"Pauses" in written dialogue

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TempestSong
Youngling

"Pauses" in written dialogue

Post by TempestSong »

This has always been something I've wondered while writing my personal project's script: How does one indicate "pauses" in dialogue when you don't have room for describing people's actions in text? I'm speaking of dialogue in stuff like comics and game text, where you see characters' words but the action is told through graphics.

I've heard that using commas to add breaks is bad form, and that ellipses are even worse overused by many others.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: "Pauses" in written dialogue

Post by General Zod »

As long as they aren't abused ellipses do the job just fine.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

In dialogue, it's more flexible, since people don't always use proper rules of language when speaking. If you have someone trying to talk and they are wrestling with phrasing, or language, or whatever, you can use the ". . ." or the "--" but if you do it too much it looks amateurish.

You can also imply pauses if the situation and dialogue would logically demand it:

"Wait," he said, "Don't go in there. It's too dangerous."

Adding 'he said' adds a pause without making a big deal out of it, and has more delivery than:

"Wait, don't go in there. It's too dangerous," he said.

Or, you can just completely break it up entirely and use it as part of the action.

"DON'T!" he yelled. The others turned to look at him. "It's too dangerous," he said.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

In comics this can be done by using two connected dialogue balloons, one for the stuff before the pause and another, lower in the panel, for the stuff after. For longer pauses you can split the dialogue into two panels with a third panel of silence between them.

For video games, just program in a delay before the post-pause dialogue is displayed, or use ellipses.

Personally, I never liked the JRPG-style "box of text" method of displaying dialogue. If you can, I'd recommend you use something more akin to what was done in the LucasArts adventure games from The Secret of Monkey Island onward, and have the text shown in real-time above the speaking character's head. That allows you to easily show character movement and speech at the same time and lets you use timing tricks to better indicate the manner in which the dialogue would be spoken.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Weird. I was just wondering this the other night.

Like, how would you write Kirk or Christopher Walken and properly convey their quirky ways of speaking to someone that had never actually heard them speak before?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

havokeff wrote:Weird. I was just wondering this the other night.

Like, how would you write Kirk or Christopher Walken and properly convey their quirky ways of speaking to someone that had never actually heard them speak before?
For Kirk I'd use a lot of ellipses. I'm not sure what I'd do with Walken offhand.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm guessing that with Walken, you may need to actually write a description of how he talks as there is no way to write the way his tone changes or the specific emphasis he puts on certain words or syllables.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

"Spock... don't... go in there. It's... too dangerous!"

Like that? :D
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Coyote wrote:"Spock... don't... go in there. It's... too dangerous!"

Like that? :D
Pretty much. :P
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Coyote wrote:If you have someone trying to talk and they are wrestling with phrasing, or language, or whatever, you can use the ". . ." or the "--" but if you do it too much it looks amateurish.
Hmm, I forgot about the hyphen now that I think about it. I'm guessing hyphens would be used for sudden, flash pauses, while ellipses would be used for normal, flowing pauses.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

"I want," said Holly with absolutely no hesitation what-so-over, "to be a genius again."
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

The convention I'm familiar with in script writing is [beat].