The german wehrmacht in Modern America (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The german wehrmacht in Modern America (RAR!)

Post by Thanas »

Mr Bean wrote:Name me one invasion force that attacked a country via time traveling teleportation to the heartland.
I'd argue the invasion of France in 1870 and 1940 suffices as both featured never before seen speed of advances. Or for that matter the invasion of Iraq.
Or one other country that combines America's high gun ownership with military worship and communication advantage
France in the 19th and early 20th century or Germany of that period? Every household back then had a gun of sorts. Just like Iraq did.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Name me one invasion force that attacked a country via time traveling teleportation to the heartland.
I'd argue the invasion of France in 1870 and 1940 suffices as both featured never before seen speed of advances. Or for that matter the invasion of Iraq.
France in 1870 and 1940 are nothing compared to this invasion, both times your talking about a long build up a tension which lets all the patriots and veterans be activated and recruited into the military rather than at home with their weapons when the balloon goes up. As success insurgency requires leaders and organizers which requires core personnel to form. The best people are typically already in the army when war starts thanks to a long period of buildup and tension increase which won't be an issue here since again teleportation mid-country.
Thanas wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Or one other country that combines America's high gun ownership with military worship and communication advantage

France in the 19th and early 20th century or Germany of that period? Every household back then had a gun of sorts. Just like Iraq did.
Again such people were in the military already not at home with their guns. Also the intial Iraq invasion was a massive assault that bypassed built up areas and focused on smashing active military units which won't be an option for our Nazi thanks to American distributed depot systems. Once we moved into the cities and built up areas in Iraq we did not face instant attacks because Iraq was a three way divided country and two of those sides were eager for America to invade the last adopted a wait and see for the first few weeks then came back at us full force. A united country would have attacked us far sooner, had the invasion of Iraq been an invasion of Iran for example you'd see the same sort of things I'm predicting America will do with our teleporting Nazis.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Germans are completely, ludicrously behind the times when it comes to communications and technological capabilities here.

Here's a quick outline of what I see happening:

--They pop out of thin air, ground troops start spreading to secure the area and create a LZ (for lack of a better term). Air units meanwhile disperse and attack nearby objectives (per Zor, they know what they're doing). For them, this would be Dobbins AFB/ARB, the National Guard airstrip, and Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, perhaps going as far as to attack Robbins as well and Ft. Gordon in Augusta. The bases aren't going to be sitting still; while they won't have enough warning to scramble warplanes, you bet your bottom dollar they'll be calling in backup.

--Meanwhile, almost immediately after the ground troops at least show up, and someone notices the massive numbers of primitive warplanes in the air, the social media network explodes. CNN, Al Jazeera, Fox and the local news outlets get onto the streets post-haste. Someone's certain to have called the cops, if they haven't already run into German soldiers on the street and called it in themselves.

--The City of Atlanta and suburbs thereof turn into a bit of a nasty war-zone as the Wehrmacht butt heads against the police and civilians. It is absolutely not going to be a case of the Germans just march in and tell everybody to surrender. No. There's going to be way too many stupid young men and well-equipped cops with guns to take it sitting down, especially when those grey uniforms are lovely, beautiful target markers. It's the first invasion of the United States since 1814; they aren't going to just lie down and let the Germans roll over them.

--That said, there's going to be a near-immediate attempt at exodus from the suburbs at the very least. The highways are going to turn into an impassable morass, solid in all directions. Going to be some serious issues there.

--At some point all those planes are going to have to land. Hope they didn't bomb the various air-strips too badly. I'm not sure Hartsfield has anywhere near the capacity to handle 94,000 planes, though. And they are going to have issues refueling, because something like 99% of the plane fuel available will be jet fuel. They're going to have to knock over a few gas stations or hunt up some tanker trucks.

--Within a hour or two of the initial German appearance, US drones are in the air. The Germans would be well advised to use their air cover to shoot these down. They may actually have that capability, at least with the prop drones. Jet drones may be harder to hit.

--Inside of a few hours, the entire US military is going to be on high alert and mobilized. Naval forces will be converging upon the southeastern US. Marines will be deployed from Camp Lejeune and Parris Island (not the boots, the Marines from that base). Forts Benning and Stewart will be kicking into high gear to get everybody armed and ready to roll to attack northwards. There will be F-15's, 16's, and 18's as well as A-10's, AH-1 and 64's, AC-130s in the air. Hell, we won't even have to bother with electronic-warfare aircraft other than jamming basic radio on the frequencies the Germans are using, unless they've got some radar going on which IIRC they didn't have a whole lot of on their aircraft apart from some night-fighters. Outside of the surrounding few states, every charter bus for miles around will be quickly commandeered, C-130's will be loading up soldiers and hardware, and the biggest military movement in recent history will be undertaken.

Short version? There is going to be an absolutely overpowering quantity of military hardware and troops converging very quickly upon the Atlanta region.

--If the Germans wise up to the situation they're in-- hopefully some bright boy figures out how to pull up the Internet and cable television news channels, or make someone show them how-- the only way they can survive an open conflict is to pull all their forces into the Atlanta urban area, point all their guns outward, set out as much flak batteries as they can, shoot down every drone they see, and wait to die. Because before the day is over, the U.S. military is going to be there, and loaded for bear.

--During the night, if not before, flak batteries will be obliterated by JDAMs and missiles from drones. The same for armoured vehicles and tanks. Soldiers might do okay if they're smart enough to forcibly commandeer civilian residences and hunker down in them; we're not going to blow up our own citizens if we can help it. The sky might resemble Baghdad in 1990, only it'll be a lot quicker and more explodey.

The fact of the matter is that the Germans have zero technological edge against the American forces. They have numbers and that is a virtue to itself-- but that's it. Once the first day and night of fighting are done, almost certainly they will surrender hastily once they've taken a very brutal pasting without managing to pass on much damage of their own.

On the other hand? There are certain to be brutal civilian and police casualties. The damage to the Atlanta infrastructure will be severe. But apart from that, this is a Dan Brown/Tom Clancy military-industrial-complex wet dream come true.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Elheru Aran wrote:
--During the night, if not before, flak batteries will be obliterated by JDAMs and missiles from drones. The same for armoured vehicles and tanks. Soldiers might do okay if they're smart enough to forcibly commandeer civilian residences and hunker down in them; we're not going to blow up our own citizens if we can help it. The sky might resemble Baghdad in 1990, only it'll be a lot quicker and more explodey.
This is not exactly true because by napkin math the Germans will literally have more tanks and flak battaries than we have JDAM packages. We don't have three million bombs on hand that can be deployed quickly. WWII Germans are used to digging trenches and defending against early close attack aircraft even if the accuracy jump of American planes will be a massive shock, again twelve million plus soldiers plus 94,000 planes, 49,000 tanks of all types, 390,000 transports of all types of which there is going to be an additional 71,000 Flak guns of all types, 51,000 artillery guns of all types not double counting dual purpose guns.

AND I'm not even counting things like Pak 37s or 40's, rocket artillery of all types and the SDK series of hanomags most of which carry everything from machine guns to 88 flak cannons. Once the Germans spread out they have enough to ring a 100 mile circle with guns the entire way down.

*Edit
Taking Global securities numbers the US has 11,000 planes of all types that could be made to drop bombs not counting transport aircraft but counting training aircraft. Assuming a 50% success rate with rush attacks your talking about every plane in the entire US arsnal having to fly a minimum of five strike missions just to put a dent in the Germans tank numbers. And bombing said tanks first requires getting past tens of thousands of fighter aircraft and ground based AA. Granted high flying jet fighters will be pretty much immune to German interception but the same does not hold true for thousand of helicopters or scratch built bombers so all of those planes must be dealt with first.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Elheru Aran wrote: --The City of Atlanta and suburbs thereof turn into a bit of a nasty war-zone as the Wehrmacht butt heads against the police and civilians. It is absolutely not going to be a case of the Germans just march in and tell everybody to surrender. No. There's going to be way too many stupid young men and well-equipped cops with guns to take it sitting down, especially when those grey uniforms are lovely, beautiful target markers. It's the first invasion of the United States since 1814; they aren't going to just lie down and let the Germans roll over them.
I've seen some stupid and funny shit on these boards but my god I want some of dem good drugs you must have. You honestly think those, what... 2500 cops and handful of civilians will somehow stall a force, that's easily ten times their total number, are already organized and has dated but still working armor. I mean ... they can do what.. to a PzIV? I mean even if by some Amurica fuck yea! magic, the people of Atlanta unite and form le resistance, they haven't got a prayer in hell against even a semi competent german armored division.
Because even if their equipment is dated, by op it still works and I'm not even taking into account the german force in this scenario could, and probably would use several mechanized units to roll into town with. Yea, few cops and some loonies with various small arms... I'm totally seeing how they will stop Zie Nazi hoard from taking their womenz before retreating to their nazi moon base. :lol:

I'll go make some pop corn, because this thread is a trainwreck about to happen and I'm going to catch a ride and go all the way. Choo choo! :lol:

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Mr Bean wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
This is not exactly true because by napkin math the Germans will literally have more tanks and flak battaries than we have JDAM packages. We don't have three million bombs on hand that can be deployed quickly. WWII Germans are used to digging trenches and defending against early close attack aircraft even if the accuracy jump of American planes will be a massive shock, again twelve million plus soldiers plus 94,000 planes, 49,000 tanks of all types, 390,000 transports of all types of which there is going to be an additional 71,000 Flak guns of all types, 51,000 artillery guns of all types not double counting dual purpose guns.

AND I'm not even counting things like Pak 37s or 40's, rocket artillery of all types and the SDK series of hanomags most of which carry everything from machine guns to 88 flak cannons. Once the Germans spread out they have enough to ring a 100 mile circle with guns the entire way down.

*Edit
Taking Global securities numbers the US has 11,000 planes of all types that could be made to drop bombs not counting transport aircraft but counting training aircraft. Assuming a 50% success rate with rush attacks your talking about every plane in the entire US arsnal having to fly a minimum of five strike missions just to put a dent in the Germans tank numbers. And bombing said tanks first requires getting past tens of thousands of fighter aircraft and ground based AA. Granted high flying jet fighters will be pretty much immune to German interception but the same does not hold true for thousand of helicopters or scratch built bombers so all of those planes must be dealt with first.
And this is why those tac-nukes will start to seem quite attractive. After all, didn't the US/UK come up with all many of tactical weapons for (almost) exactly this purpose? Stopping vast enemy tank armies from overwhelming our territory?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Gunhead wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote: --The City of Atlanta and suburbs thereof turn into a bit of a nasty war-zone as the Wehrmacht butt heads against the police and civilians. It is absolutely not going to be a case of the Germans just march in and tell everybody to surrender. No. There's going to be way too many stupid young men and well-equipped cops with guns to take it sitting down, especially when those grey uniforms are lovely, beautiful target markers. It's the first invasion of the United States since 1814; they aren't going to just lie down and let the Germans roll over them.
I've seen some stupid and funny shit on these boards but my god I want some of dem good drugs you must have. You honestly think those, what... 2500 cops and handful of civilians will somehow stall a force, that's easily ten times their total number, are already organized and has dated but still working armor. I mean ... they can do what.. to a PzIV? I mean even if by some Amurica fuck yea! magic, the people of Atlanta unite and form le resistance, they haven't got a prayer in hell against even a semi competent german armored division.
Because even if their equipment is dated, by op it still works and I'm not even taking into account the german force in this scenario could, and probably would use several mechanized units to roll into town with. Yea, few cops and some loonies with various small arms... I'm totally seeing how they will stop Zie Nazi hoard from taking their womenz before retreating to their nazi moon base. :lol:

I'll go make some pop corn, because this thread is a trainwreck about to happen and I'm going to catch a ride and go all the way. Choo choo! :lol:

-Gunhead
Yeah, this and other claims really makes me think the MURICA Kool-aid had a massive giveaway earlier. Really, the Germans at this point have extensive experience in Urban fighting, much more experience then the USA currently has. There are more Nazi soldiers than the entire state of Georgia. There is no way the USA can prevent the Nazi horde from taking Georgia. They can probably contain them and then force them to surrender or starve out, but this red dawn fetishism is pretty stupid.
Mr Bean wrote: France in 1870 and 1940 are nothing compared to this invasion, both times your talking about a long build up a tension which lets all the patriots and veterans be activated and recruited into the military rather than at home with their weapons when the balloon goes up. As success insurgency requires leaders and organizers which requires core personnel to form. The best people are typically already in the army when war starts thanks to a long period of buildup and tension increase which won't be an issue here since again teleportation mid-country.
No, in many cases in the 1870 war Germany hit before France was fully mobilized. There still wasn't an insurgency that stopped the Germans from achieving their aims despite the French nation organizing and calling for such an insurgency.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Elheru Aran wrote:That's all the way up in Kentucky, though. Not quite a hop-skip-and-jump away from Atlanta. There's plenty of tanks at Fort Benning, and while WW2 iron bombs might do damage with a direct hit, I doubt there's much that the German forces have that can really dent modern American tank forces.
Artillery, maybe.

In a straight up tank vs. tank battle there is no way that any WWII era tank gun could threaten a modern tank, even if they weren't simply destroyed from five or more times their effective engagement range because of modern infrared and radar spotting and fire control, armour technology has simply progressed too far.

In a straight up air to air battle no WWII fighter is going to be able to get its guns on a modern jet, they're too fast, able to climb too well, and have long range radar, meaning that they will be in full control of when, where, and if any engagement happens.

The Wehrmacht can't get anything resembling local superiority, so they can easily be contained, can easily be pushed into an area where most of its materiel is useless due to overconcentration, starved out and made to surrender.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
Gunhead wrote:

-Gunhead
Yeah, this and other claims really makes me think the MURICA Kool-aid had a massive giveaway earlier. Really, the Germans at this point have extensive experience in Urban fighting, much more experience then the USA currently has. There are more Nazi soldiers than the entire state of Georgia. There is no way the USA can prevent the Nazi horde from taking Georgia. They can probably contain them and then force them to surrender or starve out, but this red dawn fetishism is pretty stupid.
I think the point that's being missed here is that Bean and Elheru and the others aren't even saying "RED DAWN civilian resistance will stop them!"

They're saying that there will be considerable random, sporadic, self-organizing partisan opposition to the suddenly appearing Germans.

That is a totally different claim from "these partisans will win." In my opinion, the partisans will exist, and will interfere with any attempt by the Nazi army to secure a large bridgehead quickly and bloodlessly... but they'll be routed out and slaughtered.

Of course, the predictable Nazi reprisals will tend to motivate the next wave of would-be rebels to create a real insurgency, one that is harder to crack apart with comically basic security procedure.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Likely impact: Re-opening of the NFA registration lists. Why? Because time-traveling Nazis are now a thing, and if it happens once, it can happen again. Expect the number of registered, fully automatic weapons to soar in the first days of the open registration. Likely a long amnesty period for people that procured their weapons prior to it being strictly speaking legal.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

"These partisans will exist" in a rich first world country with zero partisan warfare for the last... century and a half, is it? :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:"These partisans will exist" in a rich first world country with zero partisan warfare for the last... century and a half, is it? :lol:
What would you call out militia groups, anti-abortion terrorists, self defense groups and cults?

I'll repeat Simon said, I'm not in any way shape or form arguing for successful partisans or competent partisans. They will get the shit murdered out of them. But they will exist and they will prevent goosestepping parades down main street as Americans fall over themselves surrendering. The Germans will advance out in their millions and advanced elements will exchange fire with various Americans, the word will go out from washing over the EBS to either fall back or resist. No American president who hopes to survive a day will order them to surrender. Unless the common solider is ready to eat the casualties of being shot at every few minutes the advance will slow and house to house work will be required which takes time.

I'll remind you that said Americans are going to be hearing bombing (and artillery) within an hour of the event.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think the point that's being missed here is that Bean and Elheru and the others aren't even saying "RED DAWN civilian resistance will stop them!"
How else would you interpret "Atlanta will be a bloodbath for the Nazis due to Partisan warfare", Simon?
------------
------------
My LPs
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

For all this talk about partisans, what about collaborators?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I think the point that's being missed here is that Bean and Elheru and the others aren't even saying "RED DAWN civilian resistance will stop them!"
How else would you interpret "Atlanta will be a bloodbath for the Nazis due to Partisan warfare", Simon?
...that the blood is American blood.
I never indicated the partisans would be effective or successful just widespread. They will get the shit murdered out of them and there will be many of them.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bean, please. The full context of that quote by him was:
RARMURICA wrote:The Germans are completely, ludicrously behind the times when it comes to communications and technological capabilities here.

Here's a quick outline of what I see happening:

--They pop out of thin air, ground troops start spreading to secure the area and create a LZ (for lack of a better term). Air units meanwhile disperse and attack nearby objectives (per Zor, they know what they're doing). For them, this would be Dobbins AFB/ARB, the National Guard airstrip, and Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, perhaps going as far as to attack Robbins as well and Ft. Gordon in Augusta. The bases aren't going to be sitting still; while they won't have enough warning to scramble warplanes, you bet your bottom dollar they'll be calling in backup.

--Meanwhile, almost immediately after the ground troops at least show up, and someone notices the massive numbers of primitive warplanes in the air, the social media network explodes. CNN, Al Jazeera, Fox and the local news outlets get onto the streets post-haste. Someone's certain to have called the cops, if they haven't already run into German soldiers on the street and called it in themselves.

--The City of Atlanta and suburbs thereof turn into a bit of a nasty war-zone as the Wehrmacht butt heads against the police and civilians. It is absolutely not going to be a case of the Germans just march in and tell everybody to surrender. No. There's going to be way too many stupid young men and well-equipped cops with guns to take it sitting down, especially when those grey uniforms are lovely, beautiful target markers. It's the first invasion of the United States since 1814; they aren't going to just lie down and let the Germans roll over them.
....yeah.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:For all this talk about partisans, what about collaborators?
Not much point in collaborating with the side that's clearly going to lose.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Ralin wrote:
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:For all this talk about partisans, what about collaborators?
Not much point in collaborating with the side that's clearly going to lose.
There WILL be neo-Nazis and white supremacists who think God Himself has answered their prayers for a racial holy war, and ask to join the time-displaced Germans. Of course, such people can be accurately described as future Darwin Award winners- at the very least, the language barrier will prevent most Germans from communicating with the American Nazi-wannabes, whose enthusiasm may be misinterpreted as preparations to attack, and get them shot.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I dunno, some skinheads waving swastikas around might get some of them talking rather than immediately shooting. Then once the skinheads start demonstrating how to use cell phones, computers, and modern technology, the REAL Nazis might find them useful to keep around at least for awhile.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

A good number of Germans in the German army could speak english. The language barrier for Neo-Nazi would not be a significant problem. Not to mention most of the high level officers would certainly be able to talk with the Neo-Nazis. It was and still isn't a odd thing to have multilingual Germans.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:I dunno, some skinheads waving swastikas around might get some of them talking rather than immediately shooting. Then once the skinheads start demonstrating how to use cell phones, computers, and modern technology, the REAL Nazis might find them useful to keep around at least for awhile.
This is probably the only thing that could give this scenario some kind of legs. If they get to social-media-savvy skinhead quislings before anybody else finds out about them and mounts a response (and that's a mighty big if), they could potentially adopt modern communications for use with each other, use social media like ISIL, and rally every racist shithead in the south around #nazis4real! within a couple of days. Not that it'd make much difference in the long run, but more shit would get wrecked. In the aftermath, all the neo-nazis in the USA who didn't go to Georgia and get shot now feel like they have proof that God or Odin or whatever is on their side because, hey, time travel, and also a bunch of martyrs to worship, leading to more trouble down the road.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am very certain that the Neo-Nazi worship would disappear as soon as they try to get in the good graces of the Wehrmacht officers. This is the Wehrmacht, not the SS, and without Hitler to lead them this probably will not result in things like death squads etc.

Meanwhile, modern Neonazis trying to talk to Generals born in the 1880s-90s? Yeah, good luck. I think they'd be lucky to be simply thrown out.
------------
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I really doubt any sort of civilian resistance would amount to anything.

The sheer shock of seeing mobilized military vehicles in such large numbers, out of nowhere, would probably scare the shit out of most ordinary civilians. And honestly, most ordinary civilians probably couldn't even necessarily tell that the equipment is out-of-date. Since the initial parameters of this scenario are so inherently absurd, most people would not imagine that time travel was involved at all: people would think this is some modern force that somehow managed to sneak attack Georgia. The Nazi uniforms and insignias would at most be extremely confusing. There would likely be massive casualties before the US military could mobilize and neutralize the Nazis. I mean, being able to teleport immediately into enemy territory with supply lines intact is a huge fucking initial advantage, even though it ultimately wouldn't be enough to overcome the massive technological disparity.

And after the Nazis surrendered, we'd have the problem of potentially hundreds of thousands of German survivors from the 40s, who we now have to detain and deal with. They'd probably be interrogated to try and discover how it is they magically teleported into Georgia... that's the problem with scenarios like these, the more you think about the implications beyond the initial "fun" part, the sillier it gets. (Also... it's likely that some of these 1940s soldiers have duplicate counter-parts living in Germany or elsewhere as elderly people in 2014. They could go travel to Germany or wherever and meet "themselves" ... blah blah, etc.) And of course, the incident would launch an entirely new sense of urgency in National Defense, because the US military would now have to adapt to potential future time traveling, teleporting armies.

Hey, the Republicans might actually make a comeback, since Democrats are likely to be weaker on anti-teleporting Nazi policy. :wink:
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Democrats are likely to be weaker on anti-teleporting Nazi policy.
Why are you discriminating against teleporting time-traveling Nazis? Are you racist? Don't you believe in equality for everybody? Why do you hate America?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
Well, methodical house to house advances through built-up areas usually are bloodbaths, no? In a case like this the defender will be doing 90% or more of the bleeding, of course. As Bean said, the Americans are going to be doing most of the bleeding, and the Germans are going to be very busy getting drenched in it.
Probably not a lot of them because of the expectation that the random Nazis from nowhere are going to lose. Most people who collaborated with the Nazis historically did so because their country had been conquered and they thought they were joining a new world order that was going to win.

Or because they viewed the Germans as liberating them from some other oppressor (such as Stalin). Here, that would not be the case, except for a handful of random skinhead morons.
Channel72 wrote:I really doubt any sort of civilian resistance would amount to anything.
I think it would do nothing except present the Germans with serious inconvenience trying to take and secure territory. In rural areas they're dealing with hillbilly snipers constantly, in urban areas they can never predict which house has some guy with a semi-automatic rifle waiting to jump out and shoot at them.

They can start suppressing this with the usual methods (reprisals against civilian populations, mass house to house searches and attempts to confiscate personal weapons), but it takes up a lot of time and manpower.

Which wouldn't matter except that they're simultaneously dealing with the stupidly accurate and deadly (if small scale) attacks by regular US military forces on their front line. And with free-ranging airstrikes directed against their everything, since essentially everything the US Air Force has is immune to essentially everything the Wehrmacht has.
And after the Nazis surrendered, we'd have the problem of potentially hundreds of thousands of German survivors from the 40s, who we now have to detain and deal with. They'd probably be interrogated to try and discover how it is they magically teleported into Georgia...
Millions. But yeah. That part would be bizarre.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov