4%
None
34%

Total votes: 91

Chocolate Kiwii
Shroomy's love slave

How Much Television do you Watch?

Post by Chocolate Kiwii »

Be honest! Throughout the week about how many hours do you spend in front of the television?

Are you happy with your current regimen? What are you doing to change it? What do you wish you were investing your time in instead?
Our posturing, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are all challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -Carl Sagan

Creation and implementation of the Scientific Method. It's the one tool that unlocked our ability to realize our potential for discovering and unlocking all others. -Singular Intellect
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Re: How Much Television do you Watch?

Post by Dark Flame »

I probably average around 15 hours a week, although it's hard to judge because the TV is usually on all the time, I just don't pay full attention to it more than 15 hours a week.

I'm perfectly happy with it. I am entertained, and I can usually manage to multi-task while I'm watching so I can get other stuff done too.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Do you mean 'watch TV' or do you mean 'watch recorded entertainment media'? Because I watch zero television, but a lot of DVDs, webcasts, downloads, etc.
Chocolate Kiwii
Shroomy's love slave

Post by Chocolate Kiwii »

Do you mean 'watch TV' or do you mean 'watch recorded entertainment media'? Because I watch zero television, but a lot of DVDs, webcasts, downloads, etc.
Hrm. . .I guess that counts as long as your vegging in front of it.
Our posturing, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are all challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -Carl Sagan

Creation and implementation of the Scientific Method. It's the one tool that unlocked our ability to realize our potential for discovering and unlocking all others. -Singular Intellect
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Chocolate Kiwii wrote:
Hrm. . .I guess that counts as long as your vegging in front of it.
I'm not sure... since compiling a private library at least involves choice and also the deliberate effort to avoid commercials. Very different from either sitting zombie-like on the couch for hours on end to be passively bombarded by whatever comes forth on the box or spending an entire evening pointlessly channel-surfing in the vain hope of finding something, anydamnthing to watch for more than two minutes.

For myself, I watch a lot less TV than I used to, and finding that I'm not missing it all that much.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

I don't even own a TV :)
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

None. Haven't had cable or satellite since I moved from the high desert to the low desert, and since I live out in horse country; the off-air reception is terrible. I can't say that I really miss it all that much. Sure there are some shows and series that I do miss, like Discovery Channel's MythBusters, but that's what DVDs are for, so I don't have to sit through the insipid, intelligence-insulting swill that passes for most of the network's other programming (and the programming of every other network in general.)

Honestly, I'd rather be riding my bicycle, or building an R/C plane, or working out how to apply everything I've learned about R/C to robotics, or flying.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

When I was younger I was a TV junkie, and a Blockbuster whore. As I got into my 20s and 30s, though, I discovered that aside from a few series like Bab5 and (yes) Star Trek, I didn't have much interest in TV. My wife's probably in the 20 hours a week range.

Mostly these days, I watch Clone Wars with my son, and Californication and Curb Your Enthusiasm with the wife. HDTV Fuck Yeah!
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I probably spend about 5-6 hours watching television, although only 2 1/2 hours of that consists of watching the television passively (the remaining time is usually recorded programming that I'm watching, to eliminate commercials).

I don't watch as much television as I used to. A year ago, I probably watched about 10 hours a week.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I used to watch a lot of TV, but I just don't bother anymore. I'll occasionally put in a DVD, but I'm still on the internet doing other things while watching.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I'm down to MythBusters, Time Warp, and How it's Made, plus a couple minutes a day to check weather & traffic. And MMA events, though that's usually a party down at the bar with my friends or over at my buddy's place since he has a large screen TV. It adds up to less than 3 hours a week unless there's an MMA event going on which is usually about once a month.

I used to watch a lot more but university cured me of that, I went a year without TV and found I wasn't missing much, went from 20-25 hours a week in high school to nothing, then back to about 5-6 hours and then gradually dropped down to where I am now.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

4-5 hours, and only if you count TV shows I watch on my computer(Mythbusters, Top Gear, The Daily Show and sometimes the Colbert Report) ...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

3-6 hours of TV (mainly passive watching, like news in the morning while I get ready for work).
Up to 8 or so hours of pre-recorded media.
Up to 8 or so hours (if I'm lucky/lazy) of gaming in front of a TV.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I'd say no more than 4 hours of dedicated "I want to watch this" a week, but working for a company that sells TVs means that I see closer to 20+ hours a week.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I vote none at first since I lack a TV but I do watch a few shows via the net, mostly venture brothers, dexter and top gear.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

About three hours or less, I don't have cable* so I pretty much only watch tv when I'm over at my mom's house.

*I have cable internet, but not television
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I watch football, college and pro.

Other than that I get NCIS off of iTunes.

The rest of my TV watching is sporadic.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Cable TV is pointless when you have high speed internet. Everything you need is right infront of you to save and watch at your leisure. Only time I turn on the tv is for news. Even that is changing as I find the simple news feed on firefox far more informative and timely.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'll watch football games or Villanova basketball, and occasionally I'll catch Mythbusters, Keith Olbermann/Rachel Maddow, or The Daily Show, but that's about it. I do watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Hulu, but I've caught up on season 5 now, so that's only another half-hour.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Basically nil. On some weeks I might accumulate an hour or so of state-level news, but that's about it. The internet is my main time-waster, but even there I am reading websites and not watching media.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Practically none. I threw my television out a couple of years ago. If i want to see a soccer match i go to down to the bar. I watch DVDs with my girlfriend or mates, though and am happy with the way it is so i don´t do anything to change it. :)

A couple of weeks ago i was at a friends place and i noticed that i really can´t watch TV anymore without getting agressive. The permanent advertisment is one thing that makes my finger nails curl but the even more important thing is that the shows are made to entertain retards by showing off even more retarded retards. We saw "Germany´s got talent" and i can only picture it as pack of special ed dropouts beating up a kid with down syndrome. It´s so stupid that i can´t even laugh about it. It´s just sad. I actually found it a lot worse than the "kick me in the balls" show from Idiocracy.
Last edited by salm on 2009-11-24 08:07am, edited 2 times in total.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

None. We have no television.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Our TV is only for gaming. If there's something we really, really want to watch, we can probably catch it online.

I know SDN isn't a representative sample of the population at all, but are more people ditching their TVs or TV viewing these days when they can get internet instead?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I don't even own a TV at the moment, I used to be a real TV junkie but when I moved and it got broken I just sorta stopped watching and realised I wasn't really missing much. Anything I would want to watch I can see online, if I want to watch a movie I can rent it and watch it on my PC, games come out clearer on my monitor and mostly what I used to watch was just the music channels all day while there was nothing else on, and youtube/itunes/WMP take care of music and like salm if I want to watch some sport its much more fun to go to a bar and watch it with some friends.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

If it's just the weekdays, it's probably in the 3-6 hour range. But on the weekends, holy shit. Especially now that it's football season. The TV goes on at noon on Saturday and goes off when the last game is off the air. Same deal on Sunday.

Call it six hours per day on the weekends(though the TV is on, I'm usually doing other stuff) plus another five hours total for the weekdays.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.