High school algebra/geometry
17%
Trigonometry
13%
Differential calculus
11%
Integral calculus
22%
Partial degree that makes use of math (detail in post)
10%
Degree in engineering (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in science (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in math (detail math experience in post)
8%
Terminal degree and research (detail research area/experience in post)
2%

Total votes: 156

fnord
Jedi Knight

Re: Just how much math have you learned?

Post by fnord »

Did the basics - differential/integral single and multivariate calculus, PDEs, ODEs, a heap of analysis, linear algebra, computational maths up the wazoo (almost another accidental minor), stats (the aforementioned accidental minor), discrete maths (much nerd rage there), mathematical modelling (applying the theoretical stuff was a blast, especially cooking CPUs).
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Degree in biology math goes up through differential and integral calculus (though I am a tad rusty) and advanced statistics.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

3rd year Mechanical Engineering undergrad. Derivatives, integrals, vector calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs. Fourier series made me want to cry just because it was so tedious. Also two quarters of what I guess would be numerical methods.

I'm comfortable with the calculus stuff and ODEs, but I have to admit feel like I don't quite have a solid grasp of linear algebra. Our lecturer was very talented at needlessly complicating simple concepts, and the book was terrible for anybody who wanted to learn out of it because it would just skip multiple steps in the few examples contained within it. Actually solving things was never too hard for me, but if I came across some sort of proof problem, I'd often just fail to make the necessary connections.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Exonerate wrote:I'm comfortable with the calculus stuff and ODEs, but I have to admit feel like I don't quite have a solid grasp of linear algebra. Our lecturer was very talented at needlessly complicating simple concepts, and the book was terrible for anybody who wanted to learn out of it because it would just skip multiple steps in the few examples contained within it. Actually solving things was never too hard for me, but if I came across some sort of proof problem, I'd often just fail to make the necessary connections.
I don't think you're alone. When I took linear algebra, I didn't really get it either; when I asked my prof about it, he said that nobody really *got* it until the second time they taught the course. Now that I've been exposed to the course material in a variety of different, more advanced, settings, I think I would have a pretty good idea of what's going on, but at the time I was pretty much clueless.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

Second order differential and integral calculus with trigonometric fun time, if I remember correctly (I taught it to myself, and never bothered to learn the names properly, just how to do it [yes I did take exams in it]).

I'm also doing economics at university which involves a certain degree of calculus such as partial differentiation, but nothing quite as complex as the stuff I did at school.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Math/Comp Sci major. Picked Math since that's what I identify with the most. Had to take Calculus, Vector Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Statistics. Small bits of Numerical Analysis. Comp Sci had a love for Discrete Math and Mathematical Logic. On the theory side I delved slightly into Topology but dug heavily into Number Theory which built into Group Theory in the second course. The graphics stuff I mess with on the side in programming is heavy in linear algebra, and depending on what I'm doing with the graphics, calculus as well.

Half my problem is I have a wide base of knowledge but don't go very deep anywhere. Trying to fix that in the evenings. No classes, just a bunch of textbooks I find on the web that look interesting.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Aren´t trigenometry and calculus included in high school mathematics? It used to be where i went to high school.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Granted I've been out of it for six years, but when I was in the highest actually required was the second course in algebra.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

salm wrote:Aren´t trigenometry and calculus included in high school mathematics? It used to be where i went to high school.
They are if you take more than the minimum required number of math courses. Where I went to school -- in Canada -- trigonometry was in grade 11, and calculus was in grade 13 (which was the fifth year of high school, before it was truncated to four years). Mandatory math stopped at grade 10, but of course, we had to take five years of english, despite the fact that most of us are native speakers. There's a rant there, but I'll leave it be for now.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

SCRawl wrote:
salm wrote:Aren´t trigenometry and calculus included in high school mathematics? It used to be where i went to high school.
They are if you take more than the minimum required number of math courses. Where I went to school -- in Canada -- trigonometry was in grade 11, and calculus was in grade 13 (which was the fifth year of high school, before it was truncated to four years). Mandatory math stopped at grade 10, but of course, we had to take five years of english, despite the fact that most of us are native speakers. There's a rant there, but I'll leave it be for now.
Ok. Here in Germany we had to take Math until grade 13 (9th year of highschool). I think calculus started in 11. Trigonometry started way earlier. Year 8 perhaps? Can´t really remember. It´s been 10 years ago.

But the school system is very different here and people who only go to 10 year or 9 year highschools might not have trigenometry or calculus.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Algebra->Geometry->Trig

Didn't progress in math past high-school-level instruction. Fortunately for me that turned out to be precisely the degree of math fluency I need, for my present work.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Masters in mathematics, mostly concentrating on areas relevant to statistics, with a smattering of other subjects. Calculus, of course, ODEs, PDEs, linear algebra, regression analysis, ANOVA, mathematical statistics, some dynamics, stochastic processes and real analysis. Also, the coursework and instruction on Bayesian analysis. I couldn't be graded for this study, because the only professor teaching the course happened to be my father. We'd like to believe that nepotism played no part in it, but tell that to the university.

Bayesian analysis formed the basis for my Masters thesis and my first peer-reviewed paper.
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematical Sciences.

My strong point is probably algebra.

I'd say I'm average in probability, calculus, numerical analysis, geometry, and ODEs.

My weakest points are PDEs, Statistics, and Real Analysis.

Subjects hardly touched would be complex variables, topology, optimization/control theory.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably a below average mathematician, and in the course of earning my bachelors, what I learned most was just how huge the field of mathematics was and how very little I knew. Right now I aspire to study enough to pass actuarial exams so I can just sell out and make some money.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The last maths I recall being able to do was solving simultaneous equations. I do remember us doing calculus after that, but by that point I was incredibly depressed and took no notice.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

First-year (integral) calculus here. Biology is thankfully light on mathematics :D.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Due to the somewhat twisted nature of the way the quarter system teaches things as opposed to the semester system, I know the beginnings of multivariate calculus to date, since OC is on the quarter system. Next semester, at WSU, I will be simultaneously taking Linear Algaebra and the full Multivariate calculus class. DiffEqs will come a semester after that, and statistics gets wedged in somewhere along the way.

As far as I know that will be it for me, even in nuclear engineering, though, if more is required, fine. Maths are my worst subject, by which I mean I get low B's in them. Amy does at least manage to avoid laughing at me when I come home freaking out over such mortal blows as having gotten an uncurved 74 on a maths test.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Due to the somewhat twisted nature of the way the quarter system teaches things as opposed to the semester system, I know the beginnings of multivariate calculus to date, since OC is on the quarter system. Next semester, at WSU, I will be simultaneously taking Linear Algaebra and the full Multivariate calculus class. DiffEqs will come a semester after that, and statistics gets wedged in somewhere along the way.
Just linear algebra and multivariable calculus in nuclear engineering? I would think that you'll need PDEs, too, to deal with things like heat flow and fluid dynamics. Are you expected to just pick those up along the way?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Forgot this earlier; sorry.
Master of Ossus wrote:
Surlethe wrote:The economics class is so far full of people who seem to have difficulty with simple linear equations. Differentiating was mentioned. Once.
What econ class is that? Is it like an intro to principles course, because Economists have basically used Calculus extensively since Ricardo. :wtf:
It's an intermediate principles class -- still heavily conceptual, but with a little bit more rigor. The professor mentioned differentiation once in the context of showing that the marginal revenue curve associated with a linear demand curve has half the slope. In any case, I think the class lacks rigor because the econ department at my uni serves the business school and the ac-sci/statistics program. The profs obviously know what they're doing, but the students don't; some of them still don't get that profit-maximizing decision-making is entirely independent of what the profit is used for ("buying toys or donating to the Little Sisters of the Poor?"), and we've been hammering on that all semester. I think that dumping calculus on them would be just cruel.
F. Douglass
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

I know the full gamut of the United States public high school math curriculum, and not much else. The few math courses I am required to take to supplement my degree path in history aren't much more than basic calculus/trigonometry refreshers.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I've got a Diplom in Computer Science (in general, the German degree roughly translates into the equivalent M.Sc.), so I had to do battle with the usual suspects like statistics, probability, complexity theory, automata and the whole theoretical computer science area, and "general" math up to differential equations. Trigonometry, calculus was taught in school, way before university...

Since graduating, though, I didn't need any of it, so mostly is locked away in some obscure corners of my mind...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

I had Algebra and Trigonometry in High School, but I never was that good in the former, in fact I had a tutor for years.

When I came to the US and started College, they had me take an intermediate Algebra class and later Business Calculus to get into the Business School.

As of right now I have little problem with linear equations but for anything beyond that I'll need a quick refresher.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Surlethe wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Due to the somewhat twisted nature of the way the quarter system teaches things as opposed to the semester system, I know the beginnings of multivariate calculus to date, since OC is on the quarter system. Next semester, at WSU, I will be simultaneously taking Linear Algaebra and the full Multivariate calculus class. DiffEqs will come a semester after that, and statistics gets wedged in somewhere along the way.
Just linear algebra and multivariable calculus in nuclear engineering? I would think that you'll need PDEs, too, to deal with things like heat flow and fluid dynamics. Are you expected to just pick those up along the way?
I mentioned DiffEqs? That's all I've heard it referred to as, though I see the correct term is PDE, apparently.

Or is there some difference between the two?

I'm not in maths for the sake of the maths, so I just do whatever they tell me to.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

Post by Illuminatus Primus »

Surlethe wrote:The economics class is so far full of people who seem to have difficulty with simple linear equations. Differentiating was mentioned. Once.
Most colleges force poli sci, marketing, and other fake majors through some of the basic econ in the sad belief that this will impart some decent "well-rounding" of knowledge. Of course, I think one of the reasons society is so fucked up is there are probably a lot more gay men in America than people who can do calculus. The quantitatively rigorous thinkers are a tiny minority of the population.
"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |
raptor3x
Padawan Learner

Post by raptor3x »

I have a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering with a physics minor and an M.S. in Aerospace Engineering. I took all of the typical engineering and physics major math courses. Additionally I've taken a few "higher level" math courses, intended for Math grad students, one on Fourier series analysis and another on ODEs. Both were difficult and useless from an engineering perspective. Most of my math training has been in numerical techniques for PDEs (FEM, FVM, etc.) Finally, I had to learn a bit of topology for two different areas of research I've been involved in, but I know just enough to get by.
The best part of being a mad scientist is never having to ask yourself, "Should I really be doing this?"

"Liberals tend to clump together in places where they can avoid reality and diversity of opinion, like big cities, especially in the east and west coast and college towns." --nettadave2006

"Googles methods are a secret black box and some left leaning folks sit on it's board. I've noticed an imbalance when I search certain other topics related to Obama or other hot button topics, especially in the first page or two of results given.."--nettadave2006
raptor3x
Padawan Learner

Post by raptor3x »

Forgot to add that recently I've been doing a lot of work in optimization schemes, both traditional(e.g. steepest descent) and non-traditional (evolutionary algorithms, neural networks, etc.)
The best part of being a mad scientist is never having to ask yourself, "Should I really be doing this?"

"Liberals tend to clump together in places where they can avoid reality and diversity of opinion, like big cities, especially in the east and west coast and college towns." --nettadave2006

"Googles methods are a secret black box and some left leaning folks sit on it's board. I've noticed an imbalance when I search certain other topics related to Obama or other hot button topics, especially in the first page or two of results given.."--nettadave2006