Casey Anthony Accquited of Murder

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Casey Anthony Accquited of Murder

Post by Darth Yan »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -verdict/1

Honestly, I am fucking outraged by this. The woman murders her child and then walks free.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Casey Anthony Accquited of Murder

Post by Steve »

I admit I'm only mildly surprised by this.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

given the arguing over the tape I feared this would happen but It's still upsetting.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

At least she'll be socially ostracized for the rest of her life.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Darth Yan wrote:http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -verdict/1

Honestly, I am fucking outraged by this. The woman murders her child and then walks free.
Except, of course, it wasn't proven in a court of law, was it?

OJ Simpson allegedly got away with murdering his wife and another man - on the other hand, the rest of his life has still kind of sucked. I don't expect Anthony is going to have an easy go of it, and she could still spend years in jail due to being guilty of perjury.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Pelranius wrote:At least she'll be socially ostracized for the rest of her life.

I would not be surprised if the government has to place her in protective custody. I suspect there will be crazies who'll try to exact their own particular brand of justice. Many...many crazies. The outrage over this verdict is palpable. Here at work, there was more than one smart phone tuned in to the live feed of the verdict, with loads of idle threats being tossed about and audible gasps of horror. It's seriously the only thing people are talking about right now.

Well, that's not, you know, work-related.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Broomstick wrote:OJ Simpson allegedly got away with murdering his wife and another man - on the other hand, the rest of his life has still kind of sucked. I don't expect Anthony is going to have an easy go of it, and she could still spend years in jail due to being guilty of perjury.
Actually she's been in jail since 08, I've read that the conviction carries a penalty of 1 year per count (4 counts total I understand) meaning she's likely going to walk.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If she's been in jail for three years I wouldn't call that "walking". Technically, it's called "time served". Or do you think she's been having a fun time behind bars?

Here is an article in CNN discussing some of the issues that may have been sticking points for the jury. They include no cause of death given for the child - in other words, it is undetermined if the child died accidentally or deliberately. There was, apparently, no proof of premeditation which is significant in regards to seeking a death-penalty level conviction (premeditated or first-degree murder is usually what's eligible for death, lesser offenses, such as second degree murder, that is, without premeditation, and accidentally killing someone, usually do not risk that penalty). With the child's found remains being skeletal there was not an abundance of forensic evidence.

Or would you rather people just not give a fuck when deciding whether or not to deliberately kill another human being? Because death was what the prosecution was going for, and that demands a very high level of proof. Perhaps if they had pursued a charge of "concealing a death" or something conviction would have been more likely.

It's not about what "everyone knows", it's about what can be PROVEN. Apparently, the proof was not sufficient to convince the jury.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The evidence really came out too ambiguous to support a murder one charge, I strongly suspect the jury would have convicted if it was a murder two case. The prosecutor didn’t seem to handle his job in court very well either.
Chardok wrote: I would not be surprised if the government has to place her in protective custody. I suspect there will be crazies who'll try to exact their own particular brand of justice. Many...many crazies. The outrage over this verdict is palpable. Here at work, there was more than one smart phone tuned in to the live feed of the verdict, with loads of idle threats being tossed about and audible gasps of horror. It's seriously the only thing people are talking about right now.
I absurdly doubt that. The feds will rarely even put a top figure in a major international drug smuggling case in protective custody, a state is not going to put a women in protective custody over being found not guilty of murder. Too much money, too much time wasted.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Meh, I'd rather see her go free than get convicted on a weak assed case, whether she did it or not.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sage Francis put it best:

The judicial system did not fail. The prosecution failed.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The evidence really came out too ambiguous to support a murder one charge, I strongly suspect the jury would have convicted if it was a murder two case. The prosecutor didn’t seem to handle his job in court very well either.
According to a news report I read, she was acquitted of murder two as well. It was left to the Jury apparently as an alternative verdict, as was manslaughter.
weemadando wrote:Sage Francis put it best:

The judicial system did not fail. The prosecution failed.
If the above news article is even half right, I would totally agree with this. I didn't read a single piece of actual evidence outlined by the prosecution. It was all just speculation and suspicion based on her 'demeanor' after the child went missing.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

This is exactly like that axe murdering psycho chris stofsky getting off for murdering his father!
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Hah! I had to wait two years before a court of appeal went over my case and said 'welp i guess there's no evidence here'.

Her fucking jury acquitted her. That speaks volumes on the weakness of the case to me.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Broomstick wrote:If she's been in jail for three years I wouldn't call that "walking". Technically, it's called "time served". Or do you think she's been having a fun time behind bars?
Well, certainly not; I retract my implication that time served = easy breezy beautiful; Still, it will almost certainly be the perception of the public at large as they continue crucifying her. (when they should be crucifying the prosecution) METAPHORICALLY.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Pelranius wrote:At least she'll be socially ostracized for the rest of her life.
Which proves that the media should never be allowed anywhere near a court of law. There was not enough evidence to prove her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. End of fucking story. Tell any of the mouth-breathing jackasses that have been glued to their TV's watching the whole case on FauxNews that though, and all you'll get is the kind of bullshit you just spouted. So, despite being Not Guilty, everybody and their dog will treat her as otherwise, because we all know that mob justice is the only real justice, right?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Did you actually read what her defense was?

The kid accidently drowned and so they buried the body in the woods to make it look like a homicide...seriously, what the FUCK kind of defense is that?
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Did you actually read what her defense was?

The kid accidently drowned and so they buried the body in the woods to make it look like a homicide...seriously, what the FUCK kind of defense is that?
Which has fuck all to do with the fact that she was acquitted. Just because her defense was suspect does not make her guilty, which is something that the Jury thankfully understood. It's just sickening the media circus that's surrounded this, and the mob mentality it engenders.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

When the only explanation you can offer for how your kid disappeared and ended up buried in the woods somewhere is that you faked murdering them, reasonable doubt isn't all that reasonable a thing to have. She hasn't claimed that she didn't bury the kid out there, just that she accidentally did it...

For that alone she deserves every bit of scorn that can possibly be heaped upon her.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Keevan_Colton wrote:When the only explanation you can offer for how your kid disappeared and ended up buried in the woods somewhere is that you faked murdering them, reasonable doubt isn't all that reasonable a thing to have. She hasn't claimed that she didn't bury the kid out there, just that she accidentally did it...

For that alone she deserves every bit of scorn that can possibly be heaped upon her.
Yes, we should scorn her because she might have been scared, stressed, and perhaps not very intelligent! That's totally a reason to convict her of murder or to ostracize her forever.

Or, you know, actual evidence could be brought forth for a conviction, rather than subscribing to the mob mentality and assuming guilt without evidence. Good thing you aren't a lawyer or judge, and heaven help whoever gets you in their jury.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:I admit I'm only mildly surprised by this.
Same here. I blame the ineptitude of the prosecution.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Highlord Laan wrote:
Which proves that the media should never be allowed anywhere near a court of law. There was not enough evidence to prove her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. End of fucking story. Tell any of the mouth-breathing jackasses that have been glued to their TV's watching the whole case on FauxNews that though, and all you'll get is the kind of bullshit you just spouted. So, despite being Not Guilty, everybody and their dog will treat her as otherwise, because we all know that mob justice is the only real justice, right?
So everyone should just go back to acting as if nothing had happened?

And social ostracism isn't the same as going to jail, getting lynched or getting the needle, you drooling moron.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Did you actually read what her defense was?

A great one apparently. It opens her up to other charges, but they will all be placed under time served and probation. And with the apparent condition of the body, there is no way to confirm or deny the drowning. Pretty ingenious and too bad the lawyer that came up with it can't let everyone know how smart he is to drum up more business.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Saying it was accidental and she panicked was OK (that's literally the only story they could really go with), but they were saying crazy shit like her father molested her, and all other manner of things you'd use to try and get a lesser sentence with, rather than an acquittal.

Frankly the reason they won was because the prosecution was utter bullshit. Even had she been convicted the behavior of the prosecutor was so horrendous during the trial that she'd have won an appeal. For instance, at one point during the defenses closing arguments the lead prosecutor was laughing at what the defense lawyer was saying, something that's a big fucking no no.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

AMT wrote:Yes, we should scorn her because she might have been scared, stressed, and perhaps not very intelligent! That's totally a reason to convict her of murder or to ostracize her forever.
To expand: everything I've heard about her and her family suggests that they are completely dysfunctional in everyway. I can honestly believe the daughter died by drinking some chemical, drowning in a pool, or some other way that isn't murder and the family doing stupid shit for a month and only then calling the cops.

There's a difference between fucked-up and a murderer, and if the state can't prove it to a group of US jurors, then there wasn't much of a case anyway.

As for her being ostracized: only for a few years, if that, methinks. I'll bet shit to shinola that some other big crime is going to pop up and everyone is going to be enraged by that, in addition to some huge political scandal and about a million other actual newsworthy events and she'll fall into obscurity.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!