MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Enigma »

Co-Worker: Is this hot? (dabs a bit of hot glue on top of my wrist.)
Me: (Quickly shaking my wrist to rapidly cool down the glue. Wasn't too painful, just startled from the heat.) Uhh. Kinda, yeah.
<a couple of minutes later>
Co-Worker: How about now? (does it again but this time it was a large blob of glue, the size of a nickel.)
Me: (Jumping around, letting out a long string of expletives) What the hell?

I wasn't pissed off at her because I was expecting her to try something like that and silly me, I wasn't too worried about the pain. I realized that my co-worker doesn't fully understand how hot the glue gets (340F), whereas I did know. We both showed poor judgement and I ended up paying for it with three second degree burns. My co-worker was really sorry and offered to put glue on her arm to be even. Needless to say, I quickly shot that suggestion down and told her to forget about it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Enigma wrote:Co-Worker: Is this hot? (dabs a bit of hot glue on top of my wrist.)
Me: (Quickly shaking my wrist to rapidly cool down the glue. Wasn't too painful, just startled from the heat.) Uhh. Kinda, yeah.
<a couple of minutes later>
Co-Worker: How about now? (does it again but this time it was a large blob of glue, the size of a nickel.)
Me: (Jumping around, letting out a long string of expletives) What the hell?

I wasn't pissed off at her because I was expecting her to try something like that and silly me, I wasn't too worried about the pain. I realized that my co-worker doesn't fully understand how hot the glue gets (340F), whereas I did know. We both showed poor judgement and I ended up paying for it with three second degree burns. My co-worker was really sorry and offered to put glue on her arm to be even. Needless to say, I quickly shot that suggestion down and told her to forget about it.
Why?!
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Because they have poor judgment and subconsciously expect others to feel that "eye for an eye" punishment is appropriate and forgives all things?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Simon_Jester wrote:Because they have poor judgment and subconsciously expect others to feel that "eye for an eye" punishment is appropriate and forgives all things?
That sounds about right. I mean, who in the actual fuck puts hot glue on people just to see how hot it is?

Oy, vey...
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Zeropoint wrote:God forbid someone should like something.

That is probably not it. In all probability, he is single because he cannot be arsed to go out and find a mate. That is pretty much why I am single as well. It does not even require being on the asexual spectrum to just find insects FAR more interesting than people.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I had a female friend in high school who wanted to be an arachnologist when she grew up. Her parents were both college-level science teachers (biology and chemistry), and they let her keep venomous tarantulas as her pets. She'd let them crawl all over her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REALLY DRUNK STRAIGHT GIRL: Oh look, my boob totally just fell out of my top!

YOUR DRIVER: That's a terrible tragedy.

REALLY DRUNK GAY DUDE: She just wants to show everybody her new tits. She just got them.

REALLY DRUNK STRAIGHT GIRL: Why not? I paid good money for them.

YOUR DRIVER: Looks like a sound investment.

REALLY DRUNK GAY DUDE: Hey, if she gave you a blowjob, would this ride be free?

REALLY DRUNK STRAIGHT GIRL: Just because I want to show the cab driver my boobs does not mean that I want to suck his cock! What's this ride going to be, seven dollars? You do not get to pimp me out for seven dollars.

REALLY DRUNK GAY DUDE: Okay, but theoretically?

YOUR DRIVER: I'd call that more barter system than free...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I guess people tell their cab driver things they'd never tell their bartender.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've been with enough drunk people in my time to know what once people are drunk enough they'll say pretty much anything that comes to their mind and might even sometimes make sense.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Lord Revan wrote:I've been with enough drunk people in my time to know what once people are drunk enough they'll say pretty much anything that comes to their mind and might even sometimes make sense.
Ahh, drunk people. The cornerstone of my trade. If nobody barfs in the car or takes a swing at me, I call it a good ride.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Because they have poor judgment and subconsciously expect others to feel that "eye for an eye" punishment is appropriate and forgives all things?
That sounds about right. I mean, who in the actual fuck puts hot glue on people just to see how hot it is?

Oy, vey...
She did not realize or understood how hot the glue was. She did not expect that it would hurt that much. She took my tame reaction to the first attempt as "Hot but not that hot." so she tried again with a larger sample. Suffice to say it really hurt and she was genuinely sorry.

I did not try nor wanted to get even with her even though she did want to pour glue on her own arm as a self payback. I kept telling her to forget it as she'd probably end up crying and end up going home early and possibly getting fired over it.

We both showed poor judgement but I should've known better as she's basically a kid (20).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Enigma wrote:We both showed poor judgement but I should've known better as she's basically a kid (20).
A couple of jobs ago, the guy who ran the CNC laser cutter told me about a similar exchange, only it was the other way around. Something like this:

CNC Laser operator: Here's the first part, hot off the press [holding it in tongs, because it literally was just cut from 3/8" steel plate using a frickin' laser)

Foreman: Great, let me have it.

CNCLO: It's too hot, it will burn you.

F: Don't worry about it, give it to me.

CNCLO: I'm telling you, it will burn your hand.

F: Give it to me now.

CNCLO: [Shrugs, drops it into the guy's hand]

F: [Flings away the part in pain] That fucking burned me! You're fired!

I'm told that this was rescinded as soon as the laser operator went to the big boss and explained the situation. I didn't know the foreman, but I definitely knew the big boss, and I can totally believe this happening. I can also believe the big boss firing a guy, thinking better of it, and hiring him back with a raise a short time later. It was that kind of place.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

YOUR DRIVER: Right here?

CUTE REDHEAD: Yeah, this is the place. Thank you very much! Have a good night.

YOUR DRIVER: Uh. This isn't Uber. You got into a real taxi. I need you to pay me.

CUTE REDHEAD: Oh, shit! I'm so sorry. I'm such a cocksucker.

YOUR DRIVER: That's a very interesting way to put it.

CUTE REDHEAD: [laughs] Metaphor.

YOUR DRIVER: Got it.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A coworker, specifically the lady who does the custom cake decoration in the bakery, didn't come in or call off for two days. This lady is normally very reliable, and has been with the store since it opened. Some employers wouldn't give a damn anyway and would simply terminate her.

My employer - more specifically, the store director in charge - called the local cops for a welfare check on the lady.

It seems that a couple to several days ago she sat down in her favorite chair with a book. The book is still being held by her hands, but she herself has departed her body.

Very sad, she was a nice lady. Also, my own age. No idea what happened, and while she does have family she lived alone so the cops were/are tracking down her children and relatives to notify them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I have a hard time thinking of a better way to go.
Read In Peace.
Jorge Luis Borges wrote:I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:A coworker, specifically the lady who does the custom cake decoration in the bakery, didn't come in or call off for two days. This lady is normally very reliable, and has been with the store since it opened. Some employers wouldn't give a damn anyway and would simply terminate her.

My employer - more specifically, the store director in charge - called the local cops for a welfare check on the lady.

It seems that a couple to several days ago she sat down in her favorite chair with a book. The book is still being held by her hands, but she herself has departed her body.

Very sad, she was a nice lady. Also, my own age. No idea what happened, and while she does have family she lived alone so the cops were/are tracking down her children and relatives to notify them.
That is very sad. At least people cared about her, I guess. I've always enjoyed decorating cakes. I was the go-to guy for my whole family on that when I lived at home.
Zeropoint wrote:I have a hard time thinking of a better way to go.
I'll just say that (while I am a fan of Borges), you and I have very different imaginations, amigo. If it exists and I pass the requirements of entry, I will walk into the Paradise Library burned to a crisp, or dripping wet and gasping for breath. ;)

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:A coworker, specifically the lady who does the custom cake decoration in the bakery, didn't come in or call off for two days. This lady is normally very reliable, and has been with the store since it opened. Some employers wouldn't give a damn anyway and would simply terminate her.

Sorry to hear that, Broom. Worse still, that the poor lady didn't have anyone. Damn good of your store director to care enough to call the law for help.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's not that she didn't have anyone, but that her children were all grown and off living their own lives which, in a way, is as it should be. She lived alone, but she had friends and family.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:It's not that she didn't have anyone, but that her children were all grown and off living their own lives which, in a way, is as it should be. She lived alone, but she had friends and family.
I miserad that, then. My apologies.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I'll just say that (while I am a fan of Borges), you and I have very different imaginations, amigo. If it exists and I pass the requirements of entry, I will walk into the Paradise Library burned to a crisp, or dripping wet and gasping for breath.
I figure I'll die with my boots off. Most people don't get the chance to die a hero, and I don't partake of the kind of activities likely to give me an interesting death. In fact, I generally try to AVOID things that seem likely to kill me.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zeropoint wrote:
I'll just say that (while I am a fan of Borges), you and I have very different imaginations, amigo. If it exists and I pass the requirements of entry, I will walk into the Paradise Library burned to a crisp, or dripping wet and gasping for breath.
I figure I'll die with my boots off. Most people don't get the chance to die a hero, and I don't partake of the kind of activities likely to give me an interesting death. In fact, I generally try to AVOID things that seem likely to kill me.
Not with that attitude, mister. :P
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zeropoint wrote:I figure I'll die with my boots off. Most people don't get the chance to die a hero, and I don't partake of the kind of activities likely to give me an interesting death. In fact, I generally try to AVOID things that seem likely to kill me.
Not to put put to put too fine of a point on it, but have you considered that this may be the key difference between you and I that you started a thread about? ;)

Everybody is the hero of their own story, and when it's over, it's over. That's all you get. Ride it like a bucking bronco for all it's worth, or die with regrets.

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I don't feel like the hero of my story. I have LONG felt that I'm a minor character . . . at best the kind listed as "Technician #3" in the credits. Probably not even a speaking part.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zeropoint wrote:I don't feel like the hero of my story. I have LONG felt that I'm a minor character . . . at best the kind listed as "Technician #3" in the credits. Probably not even a speaking part.
Dude, even Child A got to be the hero of her own story. Four of them, in fact.

Simon put it best: Depression lies. Stop listening to the lies, and be the hero. You won't always win, or get the girl, neither do most heroes. But, they all do, at least, fucking try.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zeropoint wrote:I don't feel like the hero of my story. I have LONG felt that I'm a minor character . . . at best the kind listed as "Technician #3" in the credits. Probably not even a speaking part.
Well, change that, or collapse and die right now and stop wasting oxygen and things that the rest of us can use. You are either the star of your own show, or terminally depressed and useless, or at least a memorable supporting character. If you can't be Luke Skywalker, be Wedge Antilles. Be useful, at least to yourself. DO something. Now or never.

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Well, change that, or collapse and die right now and stop wasting oxygen and things that the rest of us can use.
That's been on my mind a lot lately. It would be easy enough to accomplish.