SD.net Seapower (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Beowulf wrote:
brianeyci wrote:
The Guid wrote:Each with probably 90 aircraft if they are fully stocked. This makes us a small air power even if we are an incredible naval power.
Hm, how do you consider 90 x 20 small? That's 1800 aircraft, all modern. Does the United States literally have thousands on thousands of aircraft?
Yes. Counting USAF, USN, USMC and Army aircraft, of all types, the US military has a couple thousand aircraft.
The fact that we'd have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined aboard the sub fleet alone - not to mention the thousands of cruise missile carrying vessels in the fleet means that we aren't just a naval power.

Is it in fact possible to sub in a few Marine LHDs or similar instead of some of the others so we can get a "boots on the ground" capacity?
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a LOT like McHale's Navy. 8)
And that is a very cool and intensely awesome idea there... All we need to do it find some US Navy Admiral to have a case of the ass with us so we can pull hijinks on him. Shouldn't be hard.

Ok, so I'll be driving the frigate SS Mighty Penis. What the hell are you, Havokeff, and Scotty gonna call your boats?
I have finally decided on a name - henceforth my ship shall be known as MFS Robber Baron. I was thinking about Cornelius Vanderbilt, because that name sounds so awesome, but Robber Baron suits me just fine. Let the pillaging of Cuba begin!

It also looks like there will soon be very very few pirates operating off of Somalia, given how many people from around here will be going after them as an "excusable" target, plus they're dumb enough to attack armed Russian landing ships with open boats.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a LOT like McHale's Navy. 8)
Thanks. Now I got visions of skying behind my cruiser while sipping a pina colida in a half pinapple cup! lol
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

weemadando wrote: Is it in fact possible to sub in a few Marine LHDs or similar instead of some of the others so we can get a "boots on the ground" capacity?
I vote that in view of having over 25,000 posts I am allowed to trade my option of a Kirov or Ohio for Mobile Offshore Base, with embarked army airborne regiment and Marine Expeditionary Brigade. I shall use this vessel to conquer the oil wealth of Brunei, seizing its wells for the glorious resupply of the SDN fleet with black gold.

All other SDN naval units are urged to begin unrestricted warfare against all oil tankers and oil loading (but not unloading ) terminals which refuse to surrender. We shall bring the cripple industrial world before us on its knees.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Yeah, but can we still raid coastal cities for booze and babes, Skimmer?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

In Response to requests for Ground Support, People in the 5000+/moderater area area get a third option a Wasp-Class LHD, filled with good SDMC Marines!

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Yeah, but can we still raid coastal cities for booze and babes, Skimmer?
There's always the option of raiding Thailand, which incidentally isn't too far from Brunei. :D

As for myself, I would like a nice battleship, retrofitted with Aegis, rail guns, a nuclear reactor etc. etc. etc.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: As for myself, I would like a nice battleship, retrofitted with Aegis, rail guns, a nuclear reactor etc. etc. etc.
Why have one nuclear reactor when you can replace every boiler one for one with its own reactor? That’s the logic that got USS Enterprise eight of the things.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Is that why they only built one like her?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Uraniun235 wrote:Is that why they only built one like her?
Partly, the main issue was enormous cost overruns, which were in part because of the complicated eight reactor power train. This forced the navy to revert to conventional power and build more units of the Kitty Hawk class. Had so much funding not been diverted to building SSBNs at the time (the Vietnam navy gutting money sink wasn't an issue, yet), the Navy would have been able to afford more nukes, and more surface warships in general. As it was we had a ten year gap in laying down nuclear carriers, until work started on Nimitz with two reactors in 1968.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I've decided to name my proud ship HM Eustachius De Lannoy, after the Dutch admiral who got his valiant ass beaten by some pre-Indian Maharaja, was taken PoW, and promptly took up a position as admiral in said Maharaja's navy. I feel this properly represents the shiftiness of my allegiance :D.

Anyway, I think the crew will be more than happy to visit Free Cuba. But once you've conquered it, can't you guys rename Havanna into New Tortuga? Because that would be awesome.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: As for myself, I would like a nice battleship, retrofitted with Aegis, rail guns, a nuclear reactor etc. etc. etc.
Why have one nuclear reactor when you can replace every boiler one for one with its own reactor? That’s the logic that got USS Enterprise eight of the things.
In that case, 12 reactors for 12 rail guns. Can't have the guns starved of power, can't we? :twisted:
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

My type 22 batch 3 frigate gets named Cradock, after the admiral who had the bad luck to face von Spee at Coronel (which would be the second name on my list).

re Cuba: Free rum ?

And pirate hunting might be also an option in the Caribean or near Singapore.

(which reminds me to have a special mast prepared for the occasional pirate :evil: :wink: )

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Screw the ships, the resource platforms and their technology, plus their stockpiles of munitions and supplies, would be worth enough to make everyone very, very rich. This of course, is providing that the platforms survive the inevitable bloodbath as we all turn on each other.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

SDNS Alec Guinness moving in to position among Mighty Penis Task Force.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Wouldn't there be a legal issue involving owning these vessels? I think the involving governments would not take this lightly and would most likely confiscate the ships\subs and arrest those "owning" them.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Well, if even a tenth of the members with 2.5k-5k posts picked a Virginia class submarine, that'd still be larger than the current production run of Va class subs, so it's pretty safe to say that these ships came out of nowhere.

Of course, that's not going to stop the US government (and quite probably every other country on the face of the Earth) from going apeshit, as basically the entire current generation of US naval technology (and quite a bit of ordinance) has been placed on the open market and/or in the hands of some "colorful" characters.

Can you imagine the Duchess, Elfdart, and Sheppard, all with SSBNs at their disposal?
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I wonder how the Halifax class compares to other frigates, like the Krivak, Perry, La Fayette, Type 23, and Sachsen. I might want to trade up if the Halifax is somehow inferior to one of those.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Why doesn't duchess get an atomic train Image

Elfdart would ram Shep.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I hereby name my Ohio-class ballastic missile submarine the MFS Bitchslap.

Cuba. Fuck yeah!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

So... I'm due an Arleigh Burke eh? I like the idea of an all female crew. :)
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

tim31 wrote:Why doesn't duchess get an atomic train Image

Elfdart would ram Shep.
Elfdart ram Shep? How would you know they won't indulge in the mother of all Naval battles? I will get popcorn and watch it from the bridge of my nice battleship.
Kreia
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote: I might want to trade up if the Halifax is somehow inferior to one of those.
Sachsen is overwhelmingly superior because it has Mk41 VLS for SM-2 and ESSM missiles along with an AESA radar. Theoretically the ship could be fitted to carry Tomahawk cruise missiles as well. The Perry has a heavier but generally obsolete missile armament compared to a Halifax, those other Euro frigates are all only equal or inferior. All of these ships except the Sachsen are primarily oriented towards ASW missions.
'
tim31 wrote:Why doesn't duchess get an atomic train Image
How about an atomic powered armored artillery train on an atomic powered train ferry?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

tim31 wrote:SDNS Alec Guinness moving in to position among Mighty Penis Task Force.
Arrr... So now we've got the Alec Guinness, the Bitchslap, the Mighty Penis, and whatever Hav and Scotty are calling their ships for the People's Republic of FuckYeah Naval Awesomeness Fleet of Badassery.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I hereby name my Ohio-class ballastic missile submarine the MFS Bitchslap.

Cuba. Fuck yeah!
If you're borrowing my idea for the prefix, remember that it's inappropriate to say "the" in front of MFS, as that stands for My Fucking Ship and thus already includes an article.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"