NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

NFL 08 Thread

Post by Havok »

Well, since my Niners played their first game, the NFL preseason has officially started. :wink:

Smith looked good. The D looks like it's still trying to gel. They were flying around though, which I like to see

Let the games begin.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Skins Defense looks to be good as it used to be in years past the problem will be the O-line which just looked awful in its first outing. yes they had Heyor and not Samuels at LT but Heyor was a damn fine tackle at Maryland and part of the reason they could run the ball so I'm rather suprised he did as poorly as he did. Anyway the right side with Thomas and Jansen should have been much better than it was and Wade looked so-so at best. Simply put the O-line is a real worry and with a young Q it has me thinking 8-8 unless they gel in the next few weeks.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

My Cleveland Browns won their preseason opener. Solid defense only gave up 3 points. The offense, however, was shaky. A fumble returned all the way by the Chiefs and a safety given up by Ken Dorsey were the low points. Hopefully, we will get the bugs ironed out (both of KC's defensive TD's were from stupid mistakes.) And hopefully the special teams will continue to play like they played. We won the game in the last minute and a half with a kickoff returned 88 yards for a TD! :lol:

Also, Brady Quinn did not play at all. Kind of surprising, but I'm sure he will get into the next few preseason games.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Fins beat the jags.

We're still gonna suck. Look at the roster. Damn buncha rookies. I'm going to practice crying. (Not that I need it, I do it all season every year.)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Matt Leinart settled with his baby mama. She's getting $12,500 a month in child support plus there's some sort of visitation schedule set up where he'll go see the kid in LA one weekend a month and she'll bring the kid to Phoenix one weekend a month etc....

:?

Is it bad to start the season thinking that your "local" team's starting quarterback is a tool?

Further evidence is that he's been known to make out with Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. So basically his college girlfriend was no longer good enough for him when he became "the shit".

To be fair, it seems somewhat convenient that they aren't together but she happened to get knocked up.

Actually how does that work? Is it the last second good bye sex that somehow makes people more fertile. I mean, it apparently happened to Tom Brady too. Or, is it more of a "I have a good thing but not that I'm really rich and famous there are all these hot women that want me so I think I'm going to go with that"?

As for actually playing football. The Cardinals have done just enough to give me a little hope that they might actually be good this year but I know that something will happen to quash that, even with the easiest schedule in the league (at least to start) I'm betting they'll find a way to pooch things somehow.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Chardok wrote:Fins beat the jags.

We're still gonna suck. Look at the roster. Damn buncha rookies. I'm going to practice crying. (Not that I need it, I do it all season every year.)
Don't forget over in the college game you can always root against Alabama. I'm thinking LSU vs 'Bama ought to be pretty good. :twisted:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

Thomas Jones is already injured! Let the festivities begin!

*sobs*
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Cowboys beat the Super Bowl champs with Romo going 10 out of 11. *shrug* Just the pre-season though, and I don't give much credit for beating Peyton's team when he only plays one quarter.

I'll wait 'til September 9 to get excited. Bring on the Giants! :twisted:
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Tsyroc wrote:Matt Leinart settled with his baby mama. She's getting $12,500 a month in child support plus there's some sort of visitation schedule set up where he'll go see the kid in LA one weekend a month and she'll bring the kid to Phoenix one weekend a month etc....
Totally OFF TOPIC: Why the FUCK, does this chick need a third of what I make a year, A MONTH? Allimony is fucking bullshit. This is like state sponsored prostitution, except she only has to have sex once. :evil:

On Topic: Even though they are in the division, I'm hoping the Cardinals do well this year.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Revan's Fire
Youngling

Post by Revan's Fire »

I have absolutely no idea how my Steelers are going to be this year. Absolutely no idea. Against New Orleans, Roethlisberger looked like he did during his first two seasons, and our D was practically unbeatable. Against the Packers? Offense struggles, Batch nearly outperforms Big Ben, and although Bryant McFadden and Polamalu were wonderful, we couldn't stop their second string quarterback all game!

Paranoia, thy name is preseason
"If there's one thing I hate, it's voluptuous whores!"

"I am Advanced Recon Commando A-17, Republic Army, under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi. That is all I am authorized to reveal."-Clone Wars Volume 5, Dark Horse Comics
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

NeoGoomba wrote:J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

*sobs*
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ! Can that team ever catch a break? :roll:
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Well, we did get him for practically a song, so theres our break for the season :P

He SHOULD be ready by the season opener, but that just spells trouble for the first quarter of the season. If he can go 3-4 games without aggrivating it, I'll be much calmer.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Elfdart wrote:

*sobs*
Yeah, they get a nice morale boost every time the play the dolphins....
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

John McCargo's foot is hurting...again. Thank whatever next year's draft is deep with D-lineman. No doubt Paul Pozsluzny will get first team reps after a solid performance and John DiGiorgio's air headed Mike Linebacking.

Is Darryl Revis still holding out?
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Revan's Fire
Youngling

Post by Revan's Fire »

Falkenhayn wrote:Is Darryl Revis still holding out?
According to the New York Times, late Tuesday night (1-2 hours ago) 'substantial progress' was made on his contract, so although nothing definite yet, it looks good.
"If there's one thing I hate, it's voluptuous whores!"

"I am Advanced Recon Commando A-17, Republic Army, under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi. That is all I am authorized to reveal."-Clone Wars Volume 5, Dark Horse Comics
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

A table of how many games each team has against teams that had winning records last year.

AFC North

Baltimore- 5 games (New England, New York, San Diego, Indianapolis, Seattle)
Cinncinnati- 6 games (Baltimore (2), New England, New York, Kansas City Seattle)
Pittsburgh- 5 games (Baltimore (2), New England, New York, Seattle)
Cleveland- 5 games (Baltimore (2), New England, New York, Seattle)

AFC South

Indianapolis- 5 games (Baltimore, New England, San Diego, Kansas City, New Orleans)
Tennessee- 6 games (Indianapolis (2), New York, San Diego, Kansas City, New Orleans)
Jacksonville- 5 games (Indianapolis (2), San Diego, Kansas City, New Orleans)
Houston- 5 games (Indianapolis (2), San Diego, Kansas City, New Orleans)

AFC East

New England- 7 games (Baltimore, Indianapolis, New York (2), San Diego, Philadelphia, Dallas)
New York- 6 games (Baltimore, New England (2), Kansas City, Philadelphia, Dallas)
Buffalo- 7 games (Baltimore, New England (2), New York (2), Philadelphia, Dallas)
Miami- 7 games (Baltimore, New England (2), New York (2), Philadelphia, Dallas)

AFC West

San Diego- 6 Games (Baltimore, Indianapolis, New England, Kansas City (2), Seattle)
Kansas City- 5 games (Indianapolis, New York, San Diego (2), Seattle)
Denver- 6 games (Indianapolis, San Diego (2), Kansas City (2), Seattle)
Oakland- 6 games (Indianapolis, San Diego (2), Kansas City (2), Seattle)

NFC North

Chicago- 6 games (San Diego, Kansas City, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Dallas, Seattle)
Green Bay- 6 games (San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago (2), Philadelphia, Dallas)
Minnesota- 6 games (San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago (2), Philadelphia, Dallas)
Detroit- 6 games (San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago (2), Philadelphia, Dallas)

NFC South

New Orleans- 4 games (Indianapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia, Seattle)
Carolina- 5 games (Indianapolis, New Orleans (2), Dallas, Seattle)
Atlanta- 4 games (Indianapolis, New Orleans (2), Seattle)
Tampa Bay- 4 games (Indianapolis, New Orleans (2), Seattle)

NFC East

Philadelphia- 7 games (New England, New York, Chicago, New Orleans, Dallas (2), Seattle)
Dallas- 5 games (New England, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia (2))
New York- 7 games (New England, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia (2), Dallas (2))
Washington 7 games (New England, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia (2), Dallas (2))

NFC West

Seattle- 4 games (Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans)
St. Louis- 5 games (Baltimore, New Orleans, Dallas, Seattle (2))
San Francisco- 4 games (Baltimore, New Orleans, Seattle (2))
Arizona- 4 games (Baltimore, New Orleans, Seattle (2))
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Chardok wrote:
Elfdart wrote:

*sobs*
Yeah, they get a nice morale boost every time the play the dolphins....
Honest to God Chardok, if its that bad, I'll meet you at the Ralph this December with a thermous of Hot Chocolate and Scotch. Take solace from the fact that when Tom Brady isn't walking on water, recklessly siring children, or tossing INTs in the last five minutes of games, he's getting warm hugs from Jason Taylor.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thomas Jones will not miss a game of the regular season though, if that is any consolation.

Frankly I have a gut feeling this is going to be a weird year where much money can be made (against the Raiders) and much more can be lost (ex: Mike Vick).

Speaking of the Raitards. I believe that they have still not come to terms with JaMarcus Russell.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Thomas Jones will not miss a game of the regular season though, if that is any consolation.

Frankly I have a gut feeling this is going to be a weird year where much money can be made (against the Raiders) and much more can be lost (ex: Mike Vick).

Speaking of the Raitards. I believe that they have still not come to terms with JaMarcus Russell.
Nope and it ain't looking good. But oh goodie!! The have Culpepper.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
To bad they got rid of Moss. :roll:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Make of that what you will.
-Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Falkenhayn wrote:*snip irony*

Make of that what you will.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh. Yes. Ravens open with a great pre-season performance.

And, btw. Saveirio Rocca, you fucking suck. As an AFL footballer I hated you automatically. As a punter for Phillie I hate you just because.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Looks like Al Davis is the one who fell into the lava sands.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

weemadando wrote:Oh. Yes. Ravens open with a great pre-season performance.

And, btw. Saveirio Rocca, you fucking suck. As an AFL footballer I hated you automatically. As a punter for Phillie I hate you just because.
Then you must have loved it when that guy from the Ravens busted his chops.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Elfdart wrote:Looks like Al Davis is the one who fell into the lava sands.
Nah, Samuel Jackson just held a lightning rod too close to his face.

And on Revis, "We're pretty close, but we'll kind of see how it goes here," says Mangini. Thats such a crappy statement, it doesn't really instill much hope.
-Agent Kay