Underground/Illegal
14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Pride 32 was a decent show tonight. The first Pride show in the U.S. But, I was a little disappointed with the match making in this event. Almost all the fights were mismatches and that makes for a very predictable night.

The most surprising fight of the night was Nastula vs. Barnett. I figured Barnett would walk right through him, but Nastula dominated the first round and looked to have Barnett in trouble early in the second. Barnett, however, managed an ankle lock to win the fight.

Fedor kicked Coleman's ass as expected. Coleman kept clinching and trying to take him down, but Fedor is just too good. He got armbar'd just as he did in their first fight. After the fight, Coleman, with his face busted up and bloody, disappointed me with his bad judgement in bringing his crying daughters into the ring. They're way too young, they shouldn't have been there like that...

Wanderlei Silva called Chuck Liddell out again. If both Pride and UFC want this fight, I don't understand what the problem is, but something is not being agreed on in the negotiations and nobody will say what it is.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm guessing fight format.

There's enough differences between both Pride and UFC rules and regs to make that a genuine pain in the arse.

And that's without goign into questions like "who's marquee is this fight under?", "who's going to ref it?", "where will it be held?" and so on.

Its a fucking bitch to put two men from different "sports" into the same event.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:And that fight between Serra and Carter on TUF4 was pretty damn good - though I don't really like either of them. But I had hoped that Serra would submit Carter.
Yeah, history almost repeated itself when Carter hit him again with the spinning backfist and almost knocked him out. I would've laughed so hard if Sera got knocked out again with the same move. Carter during the pre-fight training clip, "I even have a forward reverse spinning backfist".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

weemadando wrote:I'm guessing fight format.

There's enough differences between both Pride and UFC rules and regs to make that a genuine pain in the arse.

And that's without goign into questions like "who's marquee is this fight under?", "who's going to ref it?", "where will it be held?" and so on.

Its a fucking bitch to put two men from different "sports" into the same event.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dana White is insisting that the fight be in the UFC. Chuck Liddell has fought three times in Pride, so he's expecting Pride to reciprocate. Pride should send him over.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

If it ever does happen, I hope Chuck is still the UFC Champ.

If Tito beats Chuck in December, then I hope Wanderlei gets to fight him instead. Doubly so because it would be an opportunity for Silva to erase a loss off his record.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I rented a bunch of UFC and Pride DVDs earlier this week, I wanted to see more of Rich Franklin's and Anderson Silva's fights. After careful viewing, it's no surprise that Franklin got his ass kicked, he's nowhere close to Silva in standup skills and is slower too. He's big & strong, but his striking isn't nearly as crisp & accurate as Silva, he doesn't have the variety & angles which make Silva so deadly. Franklin's only real hope for a win was either a lucky hit or a takedown to a ground & pound where he can use his size & strength. Anderson Silva's going to own the middleweight division for quite some time.

Going back to TUF4, whoever wins is going to get murdered. Winner of welterweight gets GSP or Matt Hughes, I'm sorry but Matt Sera or Chris Lytle aren't top tier welterweights. Hughes will slam them senseless and GSP will take'em apart in standup and on the ground. Same thing in middleweight, Mike Swick and David Loiseau could take any of the guys left in TUF4, and Silva could likely drop whoever the winner is inside of a minute. Chris Leben fight all over again.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Silva hasn't had many fights in Pride, but did you happen to see Silva's loss to Ryo Chonan? That was one of the most amazing submissions ever.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bas Rutten - he needs to fight again... Or just tell me where I can order more of his awesome self defense videos.

But back on topic - I can't see things ending well for either of the winners for similar reasons to aerius.

And has ANYONE heard the results of the Ortiz v White boxing match?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Zadius wrote:Silva hasn't had many fights in Pride, but did you happen to see Silva's loss to Ryo Chonan? That was one of the most amazing submissions ever.
I wish I could see it, the local video stores don't have that one on their shelves and I couldn't find it on Youtube. I'll get my hands on it soon enough.
weemadando wrote:And has ANYONE heard the results of the Ortiz v White boxing match?
Supposedly it was a private match with only a few guests who were sworn to secrecy, I haven't heard a thing about the results. But from interviews, Dana White may consider releasing the match on DVD or TV at some date in the future.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

aerius wrote:
Zadius wrote:Silva hasn't had many fights in Pride, but did you happen to see Silva's loss to Ryo Chonan? That was one of the most amazing submissions ever.
I wish I could see it, the local video stores don't have that one on their shelves and I couldn't find it on Youtube. I'll get my hands on it soon enough.
Here's a clip of the submission. Even Bas Rutten was impressed. :lol:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just watching the TUF4 finales. Sell vs Smith was indeed the best finish to a fight in the UFC I've seen.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Headed out to watch UFC 65 at the bar tomorrow. I'm hoping GSP takes the title off Matt Hughes, but Hughes is lucky son of a bitch so chances are he'll somehow pull off a win. Silvia vs. Monson is either going to be one of the quickest matches ever or the most boring fight I can think of. I'm guessing that Silvia will either knock out Monson early or the fight will end up being 2 guys clinching each other for 5 rounds. That will suck.

On the bright side, Brandon Vera steps up against a returning Frank Mir, that should be one hell of a fight.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

GSP is the new welterweight champion of the world! Matt Hughes got nailed in the balls a couple times in the 1st round when he moved into GSP's leg kicks, and other than a couple failed takedown attempts the fight was all GSP. GSP's striking looked even faster & crisper than it did in the BJ Penn fight and he just picked Matt Hughes apart, St-Pierre brought his A game and then some, Hughes didn't. The ending was sweet, Hughes tried to shoot in for a takedown and got nailed with a head kick, and after that it was all over. Hughes went down and got punished with punches and when the elbows started dropping Big John stepped in and stopped the fight.

Monson & Silvia was a snoozefest, other than some nice submission attempts in the 3rd round not much happened.

Satellite feed was down for the entire Mir/Vera fight so I only caught the slo-mo replay. Vera bloodied him up good and finished him with a nice ground & pound, no idea how the rest of the match went.

Every fight ended in a knockout, other than Monson/Silvia it was great UFC event. The fighters were well matched and they put on a great show.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Congrats to GSP! That was a truly impressive victory. I knew he had a good chance, but I never expected that kind of domination. In my mind, this puts him at #2 pound-for-pound in the world.

Sylvia/Monson sucked. Big John even called a time-out to remind them that it was a fucking fight. Monson just couldn't take him down and even when he did there was he was stuck in Sylvia's huge lanky guard.

I hope the rumors are true and Aleksander Emelianenko is in talks to join the UFC. Aleks vs Tim would be a good fight.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Zadius wrote:Congrats to GSP! That was a truly impressive victory. I knew he had a good chance, but I never expected that kind of domination. In my mind, this puts him at #2 pound-for-pound in the world.
I figured GSP would have a fair chance if he put everything together, but I didn't think it would be that one-sided either. Of course Matt Hughes made the mistake of trying to stand up and strike which ain't gonna work, I thought he would've gone for a lot more takedowns than he did.

The way I saw the fight happening was GSP hitting Matt with lots of leg kicks to take away his ability to shoot in for the takedown while keeping him at distance with his punches. Wear him down over a few rounds and then try to get him in the clinch and put the knees into him the way Silva did to Franklin last month.
Sylvia/Monson sucked. Big John even called a time-out to remind them that it was a fucking fight. Monson just couldn't take him down and even when he did there was he was stuck in Sylvia's huge lanky guard.
Yeah, I think Monson could've done a lot better when he had Silvia down. Instead of going for headshots which he kept missing since Tim's so tall, he coulda just pounded away on the ribs and midsection. Silvia was open down low, punish him there and when he goes to cover up, pound on his head.
I hope the rumors are true and Aleksander Emelianenko is in talks to join the UFC. Aleks vs Tim would be a good fight.
Yeah, I've read good things about Aleksander, he's definitely a promising fighter. Give him a bit more experience and I think he could beat Tim.

I also saw the Vera/Mir fight this morning, Vera just killed him with a knee and pounded him senseless when he went down. Vera's a bit small for a heavyweight but he's definitely got solid all-round skills, I'd love to see him give Tim a nice beating.

Man, it must suck to be the TUF4 winners. Travis Lutter is going to get killed by Anderson Silva and I doubt Matt Serra's going to do any better against GSP. The TUF4 winners are literally getting thrown to the lions.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Man, it must suck to be the TUF4 winners. Travis Lutter is going to get killed by Anderson Silva and I doubt Matt Serra's going to do any better against GSP. The TUF4 winners are literally getting thrown to the lions.
Lutter has the unenviable task of trying to take Silva down, and even if he does, Silva has good Jiu-Jitsu too. I predict Lutter gets knocked-out in the first.

Serra won't take GSP down either. If the fight does go down it will be GSP pounding Serra into the canvas. GSP by KO.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Woo! UFN6 or 7 or whatever they hell it's up to tonight. I'm hoping Joe Riggs brings his A game and gets some heavy punches in on Diego Sanchez. Problem is he's so inconsistent, he has flashes of brilliance but rarely puts a full A game fight together. Should be fun.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

The UFC just bought some of the WFA's fighter contracts. I'm hoping they announce something about that tonight. Some fighters they should be acquiring are:

Quinton Jackson - the last guy to defeat Chuck Liddell. I'd give the edge in a rematch to Chuck though.
Heath Herring - former pride heavyweight.
"Lyoto" Machida - Rich Franklin's other loss.
Jason "Mayhem" Miller - shouldn't have ever let this guy go.
Urijah Faber - promising lightweight up-and-comer.

And, it looks like Mirko Crocop has decided to join UFC too! UFC is just taking over. Forget about Anderson Silva, this guy is the best striker in MMA. Tim Sylvia is going to get destroyed. :twisted:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, talk about poaching some great talent. Rampage & Mayhem will really spice things up in their divisions, and if they really got Cro Cop then Timmyboy can kiss his title goodbye. Man, I can't wait to see Sylvia get his head taken off by a left high kick. :twisted:
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Haha, Vera may well take his head off before Crocop gets to him. :lol:

After seeing Crocop murder Wanderlei Silva in September (CC's foot still isn't healed up from that one), I can only imagine what kind of horror he will bestow upon Big Timmy.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Zadius wrote:Haha, Vera may well take his head off before Crocop gets to him. :lol:
If Vera can get Timmy in the clinch then things are really going to start sucking for Sylvia. I remember seeing Vera's first fight in the UFC where he TKO'd his opponent by kneeing him in the body, I think he's won all but one of his UFC fights with knees to the body & head. It would be pretty fun to see him take out Sylvia in the same manner that Wanderlei killed Rampage.

Funny thing now is watching all the Dirty Sanchez fanboys & haters on various MMA boards. Sanchez got a lucky knee in on Riggs and now the fanboys are saying he's going to run over Hughes, Penn, and GSP. Sanchez's striking at best is about the same as Hughes, nowhere close to Penn & GSP level, and the big 3 all have a better takedown and ground game. Diego is good, and he's improved fast, but still nowhere close to the top 3 in terms of overall skill. He could always get lucky but he's still going to lose 9 times out of 10 against against the top 3 guys. Personally I'd say throw him in against Hughes and let the ex-champ ground & pound him like a scrawny little stepchild.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Goddamn YET ANOTHER Koscheck fight. Hopefully I'll get to see him get fucked right up.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You know, just a few minutes into this UFN its easy to see why the UFC is the dominant force - they have turned MMA into a fucking phenomenon...
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

You know, just a few minutes into this UFN its easy to see why the UFC is the dominant force - they have turned MMA into a fucking phenomenon...
A phenomenon of...?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What other MMA group would have had the money and ability to negotiate a deal to get an event held on a military base?

And now - imagine for a moment all the positive publicity that's coming out of this kind of stunt. Impresses the hell out of me.