Other
5%

Total votes: 91

theski
Sith Marauder

High school sports

Post by theski »

This should help with the Other thread in OT
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Cairber
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cairber »

I voted "Yes, I enjoyed." But I think my experience is a lot different from the arguments in the other thread. Like I said there, we were a private school that didn't really "pay" coaches beyond a little 1800$ incentive (it wasn't anyone's day job, that's for sure.) We also had academic requirements for participating (which also included demerit limits and school attendance policies as well as GPA policies).

We bought our uniforms and equipment (for rowing, for example, it was 100$ in dues for the uniform and our boats/oars were donations that we sought- we'd sell seats in the boats or oars or whatever to local businesses...sometimes parents all chipped in 20$ and pooled for an oar or whatever. The equipment lasts a while, so it wasn't like we needed new boats or oars every year).

I have never taught/attended a low income school, so i don't really know if sports have a great effect on the students or how their funding goes. I will assume that every school is different, but that doesn't mean every school is in the shape to have sports teams outside of intramural kinds of teams.
Say NO to circumcision IT'S A BOY! This is a great link to show expecting parents.

I boycott Nestle; ask me why!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I voted no, didn't care. I go to PE lessons, do the required, put in the effort needed and try to go to the weight room as much as possible.

I might even like our sports program(except the vollyball obsession), it dosn't get too much cash or anything special. But I guess its a rare case.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No. I had zero interest in sports, hated PE, and hated that attending sports assemblies was mandatory.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I voted no. I generally find most sports boring and/or lack the motivation to care about them.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Sport, along with history, was the only reason I turned up for school most days. There was nothing I looked forward to more than a game of football against my mates either at lunch, during Games or after school. It also kept me nice and healthy - I wish I was still as healthy as I was back then, but university has turned me into a couch potato [quickly getting out of that routine though!].
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Yes, still do. Learned a lot from, made loads of friends from, still am doing both. Play football, the American kind.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I'd love to see somebody who played high school sports get as fired up against the band and school plays as some people are getting about sports.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Did Crew and track...our class won the only titles for my school.

At BEST it looked good for extracurricular and on my transcript to university. Nothing more.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Played volleyball for two seasons because my school had a team sports requirement. Total waste of my time.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Rugby at age 12 first thing on a monday morning on frozen ground was great. :x

Fuck PE, fuck it to hell, it was torture.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

Played Football for my four years in high school. I loved every minute of it, and it got me in the best shape I have ever been in.
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Ran X-country, wrestled, and played tennis, had a great time. The coaches were our PE teachers and they just got the regular salary, they coached because of their love for sports. It was pretty fun, got to meet a bunch of cool people I otherwise wouldn't have met, and getting to miss classes was a bonus.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Did Soccer freshman and sophomore year. Then did Track Junior and Senior. In my school most of the people involved in the teams were also high grade students, involved in the music department and got involved in the school plays and other stuff. Our coaches were for the most part members of the staff. The soccer coaches weren't.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Marching band is incredible. I honestly wish I joined it earlier than I did. It's an amazing experience to perform with a bunch of your best friends and become one of the best bands in New England.

I love the AV work I do, the lights are fun to work with, and can be a pain the ass. It's great fun. :)

Mock Trial is fun, especially when we make fun of the opposing team on the way home :D
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Voted "no, didn't care", since the stuff I did (track in 8th grade) I don't consider significant enough to make that vote a "yes". I was no good, so I decided to quit rather than try and get better.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I participated in football in high school. (not the soccer kind) And I very much enjoyed it... while I played.

Now? Not so much, because my knees are shot to hell. To be fair, I haven't been completely kind to them since then, but the damage done during high school is what began the process and ultimately what cause the problems.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

No, got constantly bullied by the Star Football Jocks (who also were the Baseball Jocks, the Cross-Country Jocks, the Basketball Jocks, the Golf Jocks, you get the idea). Did get a modicum of respect when I squatted 185 within a week of doing some weight-room training. Seriously, I wish the weight room had been availiable to anyone and everyone at the school during PE; that woulda been nice. I'd probably have two or three times the muscle mass I have now and half the bullshit from the cornfed assholes in school...
Image Image
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I did not participate in high school sports. I did, however, do marching band, which at the level my band was at was actually quite a physically intense activity. You could see the fat falling off people's bodies at band camp. I still pull my toes up high when I walk.

I wish I had done sports, though. Football would have been a bad choice for me, but I have long arms and I probably could have done decently at the discus throw. Or maybe lacrosse. It would have given me an incentive to get in shape earlier in my life - I didn't really start hitting the gym until I was almost 21 - and it also may have provided a channel through which to get ass.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:I'd love to see somebody who played high school sports get as fired up against the band and school plays as some people are getting about sports.
Well, people will get fired up about band at the college level, but that has as much to do with the copious amounts of alcohol ingested at football games as anything else.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No. I had zero interest in sports, hated PE, and hated that attending sports assemblies was mandatory.
What he said.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I did cross country, and it was the most esteem-damaging thing I ever participated in.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Swim team all the way through; got me into great shape and we had a lot of fun as a team, plus it had the cheapest uniform of any team in the school.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I always put forth effort in PE. I was on good terms with several of the gym teachers, and expended as much energy as I could in whatever was being done that day (except the dance lessons. Luckily I was able to use a recent illness to get out of that). I was even not above the occasional showboating (my signature move was playing volleyball with only my head).

But as for the team sports, quite frankly it disgusted me. I did all sorts of stupid shit during gym class because it was fun, and I knew better than to take it seriously. But as for the teams, the same did not apply. They took themselves way too seriously. It wouldn't have been a problem had they just done that by themselves, but like many people they had those stupid fucking required pep rallies. Whatever team was playing at the time would strut around us academic types like they were doing us a charitable service. Meanwhile I would zone out while sitting on the floor in the seriously overcrowded gym (they had enough bleachers for maybe 75% of the student body, but it was still mandatory for all students to attend the same rally. And of course some bleacher space was reserved for people participating in sports) and dream wistfully of "Carrie".
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I played golf, worked summer jobs to pay for my own gear, and since all the sports money went to either the football, soccor, or hockey teams, I also had to pay for time at the driving range and any course fees. Our coach was an idiot who's knowledge of the game was best summed up as "Hit the little white ball in the dirrection of the green...". This guy also taught what passed for a "health" class (basically we spent an hour sitting around watching those silly assed 1950'/1960's ten minute films). The man was a complete putz and he had the both the weakest swing and most vicious slice I've ever seen (This guy's slice was so bad the ball would go half again as far right as it did forward). To this day I still think "Titleist" is Latin for "Ah SHIT! I'm calling a mulligan on that..."

Luckilly, my Pop was a huge golfer and taught me how to play.

All I got out of the experience was a nice tan and a letter on a school jacket I never wore. Though I still like to spend the occasional day on the links chasing a little white ball around while swearing a lot.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...