exasperated and pissed off* Sir, all of our computers are in use, but if you would like ot take a seat and wait, I'm sure one will -
Him: *looking likes he's been slapped* Bu-ooee! I'm tellin' yooo, I don' wanna wait - *his wife steps in and is MUCH more polite and tells me that they'd be quite happy to wait, and would I be so kind as to make her a tea*

Again, not an isolated incident.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

RogueIce wrote:

By the way. It's Stupid American Tourists. The rest of us are smart enough to stay home so we won't go and do dumb things like that. :D
No, you stay at home and say dumb things like that one the net. :roll:
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

weemadando wrote:Another conversation:

Me: We don't have any computers free at the moment, but if you would like to wait for a few minutes -
Me: Indeed, but, we don't have any computers spare at the moment, so if you would like to -
Him: Ah don't think you uhnderstand bu-ooee. I'm an 'Merican an' ah wanna use da inner-net.
Me: *exasperated and pissed off* Sir, all of our computers are in use, but if you would like ot take a seat and wait, I'm sure one will -
Him: *looking likes he's been slapped* Bu-ooee! I'm tellin' yooo, I don' wanna wait - *his wife steps in and is MUCH more polite and tells me that they'd be quite happy to wait, and would I be so kind as to make her a tea*

Well, that's Texans for you... :D

Anyway, I still don't see anything about sex... :wink:

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

weemadando wrote:No, you stay at home and say dumb things like that one the net. :roll:
I've never said stuff like that!

*thinks about the comment some more*

Oh shit, just did it... :oops:

:D j/k

Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Perinquus wrote:We're trying to export our idiot population. Stupid bastards won't take the hint though; they keep coming back here.
You have my sympathys, just dont send them to my museum.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

weemadando wrote:

Another conversation:

Good thing that most tourists in St. Petersburg were so dumbofunded by the difference between what they expected to see (wooden izbas and bears parading on the streets) and what they saw in reality, that they were incapable of speaking. :D

My condolences to you, Ando. Working for the tourism industry is hell.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

fgalkin wrote:Good thing that most tourists in St. Petersburg were so dumbofunded by the difference between what they expected to see (wooden izbas and bears parading on the streets) and what they saw in reality, that they were incapable of speaking. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Wait a minute, St Petersburg is right across the Bay from me, and I've never seen any of that!! :shock:

:D (j/k - I think phogn (sp? - dammit all) is from around Tampa Bay, so he'd probably get it. And anyone else who's been to/knows about the Tampa Bay area in Florida, USA)

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

RogueIce wrote:
fgalkin wrote:Good thing that most tourists in St. Petersburg were so dumbofunded by the difference between what they expected to see (wooden izbas and bears parading on the streets) and what they saw in reality, that they were incapable of speaking. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Wait a minute, St Petersburg is right across the Bay from me, and I've never seen any of that!! :shock:

:D (j/k - I think phogn (sp? - dammit all) is from around Tampa Bay, so he'd probably get it. And anyone else who's been to/knows about the Tampa Bay area in Florida, USA)
I know of your cheap rip-off of the capital of the mighty Russian Empire. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

fgalkin wrote:I know of your cheap rip-off of the capital of the mighty Russian Empire. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Cheap? Well, they have...uh...um...they have...the...uh...Tampa Bay Devil Rays! Yeah, that's it!

I'll show myself out...

:)

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: Stupid fucking Americans...

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

weemadando wrote:Sorry to cause offense, but a lady here in the cafe just came out with this:

Her: So how long have you lived in Hobart for?
Me: About 4 years, I moved down here for university.
H: *total shock and disbelief* You have a university here?
M: Yeeessss...
H: Really? *incredulous*
M: Yes.
Another customer: It is the capital city...
H: Really?
AC: Yes.
H: You know I thought that Tasmania was uninhabited, until I arrived in Australia that is. I mean, I saw the nature shows with the Tasmanian Devils, but I thought the whole place was a nature preserve, like the Galapagos Islands...
*everyone else in cafe, including a swedish guy and a few other Tasmanians look on somewhat bemused*
*She gets a look on her face that says: "I've proved myself to be an utter idiot haven't I?"*
*motionless nodding all round*
H: Thankyou, bye...

This is by no means an isolated incident, I get this, or a variant thereof several times a week. And guess what? Its uniformly Americans that do it.
Why do Americans need to learn anything about the internal features of foreign countries, except by choice, considering their own nation is the third largest on Earth and has more internal diversity than the two largest? Even then, she should be complimented - She's traveling, and thus learning by experience. There's no necessity for Americans to travel; every experience and pleasure is contained within our own nation, and there is considerable risk abroad these days. So someone who does travel, and however ignorant at the beginning, learns as they do, ought be commended.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Sorry Ando. We were going to send our stupid to Canada, but they could just walk back in. Figured if we put em across a pond, they couldn't possibly swim back over. So Australia was the most logical. They're dumb enough to try what Steve Irwin does.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Why do Americans need to learn anything about the internal features of foreign countries, except by choice, considering their own nation is the third largest on Earth and has more internal diversity than the two largest? Even then, she should be complimented - She's traveling, and thus learning by experience. There's no necessity for Americans to travel; every experience and pleasure is contained within our own nation, and there is considerable risk abroad these days. So someone who does travel, and however ignorant at the beginning, learns as they do, ought be commended.
You have a point there... Funny though the stories may be, the arrogance displayed by the "native people" (by that I mean the people who live there, ie Aussies, Brits, French, etc; couldn't think of a better general term offhand) when dealing with tourists...

I bet if you came over here we'd be able to make you look pretty damn stupid about our own geography and locales.

And by "you" I don't mean Ando specifically, of course... But hey, anyone not from the area is at a disadvantage when visiting, and most people aren't going to spend hours looking to see if there's a university someplace... :roll:

Amusing story? Yeah. But it does tend to get tiresome...

Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Why do Americans need to learn anything about the internal features of foreign countries, except by choice, considering their own nation is the third largest on Earth and has more internal diversity than the two largest? Even then, she should be complimented - She's traveling, and thus learning by experience. There's no necessity for Americans to travel; every experience and pleasure is contained within our own nation, and there is considerable risk abroad these days. So someone who does travel, and however ignorant at the beginning, learns as they do, ought be commended.
While I wouldn't exactly brag that much about America, Duchess has some what of a point to this. America itself is highly diverse. If I was to travel however, I'd get a fucking clue about the country I'm going to. I mean, seriously, the one thing that peeves me the most around here are out of towners that can't even speak fucking english. Even though it's the most popular language in the entire fucking world. Only certain areas in the country have bilingual signs and shit. There is NOTHING like that in Alabama. Either way, like I said, I would at least learn the language, try to pick up the slangs and shit. Doesn't do to be ignorant, much less stupid.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Zeon wrote:Why do Americans need to learn anything about the internal features of foreign countries, except by choice,
You don’t, but it might help stop the stereotype that is continually being perpetuated. Especially when traveling abroad.
considering their own nation is the third largest on Earth and has more internal diversity than the two largest?
Proof? Besides which, are you going by land area or population? Canada has an extremely diverse population. As well, China and Russia are hardly monolithic blocks.
Even then, she should be complimented - She's traveling, and thus learning by experience.
Well, I suppose. Every traveler makes a goof-up here and there. As long as you learn from it.
There's no necessity for Americans to travel; every experience and pleasure is contained within our own nation, and there is considerable risk abroad these days.
I’ll agree about the risk part but I doubt that every experience and pleasure is within America. Unless the Pyramids, Great Wall, Angkor, etc… are currently being shipped over.

So someone who does travel, and however ignorant at the beginning, learns as they do, ought be commended.
As I said, if the person learns from their mistakes. In short Duchess, there are very good reasons to travel and see the world outside of any one nation's borders.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Damn! I mean to say Angkor Wat!

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

We had get the guy down the road to direct LotR before they could even find us on a map.
:D
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

XPViking wrote:
Proof? Besides which, are you going by land area or population? Canada has an extremely diverse population. As well, China and Russia are hardly monolithic blocks.
Russia may be the largest nation on Earth, and Canada the second - But in the northern climes such as they are, they do not have the range of climatic diversity as America, which also has Alaska, thus also matching their furthest northern climates. Our island outposts in the Caribbean and the Pacific complete the picture, giving us a whole range of experiences to be sampled without need for a passport, or crossing a national border.

India and China are indeed very diverse, far more diverse than most people realize, at that - But their diversity is equalled and matched by a USA which has taken immigrants from every part of those nations, and every part of the globe.
Well, I suppose. Every traveler makes a goof-up here and there. As long as you learn from it.
She may indeed be ignorant, but she is learning in her travels - and that willingness to travel is what speaks highly of her, the fact that she is willing and has indeed travelled, now, more highly than her ignorance speaks lowly of her.

I’ll agree about the risk part but I doubt that every experience and pleasure is within America. Unless the Pyramids, Great Wall, Angkor, etc… are currently being shipped over.
The Hopi villages? Cahokia? They may not be of the same nature as the Pyramids or Angkor, but we do have our own impressive and native constructs of notable age.

As I said, if the person learns from their mistakes. In short Duchess, there are very good reasons to travel and see the world outside of any one nation's borders.

XPViking
8)
And I was hardly disagreeing! I was just saying that ignorance prior to that - like her's - is not something that's necessarily a horrible evil. It's being rectified in her travels, after all.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

weemadando wrote:

Another conversation:

Good gravy! Was this slack jawed yocal wearing a giant cowboy hat?
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

This flamebait belongs in Politics why?