NFL 2015

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: NFL 2015

Post by Alferd Packer »

I never understood why people complain about pace of play in baseball. Football games and baseball games, on the professional level, take roughly 3 hours to complete (though MLB has encouraged enforcement of pace-of-play rules that have sped up the average game this year by 9 minutes or so). Both have roughly the same number of commercial breaks. Again, on the professional level, scoring is infrequent and important.

I get why people would not like the sport of baseball, or find the structure of the game itself boring, but the narrative of a game--determining a winner and a loser--takes the same amount of time as a football game. Way less, even, when you compare it to the seemingly interminable college games.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Alferd Packer wrote:I never understood why people complain about pace of play in baseball. Football games and baseball games, on the professional level, take roughly 3 hours to complete (though MLB has encouraged enforcement of pace-of-play rules that have sped up the average game this year by 9 minutes or so). Both have roughly the same number of commercial breaks. Again, on the professional level, scoring is infrequent and important.

I get why people would not like the sport of baseball, or find the structure of the game itself boring, but the narrative of a game--determining a winner and a loser--takes the same amount of time as a football game. Way less, even, when you compare it to the seemingly interminable college games.
Because the QB and wide receivers can't stand around practicing throws and catches for 3-5 minutes between plays. Meanwhile, in baseball, the person supposed to be at bat can stand around picking his ass, scratching his crotch, and hocking loogies while the pitcher stands there waiting for the fucker to get on the plate. You want to improve baseball? Give the batter 40 seconds, then the pitcher can throw 3 quick strikes. Suddenly the games are 2 hours long and slightly more watchable for non-stats nerds.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Flagg wrote:Because the QB and wide receivers can't stand around practicing throws and catches for 3-5 minutes between plays. Meanwhile, in baseball, the person supposed to be at bat can stand around picking his ass, scratching his crotch, and hocking loogies while the pitcher stands there waiting for the fucker to get on the plate. You want to improve baseball? Give the batter 40 seconds, then the pitcher can throw 3 quick strikes. Suddenly the games are 2 hours long and slightly more watchable for non-stats nerds.
Batters can now be fined $500 for each instance of stepping out of the batter's box without asking for time, at the umpire's discretion(basically, if the pitcher is ready but the batter is dicking around). Additionally, non-injury pitching changes and breaks between innings are now timed to 2:30, including all 8 warm-up pitches that a pitcher may throw when he's on the mound. Honestly, unless one or both teams are going yard on the opposing pitchers, most games are well under 3 hours this year, probably closer to the 2.5 hour mark. A well-pitched, low scoring game probably clocks in right around 2 hours, and the shortest game I personally watched this year was something like 1 hour and 56 minutes or something like that.

They did toy around with the idea of a pitch clock this spring, but I don't think they're going to go for it. I'd say 2:30 is probably about where they want the game length to be--shorter than football, longer than basketball.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Alferd Packer wrote:
Flagg wrote:Because the QB and wide receivers can't stand around practicing throws and catches for 3-5 minutes between plays. Meanwhile, in baseball, the person supposed to be at bat can stand around picking his ass, scratching his crotch, and hocking loogies while the pitcher stands there waiting for the fucker to get on the plate. You want to improve baseball? Give the batter 40 seconds, then the pitcher can throw 3 quick strikes. Suddenly the games are 2 hours long and slightly more watchable for non-stats nerds.
Batters can now be fined $500 for each instance of stepping out of the batter's box without asking for time, at the umpire's discretion(basically, if the pitcher is ready but the batter is dicking around). Additionally, non-injury pitching changes and breaks between innings are now timed to 2:30, including all 8 warm-up pitches that a pitcher may throw when he's on the mound. Honestly, unless one or both teams are going yard on the opposing pitchers, most games are well under 3 hours this year, probably closer to the 2.5 hour mark. A well-pitched, low scoring game probably clocks in right around 2 hours, and the shortest game I personally watched this year was something like 1 hour and 56 minutes or something like that.

They did toy around with the idea of a pitch clock this spring, but I don't think they're going to go for it. I'd say 2:30 is probably about where they want the game length to be--shorter than football, longer than basketball.
Instead of fining them what they spend a week on having their lawns maintained, it should effect the game, like in football. Plus they need serious salary caps so you can't buy a good team (New York Wankers) and restrictions on treating players like chattel (Like every time the FL Marlins win a World Series they use the opportunity to "sell" their "world championship" team, since they only care about making as much money as possible, and they can profit by selling off their players and the next season feed their fans a spoonful of pigshit by having mostly unknown talentless hacks the next season), though all sports seem to buy and sell human beings. Not that I'm crying for them given how much some of those motherfuckers make a'cause they kin throw a bally-ball real good an' hit'un with a stick-bat! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

@Flagg

It sounds like you'd probably enjoy hockey more than you do football or baseball. The players kill themselves for 30-60 second shifts, there's a maximum of 3 scheduled commercial breaks per period, and between the 20 minute periods you can walk away from the TV and grab a fresh drink, or listen to the commentators if that's your thing. The only issue might be the lack of scoring, a 3-2 game is pretty average.

-----

On topic, I haven't managed to catch an NFL game yet with the Jays coming down the stretch and hockey season starting. It seems like the Seahawks might have a bit of a down year after the loss in the finals, and as a very casual fan I'm not sure I can get myself up to watch them if they struggle for the next few games.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Are you kidding me?

They were in the last two Super Bowls, won the first of those, and it's the same roster. Unless Strong Safety is suddenly the most important position in football, they will be contenders again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bandwagoners be tripping, yo.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Jub wrote:@Flagg

It sounds like you'd probably enjoy hockey more than you do football or baseball. The players kill themselves for 30-60 second shifts, there's a maximum of 3 scheduled commercial breaks per period, and between the 20 minute periods you can walk away from the TV and grab a fresh drink, or listen to the commentators if that's your thing. The only issue might be the lack of scoring, a 3-2 game is pretty average.

-----

On topic, I haven't managed to catch an NFL game yet with the Jays coming down the stretch and hockey season starting. It seems like the Seahawks might have a bit of a down year after the loss in the finals, and as a very casual fan I'm not sure I can get myself up to watch them if they struggle for the next few games.

I enjoy playing hockey, but like soccer I hate ties, so no.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

GuppyShark wrote:Are you kidding me?

They were in the last two Super Bowls, won the first of those, and it's the same roster. Unless Strong Safety is suddenly the most important position in football, they will be contenders again.
I'm first and foremost a hockey fan. The Canucks are going to be, at best, fighting for a bottom playoff spot again this year and even if they do make it they'll most likely bow out in the first round again like they did last year. I'll still watch as many of their games as I can. This is partly because I've been a Canucks fan since the 94' cup run when I was 6, and partially because I understand the stats and strategies of the game in a way I just don't with football.

If I knew more about football to the point of being able to draft a fantasy team, I'd probably care more and watch more. If I knew the subtle differences between formations and knew if things were looking good or bad presnap I'd likely have tons more interest. I don't know these things and don't know any fans that could get me up to speed on these things. So I'll only watch a team that's excellent and playing exciting football.

-----
Flagg wrote:I enjoy playing hockey, but like soccer I hate ties, so no.
With 3-on-3 overtime for 5 minutes, most games should resolve one way or the other and if they don't that's why the league went to a shootout. Hockey doesn't have ties anymore unless you count ties after OT.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Man, Baltimore had almost as many yards in penalties on that Oakland drive as Oakland did in successful plays. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Our offence puts up 493 yards and 33 points and we still lose. The fuck?

And say goodbye to our playoff chances as well. Starting 0-2 means 12% chance of reaching the playoffs.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Thanas wrote:Our offence puts up 493 yards and 33 points and we still lose. The fuck?

And say goodbye to our playoff chances as well. Starting 0-2 means 12% chance of reaching the playoffs.

Please.. You have a damn fine QB, and some solid vets remaining on D. Your division consists of the Bungles and the Bownies who will choke, and the Steelers who look like shit. Don't wet your pants yet.

Though you did lose to the Raiders.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Steelers did just obliterate the 49ers. Says more about the 49ers than the Steelers, though. Ouch.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

What a sloppy, grabasstic two weeks of football! Aside from the Cardinals and Patriots, every team looks like they're playing the second preseason game. That Cowboys-Eagles game was grotesque.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Argh. I managed to catch the tail end of the Saints game, just in time to watch them lose to the fucking Buccaneers.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Thanas wrote:Our offence puts up 493 yards and 33 points and we still lose. The fuck?

Please.. You have a damn fine QB, and some solid vets remaining on D. Your division consists of the Bungles and the Bownies who will choke, and the Steelers who look like shit. Don't wet your pants yet.
The problem is that the Bengals are a good regular season team and the steelers look damn strong. I don't think we will sweep them, which is probably what is necessary for us to get this done.
------------
------------
My LPs
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Terralthra wrote:Steelers did just obliterate the 49ers. Says more about the 49ers than the Steelers, though. Ouch.
I wouldn't be too hasty about drawing conclusions on either team after one game. That game was a gift to the Steelers by the scheduler makers. Home game on 10 days rest against a West Coast team with a short week having to fly cross country for the early game on Sunday. Rothlisberger was sharp, but I think on more equal footing that game is a lot closer than the final score. Time will tell...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Col. Crackpot wrote:

Ravens should just cheat like your team. :mrgreen:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I love the first couple of weeks of the season.

Jaguars beat the Dolphins who beat the Redskins who beat the Rams who beat the Seahawks, therefore Jaguars >> Seahawks. :lol:
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Flagg wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:

Ravens should just cheat like your team. :mrgreen:
Not smart enough to pull it off. They are pretty good at whining about complex plays they have nevwr seen before though. They should stick to that.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, those plays were so much in the spirit of the rules that as soon as they had a chance to fix it, they were banned. :)
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Which is horseshit. Good thing this kind of crybaby mentality wasn't around decades ago, or just about every other trick play would be banned too ("He faked the hand off and then... threw a pass! It's so unfair! Waaaaaaaah!").
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, this definitely wasn't around back then and definitely not among the chargers. I mean, how could I possibly hear about Riverfronts being kept open.
------------
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Flacco had a brilliant 26 yard td pass to Gilmore Sunday. Great creative play calling. But I can't help but wonder where I saw that play before. Looks so familiar.. Just can't put my finger on it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Flacco had a brilliant 26 yard td pass to Gilmore Sunday. Great creative play calling. But I can't help but wonder where I saw that play before. Looks so familiar.. Just can't put my finger on it.
WTF are you talking about?
------------
------------
My LPs