World Cup 2014

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crown
NARF

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Crown »

DaveJB wrote:
Crown wrote:By the way, keeping in mind that one swallow does not a summer make, does anyone think that Del Bosque might have chosen his team due to nostalgia rather than merit this time round?
He stuck mostly with the team that got through the qualifying tournament, which in fairness is what most of the coaches have done. But what did happen between qualification and the actual tournament was Atletico Madrid's title victory, and the Spanish press were apparently giving Del Bosque flack for largely passing over their squad and picking the usual batch of Real Madrid and Barcelona players.

In any case, it looks like that odd trend that started in 2002 of the defending champions always doing a horrible job of defending their title is going to continue with Spain.
I was more referring (or alluding to) the inclusion of Fernando Torres at the expense of Fernando Llorente or Alvaro Negredo. It's mind boggling that Torres who managed 5 league goals in 2013-2014 is there at the expense of either.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

I was going to make a comment about how refreshing it was that the English press are treating the tournament with mild-but-tempered optimism, rather than either having ludicrously unrealistic expectations or actively hoping that England will fail so that the manager will get the bullet. Unfortunately I think that's all about to go out the window now, seeing how Uruguay just got whacked 3-1 by Costa Rica.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

DaveJB wrote:I was going to make a comment about how refreshing it was that the English press are treating the tournament with mild-but-tempered optimism, rather than either having ludicrously unrealistic expectations or actively hoping that England will fail so that the manager will get the bullet. Unfortunately I think that's all about to go out the window now, seeing how Uruguay just got whacked 3-1 by Costa Rica.
I was hoping either Poyet or Cannavaro was going to knock Chile's teeth out live on TV, but alas, I'm left disappointed once again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm rooting for Portugal but I know they won't have a chance in winning the Cup. They're lumped with Germany, Ghana and the U.S., so I'm fairly confident that they advance to the next round second to Germany, but after that? Doubt they'll succeed.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Caught the tail end of the hubbub about France's second goal there awarded by the line system.

Certainly couldn't tell it was over from the views they showed but then that's what a line system is for.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Dammit, England! :evil:

Why I bet on a draw there? x_x
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Interesting match up today. Germany vs Portgual and US vs Ghana. We should see a nice number of goals today.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

So, are you guys interested in talking about the police abuses to protesters due to the World Cup, in the 50 year anniversary of the military coup or just the football?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Spekio wrote:So, are you guys interested in talking about the police abuses to protesters due to the World Cup, in the 50 year anniversary of the military coup or just the football?
In another thread, perhaps. This is for the sporting event itself.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

GER vs POR(R) Spoiler
Another bad day for an iberian team. 2 injured players, one red carded and they lost the match 4:0.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Fun fact: My grandfather was from Wehr, and my co-worker is 1st gen Portuguese.
Other fun fact: I can dance a MEAN smug-bitch shuffle when I want to.

It could have been a good match if Portugal had realized they were in FIFA and not the UFC. The second half was mainly Germany having a nap.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

MWAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Outclassed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

First lets snicker at Jonathan Pearce; Twitter Mockery

Felt sorry for the Portuguese, great people, but they really do have some unsympathetic players in their team!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Some of these tweets are pure gold.
Apologies to Jonathan Pearce for that last tweet. I totally crossed the line. Or did I?
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Thanas wrote:MWAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Outclassed.
Müller is now at 8 goals in 7 WC games. Maybe he can even take the lead in all time scores this tournament.

Also: awkward if you find out your nephew is Portugal fan. I blame the parents.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Your nephew has betrayed the great SCHLAND and will have to be reeducated by copious amounts of beer, bretzels, Wurst, Eisbein and the great Spanferkel. :mrgreen:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Thanas wrote:Your nephew has betrayed the great SCHLAND and will have to be reeducated by copious amounts of beer, bretzels, Wurst, Eisbein and the great Spanferkel. :mrgreen:
Northern bavaria / southern thuringa whould be the best place for a reeducation center. Beer & sausages are good & cheap there.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Thanas wrote:MWAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Outclassed.
Are you really celebrating the defeat of Portugal? It's Portugal!
Welf wrote:Müller is now at 8 goals in 7 WC games. Maybe he can even take the lead in all time scores this tournament.

Also: awkward if you find out your nephew is Portugal fan. I blame the parents.
If he can beat Ronaldinho's record, maybe we can start remember him for his true achievments: being caught with 3 transvestites in a hotel then hilariously trying to undo the damage by "being caught" with three hookers.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thunderfire wrote:
Thanas wrote:Your nephew has betrayed the great SCHLAND and will have to be reeducated by copious amounts of beer, bretzels, Wurst, Eisbein and the great Spanferkel. :mrgreen:
Northern bavaria / southern thuringa whould be the best place for a reeducation center. Beer & sausages are good & cheap there.
Yeah but they suck at Eisbein and Spanferkel. Really, I'd say Westphalia and the Rhineland. They have all these things and also do something which is either completely vile or glorious depending on who you ask, which is the great Krüstchen. (Yes, that is a fried egg on top of a mushroom schnitzel on top of a toast. Can you see the SCHLAND flowing from it?) Or the north for Grünkohl.

Spekio wrote:Are you really celebrating the defeat of Portugal? It's Portugal!
Yes I am. Anytime Ronaldo gets humiliated in this way is a good time.
------------
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Bier, Bier, Biiiiihhiieer, Bier ist unser Elexier, Bier, Bier, Biiiiihiiier, Bier ist unser Elexier!

A glorious battle!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Did...we just win a match? We did! 2-1 vs Ghana. Woot!

Next up, Portugal.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Borgholio wrote:Did...we just win a match? We did! 2-1 vs Ghana. Woot!

Next up, Portugal.
With no Pepe, a pair of starters injured and Rinaldo not moving well, a draw might not be too much to ask, which would likely put the US through on GD.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The Ghana/USA game was very fun to watch.

Congrats to the Americans.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Thanas wrote:
Yeah but they suck at Eisbein and Spanferkel.
I got the best Spanferkel in Waldsassen(Northern Bavaria). The beer is good & cheap (less than 2 EUR for 0.5 litre) in this area too. They serve Eisbein with Lebkuchensauce in Westphalia/Rhineland(Cologne & Aachen) - not good if you ask me. The Mustard is much better better in Westphalia - especially Mustard from Monschau. Back to football. Most(Edit: forgot about ivorycoast win vs Japan) african teams sucked so far and algeria shouldn't be able to beat russia or belgium. I think only the ivory coast has a realistic chance to reach the knockout stage. I expected a better performance from cameroon , nigeria and ghana.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Seems like Brazil isn't the favourites for this tournament with their performances. I think this might be the year Germany win the world cup with the quality of their squad and overall performance.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.