Wow. Evidently, Yahoo News will run just about anything...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Wow. Evidently, Yahoo News will run just about anything...

Post by Rogue 9 »

Why the hell are they pulling articles from the Weekly World News? :wtf:
PLANET-DISSOLVING DUST CLOUD IS HEADED TOWARD EARTH!
Monday September 12, 2005

By MIKE FOSTER

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Scared-stiff astronomers have detected a mysterious mass they've dubbed a "chaos cloud" that dissolves everything in its path, including comets, asteroids, planets and entire stars -- and it's headed directly toward Earth!

Discovered April 6 by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, the swirling, 10 million-mile- wide cosmic dust cloud has been likened to an "acid nebula" and is hurtling toward us at close to the speed of light -- making its estimated time of arrival 9:15 a.m. EDT on June 1, 2014.

"The good news is that this finding confirms several cutting- edge ideas in theoretical physics," announced Dr. Albert Sherwinski, a Cambridge based astrophysicist with close ties to NASA.

"The bad news is that the total annihilation of our solar system is imminent."

Experts believe the chaos cloud is composed of particles spawned near the event horizon of a black hole (a form of what's called Hawking Radiation) that have been distorted by mangled information spewed from the hole.

"A super-massive black hole lies about 28,000 light-years from Earth at the center of our galaxy," explained Dr. Sherwinski.

"Last year the eminent physicist Stephen Hawking revised his theory of black holes -- which previously held that nothing could escape the hole's powerful gravitational field. He demonstrated that information about objects that have been sucked in can be emitted in mangled form.

"It now appears that mangled information can distort matter.

"Just imagine our galaxy the Milky Way as a beautiful, handwritten letter.

"Now imagine pouring a glass of water on the paper and watching the words dissolve as the stain spreads. That's what the chaos cloud does to every star or planet it encounters."

To avoid widespread panic, NASA has declined to make the alarming discovery public. But Dr. Sherwinski's contacts at the agency's Chandra X-ray Observatory leaked to him striking images of the newly discovered chaos cloud obliterating a large asteroid.

"It's like watching a helpless hog being dissolved in a vat of acid," one NASA scientist told Dr. Sherwinski.

Ordinarily, Hawkings Radiation is harmless.

"It's produced when an electron- positron pair are at the event horizon of a black hole," Dr. Sherwinski explained. "The intense curvature of space-time of the hole can cause the positron to fall in, while the electron escapes."

But when "infected" by mangled information from the black hole, the particles become a chaos cloud, which in turn mangles everything it touches.

"If it continues unchecked, the chaos cloud will eventually reduce our galaxy to the state of absolute chaos that existed before the birth of the universe," the astrophysicist warned.

Some scientists say mankind's best hope would be to build a "space ark" and hightail it to the Andromeda Galaxy, 2.1 million light-years away.

"We wouldn't be able to save the entire human population, but perhaps the best and the brightest," observed British rocket scientist Dr. David Hall, when asked about the feasibility of such a project.

But even if such a craft could be built in time, evacuating Earth might prove fruitless if theories about the origin of the chaos cloud are correct.

"A black hole at the center of Andromeda is about 15 times the size of the one in our own galaxy," Dr. Sherwinski noted. "It might be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire."

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, a senior White House official said the president's top science advisors are taking the findings in stride.

"This is a lot like global warming, where the jury is still out on whether it's real or not," said the official.

"The existence of this so called chaos cloud is only a theory. Americans shouldn't panic until all the facts are in.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I can't even read past the first sentence. THE RETARDATION, IT BURNSES!
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

To avoid widespread panic, NASA has declined to make the alarming discovery public. But Dr. Sherwinski's contacts at the agency's Chandra X-ray Observatory leaked to him striking images of the newly discovered chaos cloud obliterating a large asteroid.

"It's like watching a helpless hog being dissolved in a vat of acid," one NASA scientist told Dr. Sherwinski.
Ok, so this chaos cloud thing is supposedly several light years away from us (will arrive in 2014, traveling at near light speed) yet we have taken images of it "dissolving" an asteroid.

ROFLMAO
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

In all fairness, it *is* clearly labeled as being nonsense, what with being in "Entertainment news and gossip" and all.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

AniThyng wrote:In all fairness, it *is* clearly labeled as being nonsense, what with being in "Entertainment news and gossip" and all.
It caught me off guard. I didn't know Yahoo had a tabloid section.

What's next? Will Batboy save us all from V'ger?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I also heard about this one terrible rag called The Onion. They have some stories that are just REALLY dumb. STUPID, even. OUTRAGEOUS and IMPOSSIBLE and INANE and GROSS and FAKE, even.

Funny, though.
The Great and Malignant
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Though, is it really possible for an 'acid nebula' to exist?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Holy fuck! We're all gonna DIE!!!
Quickly, my brothers! We must all pray to the almighty Xenu so he protect us!

:lol:
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Davis 51 wrote:Holy fuck! We're all gonna DIE!!!

:lol:
FOR L. RON HUBBARD!

8)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Put it this way, in the one in a bazillion chance that this actually happens (which is generous, I think its one in at least fifty bazillion), the people who are right about this won't survive long enough to throw it in our faces.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I see they're ripping off the honourable Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Poison Cloud' now... tch! Bad form, don't you know, old chap!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Heretic! Only Jebus can save us from the chaos cloud. I blame Voyager, they should have patched up the event horizon rift...
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'm not worried about the acid nebula, since the sun is going to explode and kill us all in 2008 anyway.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

SPOOFE wrote:I also heard about this one terrible rag called The Onion. They have some stories that are just REALLY dumb. STUPID, even. OUTRAGEOUS and IMPOSSIBLE and INANE and GROSS and FAKE, even.

Funny, though.
What? The Onion is my prime source for information about the world! :?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CJvR wrote:
Heretic! Only Jebus can save us from the chaos cloud. I blame Voyager, they should have patched up the event horizon rift...
You mean Jim T. Kirk! He's fought killer clouds before and won after all . . .
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

But... massive cloud of... something that dissolves stars. Moving at the speed of light. But must have enough gravity to keep the cloud together... *head explodes*
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
wilfulton
Jedi Knight

Post by wilfulton »

On the positive side, such clouds dissolve retarded people too :)
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

Lets Sends the Enterprise-D, Picard will save us...

Picard: Give me a scan, what is that object

Data: The object is a highly corrosive phased meta-energy field, it is eminiating from a central source, an event horizon.

Picard: Can we dissolve it.

Laforge: I Believe so, if we repolarize the main power conduits and saturate the power field and run it through the main deflector.

*A Field of energy runs from the deflector dish.. but the cloud hasnt dissolved.

Riker: What the hell...

Troi: I sense some intelligence...

* Hailing frequencies open automatically and an anime loking woman comes up.*

Anime woman: Your planet will be dissolved, in the man of KIO--KAHN!!

Picard: This is captain Jean Luc-Picard of the USS Enterprise, identify yourself.

Anime woman: I am Katrina..

Picard: Well Katrina you cannot destroy our planet, the ramifications of that will be far-reaching.

Data: Captain, according to Starfleet Scientific Records, this is possibly the same Katrina that attack the city that was once New Orleans back in the 21th century before we became a one world government.

Picard: We can negotiate...

Katrina: I must find the one who killed my people with his technobabble non-sense. His name is DarkStar

Worf: This darkstar who is he

Data: DarkStar was a person who was known as Robert Scott Anderson,...he was the enemy of a SD.Net, a primitive BBS system that was used by people who didn't have lives...

Picard: Hail earth...* hailing frequencies open to the empire of SD.NET* Do you know a darkstar...

SD.NET empire: YES AND WE HAVE HIM!! *He beams him to Katrina cloud*

Katrina: I have you, you shall pay,( Darkstar is thrown outside the cloud and suffocates and dies)

Everyone on earth: WERE SAVED!!
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Looks like one of my sci-fi doomsday weapons go lose.

Damn it, I should know better then leaving the cat in charge of the weapons arsenal!

Bad Cat!
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Yes, yes, yes, but it was fun

Oh, wait. You're not talking about me.

Nevermind, nevermind. You heard nothing.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

We're Doomed! We better start having as much sex as possible while we still can!
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Wicked Pilot wrote:We're Doomed! We better start having as much sex as possible while we still can!
*writes that down under list of pickup lines*
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Who's been letting Yahoo news huff paint...again?!
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!