FIFA World Cup Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hillary
Jedi Master

FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Hillary »

Just over two weeks away. A few questions to throw out.

1) Who will you be supporting?

2) How far do you think they'll get?

3) Who do you think will win the competition?

In my case, I will be supporting my home country, England.

Due to a pretty useful draw, it would be a bit of a disaster if they didn't make it to the quarter finals, where they'll likely play France or Mexico. I actually think they'll make it past either of those to the semis, where they lose to Brazil or, possibly, Holland.

Spain will win, as they have, by far, the best squad.
What is WRONG with you people
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: FIFA World Cup - Predictions?

Post by salm »

1) Germany
2) we win
3) we win
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Hillary wrote:1) Who will you be supporting?
North Korea.

They're the most historically interesting.
Not far at all.
France, Germany, Brazil, or one of the usual suspects.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1) No-one. I hate football. England's chance will be unavoidable though.
2) Not very far at all. Despite the massive media hype that always goes and tries to get everyone's hope up.
3)Not a clue.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

1) STRAYA

2) We're in a fucking hard group. We'll be lucky to make the round of 16.

3) I reckon that we'll be looking at a dark(er) horse coming through, maybe the Netherlands or Cote D'Ivoire.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

1) EN-GER-LAND

2) I keep telling myself it's all about taking part (the quarters, where we belong)

3) EN-GER-LAND (Spain)
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Zac Naloen wrote:1) EN-GER-LAND

2) I keep telling myself it's all about taking part (the quarters, where we belong)

3) EN-GER-LAND (Spain)
I have to say that it all seems a bit low key as far as England are concerned. It's certainly not been touted in the tabloids as a foregone conclusion that we will win - which makes a nice change. This will all alter when we win the group, of course.

I keep reading that a large contingent of Argentinian hoolies are going to be present. Fortunately, we're unlikely to play them at any point.

Incidentally, it's IN-GER-LUND.
What is WRONG with you people
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

It's become fashionable for the media to talk down our chances, or in some tabloids case out right sabotage our chances by trying create discord in the camp.

I foresee a world cup where we go out against the first decent team we come up against, just like usual. Then we can watch the final two rounds without having to deal with the fair weather england fans.
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

As cool as it is to root for the US, we're obviously not going to go far. But my famiy has a long history of rooting for Brazil - ai haven't been able to keep track of the Cup leadup, but Brazil's usually a good bet.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

1. Holland
2. Potential to make it into the finals.
3. Holland.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Italia, because I am a fanboy when it comes to soccer football. I expect nothing less than a repeat of Germany, although I hope there will be less more headbutting.
XXXI
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

We've got a pool running on this at work.
Naturally the poor Scottish bugger who picked England got heaped with scorn and he's half hoping he doesn't win.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Post by Iosef Cross »

I think that Italy, France, Argentina and Brazil have good chances of winning. The most probable winner is Brazil.

1) Who will you be supporting?

Brazil, Argentina and France.

As far as they get.

The chances of a single team winning the world cup are always lower than 50%. I would give 20% to Brazil, 15% to Argentina, Italy and France, 10% to Germany, 5% to England and Netherlands.
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Post by Iosef Cross »

In the 2006 world cup, the three favorites at the start were Brazil, Argentina and Germany. Not one of them reached the finals. In 2006 Brazil had a really lousy coach, a bad strategy and unmotivated players. In paper it was the best team in the world, in practice, it was the worst team among the major "powers" in football.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Iosef Cross wrote:I think that Italy, France, Argentina and Brazil have good chances of winning. The most probable winner is Brazil.
Of course! :P
Iosef Cross wrote:The chances of a single team winning the world cup are always lower than 50%. I would give 20% to Brazil, 15% to Argentina, Italy and France, 10% to Germany, 5% to England and Netherlands.
I would give Brazil 15% with the others, and give that 5% to what someone called the dark horses.
XXXI
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

1) The United States of America

2) I think they'll majestically under perform, just like they did in 1998 and 2006... but I can always hope they'll play like they did in 2002.

3) Holland, Spain, Germany, and Brazil have the best chance to win, with the odds favoring the two previous winners over the previous chokers. I think Italy and Argentina are unlikely to win, and the Ivory Coast is my dark horse to win it all.
Iosef Cross wrote:I would give 20% to Brazil, 15% to Argentina, Italy and France, 10% to Germany, 5% to England and Netherlands.
France has bad karma hanging over them because of Henry's handball that got them into the tournament. They won't get out of the first round
Argentina has Diego Maradona as coach, so they're fucked
England always underwhelms despite thinking they're god's gift to football. They won't get past the quarters
Italy won the last tournament with boring football; they could do it again, but I don't think they have the moxie to pull off two in a row.
Which leaves Brazil, Germany, and Holland - all of whom are peaking at the right time, have good players, good coaches, and believe they can do it (well, maybe not the Dutch)
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I didn't know Maradona was Argentina's coach!
XXXI
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Phantasee wrote:I didn't know Maradona was Argentina's coach!
He is, and he's an idiot... I wouldn't put it past that coked out retard to put Lionel Messi in goal and play a donkey at striker
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

He's kind of a love/hate guy. One match, and two very different goals, it's hard for me to love him when he did something worth hating for all time.
XXXI
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Personally, I don't give two shits about Maradona and the Hand of God - that might have something to do with the fact that he did it to England, a country with a completely unearned confidence when it comes to football. Much like the French, they've only proven capable of winning anything when playing in friendly territory. So fuck the English.

No, I despise Maradona because he wasted his career by blowing it up his nose, and in his post-playing career he is a joke. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4oM53ZacY

Now seriously, what kind of mouth breathing donkey fucker compares Eddie Johnson to Eusebio?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Germany has a huge problem with Michael Ballack out of the tournament. He suffered an injury.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Thanas wrote:Germany has a huge problem with Michael Ballack out of the tournament. He suffered an injury.

And it was nasty, quite possibly deliberate, tackle.

I was watching that game.

I don't think Argentina or Germany are going to get to the final. Ballacks injury leaves Germany without a midfield and Argentina have Maradona in charge, no Milito and Cambiasso? Barely scraped through the qualifiers against piss poor teams? yeh... they are screwed.

Brazil could win it, having seen a few of their games... under Dunga they are basically a perfectly drilled team that defend as well as attack, and they have real quality that can turn it on in the big games.

This could be Italys year again but they'd need to find some form. They definitely have the quality.

I really think Spain are just the best team in the world at the moment and if they play like they did in the Euros I'd love to see a final between them and Brazil. I hope it works out that way.

In the mean time I'll shout at the TV as England go out in the quarters yet again. Plenty of gifted players, but we have too many players that play in the same position and can't get a balanced team out of them.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

1) Portugal (One can dream:) )
2) Not far but won't disappear after the first round.
3) Brazil
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Zac Naloen wrote:
Thanas wrote:Germany has a huge problem with Michael Ballack out of the tournament. He suffered an injury.

And it was nasty, quite possibly deliberate, tackle.

I was watching that game.
Deliberate, absolutely. Intent to injure - I don't think so. Boateng could have destroyed Ballack if he'd wanted, coming from behind as he did. He pulled up, but it was just too late.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

1) Our green and gold HEROES

2) As ando already said, difficult group and we could struggle to make the 16. That said, IIRC if we do make the 16 we most likely play England...man, fucking them up would be golden. We could lose the next 10 ashes and I'd still be smiling.

3) Spain
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson