$50 million for New York 'fixer-upper'?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Chmee
Sith Marauder

$50 million for New York 'fixer-upper'?

Post by Chmee »

A $50 Million Price Tag, and Still a Fixer-Upper?
By MOTOKO RICH

With the average price of an apartment in Manhattan now comfortably nested over $1 million, many New Yorkers are pretty blasé about all those zeros.

But $50 million got people talking when relatives of Doris Duke, the late tobacco heiress, put the Duke Semans Mansion, a 20,000-square-foot Beaux-Arts residence, on the market in May. The 1901 townhouse is said to be the last great private mansion on Fifth Avenue - and at that price would be the most expensive private residence ever sold in the city.

Lenny Kravitz, the rock star and budding designer, has visited the house twice, said Mamdouh Nasr, the owner of an ice cream truck that has parked for 28 years on the corner of 82nd Street and Fifth Avenue, just steps from the mansion's front door.

To Mr. Nasr, it's clear evidence that the musician, who enjoys buying and fixing up real estate, is buying the home. "To this guy time is money," Mr. Nasr said. "So why he comes inside two times?"

The Semans family, Duke descendents who own the property, are negotiating with Mr. Kravitz on the sale, according to a person informed of the deal who asked not to be identified because there is no signed deal.

While Mr. Kravitz might hear music in ice cream truck bells, anyone who buys the house will find what has been described in marketing materials as the "most important example of Beaux-Arts residential architecture in the city." The red brick and limestone building has a mansard roof and a view of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

As a reporter noted this week on a tour of five of its eight floors, it has grand, well-lighted rooms, 11 marble fireplaces, three elevators and a sweeping brass-and-wrought-iron staircase. A prospective buyer might also note wood paneling buckling in the receiving room, a small kitchen in the former butler's pantry and a tiny toilet in an otherwise striking marble bathroom.

Fourteen interested parties have visited the property and three have bid on it, according to Sharon Baum, a senior vice president with the Corcoran Group, who is sharing the listing with Paula Del Nunzio and Shirley Mueller of Brown Harris Stevens. All three brokers and members of the Semans family declined to identify a prospective buyer, and all said no deal had been made final.

Mr. Kravitz, who is trying to sell a loft in SoHo for $12.95 million and also owns property in New Orleans, has recently formed his own design company. A spokeswoman for Mr. Kravitz declined to comment.

If he buys the Duke mansion, it will be a great design challenge. Built by the developers William and Thomas Hall, it has always been owned by members of the Duke family.

According to Iver Iverson, a historic preservationist who helped the family reconfigure the mansion's three apartments in the 1990's and overhauled the house's plumbing and heating systems, the building last underwent a major exterior renovation in the 1980's, when the copper and iron balustrades were replaced.

Starting in 1918, he said, many of the property's striking interior features were installed by Mary Duke Biddle, daughter of Benjamin Newton Duke, co-founder of the American Tobacco Company and the original buyer of the house. She brought in brass and wrought-iron railings on the staircases, removed plaster work from some of the cornices, put all-black marble fixtures in one of the bathrooms and hung Directoire-style paintings from France in the dining room.

Real estate brokers who have seen the property say a buyer would likely have to invest $10 million to renovate it. Because the property is now divided into three apartments - one on the first five floors, a small one-bedroom apartment on the fifth floor and a penthouse on the sixth and seventh floors - and includes a doctor's office in the basement, anyone who wants to turn it back into a single-family residence will have to do substantial work.

Still, there is no question that the location - in an area once known as Millionaires Row - and bones of the house are magnificent. On a Fifth Avenue block where all the other single-family residences have long since been torn down and replaced by apartment buildings, the Duke Semans Mansion, for which the family fought to get landmark designation, stands as a bulwark against modern development. With its high ceilings, gold-leaf trimmed fixtures and intricate plaster friezes, the property is a living piece of architectural history.

Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans, the 85-year-old granddaughter of Benjamin Duke, said in a telephone interview from Durham, N.C., that she hoped the ultimate buyer would preserve the house, which was granted landmark status in 1974, as close as possible to its current state.

"The only thing I would like is that they keep the house sort of the way it is now," said Mrs. Semans, who lived in the house until she was 14 and recalls peering out at the stone goddesses on a cornice of the Met from her bedroom window on the fourth floor.

Ms. Baum, a broker who regularly sells multimillion-dollar residences, said most buyers who have come to see the Duke-Semans property understood its architectural significance. "We did not have anybody say, 'this is great, I think I will just gut it and turn it into the hugest loft that anybody has ever seen,' " she said.

Marketing the property has been an unusual challenge for Ms. Baum, Ms. Del Nunzio and Ms. Mueller, who was chosen to represent the listing by the Semans family in part because she once rented an apartment in the house. The seller is offering a 4 percent commission instead of the more typical 6 percent. That could be up to $2 million on a $50 million sale. That price would beat $24.5 million paid for Woody Allen's Carnegie Hill townhouse last year, as well as $44 million paid by Rupert Murdoch for a co-op on Fifth Avenue at 64th Street.

Before showing the property, the brokers check any prospective buyer for financial qualifications. "When you work with these trophy properties you just get a lot of people who are sightseers," Ms. Baum said earlier this week as she climbed the curving staircase. "They just want to see a great house."

Buyers who are boldface names or come represented by a reputable broker can get a showing pretty quickly. Sometimes, Ms. Baum said, she has had to search Google or Lexis/Nexus to learn more.

Arranging showings on the property, which has been on and off the market since May, has been difficult, Ms. Baum said, because visits have to be cleared with the two rental tenants in the building. If staff members are on vacation, Ms. Baum said, the brokers cannot get in.

On initial showings, Ms. Baum said, buyers are allowed to see only the first five floors of the property. Only the three buyers who have made offers have been allowed to see the penthouse floors, and even then, the brokers are not allowed to accompany the buyers.

Despite such obstacles, Mrs. Semans said she was hopeful that a deal would be signed soon. Saying goodbye to a property that has been in the family for more than 100 years, though, she said would not be easy. "We're very blue about it," she said, noting that not one of her 7 children, 14 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren live anywhere near New York City. "But the main thing is to do something that someone else is going to enjoy."
Link

The Dukes? Looks like a fine home for Randolph & Mortimer ....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Only 50mil and another 10 or so to fix it up? Well sure where do I sign up? Can I pay in personal check...my name..oh yes its Mr Monopoly.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

:lol: That's funny :lol: It's rediculously close to the streets and traffic lights, how insane would one have to be to want to buy that and fix it up? :shock:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mrs Kendall wrote::lol: That's funny :lol: It's rediculously close to the streets and traffic lights, how insane would one have to be to want to buy that and fix it up? :shock:
But.. but.. It's HISTORIC! :roll: Personally, I'd not buy it, it just looks... cramped where it is.

then again, I'd not live in NYC eithe way :lol:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Wouldn't be at the top of my real estate shopping list, but a 7-story private residence on 5th near the museum? Nice place to crash while you're in NYC, I just wouldn't want to live there year-round.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

LadyTevar wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote::lol: That's funny :lol: It's rediculously close to the streets and traffic lights, how insane would one have to be to want to buy that and fix it up? :shock:
But.. but.. It's HISTORIC! :roll: Personally, I'd not buy it, it just looks... cramped where it is.

I know! There isn't even any grass between the building and the sidewalks!
Where would kids play?
Is this something only older people would buy?
What's the point in even keeping it as a private residence?
(holy 20 questions batman :lol: )

I know that in Downtown Ottawa most houses that were similiar in that there was no places for kids to play have been turned into offices of some sort, heck even in our small town of approx 5,000 people there are houses which have been turned into Bed and Breakfasts, Dentist offices, Doctors offices, etc..simply because of thier locations. Maybe a bunch of Doctors should buy the place and use it as their office space.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:

I know! There isn't even any grass between the building and the sidewalks!
Where would kids play?
Is this something only older people would buy?
What's the point in even keeping it as a private residence?
(holy 20 questions batman :lol: )

I know that in Downtown Ottawa most houses that were similiar in that there was no places for kids to play have been turned into offices of some sort, heck even in our small town of approx 5,000 people there are houses which have been turned into Bed and Breakfasts, Dentist offices, Doctors offices, etc..simply because of thier locations. Maybe a bunch of Doctors should buy the place and use it as their office space.
It's right across the street from Central park, silly. :P

Personally, I've seen it IRL and I think its purty. But 50 mil? Forget it.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Oh you mean Central Park where people get murdered :P and um the kids would still have to cross busy streets to get to the park silly :P :lol:

EDIT: 'snipped question about what IRL meant'

Edit#2: took the sillyness out of my edit, I know now, it means 'in real life' :oops: Gotta go to bed now, before I start to embarrass myself even more :lol:
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Mrs Kendall wrote:Oh you mean Central Park where people get murdered :P and um the kids would still have to cross busy streets to get to the park silly :P :lol:
That's Manhattan, nobody has a yard ... you don't build yards in cities with insanely expensive real estate. You build parks, and NYC has some beautiful ones. People who want yards don't live in Manhattan.

Operation Freedom Fry
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Chmee wrote: That's Manhattan, nobody has a yard ... you don't build yards in cities with insanely expensive real estate. You build parks, and NYC has some beautiful ones.
I think Pier 40 is kinda neat with its soccer fields on top of the pier buildings. My favorite two parks though are not in Manhatten but across the Hudson River in Hoboken and across the Green River in Brooklyn. I really like their waterfront parks.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Chmee wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:Oh you mean Central Park where people get murdered :P and um the kids would still have to cross busy streets to get to the park silly :P :lol:
That's Manhattan, nobody has a yard ... you don't build yards in cities with insanely expensive real estate. You build parks, and NYC has some beautiful ones. People who want yards don't live in Manhattan.
Ok, I wasn't aware of this, considering I come from a fairly small city and live in a small town right now :P