Top Gear: Series 15

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Top Gear: Series 15

Post by Lost Soal »

Just had a look at TV Guide and found out that Top Gear is back. About 45 minutes ago. Going to have to wait for it to finish now and watch on I Player. Anyway:
New series. Jeremy Clarkson gets behind the wheel of a Reliant Robin to investigate the reasons behind the lack of three-wheeled cars on the market. Meanwhile, the Stig takes the Bentley Continental Supersports for a spin around the test track, and James May fires up the Toyota Hilux for a final challenge - a gruelling drive up Eyjafjallajokull, the Icelandic volcano that days later would erupt, halting flights in British airspace
So...
Top Gear is to blame. Talk about starting a fire.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: Top Gear: Series 15

Post by Bounty »

They're off to a good start at least. Turns out a Reliant isn't very stable...
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Is that the Hilux that Jeremy banged up, scraped, crashed, sank, smashed, dropped, burnt down, and demolished? Or is that the one that they drove to the Pole?

Or maybe just another new Hilux?

*sigh* I wish there was a way to get the new Top Gear episodes over here. I mean, a legal way, a way that didn't nessessitate sitting through stitched-together YouTube segments or BitTorrent.

Is there? (On that note, is there likewise a way to get Ashes to Ashes?)
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It's the one the camera crew followed them to the pole in.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I think BBC America shows it some times and you can get complete seasons on DVD (but that obviously necessitates a bit of a wait). Torrents are, sadly, probably your best bet.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

I think BBC America is a full year behind the UK.

Given that the BBC knows Top Gear is heavily torrented for viewing in the United States, one wonders why they don't just bring BBC America up to speed. Surely it can't be that hard to air concurrantly with the main?

Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Is that the Hilux that Jeremy banged up, scraped, crashed, sank, smashed, dropped, burnt down, and demolished? Or is that the one that they drove to the Pole?

Or maybe just another new Hilux?

*sigh* I wish there was a way to get the new Top Gear episodes over here. I mean, a legal way, a way that didn't nessessitate sitting through stitched-together YouTube segments or BitTorrent.

Is there? (On that note, is there likewise a way to get Ashes to Ashes?)

There are legal ways to watch British shows from America or vice versa. It is perfectly legal to use a proxy server to get past any geographical gating (at least in most countries, I believe in the US it's legal but i'd advise checking first). However, free proxy servers are slow - and I mean like 56k slow - if you want to watch something like BBC Iplayer, you'd have to shell out some money to use a proxy, but then you can watch BBC Iplayer easily.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I LOL'd @ the Reliant challenge. I also forget that Clarkson is from W. Yorkshire too.

Also, an estate for Reasonably Priced Car? Seems odd. Cee-apostrophe-d.

EDIT: Oh yeah, spot the error.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I think BBC America is a full year behind the UK.

Given that the BBC knows Top Gear is heavily torrented for viewing in the United States, one wonders why they don't just bring BBC America up to speed. Surely it can't be that hard to air concurrantly with the main?
Best Buy, Amazon and Chapters all have the series. Usually I see Series 10 and 11 in Best Buy.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: Also, an estate for Reasonably Priced Car? Seems odd. Cee-apostrophe-d.
The Cee'd isn't an estate. It's a hatchback in the "super-mini" class. I've ended up with it twice when renting a "super-mini" probably because rental companies love the 7 years warranty. Very comfy and roomy car for its class, but pretty dull to drive.

Agreed on the Reliant challenge. I loved that one, especially the conveniently placed celebrities that helped him back up on his wheels.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Aaron wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I think BBC America is a full year behind the UK.

Best Buy, Amazon and Chapters all have the series. Usually I see Series 10 and 11 in Best Buy.
I believe series 10 in the States have the edited BBC America presentations, so it's not worth the money. 11 and 12 apparently have the full-length episodes.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, spot the error.
It's copyrighted 2020.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, spot the error.
It's copyrighted 2020.
Okay, if the BB-fucking-C can't get Roman numerals right we should just stop using them altogether.

Another great start. Jeremy almost had a good idea, until he didn't. I saw somewhere that the Reliant video was supposed to be a safety video, and whenever I hear the words "safety" and "Jeremy Clarkson" in the same sentence, I can't help but laugh.

But too serious :wink:
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

eion wrote:Another great start. Jeremy almost had a good idea, until he didn't. I saw somewhere that the Reliant video was supposed to be a safety video, and whenever I hear the words "safety" and "Jeremy Clarkson" in the same sentence, I can't help but laugh.
Jeremy Clarkson's videos are often very informative about personal safety. Specifically, if you're going to drive a Reliant Robin or any other three-wheeler with the one wheel up front like a twat, you should have a four-point safety harness, a crash helmet, and ensure there are a great many minor celebrities on-hand to right your twatmobile when you inevitably crash it.

Much like the Polar driving lesson taught us all a vital safety lesson: Don't go to the Pole with Jeremy Clarkson, and if you must go to the pole with Jeremy Clarkson, do not under any circumstances be a tin of spam; or any other celebratory object owned by James May. (Also don't put your hand in polar water, don't walk around outside with your penis outside of your trousers, don't drive your polar explorer-truck like a twat, and don't try to use the entruck lavatory facilities without first confiscating the keys from Jeremy Clarkson or any other oaf you may be stuck with.)

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
eion wrote:Another great start. Jeremy almost had a good idea, until he didn't. I saw somewhere that the Reliant video was supposed to be a safety video, and whenever I hear the words "safety" and "Jeremy Clarkson" in the same sentence, I can't help but laugh.
Jeremy Clarkson's videos are often very informative about personal safety. Specifically, if you're going to drive a Reliant Robin or any other three-wheeler with the one wheel up front like a twat, you should have a four-point safety harness, a crash helmet, and ensure there are a great many minor celebrities on-hand to right your twatmobile when you inevitably crash it.

Much like the Polar driving lesson taught us all a vital safety lesson: Don't go to the Pole with Jeremy Clarkson, and if you must go to the pole with Jeremy Clarkson, do not under any circumstances be a tin of spam; or any other celebratory object owned by James May. (Also don't put your hand in polar water, don't walk around outside with your penis outside of your trousers, don't drive your polar explorer-truck like a twat, and don't try to use the entruck lavatory facilities without first confiscating the keys from Jeremy Clarkson or any other oaf you may be stuck with.)
We also learned that drinking and driving is fucking hilarious very dangerous.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

darthdavid wrote:We also learned that drinking and driving is fucking hilarious very dangerous.
But he wasn't driving; he was sailing, in international waters no less!

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Jeremy Clarkson's videos are often very informative about personal safety. Specifically, if you're going to drive a Reliant Robin or any other three-wheeler with the one wheel up front like a twat, you should have a four-point safety harness, a crash helmet, and ensure there are a great many minor celebrities on-hand to right your twatmobile when you inevitably crash it.

I did like how the support crew fixed the truck's tire by inflating it with flammable gas and then igniting it using the heat to reseal the tire. It seems to me that could have gone really badly.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Tsyroc wrote: I did like how the support crew fixed the truck's tire by inflating it with flammable gas and then igniting it using the heat to reseal the tire. It seems to me that could have gone really badly.
That is indeed awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aadKpDjPXMA
Starts at 1:18, "Great success"
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Jeremy Clarkson's videos are often very informative about personal safety.
To be honest the whole series tends to be a big documentary about how Clarkson should be kept away from anything you like to keep in one piece, or any project you'd like to complete successfully in some form. And if you can't keep him away, at least hide all the hammers.

That and:
- inflatable blimps are suicidally attracted to airports (although that could have been May's abysmal navigation).
- Building your own amphibian vehicle works if you give it lots of POOWHAAARRRHH (and keep Clarkson away from the steering wheel).
- you cannot buy a cheap sports car and hope it will last very long if you use it like a sports car.
- you cannot build your own space shuttle.
- A V8 is a lousy engine when powering domestic appliances.
- Lancias are crap.
- Alfa Romeos have some sort of pheromone delivery system that makes people love them, but they're crap as well.
- Keep caravans and Morris Marinas ten miles away from the Top Gear studio at all times.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Twigler wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Jeremy Clarkson's videos are often very informative about personal safety.
To be honest the whole series tends to be a big documentary about how Clarkson should be kept away from anything you like to keep in one piece, or any project you'd like to complete successfully in some form. And if you can't keep him away, at least hide all the hammers.

That and:
- inflatable blimps are suicidally attracted to airports (although that could have been May's abysmal navigation).
- Building your own amphibian vehicle works if you give it lots of POOWHAAARRRHH (and keep Clarkson away from the steering wheel).
- you cannot buy a cheap sports car and hope it will last very long if you use it like a sports car.
- Lancias are crap.
- Alfa Romeos have some sort of pheromone delivery system that makes people love them, but they're crap as well.
- Keep caravans and Morris Marinas ten miles away from the Top Gear studio at all times.
Also, avoid pianos if you drive a Morris Marina...
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Twigler wrote:To be honest the whole series tends to be a big documentary about how Clarkson should be kept away from anything you like to keep in one piece, or any project you'd like to complete successfully in some form. And if you can't keep him away, at least hide all the hammers.

That and:
- Lancias are crap.
-James May can't navigate worth beans.
-On the amphibious vehicle note, don't try to make one out of a minivan. It just won't work.
-You can build your own space shuttle, you've just got to hope that all the parts work on the very first try, otherwise what you get is a very expensive firework.
-Caravans and Morris Marinas should be delivered to the Top Gear studio at minimum at the combined pace at which they are produced and imported into the UK.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Bah, why is this season only six episodes too? It's been seven months nearly since the last one, and that was seven episodes. It's not like the Beeb had any massive spending cuts since then.

They'd better destroy more shit in these next five episodes then.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bah, why is this season only six episodes too? It's been seven months nearly since the last one, and that was seven episodes. It's not like the Beeb had any massive spending cuts since then.

They'd better destroy more shit in these next five episodes then.
They helped shut down Europe. Is that not enough? :P
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

No. Want more. ¬_¬
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Bah, why is this season only six episodes too?
It is seven, as usual.