Military protocol question

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Military protocol question

Post by StarSword »

What's the appropriate form of address from a seaman to a petty officer (not a chief)?
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Military protocol question

Post by Tsyroc »

Generally, "Petty Officer last name" would be the shortest most appropriate way to go. It can be extended out to be "Petty Officer First, Second or Third Class name but that's not used a great deal. Maybe slightly more than Rear Admiral Upper or Lower Half. :)

It is also acceptable to address the person by their rate/rank if it is known while including their last name.
For example. "CT2 Smith", "EM1 Jones" etc...

Some of those can be a bit clunky in conversation but work fairly well in written form.

I've been called "EW2" when I was the only one of that rate and rank around but within a good sized division that won't work all that well.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Just to be sure, those are for an E-3 or below talking to a E-4 to E-6?

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"Petty Officer [Last Name]"

However, it is far, far more common to address as [Rate] [Last Name]

So if I was a CTM and Petty Officer Third class(and I was), I would be commonly addressed as "CTM3 Lonestar".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

"Mr." is also appropriate. We would of course address our officers as "Sir", but we would be discouraged from addressing petty officers as "Sir." If required to be formal, we'd address them as "Petty Officer", but I can't recall ever having to do that.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

StarSword wrote:Just to be sure, those are for an E-3 or below talking to a E-4 to E-6?
Yes. Although people of higher rank would also use those as well.

In a relaxed, familiar setting people use last name, first name, or nick names.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Ok, thanks, guys.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Borgholio wrote:"Mr." is also appropriate. We would of course address our officers as "Sir", but we would be discouraged from addressing petty officers as "Sir." If required to be formal, we'd address them as "Petty Officer", but I can't recall ever having to do that.
"Mr." is absolutely not appropriate, it is for junior officers only. A Chief might refer to his Ensign as Mr. Soandso or I might tell one of my petty officers to go find Mr. Soandso (their DIVO), it should never be used for an enlisted sailor. This is pretty archaic these days but I have actually witnessed my CO call out a JO for calling one of his petty officers "Mr."

Something else I had to explain to my wife the other day is email signoffs. This is USN only as far as I know but "Very Respectfully" or "V/R" is for talking to seniors, "Respectfully" or "R/" is for talking to peers or juniors.

V/R
Patroklos :)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Patroklos wrote:
Borgholio wrote:"Mr." is also appropriate. We would of course address our officers as "Sir", but we would be discouraged from addressing petty officers as "Sir." If required to be formal, we'd address them as "Petty Officer", but I can't recall ever having to do that.
"Mr." is absolutely not appropriate, it is for junior officers only. A Chief might refer to his Ensign as Mr. Soandso or I might tell one of my petty officers to go find Mr. Soandso (their DIVO), it should never be used for an enlisted sailor. This is pretty archaic these days but I have actually witnessed my CO call out a JO for calling one of his petty officers "Mr."

Something else I had to explain to my wife the other day is email signoffs. This is USN only as far as I know but "Very Respectfully" or "V/R" is for talking to seniors, "Respectfully" or "R/" is for talking to peers or juniors.

V/R
Patroklos :)
Well I guess I stand corrected. This was a good 20 years ago so maybe protocol has changed.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

From my experience it was Petty Officer [...............], though they would, on occasion, try to get us to call them by their rates...which made no sense to a bunch of Marine grunts. A Chief was ,"hey Chief..." as we didnt really get to know them all that well.

Petty Officer with a number after it was too time consuming for us so PO 3 to PO 1 were just Petty Officer. Now, this could be different with an actual Seaman addressing the PO but...