OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Thanas »

Twigler wrote:The Octopus seems to agree with that assessment, Thanas:
Oracle Octopus prediction worries Germany.
His record is so far only unblemished when Spain is not playing. He predicted a German win against Spain in the Euro 2008 - and we lost. Now he predicts a Spanish win... heh.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

15 minutes now. Go Germany.

We need a Netherlands-Germany final.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Spain is controlling the game as expected so far, they have great possession.

Especially their flankers are great.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ramos, you fucker. That should have been yellow.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What a shot by Trochowski.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, halftime, with Spain having more possession and Germany having two good counters.

Spain is a bit better, but not by much.

Germany seems to be a little bit intimidated by the Spanish.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Spain is the slightly better team so far, but not by much. Villa is a master at piercing the German defenses though. Argentinians take note! Overall impression is that the match just kind of rolls along; it hasn't been terribly exciting yet. Here's to hoping that whoever wins, does so only after an extension and a set of penalties -- a long slogging match and a day less rest might give the Netherlands an advantage on Sunday :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I hate ABC for not showing this. Soccer on the radio sucks because I don't recognize all the names and terminology yet.
Been a pretty good match so far though.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Its a very tactical game - not many chances, but so many opportunities for chances - especially by the Spaniards.

However, the Germans have kept up quite well so far.

Heres hoping for the best :)

Whoever wins this game is the favorite for the world championship.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Germany have set up to contain (well to be fair sometimes press) and counter, and that counter part has been absolutely devastating for them all tournament, for Spain it's the same old, same old, keep possession, press and break down the defence.

The threat at Germany's counter attack (again best in the tournament) is the only thing that his making Spain tentative.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Siege wrote:Spain is the slightly better team so far, but not by much. Villa is a master at piercing the German defenses though.

Yeah, he and Pedro are great. Boateng especially has a lot of problems with him, though he's gotten better over the last ten minutes or so.

EDIT: That said, this reminds me a lot of 2008.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

WE have to contain Alonso a lot better. This is unacceptable.

EDIT: Janssen for Boateng. Good choice.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Neuer deserves a medal.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jansen has a great game so far.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kroos for Trochowsky. More younger players or what is Löw hoping for here?
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So did Germany just blow it's load already or what? 11-2 on shots? The commentators say the Germans look dead on their feet so far. Accurate assessment?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:So did Germany just blow it's load already or what? 11-2 on shots? The commentators say the Germans look dead on their feet so far. Accurate assessment?

No, dumb assesment. The Spanish are best at the passing game and that is what they are doing. 11-2 is not even an accurate count.

EDIT: Read the Guardian liveblog.
------------
------------
My LPs
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looks like Germany's overplaying the ball when they have possession. There's been several chances where they could've broken downfield on the counter but they wasted too much time passing the ball around waiting for a good setup, and by the time that happened the chance was gone. Same thing when they got the ball in the attacking zone, they had chances to put the ball on net but wasted them trying to make passes or go in for the perfect position for a shot.

It's like watching a Leafs game in hockey.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Iniesta is about the size of one of Klose's legs! :lol:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kroos. What an opportunity - sadly the spanish goalie is up to his game.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

aerius wrote:Looks like Germany's overplaying the ball when they have possession. There's been several chances where they could've broken downfield on the counter but they wasted too much time passing the ball around waiting for a good setup, and by the time that happened the chance was gone. Same thing when they got the ball in the attacking zone, they had chances to put the ball on net but wasted them trying to make passes or go in for the perfect position for a shot.
Another dumb assesment. Look at the space the spanish leave - there is almost none. The Spanish are playing a very strong defensive game.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAL!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And Spain makes the goal. I think this might be it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ach!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

OMG WHAT THE FUCK was Pedro doing? :shock: