Skydiving aka Jumping Out of a Perfectly Good Airplane

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Skydiving aka Jumping Out of a Perfectly Good Airplane

Post by Phantasee »

I'm skydiving on Saturday with some of my cousins and friends. It'll be the one year anniversary of my brush with death, so I figured I'd give it another shot :P

We'll be doing a tandem jump from 12 500 feet up out of a Super Twin Otter. 60 seconds of freefall, 200 km/h.

Any of you done this?
XXXI
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Skydiving aka Jumping Out of a Perfectly Good Airplane

Post by Broomstick »

Well, no... people tend to get really upset when the pilot abandons ship...

Have fun, land safe.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Never tandem, but I did a couple of jumps ten years ago, but ran out of spare time a few jumps before I got my cert.

Never had a better adrenaline rush, still want to get that cert if I ever live close-ish to a club again.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Did it a looooong time ago. It's a rush you'll never forget, even if you're going to be a passenger ;-)
Tell us how it goes!
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I did several static line jumps from 3k and 5k feet...never was comfortable with the two guys two chutes idea...give me my own main and reserve! It will be the longest instantaneous event your life. Have fun!
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Not quite the same thing, but I think my Mom did a parachute drop once while she was in the Navy. (I know she went up in the plane, but I don't remember if she jumped or not.)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm sure, however, she remembers if she jumped or not!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I just went skydiving for the first time last weekend. Tandem from 13,000 feet, out of a Caravan, with 60 seconds of freefall and hitting terminal velocity (120mph or so) in about 5 seconds. Oh man, make sure you remember those first five seconds or so after leaving the plane. In fact, the final five seconds on the plane are pretty exciting too!

How much is yours going to cost? Mine was $200 with a $20 student discount.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Phantasee wrote: We'll be doing a tandem jump from 12 500 feet up out of a Super Twin Otter. 60 seconds of freefall, 200 km/h.
Pretty much exactly that. Tandem out of a Twin Otter at 12000ft or so.

Highly recommended. I don't expect to ever do it again, as I was scared shitless, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to do once.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Yeah, at this point I'm going to ask everyone to get me committed if I ever suggest we try for another suicide attempt.

I am paying $265 CAD with a group discount. No student discount unfortunately. Paying the extra $100 for a videographer to jump with me.

Thanks for those numbers, Hawkwings! I was wondering how long it takes to get to terminal velocity.

Anyway if I make it back to the ground in one piece I'll let y'all know how it went. The jump is tomorrow at noon MDT.
XXXI
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Rain! :argh: Hopefully it passes soon, radar shows Westlock is going to get a few more showers and then clear.
XXXI
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

So I made it back just fine. It was pretty cool, but not quite the experience I was expecting. I barely felt any fear, and I quite enjoyed the ride down. Well, besides the incredible tightness in my groin area from the straps :P

I had a video made, I look ridiculous. My lips are blowing around everywhere like a cartoon.
XXXI
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Phantasee wrote:I barely felt any fear, and I quite enjoyed the ride down. Well, besides the incredible tightness in my groin area from the straps :P
Next time, you should do the Point Break thing and throw your parachute out the door, then dive after the parachute and race to put it on before you go splat. :P
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

aerius wrote:
Phantasee wrote:I barely felt any fear, and I quite enjoyed the ride down. Well, besides the incredible tightness in my groin area from the straps :P
Next time, you should do the Point Break thing and throw your parachute out the door, then dive after the parachute and race to put it on before you go splat. :P
But make sure you injure your leg chasing after a disguised bank robber first, for extra man points. :D
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

You're both wrong.

Glad to have you back on terra firma Phant.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Haha! Thanks Tim!

If any of you ever go for a dive, ask the instructor to do a back flip upon exit, it's pretty awesome.
XXXI
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

Isn't there (still) the practice to have done static line jumps before doing free fall? I remember having to do the former but never transited to skydiving.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

For solo jumps, you have to do that from 3500' before going up to 12500' and doing Assisted Free Fall jumps with two instructors. However we were going the tourist route and jumping tandem with an instructor, which meant our instruction consisted of 15 minutes of explanation of what to do, how to put on the gear, and jokes. We didn't pull the chute ourselves, or have any responsibility to do anything. I couldn't even get out of the plane on my own, since it was up to the instructor strapped to my back to push us out.
XXXI