blizzard WARNING, bitches! [title edit]

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

blizzard WARNING, bitches! [title edit]

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The National Weather Service wrote:EASTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA- SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA- WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI- SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI- BRISTOL RI- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GLOUCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD... CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...FOSTER... SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...BRISTOL 903 PM EST FRI FEB 10 2006

...WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED... ...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON INCLUDING THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR FROM BOSTON AND PROVIDENCE AND POINTS SOUTHEAST. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

WHILE THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY TO THE EXACT TRACK...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO REACH CONNECTICUT...RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS SATURDAY EVENING THEN SPREAD SLOWLY NORTH OVERNIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW SHOULD FALL LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MIDDAY SUNDAY.

LATEST INDICATIONS ARE THAT AN AXIS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS RHODE ISLAND AND CENTRAL AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE WORCESTER HILLS TO TAUNTON...BOSTON NORTH TO THE MERRIMACK VALLEY.

AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY MORNING...IT IS VERY POSSIBLE THAT SNOWFALL RATES WILL REACH 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES ALONG WITH A FEW RUMBLES OF THUNDER NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION. GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS INCREASING TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH WILL CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH POOR VISIBILITY SUNDAY.

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE BOSTON AND PROVIDENCE AREAS DURING THE HEIGHT OF THIS STORM AS VISIBILITY DUE TO FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW IS REDUCED TO 1/4 MILE AT TIMES.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM. TRAVEL MAY BE SERIOUSLY IMPACTED BY THE COMBINATION OF POOR VISIBILITY AND SLIPPERY ROADS. PLAN TO HAVE TRAVEL COMPLETED BY LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON.
ohhhhh yeah!
Last edited by Col. Crackpot on 2006-02-11 06:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Huge snowstorm, and it's hitting on a Saturday. What a fucking waste.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm going to be pissed off if it ices up here tomorrow. I could have really used a day off this week.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I guess it's a welcome change of pace from the 60-degree highs I've seen all of January...
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I wonder if it will come across the Appalachians and hit the midwest. I can dream, can't I?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Comes on snow, drown the world in white, silent white. Cold... clean, white.
Like Moscow, Washington look's best in snow.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Surlethe wrote:I wonder if it will come across the Appalachians and hit the midwest. I can dream, can't I?
They were calling for 4-8 inches in the Appalachians on the evening news. People were stocking up on staples tonight. Personally, with the general lack of snow the river valley's been suffering, I'll believe the forecast when the snow's on the ground. :roll:

But, on the other hand, whenver a storm *does* come from the East, and survives the rise over the mountains, it's *always* a nasty one. Summer or Winter, if a storm comes from the East, you're gonna get hit hard.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Winter Storm Watchfrom the National Weather Service:

/O.CON.KOKX.WS.A.0001.060211T2300Z-060212T1700Z/ WESTERN PASSAIC-BERGEN-EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION- 1033 PM EST FRI FEB 10 2006

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

SNOW WILL BEGIN BY EARLY SATURDAY EVENING...AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES SATURDAY NIGHT. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE SATURDAY NIGHT TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH...CAUSING BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. BY THE TIME THE SNOW ENDS EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON...ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD AVERAGE 5 TO 9 INCHES.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
Snow, yay!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I was thinking that might be the strom that's s'posed to hit here on Sunday, but it'll pass too far south. Must be another system coming in from the Great Lakes.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

LadyTevar wrote:
Surlethe wrote:I wonder if it will come across the Appalachians and hit the midwest. I can dream, can't I?
They were calling for 4-8 inches in the Appalachians on the evening news. People were stocking up on staples tonight. Personally, with the general lack of snow the river valley's been suffering, I'll believe the forecast when the snow's on the ground. :roll:

Staples? Is there some reason why you'd need staples during a blizzard?
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Discombobulated wrote:Staples? Is there some reason why you'd need staples during a blizzard?
Staples as in food staples: basic foods (flour, corn, salt, etc.).
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Discombobulated wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:

Staples? Is there some reason why you'd need staples during a blizzard?
you're a tool. :lol:

sta·ple n.
1. A principal raw material or commodity grown or produced in a region.
2. A major item of trade in steady demand.
3. A basic dietary item, such as flour, rice, or corn.
4. A basic or principal element or feature.
5. The fiber of cotton, wool, or flax, graded as to length and fineness.

adj.
1. Produced or stocked in large quantities to meet steady demand: Wheat is a staple crop.
2. Principal; main: a staple topic of conversation.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

LadyTevar wrote:

But, on the other hand, whenver a storm *does* come from the East, and survives the rise over the mountains, it's *always* a nasty one. Summer or Winter, if a storm comes from the East, you're gonna get hit hard.
Of course, after it hits you, the storm has to cross Ohio and northern Kentucky before it gets anywhere near me, so I'm not holding out too much hope for major snow for us.
F. Douglass
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I've gotten a whole inch of RAIN!

Snow's not hitting here unless we've teleported to Alaska.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

:oops:

I R TEH SMRT.

Never been called a tool before, though. :lol: That's a first.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

You know, looking outside after several hours, it's snowing again. This is nice; finally, we're having some winter during winter!
F. Douglass
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Oh, the weather outside is frightful...
Dammit! Now you got it stuck in my head. :lol: ('cept it's not the real version stuck in my head, but an image of this punk in my computer class who sings it out loud literally every day, right after opening all of the windows, shouting "ITSLIKEAMILLIONDEGREESINHERETEHHOTTESTDAYEVAR!!!!!!111shift+1" I hate that bastard. [/rant]

Back to the OP, I believe that blizzard is right over me now. *checks window.*

Yup, it's snowing.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Out here in Missouri, we got a light dusting today. I really haven't seen snow stay on the ground since last year :evil:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Update
O.EXT.KOKX.WS.W.0003.060212T0000Z-060212T2000Z/ WESTERN PASSAIC-BERGEN-EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION- 1126 AM EST SAT FEB 11 2006

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 3 PM EST SUNDAY...

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 3 PM EST SUNDAY.

SNOW WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING...AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH...CAUSING BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

BY THE TIME THE SNOW ENDS EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON...ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD AVERAGE 6 TO 12 INCHES.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
And
/O.CON.KOKX.CF.S.0003.060212T1100Z-060212T1700Z/ SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-HUDSON-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER- NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-QUEENS-NASSAU-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK- NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- 1153 AM EST SAT FEB 11 2006

...MINOR TO LOCALLY MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS POSSIBLE SUNDAY MORNING...

LOW PRESSURE OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES WILL MOVE OFF THE COAST NEAR CAPE HATTERAS THIS EVENING...THEN RAPIDLY INTENSIFY INTO A MAJOR COASTAL STORM AS IT MOVES TO A POSITION EAST OF CAPE MAY AND SOUTH OF MONTAUK POINT BY EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. GALE TO STORM FORCE NORTHEAST WINDS GENERATED BY THE STORM WILL PRODUCE A STORM SURGE OF UP TO 2.5 FEET...WHICH IN COMBINATION WITH HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDES ASSOCIATED WITH A FULL MOON MONDAY COULD LEAD TO MINOR COASTAL FLOODING AROUND THE TIMES OF HIGH TIDE SUNDAY MORNING IN WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND... NEW YORK HARBOR...AND THE BACK BAYS ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE AND EAST END OF LONG ISLAND. POCKETS OF MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING ARE POSSIBLE IN THE MORE VULNERABLE BACK BAYS ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE OF NASSAU COUNTY.

COASTAL RESIDENTS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT PROPERTY IN THE EVENT THAT COASTAL FLOODING DOES OCCUR. IF THE STORM TRACKS CLOSER TO THE COAST OR IS MORE INTENSE THAN FORECAST...COASTAL FLOOD WATCHES OR WARNINGS MAY BECOME NECESSARY FOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA.

&&

THE FOLLOWING ARE SELECTED HIGH TIDES AND FORECAST DEPARTURES FOR THE SUNDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE CYCLE...

MINOR MODERATE TIME FLOODING FLOODING FORECAST (EST) TIDE LVL BEGINS BEGINS HEIGHT LOCATION (MLLW) (MLLW) (MLLW) (MLLW)

OCEAN... THE BATTERY NY 745 AM 4.7 6.7 8.0 7.1

BERGEN POINT NY 745 AM 5.1 --- 8.5 7.5

GREAT SOUTH BAY... FREEPORT NY 750 AM 3.1 5.2 5.8 5.4

LONG ISLAND SOUND... KINGS POINT NY 1115 AM 7.4 --- 10.5 9.9

STAMFORD CT 1048 AM 7.2 9.5 11.1 9.5

BRIDGEPORT CT 1045 AM 6.7 8.9 10.4 9.2

PECONIC BAY... NEW SUFFOLK 1117 AM 2.6 --- --- 5.0
Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

New England Update:
NWS wrote:Blizzard Watchfrom the National Weather Service:

/O.CON.KBOX.BZ.A.0001.060212T0400Z-060212T2300Z/ TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-EASTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA- SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA- NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA- SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-BARNSTABLE MA-DUKES MA- NANTUCKET MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI- WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-BRISTOL RI-WASHINGTON RI- NEWPORT RI-BLOCK ISLAND RI- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...UNION...VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC... GLOUCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY... TAUNTON...BROCKTON...PLYMOUTH...FALL RIVER...NEW BEDFORD... MATTAPOISETT...CHATHAM...FALMOUTH...PROVINCETOWN... VINEYARD HAVEN...NANTUCKET...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE... WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...BRISTOL...NARRAGANSETT...WESTERLY... NEWPORT...BLOCK ISLAND 1158 AM EST SAT FEB 11 2006

...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM EST THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...THE SOUTH COAST AND THE ISLANDS BETWEEN 10 PM AND MIDNIGHT...AND SHOULD REACH THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR AND CAPE ANN BY 3 AM SUNDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL SUNDAY.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 INCHES ON NANTUCKET AND BLOCK ISLAND...TO BETWEEN 8 AND 15 INCHES ELSEWHERE IN THE BLIZZARD WATCH. THE 15 INCH TOTALS ARE MOST LIKELY TO OCCUR FROM PROVIDENCE AND BOSTON...SOUTHEAST TO THE UPPER CAPE.

DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITH SNOWFALL RATES NEAR 3 INCHES PER HOUR. NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING AS HIGH AS 50 MPH MAY PRODUCE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. ON THE SOUTH COAST...CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS WIND GUSTS MAY REACH 60 MPH.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. PLAN TO HAVE TRAVEL COMPLETED BY TONIGHT. TRAVEL DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM ON SUNDAY WILL BE SERIOUSLY IMPACTED BY THE COMBINATION OF POOR VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.
Looks like the worst of it will be in my area.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It has been snowing since 9am, at least. In the downtown area where I live, the snow is only JUST NOW starting to stick to cars, grass, etc... but the rooftops and roads are only wet.

Five miles outside the downtown area, away from the river, the snow was starting to stick at Noon. Twenty miles out, there's reports of 3-5 inches. But here in downtown, after HOURS of snow... it's pitiful. :evil:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

It's snowing here in Richmond...mixed snow and rain throughout the day. Supposed to go on tonight, but with all the water on the ground, and the low only in the twenties, I doubt it'll amount to much, whatever the predictions say.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Snowing pretty hard here in B-more right now. We're expecting a total accumulation of 10", I believe.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm probably going to wind up in the Hotel tonight...fucking work.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.