14%

Total votes: 7

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That is a damn good match.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

As the thread isn't more than two days old since...

Post by Edward Yee »

I think that part of the reason that PRIDE has had a 'pro wrestling-like' atmosphere in Japan is due to the development of said pro wrestling (puroresu) there, and there being crossovers to an apparently greater extent than in the US (see the alumni of the UWF/UWFI, New Japan Pro Wrestling in 2002-2004... and HUSTLE :P).

Speaking of which... who's seen Frye vs. Takayama? :twisted:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

who's seen Frye vs. Takayama
Most people love this fight, but I tend to like fights that have a little more strategy, or more specifically, defense. :lol:
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Ehhh... heard that Takayama got the fight on a week's notice (due to injury forcing out Frye's scheduled opponent), maybe he decided that "since I can't win with only a week's notice, striking furiously to show Japanese fighting spirit = fame"?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Pride Final Conflict Absolute is tomorrow, here's the card:

Open-Weight Tournament:
Mirko Filipovic vs. Wanderlei Silva
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett

Reserve Match:
Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Super Fights:
Lee Tae-Hyun vs. Ricardo Morais
Yoshihiro Nakao vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
Yosuke Nishijima vs. Evangelista Santos
Mauricio Rua vs. Cyrille Diabate
Ricardo Arona vs. Alistair Overeem
Ricardo Morais vs. Lee Tae-Hyun

I predict that Mirko will defeat Wanderlei. If he can stay on his feet and not be flustered by Wanderlei's aggressiveness, I see him taking a decision victory. I think it will be a stand-up war, and Mirko is the better striker of the two.

For the other semi-final fight, it's a hard call for me. I'll take Nogueira based on his experience, but it could really go either way. Both Nog and Barnett are submission grapplers so it will be harder to submit each other, especially since it's only a 2 round fight. If that happens, Barnett could take a decision because he's the bigger guy and will probably be on top most of the fight. But, I predict Nogueira pulling a submission from his guard in round 2.

In the finals, I have Mirko vs. Nogueira. I think Cro-cop will avenge his loss and win the tourney. He lost the last fight after absolutely dominating Nogueira by out-striking him and stuffing his take-downs, but got caught in a submission. I think this fight will be just like the last, but without the submission. Mirko Filipovic by decision.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

The event is all over. :cry: But, it was a good one. Crocop/Silva fight was absolutely shocking!!
Last edited by Zadius on 2006-09-10 06:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thats a nice kick.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Shonie Carter looks like the only guy who's having fun on Ultimate Fighter 4, the guy's a total clown and a weirdo but he's laughing it up on every episode. The guy's a complete goof but I have to say he's a pretty good artist and he's living it up and having a blast.

Best moment, Shonie floating on a bag filled with plastic bottles and going "I've defied the mystical stereotype that black people can't swim. I can swim" :lol:
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:Shonie Carter looks like the only guy who's having fun on Ultimate Fighter 4, the guy's a total clown and a weirdo but he's laughing it up on every episode. The guy's a complete goof but I have to say he's a pretty good artist and he's living it up and having a blast.

Best moment, Shonie floating on a bag filled with plastic bottles and going "I've defied the mystical stereotype that black people can't swim. I can swim" :lol:
He is fucking hilarious. And how stupid was the fuck-head that jumped the fucking wall?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:And how stupid was the fuck-head that jumped the fucking wall?
Seriously, he just blew the biggest opportunity of his life for a booty call with some lifeguard. Even if he doesn't win TUF4, Dana White will still find a way to work him into the shows and get him paid, he's done that with guys from previous TUF seasons and chances are he'll do it again. But now he's pissed off the boss and he's done, and has to go back to living in his car and working at a gas station. What a fool.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Don't know much about MMA, more of a boxing guy, but certain things remain constant. If said lifeguard-banging fuckhead can really fight, then this show won't matter except as an odd footnote to a successful career. If he can't really fight, well then he needs to get a real job, one way or another.

Like when they had that show "The Contender". Huge boxing fan, but I didn't give a shit. If any of those guys were good, I'd have heard about them already. And if any of them turn out to be good in the future, I'll hear of them then. In the meantime I don't care about their personal lives or how they get along with each other.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fuck Shamrock v Ortiz. This is the fight I want to see:
Boston Herald wrote: ...Oh, and there’s the matter of getting into shape. You see, White is scheduled to fight Tito Ortiz ... you know, the former light heavyweight champion.
It seems White and Ortiz used to feud before White convinced Ortiz to come back to the UFC. Ortiz, however, insisted on one stipulation in his contract -- that at some point he would be able to fight White.
White, a former boxer, agreed to a boxing match, not a mixed martial arts bout (“He’d kill me,” he said). The bout will consist of three, three-minute rounds, and he’s currently in the process of getting into shape for it.
That's right.

Dana White vs Tito Ortiz. Fuck yes. Only boxing, but it should be impressive.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Damn that's gonna be cool. :shock:
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hughes v Penn?

Anyone catch UFC63? Commentary on it please...
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

It was an awesome fight!

BJ just has awesome take-down defense due to his balance and flexibility. He can sprawl with one leg while doing the splits and he showed it twice in the fight. Hughes was looking like he had no options in the first round as he couldn't out-strike Penn nor take him down.

Round two was fucking awesome. Hughes finally got BJ down, but BJ is so insanely flexible, there was no way Matt could pass the guard. Penn even tried an Omoplata submission. The fight got really interesting when BJ somehow slipped out from under Hughes and took his back. He was too high up on Matt's back to really get a choke going, but as Hughes was about to escape, Penn wrapped his legs around Matt's neck for a triangle choke! Hughes was in huge trouble, but defended well. His head was about to pull out of the triangle just as the bell rang.

Something was seriously wrong with Penn in round three. It looked like fatigue, but Penn later claimed a rib injury. BJ started to get picked apart, and Hughes got him down took side control and pinned both of BJ's arms down so that he couldn't defend the subsequent blows. The ref had to step in as BJ was getting his face beat in.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Today is the big day, I can't wait to see Ken Shamrock get the shit beat out of him again. I hope the ref lets Tito Ortiz really fuck him up this time, I want to Shamrock to be permanently retired so I never have to see him in the UFC again.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Just as Shamrock is getting crushed, Stone Cold Steve Austin will come running up and try to jump into the ring to rescue him, like in every single fake-wrestling match. Then Stone Cold will get his ass beat as well. :lol:

Shamrock lost any respect he might have gotten from me with his wrestling stint. That's just not something a professional fighter should do.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I fucking HATE Shamrock. I just can't believe what an unbelievable arsehole he's become.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Fuck yeah! Tito Ortiz kicks Shamrock's sorry ass again! And he breaks out the trademark T-shirt.

edit: And Ken Shamrock officially retires.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Good. Now I can't wait to see Tito get his ass kicked by Chuck.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Correction - you can't wait to see Tito get his arse kicked by DANA WHITE.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Holy shit, Rich Franklin got murdered. Fight was pretty even until Anderson Silva got Franklin into the Thai clinch and started laying the knees into him. Rich just couldn't get out of the clinch and took a bunch of knees to the body & head, and the ending was pretty much like the Chris Leban fight. I don't know if it was just me, but Rich looked a little slow tonight, or maybe it's Anderson's speed, hard to say since I haven't seen many of Rich's fights.

Sean Sherk & Kenny Florian was pretty much 5 rounds of Florian getting taken down and pounded by Sherk. Kenny got a couple elbows in and opened up a nice cut during the 2nd round, and got some body kicks in when they were on their feet, but not much else happened except a brief flurry at the end of the 3rd round.

TV reception at the bar went out during the Spencer Fisher fight so I have no idea what happened, Spencer won and that's all I saw.

The other fights were snooze fests and I don't really remember them.

Next up, UFC 65, rematch of Matt Hughes & GSP. All my friends are saying GSP's going to take but I have my money on Matt Hughes. Matt is a tough motherfucker and he survives and fights his way through shit that will finish anyone else. GSP will have to get a clean knockout on him to win and I don't see that happening outside of a lucky hit.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

That's about the best execution of the Thai clinch I've seen outside of Thailand. Whoever wins TUF 4 at middleweight is going to get murdered.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

aerius wrote:...I don't know if it was just me, but Rich looked a little slow tonight, or maybe it's Anderson's speed, hard to say since I haven't seen many of Rich's fights.
I think so as well. I've seen all of Franklin's UFC fights and this was one of the most lackluster performances in comparison to his previous fights.
Sean Sherk & Kenny Florian was pretty much 5 rounds of Florian getting taken down and pounded by Sherk. Kenny got a couple elbows in and opened up a nice cut during the 2nd round, and got some body kicks in when they were on their feet, but not much else happened except a brief flurry at the end of the 3rd round.
Props to Kenny Florian. I seriously thought Sherk was going to mow him down quick, but Ken-Flo can take a shot with the best of them.
TV reception at the bar went out during the Spencer Fisher fight so I have no idea what happened, Spencer won and that's all I saw.
Did anyone else notice that they were using a different camera at first, and then later changed it to the correct aspect ratio? For a short time, everyone looked compressed and skinny.
Next up, UFC 65, rematch of Matt Hughes & GSP. All my friends are saying GSP's going to take but I have my money on Matt Hughes. Matt is a tough motherfucker and he survives and fights his way through shit that will finish anyone else.
I only hope he goes down because he is a cocky asshole. Matt Serra called him a 'penis' after the exchange between Hughes and GSP at the Sushi Bar in the last TUF episode. But I will give credit where it is due; Matt has weathered some storms and came through in the end (especially vs. Frank Trigg fight #2)
GSP will have to get a clean knockout on him to win and I don't see that happening outside of a lucky hit.
I don't think Rush has ever gotten a KO victory, just TKO by ref stoppage. He can hit well, but I don't think he's got the kind of one punch knockout power other fighters have.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Saw the Rich Franklin v Anderson Silva fight on YouTube - OH MY DEAR SWEET LORD Franklin looked like he needed severe reconstructive surgery for his nose and ocular cavities...

And that fight between Serra and Carter on TUF4 was pretty damn good - though I don't really like either of them. But I had hoped that Serra would submit Carter.