13%
Donation
No votes

Total votes: 69

Havok
Miscreant

"Stimulus" Checks/Bush Bribery Plans

Post by Havok »

So, since they are starting to come on Monday, I was wondering what the boards US citizens receiving one are going to use it for. Bills, debt or luxury?

Bills, meaning normal monthly bills like groceries, gas, water gas and power etc..

Debt, meaning the big bills like credit cards, student loans, bike payments.

Luxury, meaning the fun stuff like guns, hookers and blow, or whatever your hobbies might entail. :wink: Also, savings and investment.

Feel free to participate you crazy non-Americans, but please indicate you are not American if you do vote and if it is not widely known. Thanks.

Edit: Added Savings and Investment to the Luxury option.
Last edited by Havok on 2008-04-26 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Shit. I meant this for Off Topic. Could one of you big studs... or studettes, do your thing? Sorry.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thread moved and updated, title edited to make it distinct from N&P posts.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Mr Bean wrote:Thread moved and updated, title edited to make it distinct from N&P posts.
:lol: Nice. And for the record, I will be paying bills.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Deposit the cheque into a foreign account since I feel the US financial system is flirting with systemic failure. Capital flight, it's what happens when you lie to your customers too often and they don't trust you with their money anymore.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

My car needs a tune up.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I suppose technically luxury since I want to get a new bed. My current one is okay but it's the one I had in college so it's a full and I want to get at least a queen and probably a king.

So the money is going towards that.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

This is going to knock out a chunk of my wife's car loan. (Otherwise, it'd go into savings... but the car loan obviously has the higher interest rate.)
Later...
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Bills and mortgage, I guess.

We don't carry month-to-month debt, unless the mortgage counts.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

A good chunk of it's going towards my dentist. Depending on how much I've got left I may wind up picking up a PSP, some more clothes, or possibly some furniture. Maybe.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'd drop it on the mortgage, or put it into saving up for a car or better house.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I feel like I should invest the money, but may end up just buying something. Alternatively, it could go towards a broker's fee if my roommate and I find a new place in may.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

I plan on using it to stimulate the economy.....
....of Taiwan*. :D

I'm going to use it as part of the down payment on a Kymco People 250 scooter.
At $4/gallon, this scooter will pay for itself pretty quickly, considering that I now pay almost $60 to fill up the tank on my 1992 Cutlass Ciera that gets about 18mpg.

*or if you're an unreconstructed paleocon like me, the Republic of China.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

My central air crapped out last year, and the wife and I decided not to fix it to save money. We are going to use the check to help pay for the repair this year.
Last edited by Haminal10 on 2008-04-29 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

Because of my residence move and change in dependents claimed, I owed Maryland $613 in taxes. I received $75 as a normal return and I will be getting a $600 check which will offset the state payments. No big-budget purchases for me.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

For us, it's all going into an account to pay for my wife's next surgery.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

I am like a pelican. Wherever I turn, there's always this enormous bill in front of me. (Latest offense against my credit: Car woes!)

Good thing that I got a huge-ass rebate from both govs atop this package.
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Dump it into my paypal or visa account and use it to mail order stuff from out of country.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bills. I'm still seriously underemployed, my husband's disability case is still pending, and yet we still need to eat. Alternatively, we might use it for my husband's quarterly blood tests, which he is now a month overdue to get. Oil change for the truck. Or maybe pay two month's rent. We can stretch the money out over a month or two for living expenses, but the only part of the economy we'll be "stimulating" is food, fuel, and rent.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

You need a savings/investment option.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yea. I forgot to put that in and Bean's contribution was "donation".
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Superman

Post by Superman »

Well, I guess you could say that saving or investing the money is a luxury.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Bills, Debt, AND Luxury. I would like a new camera for Alaska this summer (3-400), and I can use the rest to make an extra car payment (150 - which will take me down to 10 payment left), and the rest will make a nice addition to my food budget (all the better to buy some beef in bulk).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Superman

Post by Superman »

MariusRoi wrote:(all the better to buy some beef in bulk).
Do you store that in a freezer?
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Savings. Fuck the economy.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.