NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

NHL 2006/2007 Thread

Post by Darth Fanboy »

How'd your team fare?

I'm still coming off the adrenaline rush of the Ducks' 4-3 Victory over the Kings. Jiggy stopped all 22 shots he faced in the first period, the young guys showed the flashes of greatness they did last year, and the Pond...err... Honda Center was pretty electric.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2006-10-27 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What's the "NHL"?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Toronto got beaten 4-1 by Ottawa in the season opener, then we came back and creamed them 6-0 in the second game. Suck that you Ottawa bitches! Leafs look a lot better this year, of course any team will after dumping Arki Berg. If the young guys play well we should have a good season, there's a lot of promise in the team.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sharks beat the Blues in OT. Michalek continues to impress, and the Thornton-Cheechoo-Bell line put up a couple of critical points.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude »

Canucks (2-0) are looking sharper than expected. The foreheads (aka the Sedins) look like they may be legit first-liners and so far so good on Luongo.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The Leafs played well for the first two periods before a lack of effort in the 3rd led to the tying goal and eventual shootout loss. Instead of pushing the pace and trying for the insurance goal they sat back and gave the Habs too much puck possession, which led to the tying goal where no defending blue-shirts were within sight of the net. It's not as bad as the Arki Berg pass the puck to the other team in your own zone plays, but it still wasn't pretty.

There's a lot of talent and promise on the team but they need to work together as a team a lot better than they are. There were far too many missed passes, passes to nowhere, and players bumping into their own teammates and losing the puck. Team play and communication needs a lot of work. They're putting decently balanced lines on the ice for once so that's a good sign of progress.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ducks start the year 2-0 heading into a game against St. Louis Monday night. Looking much better on the Power play and Ilya Bryzgalov disappointed no one, letting only one puck past him and that was on a 2 man advantage.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Is there anyway whatsoever to stream NHL games online? :? Is ESPN carrying a single game this year? Am I boned a 2nd year in a row? [my cable provider is... well this is KANSAS]
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Kansas...hmmm...I think you're out of luck unless you get a satellite dish.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Is there anyway whatsoever to stream NHL games online? :? Is ESPN carrying a single game this year? Am I boned a 2nd year in a row? [my cable provider is... well this is KANSAS]
Well hopefully your local NBC will have a handful of games later on in the season, and if you get VS, (formerly OLN) you should get another few games.

Depending on your cable privder, NHL Center Ice is free for at least a little while. I've heard that a few hockey fans here in CA are currently able to enjoy it for at least a week free.

When baseball starts again in early April, they do a similar promition for both NHL and MLB so you might be able to get another free week or two of games then.

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Sabres are so far 3-0. Here's looking to another great season for the Sabres.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

The Dude wrote:so far so good on Luongo.
Made a great stop on Zetterberg in the opener. Hasek was less than great on the Linden and Salo goals (first one went off Naslund's goddamn head).

Rebounded by keeping the Kid and his mates from getting anywhere near the cage in a 2-0 win. Hasek got the shutout facing just 13 shots.

Cyran... lucky bastard, hideous uniform notwithstanding, this is the Sabres year. I put a ton of my fantasy picks towards them (Briere, Drury, Vanek, Miller, Spacek).
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Infidel7
Youngling

Post by Infidel7 »

The Jackets lost in OT on Friday to Vancouver, but took out the Blackhawks last night! Leading the Central Division, baby!
You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil—you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. –Dan Barker
Darth Garden Gnome

By the way, Fanboy, don't be surprised with 6+ wins in your division against the Kings this year--it's Cloutier, after all. Actually, you should probably try and drop as many games as you can to get LA into the first round of the playoffs, because it's essentially a bye if you get to face Clouts in April.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Captain Cyran wrote:Sabres are so far 3-0. Here's looking to another great season for the Sabres.
Hell yeah. My friends and I watched them slam the door on the Hurricanes and we were screaming so hard we were hoarse the whole next day.
JADAFETWA
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:By the way, Fanboy, don't be surprised with 6+ wins in your division against the Kings this year--it's Cloutier, after all.
The expectations on the Ducks Message Boards are for probably 14 or more standings points. But the Kings played us brutally tough in the opener although as the season progresses I'm hoping for much better victory margins. But the Ducks have recently had problems handling young, fast, great skill players.
Actually, you should probably try and drop as many games as you can to get LA into the first round of the playoffs, because it's essentially a bye if you get to face Clouts in April.
Sound idea but it's far more satisfying to destroy a rival's postseason hopes then watch them get into the playoffs just to lose in the first round.

Darth Garden Gnome

To show how much of a good sport I am:

Congrats, Kuja, Cyran, the Sabres did beat my Wings in a shootout last night. The Wings were an abysmal 0-8 on the power play. They blew a full out 2 minute 5-on-3 and a minute and a half of 4-on-3 in OT to help aid the Sabres' cause. Zetterberg, Williams, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom all with lame backhand shots in the shootout--surprised even the one squeeked through.

So, you know... your new unis are still a plague o' the NHL, but here as some kudos for your W.

They will be the last you ever receive.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I'm watching the Flyers get blown out by Buffalo right now, 9-1 Sabres early in the 3rd period at this rate it's going to be well into double digits by the end of the game.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Galiv
Youngling

Post by Galiv »

aerius wrote:I'm watching the Flyers get blown out by Buffalo right now, 9-1 Sabres early in the 3rd period at this rate it's going to be well into double digits by the end of the game.
5 point night for AFINOGENOV.

Sabres faced 38 shots, allowing 1. Flyers faced 37 shots allowing 9.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Hehehe. Fucking owned.

So Gnomey, what was that about our last W? :wink:
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

They're 5 and 0 for the time being. Nice start. Dare I jinx them with predictions of a Cup run?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Fucking pwnt.
JADAFETWA
Darth Garden Gnome

Yeah, the buffaslugs are a fun team to watch (especially donning the old school jerseys). The 9 goal holocaust for Philly pretty much forced them to put three guys on waivers. They were beat so bad they had to dismantle their roster.

It's just what Bobby Clarke and Ken Hitchcock deserve.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

DGG, Friendly game tonight early in the season between our clubs, predictions? I am incapable after the last two games.

Darth Garden Gnome

Would it be too much to say the Wings win in a shootout? :P

Actually, Detroit will take it's league-leading GAA into Anaheim and play well. Chris Pronger mistakes dimunitive Jiri Hudler for Steve Yzerman and tears his ACL on the ensuing missed check.

Andreas Lilja is exposed to gamma radiation and manages to score a hat trick somehow. Wings win 4-2.

Gnome, having stayed up all night watching another stupid fucking West Coast game that ends at five in the morning, is grumpy the next day.

Three and a half hours until puck drop. Enjoy the game, dude!