14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by aerius »

The Spartan wrote:I was surprised to see Marcus Jones dropped, again. I had though during most of the show that he'd have a pretty decent shot at making a go of UFC. Now, I'm not so sure he should be fighting. Especially against someone like Mitrione who, for all his faults, can throw some bombs with his fists.
Then again, god knows how many concussion he's had from his football years. He's likely had a ton of ringers from the NFL and after enough of those it doesn't take much to get knocked out.
The Slice/Alexander fight was a snooze-fest. What the fuck was Alexander doing circling for virtually the entire fight. I mean, I know he was trying to avoid a toe to toe slugfest and all but you need to have a strategy beyond move to the right a lot.
It had a few moments of brilliance like the suplex, but yeah, it sucked. How the fuck does Kimbo not know how to cut off a ring? If the opponent is just going to keep circling in one direction on the outside of the ring, you don't fucking follow him on a parallel path, you step where he wants to go so that he has to do something else to avoid you, or better yet, you just move to where you can unload a punch on where he'll be in the next half second.

This is what you do.
Follow the path of the red arrow. All Kimbo needed to do was step diagonally to his front and unload with a left straight or hook to Houston's head. The step puts his feet in the right position to unload a power punch with his left and follow it up with a combo, and it prevents Houston from using a power right which is his knockout punch. Or if Kimbo doesn't want to get into punching range he could follow the same path without closing as much and hit him with a power kick with the right leg. He's moving in the right direction to step into the kick for extra power as well. It's basic footwork, every MMA fighter should know this stuff without having to read Anderson Silva's book on striking.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

aerius wrote:Then again, god knows how many concussion he's had from his football years. He's likely had a ton of ringers from the NFL and after enough of those it doesn't take much to get knocked out.
Yeah, I had forgotten about that. At his age, after a lifetime of football and then starting an MMA career... Yeah, concussion city.
It had a few moments of brilliance like the suplex, but yeah, it sucked.
That was fucking awesome.
*snip description*
I was thinking that during the whole fucking fight, "Oh my god move into his way!"
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

FWIW, quick updates:

Semmy Schilt: King of K-1, bar none. If you care about kickboxing and Japanese MMA, the Dynamite!! New Year's Eve show is coming up, though the only two bouts really confirmed are Minowaman vs. Sokoudjou (a MW vs. a LHW) for the Super Hulk final... and Satoshi Ishii vs. Hidehiko Yoshida. On the other hand, looks like Mousasi will be fighting on that card under K-1 rules. :)

Hendo, Manhoef, and Bobby Lashley to Strikeforce, Denis Kang and Houston Alexander have been cut from the UFC roster, while Rampage will at least return to the UFC for the Rashad Evans fight before doing... who knows what at this point. (I don't hold his acting gigs in Never Surrender and Death Warrior against him, because those were freakin' Hector Echevarria movies.) Jon Jones' management is contesting the DQ, although the fighters themselves accepted the decision (even if Matt Hamill admits that he considers himself 9-2 now)

Clothing brand Hoelzer Reich has now been banned from UFC, WEC, and Strikeforce, for this.

On a better note though, check out BJ Penn's rear naked choke setups.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just in case anyone was wondering how that would end.

Now - get that man to a proper camp, get him skilled up and lets put him in vs Kimbo.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Damn. And I though Brock Lesnar donkey-konging people to a pulp was bad, Pudzianowski takes the donkey-kong technique to the next level.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

There's worse -- Lesnar's victims and Najman could have been Diego Sanchez. :( Have a look at why. For comparison, FightMetric credited Penn with eleven "own goal" strikes to his own head after the fight.

FWIW, as FightMetric counts each individual yank/tug as a takedown attempt... Diego Sanchez went 0-for-27. According to them, the last time someone successfully took BJ Penn to the ground at 155 lb was Takanori Gomi over six years ago.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Here's a great write-up on fight physiology, although self-proclaimed "at best an overview," with regards to MMA.

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Tonight we've got both WEC 45, main-evented by Donald Cerrone vs. Ed Ratcliff... but if Cerrone wins, he gets a likely shot at lightweight champion Jamie Varner, even though Cerrone already lost the interim title to Ben Henderson. Say what? :shock:

Almost everyone made weight for Strikeforce: Evolution, which is also tonight, with Cung Le's return to MMA vs. Scott Smith, plus King Mo at 218.6 versus Mike Whitehead at... 261.6, oh boy. On the other hand, Matt Lindland verus Jacare... and can you say Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis for the welterweight title in January. :D

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Goddamn Aoki, GODDAMN! :shock:

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Aoki demonstrates such high levels of sportmanship. It's just amazing.

And seriously Dream/Sengoku/K-1 - a SEVEN FUCKING HOUR event? COME ON.

Also - Rashad has to beat Silva to get his shot at Rampage. What the fuck is this about. Is that saying that Rampage, for all of his antics and bullshit and leaving the UFC in the lurch with his crap multiple times now is still going to be able to walk back into the game and be a no.1 contender straight away? If so that is total fucking bollocks.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Also - Rashad has to beat Silva to get his shot at Rampage. What the fuck is this about. Is that saying that Rampage, for all of his antics and bullshit and leaving the UFC in the lurch with his crap multiple times now is still going to be able to walk back into the game and be a no.1 contender straight away? If so that is total fucking bollocks.
Hopefully they'll make Rampage fight Shogun again so I can see another completely one-sided beating. Rampage still doesn't check leg kicks so Shogun can go to town on him down low and give him a career ending leg injury. Forrest damn near took his leg out, imagine what Shogun could do to him, Rampage ain't gonna be walking out of the Octagon.

Also, Strikeforce was great, Scott Smith has got to be the luckiest fucker alive. How many times is this now that he's been beaten silly for an entire fight only to win with a miracle KO? Also learned that Cung Le has a pitiful ground game, he had Smith hurt and stuffed against the fence and was practically in side control, and all he could do was throw some weak hammerfists and arm punches. Then there was Melendez vs. Thomson which was just an awesome 5 round war. Started a bit slow but man did it ever get good. Every fight on that card was quality.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Aoki has since apologized for getting "excited" and going on his post-fight mania, but claims that the arm break was due to Hirota's refusal to tap.On the other hand...
I was stopped afterward, but even if I hadn't been, continuing to break it more would have been fine by me.
About the arm-breaking submission...
"Let's name it 'Keichi Sasahara 2010.' Because Sasahara told me to take him out, so I went and did just that, and that's why I figure I should name it after him."

"When Sasahara tells me to go and do something, I do it, and that's how I live my life. If Sasahara tells me to go to Strikeforce and take them out or 'Go and kill that guy,' I'm going to do it. Even if he tells me to go take out Tanigawa, I'd do that too."
That's right, he publically claims that if the FEG event producer told him to slot the FEG executive, he'd be the hitman. :roll: Also, he claims to have finally gotten the Kawajiri fight he'd wanted all along:
I received a challenge from [Kawajiri], and so without telling him to shut the fuck up, I accept the challenge and look forward to our fight.
Also, facepalm at how the whole Satoshi Ishii thing turned out.

On the other hand, Takanori Gomi's back. Penn vs. Gomi II, anyone?

Everyone made weight for Evans vs. Silva except for Paul Daley, who hit 172 but was not allowed by NSAC to make any more weight-cutting attempts due to health concerns; Hazelett (at 168) accepted a catchweight bout, the contracts were amended and Daley is only fined 10% of his purse. Also, as hilariously bad as the injury situation got to the point that even the booker Joe Silva had a MCL injury, the Countdown made me care about the main event.

Best part re: Rampage vs. Shogun II(?)... this is post-104 Shogun. :D

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

So WEC 46 has happened... "I came to fight, he came to grapple" the front-runner for best line of 2010? :lol:

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

So, uh... has anyone been following Strikeforce: Miami?

To get this back on track: Video of the infamous Chael Sonnen take on BJJ:

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Edward Yee wrote:So, uh... has anyone been following Strikeforce: Miami?
Well, I have to say this is the first time I remember being disappointed by a Strikeforce card. Usually the entire card is quality, this time they gave us garbage with the Bobby Lashley and Herschel Walker fights, which had shitty gimme stoppages in favour of the featured fighters. If they're going to do freakshow fights, give us a real freakshow like Canseco vs. Techno Goliath.

Lawlor looks like he's taking lessons from Scott Smith, he was getting beaten senseless by Manhoef and he somehow pulls a miracle KO out of his ass.

Wanderlei Silva in drag Cyborg beats the crap out of another victim, this time it took her 3 rounds but it was still a pretty one sided beating. Coenen had a great chance to get a leglock or heelhook at the end of the fight but she was too busy getting her face punched in to see the opening.

And Captain Cannabis puts on another fight of the night, there's no such thing as a bad Nick Diaz fight. He's pefected his monkey boxing style and after surviving a knockdown from Zaromskis he turned it up and put him away with an endless series of punches.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

So I was watching the pre-lims with my husband just now and wow, Joe Rogan is completely baked, he was higher than high. I'm told that Rogan is a marijuana advocate and well known for being a bit of a pothead, but wow, his reaction & commentary to a bag of ice being dropped in the ring had us both in stitches. My husband says he's never heard Rogan sound so completely stoned. :lol:
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It's my one disappoint in going to UFC 110 that I won't be able to hear Rogan and Goldberg's commentary. I'm intrigued to see how his Australian hook-ups go in terms of supply.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Speaking of weed, I can't wait till UFC 115 in Vancouver, the dope capital of the world. BC is world renowned for its high quality skunk and when Rogan picks up his shipment there he's gonna be stoned out of his gourd.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I suppose at some point we should stop talking about how baked Rogan will get in various cities and actually return to talking about MMA.

FYI - 14 days till I get to be there live. Cannot wait.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I can't wait to see Bisping get his head knocked off again, Wandy better deliver another highlight reel knockout. If Wandy can come through on that I'll be as happy as I was when Anderson Silva knocked the shit out of Leben.

UFC 109 was a bit disappointing, the best fights were Serra vs Trigg and Paulo Thiago vs Swick. The main event was Couture beating up on a punching bag and I have to wonder what the hell happened to Nate's takedown defence. He trains with GSP and he somehow didn't manage to stuff a single takedown in the entire fight, did he somehow forget how to sprawl or something? Chael Sonnen did a good job but it's not like his takedowns were GSP quality, Nate should've been able to stuff at least a couple of them but instead he got taken down with ease and beaten up for 3 rounds. There's no way he's ready for a rematch with Silva.

Then there's Demian Maia thinking he's a striker and seemingly losing his ground game. He got Miller down but he couldn't do a damn thing, he couldn't even pass guard or attempt a single submission. Lucky for him he has some striking skills now or he would've lost the fight for sure.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:UFC 109 was a bit disappointing, the best fights were Serra vs Trigg and Paulo Thiago vs Swick.
Heard the Thiago-Swick fight was awesome, not to mention it makes Thiago 2-for-3 over AKA.
Then there's Demian Maia thinking he's a striker and seemingly losing his ground game. He got Miller down but he couldn't do a damn thing, he couldn't even pass guard or attempt a single submission. Lucky for him he has some striking skills now or he would've lost the fight for sure.
I hear it was ugly as sin, but that he needed it to prove (if only to himself) that he won't die again for staying on his feet. Hopefully the next fight will let him fully bring his jiu-jitsu game back to the fore.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thiago/Swick was fucking brilliant. I am officially on the Paulo Thiago bandwagon (as if I needed anything more than him KOing Koscheck to get me there).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

aerius wrote:... and I have to wonder what the hell happened to Nate's takedown defence. He trains with GSP and he somehow didn't manage to stuff a single takedown in the entire fight, did he somehow forget how to sprawl or something? Chael Sonnen did a good job but it's not like his takedowns were GSP quality, Nate should've been able to stuff at least a couple of them but instead he got taken down with ease and beaten up for 3 rounds. There's no way he's ready for a rematch with Silva.
The way Sonnen slipped Nate's right hands and countered with takedowns was so basic in it's application, I couldn't believe it worked so many times. And his sprawl just looked off Saturday night. Maybe he figured Sonnen would just walk into his fists or fall into an armbar.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've thought that Marquadt's been over-rated for a long time.

I mean let's look at his UFC fights coming into the Silva bout ([url=http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nate-Marquardt-1712]from Sherdog[/url):

Win Dean Lister Decision (Unanimous) UFC - Fight Night 8 1/25/2007 3 5:00
Win Crafton Wallace Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) UFC - The Final Chapter 10/10/2006 2 1:14
Win Joe Doerksen Decision (Unaminous) UFC 58 - USA vs Canada 3/4/2006 3 5:00
Win Ivan Salaverry Decision (Unaminous) UFC - Ultimate Fight Night 8/6/2005 3 5:00

He lost his fight with Silva following the Lister bout. Prior to that he'd been in Pancrase. Since then, he's taken out Jeremy Horn (woo?), had the Leites loss (which he did lose, because the points should have been taken earlier in the fight for punching the back of the head over and over and over IIRC), beat Martin Kampmann who was fighting at middleweight still, then Wilson Gouveia and then decapitated Maia.

I just don't get where this idea that Marquadt is so amazing comes from. He's a solid allrounder, that's for sure, but he's never had a stand out performance against a top tier guy.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

weemadando wrote:I've thought that Marquadt's been over-rated for a long time.
Meh, he's good but seems to fall into the same trap a lot of mid-tier guys do: they tend to get frustrated and semi-confused when the fight goes outside their gameplan. Marquardt was acting like the concept of being taken down by a wrestler as good as Sonnen was alien to him which lead to him spending the better part of 15 minutes on his back. Sadly, the few times he did attack off his back or attempt to sweep, he did fairly well for himself.
Since then, he's taken out Jeremy Horn (woo?),
Hey now, leave Gumby out of this.