What do you think of District of Columbia statehood?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

What do you think of District of Columbia statehood?

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I've heard multiple viewpoints on the subject, and was curious what was thought of it here.

EDIT: fixed title
Last edited by Qwerty 42 on 2007-12-17 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Independance from what?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

err, bad topic title, my apologies, I'll fix it now.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

No reason not to give it statehood. While we're at it, Puerto Rico too!
Image Image
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: What do you think of District of Columbia statehood?

Post by FedRebel »

Why should DC be a state? It's just a metropolitan area built on swampland.

Many of those islands we own in the Caribbean and the Pacific are far more deserving for statehood status.

The only complication I can think of is the Virgin Islands, we only own half of the chain, so we'd have to "acquire" the other half from the Brits.

Other than that we could try and build on those Pro US annexation groups in Britain and Canada, it'd be quite a challenge what with the current negative view of America but the long term benefits would be worth it. :D
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

If Wyoming gets to be a state, so does Washington DC.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I have no problem with statehood for DC. They deserve the Congressional respresentation. I'd have no issue with giving any other US terrirotry statehood either.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

FedRebel wrote:Why should DC be a state? It's just a metropolitan area built on swampland.
Because it has a larger population than some US states, yet has no Congressional representation?
Many of those islands we own in the Caribbean and the Pacific are far more deserving for statehood status.
Really? Do any of them exist within the continental United States? Do any of the want statehood?
The only complication I can think of is the Virgin Islands, we only own half of the chain, so we'd have to "acquire" the other half from the Brits.
Right, it's not like we could just make a state out of the territory we currently possess or combine them into a state with Puerto Rico or anything. :roll:
Other than that we could try and build on those Pro US annexation groups in Britain and Canada, it'd be quite a challenge what with the current negative view of America but the long term benefits would be worth it. :D
You're an idiot.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I think the main question is: who would the good people of DC vote for if they were made a state? And since the GOP has not touted the idea in their eight years of power, I doubt it is them. We'll have to see a change of government before it can get enacted.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Ubiquitous wrote:I think the main question is: who would the good people of DC vote for if they were made a state? And since the GOP has not touted the idea in their eight years of power, I doubt it is them. We'll have to see a change of government before it can get enacted.
It would vote overwhelmingly Democratic. I dunno the process for admitting new states, though. I assume it's a simple majority vote and Presidential signing, though

Does Washington D.C. have any special designation in the US Constitution? I assume it does, considering the fact that it has 2 electoral votes. If it does have some special status, then the Constitution would have to be amended.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Flagg wrote:I have no problem with statehood for DC. They deserve the Congressional respresentation. I'd have no issue with giving any other US terrirotry statehood either.
So give most of the land back to Maryland and Virginia and keep the area around capitol hill and the white house as a federal reserve.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Aeolus wrote:
Flagg wrote:I have no problem with statehood for DC. They deserve the Congressional respresentation. I'd have no issue with giving any other US terrirotry statehood either.
So give most of the land back to Maryland and Virginia and keep the area around capitol hill and the white house as a federal reserve.
That's an option, but DC has it's own identity and I see no reason not to just allow them status as their own State. They already have electoral college votes.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

FedRebel wrote:
Don't make me laugh, the groups that are in favour of unification with the US (at least in Canada) are so far right of the spectrum that they make the GOP look like the NDP. And the average Canadian wants nothing to do with joining , just one of the many things we'd have to give up would be universal healthcare. What exactly would we get in return that's worth it?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Flagg wrote:
Aeolus wrote:
That's an option, but DC has it's own identity and I see no reason not to just allow them status as their own State. They already have electoral college votes.
The votes give the population representation already. As to why not a state, because its the national capitol to make it both that and a state would look like it was raised above the other states. Even though that would not be true in fact the symbolism would be very obvious and for that reason alone the other states would be against it.
Add to that the fact that as a state it would be Democratic and therefore to insure enough votes to grant statehood you would have to find republican state to join as well. As was the tradition before the civil war.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
FedRebel wrote:
Don't make me laugh, the groups that are in favour of unification with the US (at least in Canada) are so far right of the spectrum that they make the GOP look like the NDP. And the average Canadian wants nothing to do with joining , just one of the many things we'd have to give up would be universal healthcare. What exactly would we get in return that's worth it?
Lots and lots of guns.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Aeolus wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Aeolus wrote: So give most of the land back to Maryland and Virginia and keep the area around capitol hill and the white house as a federal reserve.
The votes give the population representation already.
In electing a President, not in electing members of congress.
As to why not a state, because its the national capitol to make it both that and a state would look like it was raised above the other states. Even though that would not be true in fact the symbolism would be very obvious and for that reason alone the other states would be against it.
So we should deny those people the congressional reprsentation that would be gained by statehood because other states wouldn't like it? That's retarded.
Add to that the fact that as a state it would be Democratic and therefore to insure enough votes to grant statehood you would have to find republican state to join as well. As was the tradition before the civil war.
Not if you have a Democratic congress and President you wouldn't.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

DC already has representation in Congress and the Senate, they just don't get a vote.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:DC already has representation in Congress and the Senate, they just don't get a vote.
Meaning they have no representation in Congress.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Flagg wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:DC already has representation in Congress and the Senate, they just don't get a vote.
The representative from DC can sit on and even chair congressional committies, and can speak on all issues. That's not nothing.
ImageImage
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Flagg wrote:
The representative from DC can sit on and even chair congressional committies, and can speak on all issues. That's not nothing.
It's not a vote. That's where the power lies.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Flagg wrote:
Aeolus wrote:
Flagg wrote: That's an option, but DC has it's own identity and I see no reason not to just allow them status as their own State. They already have electoral college votes.
The votes give the population representation already.
In electing a President, not in electing members of congress.
As to why not a state, because its the national capitol to make it both that and a state would look like it was raised above the other states. Even though that would not be true in fact the symbolism would be very obvious and for that reason alone the other states would be against it.
So we should deny those people the congressional reprsentation that would be gained by statehood because other states wouldn't like it? That's retarded.
Not if you have a Democratic congress and President you wouldn't.
On this issue what the states want does matter. They would tell their reps to vote against. Even if all the democratic reps disobeyed and voted for (very unlikely)they would have a very hard time getting past the fillibuster and every other road block the republicans would throw at them. The only way around that is find a second state to let in to balance it out.
If you really believe they need representation in congress the easiest way would be to give the land back to Maryland and Virginia. That avoids the unacceptable symbolism and a lot of the entrenched political opposition.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The last thing we need is another state that’s already fucked to hell and back. Heck didn’t Congress take back some of the local governing power it had passed down, because the place was being run so poorly? Puerto Rico should be kicked out on its ass.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I'd like to see some other us territories get statehood. Puerto Rico could become a swing state in short order, with 23 electoral votes. Guam and the Marshall Islands less so, though.
ImageImage
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

DC should not be a state. It was created as the nations capital specifically to avoid rivalry and tension amongst the various states back in the 1790s. Being home to the seat of government is a greater honor than statehood, at least as far as I'm concerned. This was realized by the founders of this nation over 200 years ago, and there isn't any reason to change it.
S.I.T.H.: Seeks Illicit Teachings and Heresies

Breaking news: News Channel13's helicopter has crashed. News Channel13 is first on the scene...

I bid you Dark Greetings....
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Darth Massacrus wrote:DC should not be a state. It was created as the nations capital specifically to avoid rivalry and tension amongst the various states back in the 1790s. Being home to the seat of government is a greater honor than statehood, at least as far as I'm concerned. This was realized by the founders of this nation over 200 years ago, and there isn't any reason to change it.
You mean other than the people who live there who don't have Congressional votes?