SDN Weight Watchers, Thread the Second

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

I'm not sure if this really counts, but I've decided to cut weight for wrestling the healthy way this year. I've already started dieting slowly. I'm at about 136, hoping to reach 125 through steady dieting in about 6-8 weeks.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Checking my weight at the gym, I'm 193.5 pounds. In the coming months it'll be in muscle weight than fat.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Well I made it to forty pounds lost today, ten more and I'll be at my goal.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I didn't gain any weight over the past two weeks but, I didn't lose any either. I guess I can put that in the win column.
Get some
Elmca
Youngling

Post by Elmca »

If there's still room on this bandwagon, I'm going to squeeze on.

I graduated high school in 1987 at 5 foot 9 inches (1.7 m) and 165 pounds (74.8 kg). Twenty years later, in a fairly sedentary job, with a horrible diet and a jam-packed schedule, I hit 270 pounds (122 kg). I've managed to lose about 12 pounds since then, but I've hit a bit of a plateau. I'm hoping that joining all of you will help get me jump-started again.

I wake up, have a glass of water and some small fruit (usually a banana), walk 2 miles, eat a good-sized breakfast with plenty of protein, small snack around 10:30, decent lunch around noon, another small snack at 2:30 and then a small dinner at 5:00 or so. Once in a while I'll have a Weight Watchers (or similar) ice cream bar before bed.

I turn 40 years old in June of 2009. I'd really like to be back down to around my high school weight by Christmas of 2008 and then take six months to really get back into fighting shape. I'm hoping to be able to hike the 101 mile section of the Appalachian Trail that passes through Shenandoah Nat'l Forest by my 40th birthday. That's a rough hike, so I've got to be ready for it.

Well, that's a long enough opening post. I plan to update every Monday.

Good luck to you all and thanks for having me!
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I have to say, I'm pretty fucking impressed with some of the weight losses I've seen here. The Kendalls seem to be swimming along, and they're not alone. My wife is on WW, and has lost almost 50 pounds in total.

As an aside, Cpl Kendall's goal weight of 140 (at 5'8"), while sounding a little lower than necessary, can't be all that unhealthy, as some have suggested. When I was much younger I was 6'1" and 145 lbs, and while I definitely wanted to put on a few pounds, I was by no means unhealthy. It's in the lower end of "normal" on the BMI (21.3) -- not even into the "underweight" category.

I'm not sure where the notion that this height/weight combination is unhealthy comes from.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

SCRawl wrote:I have to say, I'm pretty fucking impressed with some of the weight losses I've seen here. The Kendalls seem to be swimming along, and they're not alone. My wife is on WW, and has lost almost 50 pounds in total.

As an aside, Cpl Kendall's goal weight of 140 (at 5'8"), while sounding a little lower than necessary, can't be all that unhealthy, as some have suggested. When I was much younger I was 6'1" and 145 lbs, and while I definitely wanted to put on a few pounds, I was by no means unhealthy. It's in the lower end of "normal" on the BMI (21.3) -- not even into the "underweight" category.

I'm not sure where the notion that this height/weight combination is unhealthy comes from.
Thanks! I'm quite proud of what we have all done. It's really hard losing weight, but we're all doing it.

As for his goal.. I dunno. He looks good now and it's hard to say when he loses the next ten if he'll look and feel right. I think it's just a guess as to where he thinks he wants to be. It all depends on how he feels about what he looks like when he gets there right. But of course if he's not happy, he'll keep going until he is (within reason of course). It's all about how you see yourself right.
I know he was thin when I met him and he certainly was not unhealthy, but I would like to see a little more meat on him :lol:. That was 8 years ago, afterall. But that's just me.
I love him the way he is, always have, I just want to see him happy.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Just thought I'd check in. Nothing new to really report. I've gone down to 228 but that's close enough to 230 that I'm not going to change the banner. I can be back at 230 after drinking a bottle of water and eating lunch at that weight. :wink:

The good news is that I'm still on track. The bad news is that I've entered the last leg, which seems to always be the hardest part. The "Last 10 Pounds" as it were. That's where things start to slow down and it takes some mental effort to not get frustrated. (which I'm more than capable of maintaining) but it's also getting into the colder months and the holidays which means weather that zaps the desire to exercise and decreases stamina plus heaps of food everywhere some fairly healthy, some fairly unhealthy but almost all delicious.

Time to man up and knuckle down. May His Noodly appendages give me strength.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I've a small problem. Thanks to a sickness, I just dropped 3kg in 5 days, in a very unhealthy way. I don't want to regain all that weight back, as i'm at a nice 70kg(150), but not sure where to go now. Any advice for keeping the weight steady and maybe bulking up abit without working out at gyms?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Ace Pace wrote:I've a small problem. Thanks to a sickness, I just dropped 3kg in 5 days, in a very unhealthy way. I don't want to regain all that weight back, as i'm at a nice 70kg(150), but not sure where to go now. Any advice for keeping the weight steady and maybe bulking up abit without working out at gyms?
I doubt that I can help with your problem, but it sounds as though you might just have lost some water weight. It might come back all on its own, whether or not you like it.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Ace Pace wrote:I've a small problem. Thanks to a sickness, I just dropped 3kg in 5 days, in a very unhealthy way. I don't want to regain all that weight back, as i'm at a nice 70kg(150), but not sure where to go now. Any advice for keeping the weight steady and maybe bulking up abit without working out at gyms?
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you've either pooped it all out or barfed it out, likely both. Which is to say that weight is most likely coming back.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

New here.

I just can't seem to make myself CARE. I'm 25, 6'1, and 265 lbs. If I bother eating healthy, I'll drop 8 pounds in a week. I just can't seem to get my atitude to change. Anyone here with a similar problem that would care to share what 'works' for them?

I'm all by myself. I don't have family to get healthy for, or a girlfriend, and I like the way a bacon-cheeseburger tastes.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:New here.

I just can't seem to make myself CARE. I'm 25, 6'1, and 265 lbs. If I bother eating healthy, I'll drop 8 pounds in a week. I just can't seem to get my atitude to change. Anyone here with a similar problem that would care to share what 'works' for them?

I'm all by myself. I don't have family to get healthy for, or a girlfriend, and I like the way a bacon-cheeseburger tastes.
Drop soda, really, I'm a lard ass and lost near 30 pounds doing nothing in 6 months.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Master of Cards wrote:

Drop soda, really, I'm a lard ass and lost near 30 pounds doing nothing in 6 months.
At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you replace it with something that's not so calorie dense. For instance, I met someone who said he replaced soda with beer ( :roll: ) and he put on weight so what's the point. Yes he's an idiot.

Try weaning yourself onto water or low calorie fruit beverages (Crystal Light for instance) or tea sweetened with a low calorie sweetener like Splenda.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

The Spartan wrote:Try weaning yourself onto water or low calorie fruit beverages (Crystal Light for instance) or tea sweetened with a low calorie sweetener like Splenda.
Wow, 10 calories and 0g of sugar for a 480mL bottle.

That's much better than Vitamin Water that I am drinking now which has 125 calories and 30.5g of crystalline fructose in a ~600mL bottle. Having just googled what crystalline fructose is, it is a more powerful version of HFCS. So although there's less amount of sugar in grams than an equivalent bottle of say, Coca-Cola containing HFCS, it might as well be the same.

Thus, I am officially not buying Vitamin Water anymore or at least in the quantities I usually buy.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Soontir C'boath

My previous weight was 195 lb but after working out at the gym for awhile, I went down to 193 lb. I wonder how much muscle mass I gained compared to fat loss.
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

That's similar to how I used to feel. Losing weight was sort of in the back of my mind, and I thought about it very occasionally, but junkfood just tasted so damned goooooood. If I could keep eating all this awesome tasting food, it was worth the excess fat.

Then I just sort of stopped eating chips and other snackables because I didn't have the time anymore, and I cut supper for the most part because all the food in the fridge kept getting eaten by certain other people before I had a chance to eat it, and I didn't want to spend money eating out every night.

So, completely unintentionally, I dropped a lot of fat. I only went from 240 lbs down to 225 lbs, but much of the lost fat was replaced by muscle, because I work a rather physical job.

And let me tell you, once you and other people start noticing a difference, it is just the most awesome feeling in the world. You feel better, you're happier and more confident, chicks notice you more, etc... It's just great. Your body gets used to it too. Not only do the cravings stop, but junkfood starts to disgust you. I tried eating chips a few weeks ago, and after about an eighth of the bag, I started feeling sick, so I disposed of them.

I realize that isn't exactly a clear cut method, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Anyway, as a result, I want to lose the rest of the excess fat, so I'm officially joining this thread.

As of now, I'm 5' 11" at 225 lbs. That sounds like a lot, I guess, but I'm a fairly big boned guy, so it's not that bad. My optimal weight would be around 200 lbs, maybe 205 lbs.

I'm sort of new to intentionally dieting, so don't laugh at me if this is completely retarded:

My current diet plan is a muffin and chocolate milk in the morning and two shish-taouk sandwhiches with a side plate of those garlic potatoes for lunch and no supper. On Saturdays, I'll treat myself a bit with two cheeseburgers and a fry for lunch.

I think my bi/tri-weekly habit of downing two 12" Subway BMTs for supper is what was keeping my weight up, so I'm going to stop that, as damned hard as it's going to be. :P Also, I want to completely cut soda. I haven't been drinking nearly as much of it as I used to, but I still drink an average of two or three cans of coke a day.

I figure that gives me grain, meat, fruits, vegetables and dairy, which covers all the food groups, while not being particularly fatty, overly caloric, or overly processed.

Criticisms? I'm told Middle Eastern food is generally pretty healthy, but the garlic potatoes are pretty greasy and remind me of french fries. Maybe I should cut them? As well as the Saturday cheat? I'm also thinking of replacing the muffin with a 2-pack of those Oatmeal "Dad's Cookies". The muffin is one of those oversized depanneur bought ones, and seems rather greasy and overly processed.

I don't really have an exercise plan or anything, but my work is physically demanding, with a lot of schlepping involved, so I figure that'll suffice for the time being. Although, maybe I should start some cardio, because my stamina is terrible. I'm somewhat winded after running about a block. Although, far better than a year ago, when running half a block would leave me gasping desperately for sweet, sweet oxygen. Maybe I should start jogging?

Mainly though, I want to lose the double chin, and the minor fat deposits under the arms, love handles, etc. I have a slight layer of fat on my belly that I want to lose as well. My current pant size is 38-40, and I'd like to bring that down to 36.

Any advice would be mucho appreciated.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I went for a run this morning and weighed myself when I got back after I had discarded my sweat soaked clothing.

The scale read two hundred and twenty THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To celebrate I've updated my counter, though I only put 225 on there since I can put that 2 pounds back on by having a big glass of water and eating breakfast.

Nonetheless, I fucking rock.

Oh, observer, you might want to take a peek at the old weight loss thread (it got de-stickied and should be somewhere down the forum list). There were quite a bit of posts with good advice.

That said, it's great that you're cutting out soda, that's a big calorie bomb. Though you shouldn't try to skip meals like what you're planning. Instead, learn what a portion size is and then use that to gauge what you're eating throughout the day and try to spread those portions throughout the day. That's what really helped me, measuring everything so that I wasn't getting a case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach so to speak. And it would be a good idea to do some cardio even with a physically demanding job. Jobs that are hard don't necessarily get your heart rate up and that's very much key to getting your weight down.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, the reason I'm so amped about my weight is that I haven't been that light since I was a sophomore in high school. So it's a fairly big milestone for me.
Soy un perdedor.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Post Holidays Update: I weighed myself last night after I worked out and topped the scale at 225.

Not a bad result after overeating a bit during my break and being a lazy ass for two weeks.
Soy un perdedor.
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

Down to 210 lbs. I've replaced the oatmeal cookies with clemintines which I'll eat a few of in the evening as well.

Still have to get on working out a cardio routine though. And avoiding soda at all costs. I'm drinking a lot less of it, but it seems to keep creeping back up on me. I've also completely cut candy bars and other snacks that I used to have a bad habit of buying whenever I happened to be in a depanneur.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I'm 15 and 5'10 and 190 pounds. This is seriously not healthy and I really need to get my act together with this eating thing.
Get some
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I am wiped. I had a really good workout yesterday but I'm fatigued this morning.

I did 30 pushups with a 20 kilo plate on my back
15 dumbell rows (per arm) with 50 lbs.
15 Military Presses with 110 lbs.
20 Upright Rows with 45 lbs.
30 crunches/20 leg levers/40 flutter kicks.
2nd set(all with same weight: 20 pushups
12 dumbell rows
12 military presses
15 upright rows

Then I did interval runs over 2 miles with a third mile of straight running.

Oh, and then after dinner I did another 50 pushups without the plate on my back.

And I did much the same thing on Tuesday(minus the extra 50 pushups) and will repeat this tomorrow morning. Saturday I intend to join a gym again and then my workouts will really be great. I'll be able to lat pull again, plus I'll be able to mix up my other exercises (row instead of dumbell row, incline instead of pushups, etc.) and pump up my cardio too.
Soy un perdedor.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

After a holiday lapse I'm being healthy again. Cutting fast-food and junk food certainly helps, and planning healthy meals ahead of time is a big boost to my ability to control cravings.

If I know I have meals ready, I'm less likely to get fast food.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Hi there all!

After my first daughter was born, I decided that she didn't need a father who weighed almost 290 lbs. I've been on weight watchers for a few months now, and have lost about 7 lbs and joined a gym, but the fight continues.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Return of the Dieter :) .

After a year and a half of not dieting and not exercising (Due to being in the middle of the desert), I've decided to get into shape before I become fat (Not just pudgy as I am now).

I'm 19 years old, about a meter 1.75 and weigh 78KG.

I don't have a diet yet, but for now I've decided to start with an aerobic work-out 3-4 times a week (Probably in-door cycling/"spinning" for now due to a free pass and the hopes for social interaction), and the gym 1-2 times a week. (I need to remember how to do the exercises first, before I can work-out alone).

Just thought I'd post this as a landmark post :) .
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.