It's Another SDN Bunker Thread (But Not Just the SDN Bunker)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: It's Another SDN Bunker Thread (But Not Just the SDN Bun

Post by Broomstick »

PainRack wrote:And in an era where you don't have disposable paper(hmm......... anyone knows whether recycled paper might work?), that means cloth. And steam. Modern machines require up to 90 min of errr......... I think its 80 degree Celsius to properly sterilize some bug resistant material, otherwise, normal temp is I think 60. Anyone knows this for certain?
I don't know about the temps, but I do know a bit about paper. A lot depends on what the paper is made of. Most inexpensive paper these days is short-fiber wood pulp which would probably fragment under that treatment. Linen or other cloth-based paper is more durable, being longer-fiber cloth fibers like, yes, linen and also cotton. It's much more durable and might do the job.

Recycling paper is easy - chop it up, blend it into a sort soup, screen out the pulp, press, and dry. You certainly can apply sufficient heat to sterilize the pulp. The problem is everything else in/on the paper like ink, which results in a muddy color unless you get into using a lot of chemicals, possibly falling apart when exposed to moisture or other liquids (paper is basically a sort of felt - some fibers, like wool, "lock" together and thus hold together when wet, some do not). If we don't care about color it's at least theoretically doable to recycle a suitable product for these purposes.

It is somewhat labor intensive. It will require water. We can use hand labor for it if we must, but it's a heck of a lot more pleasant to use powered blenders.
You need a wide supply of drugs to provide palliative care. There's the basic painkillers, so, you need large doses of paracetemol, NSAIDs, stuff to protect you from painkillers side effects, and lastly, morphine. A huge array of opoids.
In real life, more than 5 million people go without adequate pain relief because of their inability to access adequate drugs, including actual drug shortages. Some of them are grossly perverse, such as shortages of morphine in countries neighboring the Golden Triangle.......
I don't know where we'd get the NSAID's (I can't imagine growing sufficient willow bark to manufacture asprin) but we could have a locked hydroponics area in which to grow opium poppies. It would be a little on the crude side, but raw opium sure beats nothing.

We could probably grow some additional medicinal herbs, but yeah, we'll need some hefty stockpiles of other items.
To put it simply, without a logistic base, you can't really provide effective palliative care for a lot of people. We might be able to stockpile and do it if we don't have a large patient load, but that really depends on what the disaster inflicts on us and whether said injuries/care is a long term or short term issue.
Granted, this is probably me bringing in real life biases into a thread but the logistic issues for palliative care is one of the main obstacles in real life, that along with trained personnel.
No problem, it makes for an interesting discussion. And that's a problem for all disasters, isn't it? You don't know what's coming, and you'll almost certainly run short of some things and not have enough of others.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice