NFL 2011

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Re: NFL 2011

Post by The Spartan »

Fuck... he was a hell of an extra weapon for us.

That said, I don't think it'll hurt us too badly. Our offense isn't really the problem.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

It really seemed like the Jets were either going to bring in Plax or Moss, and honestly of the two I think they got the right choice. I feel like Randy Moss is one of a handful of players who would still be a problem on a Rex Ryan team. Plax has something to prove, let's see if he's still got it. We should have enough to bring back Cromartie.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So in my eyes, there is really only one question left this offseason...

Where will T.O. go to scorn and disdain while putting up at least 80 catches, 900 yards and 10 TDs? Who wants him? Who needs him? New team or a surprise old team?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Looks like the Jets are keeping Cromartie.

This has not been a pleasing offseason at all.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fuck... I mean all the way around...

We don't make a play for Peterson in the draft knowing we were going to release Clements, knowing landing Nnamdi is a long shot. Then, we don't get anu CB in free agency at all. We let one of our smartest linebackers go, our number one receiver is out 4-6 weeks. There has been zero time to install the new coaches system on offense or defense. Our QB is playing for one last shot at redemption (which could be a positive) our starting running back and best offensive player is coming of a hip injury.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm pretty happy with the Jets offseason so far. Retained who they needed to, showed some guts signing Plax, and the players themselves showed how high morale is by offering to restructure their deals to allow the team to compete for free agents. Now all they need to do is lock in David Harris, and ship me my goddamn tickets.

I can't think of any other notable free agents out there other than Randy Moss for teams to battle over, unless I'm overlooking someone?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:So in my eyes, there is really only one question left this offseason...

Where will T.O. go to scorn and disdain while putting up at least 80 catches, 900 yards and 10 TDs? Who wants him? Who needs him? New team or a surprise old team?
Owens isn't going anywhere since his knee was torn up. Moss just retired so that kinda leaves Braylon Edwards or Malcolm Floyd if you're looking for a receiver.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Pbbbtt. I'll believe it when I see it. Owens is a physical marvel even at his age and he isn't about to give up the opportunity to distance himself from Moss, and everyone else, stat wise. He will probably only accept being second to Jerry and he wants a ring. I could see him going to the Ravens or even the Cardinals or Lions to play with great young receivers and taking the heat off them while providing a solid option for some pretty good young QBs.

Floyd already signed IIRC and Edwards brings all the angst of old Moss or old Owens with about 1/10 the performance.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: Malcom Floyd has an older brother named Malcolm Floyd. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

NeoGoomba wrote:Jets just picked up Plax. Lets hope his receiving and ball-handling skills improved in prison.

/puts on sunglasses

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I'm not sure why you're saying this. Since he became a Giant, he's always struck me as a "hands" receiver, the opposite of what you're saying. He seemed to have an uncanny ability to hoover up any pass thrown in his general direction, and Eli Manning's performance was lacking when Plax was gone. I wish the Giants had kept him, but going to the AFC is the next best thing. It's bad enough the fucking Eagles now have Nnamdi Asomugha...
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

houser2112 wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:Jets just picked up Plax. Lets hope his receiving and ball-handling skills improved in prison.

/puts on sunglasses

I'm not sure why you're saying this. Since he became a Giant, he's always struck me as a "hands" receiver, the opposite of what you're saying. He seemed to have an uncanny ability to hoover up any pass thrown in his general direction, and Eli Manning's performance was lacking when Plax was gone. I wish the Giants had kept him, but going to the AFC is the next best thing. It's bad enough the fucking Eagles now have Nnamdi Asomugha...
/facepalm
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

We got Casey Rabach back. He should be a good backup for Birk. Only problem is his age.....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

NeoGoomba wrote:
houser2112 wrote:

/puts on sunglasses

/facepalm
Maybe you need to draw a diagram or emphasize the prison part so he'll catch the jokes. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Tsyroc wrote:
Maybe you need to draw a diagram or emphasize the prison part so he'll catch the jokes. :)
I really don't want to imbed a clip from Oz... :P
-Agent Kay
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Tsyroc wrote:Maybe you need to draw a diagram or emphasize the prison part so he'll catch the jokes. :)
Things are always so obvious in hindsight. *sigh*
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

MSNBC
Bubba Smith dies at 66
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT

Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1967 NFL draft who later found fame as an actor, has died at the age of 66.

After ending an All-American career at Michigan State in 1966, Smith was taken first in the draft by the Baltimore Colts. He played on Baltimore’s defensive line for five years, then was traded to the Oakland Raiders, where he played in 1973 and 1974, and finished his career with the Houston Oilers in 1975 and 1976.

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound Smith was one of the biggest players of his era. He won a ring at Super Bowl V and went to two Pro Bowls.

After retiring, Smith became an actor. He was best known for playing Moses Hightower in the first six Police Academy movies.

No cause of death has been determined, but officials said they believe Smith died of natural causes.
This sucks. I loved him in the 'Police Academy' movies when I was a kid.

What shocks me (not really as I know NFL players don't have long lifespans) was how relatively young he was.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote::lol: Malcom Floyd has an older brother named Malcolm Floyd. :lol:
According to the Union-Tribune, Floyd is going to Baltimore. Looks like the Ravens are finally getting the deep threat they've needed. Not only did he average almost 20 yards a catch last season, but he scored a TD in just under one out of every six receptions.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Flagg wrote:MSNBC
Bubba Smith dies at 66
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT

Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1967 NFL draft who later found fame as an actor, has died at the age of 66.

After ending an All-American career at Michigan State in 1966, Smith was taken first in the draft by the Baltimore Colts. He played on Baltimore’s defensive line for five years, then was traded to the Oakland Raiders, where he played in 1973 and 1974, and finished his career with the Houston Oilers in 1975 and 1976.

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound Smith was one of the biggest players of his era. He won a ring at Super Bowl V and went to two Pro Bowls.

After retiring, Smith became an actor. He was best known for playing Moses Hightower in the first six Police Academy movies.

No cause of death has been determined, but officials said they believe Smith died of natural causes.
This sucks. I loved him in the 'Police Academy' movies when I was a kid.

What shocks me (not really as I know NFL players don't have long lifespans) was how relatively young he was.
:cry: RIP Bubba.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

There was a great HBO documentary about black athletes from the South during the 1960s and part of it focused on Bubba Smith and trying to adjust to life going to school in the far North. It was rather moving, though I can't remember the name of it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Franklin is a Saint. Lawson is a Bengal... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

And seriously, what the fuck is Manny Lawson gonna do in a 4-3? He isn't strong enough to play end, and he isn't a 4-3 linebacker at all.

But come on. When arguably the best player in the league says they hope to god you keep someone... YOU KEEP THEM. Remember when Ray Lewis lost his big boys in the middle? I fucking do. ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Do the 49ers have enough players left to fill a roster? :lol:

I thought your team was loaded for bear in 2011 before they started telling FAs "don't let the door hit you on the way out". If the team wanted to unload somebody, they should start with that shitty receiver.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Horray! Plaxico is already going to miss one or two days of camp due to injury! And I read that they gave him $3 million guaranteed WITHOUT seeing him in any kind of conditioning/skills test. Gah.
-Agent Kay
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:Do the 49ers have enough players left to fill a roster? :lol:

I thought your team was loaded for bear in 2011 before they started telling FAs "don't let the door hit you on the way out". If the team wanted to unload somebody, they should start with that shitty receiver.
Well we have Sapoaga, who is one of the strongest players in the NFL at NT at a very conservative 330lb. McDonald is solid and of course Justin Smith is just a machine at end. We have Willis, Navarro Bowman, Paris Harrylson, Ahmad Brooks, Thadeous Gibson and the rookie Aldon Smith at linebacker. Aside from Willis, who comes in at 240, not one of them is under 250.

My concern, as it has been is defensive back. We still have Spencer, who for some reason can completely fucking lock down Larry Fitzgerald, at corner. We have a couple promising young players at CB as well as just signing Carlos Rogers who will if nothing else, add some fucking speed, which is what we have really lacked in our corners the last few years.

We also just signed Donte Whitiner, who has been solid for Buffalo the last few seasons. Hopefully though that doesn't signal we aren't still trying to retain Goldson. He is just starting to come on and I think is poised for a breakout year.

The wildcard is Taylor Mays. He is only in his second year, so I don't think we would already part ways with him, but I'm not sure if Harbaugh likes him. I think he has a fuck load of potential, but who knows. The Niners have gotten all mysterious as of late with their decision making. Harbaugh may be looking long term and wants to bring in his own guys. Or maybe he wants to be just bad enough to get Luck next year, but still with a solid talent base to build on. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Offensively, it is basically the same team. We lost Bass at center, but he was a fill in and only there for one year. He was a beast though.
Even still our line should be fucking amazing this year considering we have THREE #1s and a couple of 2s and 3s playing up there. We also picked up a veteran center. We also took a chance on Alex Boone, who is a monster and getting his career back on track, and had he not been drinking 40 beers a day, would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick coming out of Ohio State.

We have three or four fullbacks on the roster at the moment, but I have no doubt 6'1" 250lb Moran Norris will be leading the way for Gore and Anthony Dixon, who I look to to have a break out year, again this year.

Tight End is on lock with Vernon Davis and Delaine Walker, who are probably 1 & 2 in the league as far as speed at the position goes.

WR is again a question. I'm not sold on Crabtree at all, although he flashes brilliance. I'd rather take my chances with Morgan, Zeigler, Kyle Williams and Tedd Ginn. At this point, I wouldn't mind Edwards, who at least we know has a 1,200YRD 16TD season under his belt. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if T.O. came back at this point.

Then there is Alex Smith... Fuck. I have seen what he has gone through. I have seen the flashes. I have seen some down right amazing games from him. Unfortunately, I have seen the flip side too. I have seen the horrible decisions.

However, I think the bad stuff is due to the bad coaching and pressing too hard to make something happen. I'm looking forward to what Harbaugh can do with him because he DOES have talent. Far more than he is given credit for. It is balls that his first season with a good offensive minded coach that isn't crazy (Martz. "Pass protection? What's that?") has been truncated, but it is what it is.

It's also funny that people think Kaperknick is the answer, when he is just Alex Smith light coming out of college.

So basically, the offense is in the same boat it has been the last couple of seasons, with what should be a far better offensive line and a coach that knows what he is doing.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh and there is serious talk about Farve to the Dolphins. :|
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)