Favorite Movies Set Where You Live

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Favorite Movies Set Where You Live

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I don't think any movie that's shot in Vancouver is actually set in Vancouver, so that leaves me pretty high and dry. Certainly nothing I remember off the top of my head.

And Patrick, no love for the Big Easy?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Imperial Overlord wrote:And Patrick, no love for the Big Easy?
Meh. Nice scenery, but nobody in New Orleans talks with an accent like the Dennis Quaid character.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Starship Troopers, filmed partially at Mile Square Park, Santa Ana, CA, on the enormous dirt "air strip" that I think has been paved over with a golf-course. My grandpa used to fly model planes there with an "old fogies" club, and they had to find another place when the movie was being shot.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
born in shadow
Youngling

Post by born in shadow »

spaceviking wrote:
Stark wrote:Does it could that MDK 2 had a sequence set in Edmonton? :D
I don't know what that stands for?
It's a game

Part of Wayne's World was shot here in Covina, though if it was just the first or both escapes me :?

-Aaron
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

spaceviking wrote:i live in Edmonton Alberta, I can think of any movie ever made that is set in my hometown.
Leslie Nealson was here shooting a film in West Edmonton Mall, a Christmas film. I think it'll be out next year (or was it out already?). They had Europa Blvd (upstairs, north of Santa Maria) decked out like it was Christmas for months (better part of a year, I think).

That Jesse James movie with Brad Pitt was shot near here. Actually, there are a few movies shot around here, or close enough to count (I'm going to put 'close enough' in the area of Edmonton, up to Fort Mac, down to at least Red Deer, and west to Jasper).

Degan: What about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Look it up on Youtube to hear the accent, let me know how close it is.
XXXI
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

For Torbay, the only films that I know of are Churchill: The Hollywood Years, which was so appalling, the only thing that could have realistically improved it would have been a cameo by the Chuckle brothers.

....aaaaannnd, Blackball, a Paul Kaye film, which was half decent.

For the Westcountry in general, there is only one film that needs to be mentioned, and that is the legendary Hot Fuzz.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

There have been a shitload of movies filmed in Sarajevo, and the movie location is always Sarajevo. Some were good, some were shit.

But I have to say that my favorite movie, that was filmed here, is "Valter brani Sarajevo" I have a thing about old WW2 movies, and this is in my opinion, one of the best movies ever made.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Arrested Development. If TV isn't allowed, than A Scanner Darkly.

There aren't too many films or TV shows set in Orange County. Unlike certain depictions, indie bands do not play here 24/7.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Bruce Almighty both took place and was partially shot in Buffalo, NY.

And as for New Orleans, come on...Moonraker. :P
JADAFETWA
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Kuja wrote:
And as for New Orleans, come on...Moonraker. :P
Don't forget Live and Let Die.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

There's been an assload of movies set in Philadelphia, though the best might be the original Rocky.

Most New Jersey movies take place in North Jersey; South Jersey, where I grew up, has a couple shitty Jersey Devil movies, Atlantic City, and a small part of A.I., that I've seen.

Northern Delaware, where I'm presently kicking around, has Fight Club (the movie never explicitly states it, but there's a line of dialog about new fight clubs springing up in Newark and Delaware City, and the last scenes are set in an unnamed city full of credit card company headquarters--obviously Wilmington).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

There is only one.

Thought it does stretch the definition of 'where you live' slightly.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Jonen C
Youngling

Post by Jonen C »

I'm sure I've seen documentaries set on or around the local airbase (Malmen).
But Linköping itself... No, no, I don't think I've seen the city itself any movies (but then, I'm not all that into Swedish film).
The province of Östergötland, though, gets screen time in the 'Göta Kanal' flicks.
Varje meddelande om att motståndet skall uppges är falskt. - BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

My mother taught me that it is the right of every woman to be seen, acknowledged, courted and proposed to at least once daily.
So, if you are reading this and you are a woman, will you marry me?
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Some folks have too few to chose from whereas being from the DC area I've got too freakin many to chose from. The problem is far too many of them end up being retarded political thrillers or 'corrupt government stopped by the heroic <insert stereotype>' movies. If it is TV prodcution then "The West Wing" without a doubt takes top honors. If we are talking about films I'm just not sure but off the top of my head, and reserving the right to change my mind, I will go with Deep Impact which was a nice disaster movie with some actual thought behind it.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Though I wasn't born in Philadelphia, I lived there for several years (and live nearby now) and have lots of family there. Consequently I've spent lots of time in and around the city.

Thus:

Twelve Monkeys

Witness

Though it doesn't really count yet, parts of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen were filmed in the city, so I anticipate that being a favorite. ;)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Why tell you, when I can show you?

West Virginia In the Movies

Fayette, Greenbrier, and Kanawha Counties are my stomping grounds. My lil brother lives in Raleigh Co. So you tell me how many movies were filmed here. But this film was the closest.
1929, WEST VIRGINIA, THE STATE BEAUTIFUL
DIRECTED BY: Ottis Rymer Snodgrass
(silent documentary; Gauley Mountain, Huntington, Kenova; Fayette, Cabell, Wayne Counties)

My hometown is at the base of Gauley Mountain. My grandfathers and uncles mined coal out of it's side, my father manned the fire tower atop it and buried our pets behind the cabin up there. A peach tree grows by a stream running down it, where my dad planted it while out hunting one day. Dad took me up there to learn to shoot, and to attempt squirrel-hunting. Ben the St. Bernard fought a black bear outside the cabin, and they tumbled over the hill with no damage to Ben.

Can't get much closer than that.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I can't think of any movies set in Idaho other than Napoleon Dynamite, and even then that was up north. Can't think of anything in Boise.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

havokeff wrote:The only movies I can think of that are specifically shot (or at least parts of) and set in Alameda and Oakland, are Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Poetic Justice respectively.
Of course. Where the nuclear wessels are. 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lord Relvenous wrote:I can't think of any movies set in Idaho other than Napoleon Dynamite, and even then that was up north. Can't think of anything in Boise.
What about Moving? I don't think a lot of it was actually set there, but moving to Boise was the subject of the film.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Gandalf wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:I can't think of any movies set in Idaho other than Napoleon Dynamite, and even then that was up north. Can't think of anything in Boise.
What about Moving? I don't think a lot of it was actually set there, but moving to Boise was the subject of the film.
Hmm, never saw that one.

Looking over a list of movies, the only large production budget movie that I can see that took place in Idaho is Georgia Rule. Didn't see that one either.

So I got nothing.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Phantasee wrote:
spaceviking wrote:i live in Edmonton Alberta, I can think of any movie ever made that is set in my hometown.
Leslie Nealson was here shooting a film in West Edmonton Mall, a Christmas film. I think it'll be out next year (or was it out already?). They had Europa Blvd (upstairs, north of Santa Maria) decked out like it was Christmas for months (better part of a year, I think).

That Jesse James movie with Brad Pitt was shot near here. Actually, there are a few movies shot around here, or close enough to count (I'm going to put 'close enough' in the area of Edmonton, up to Fort Mac, down to at least Red Deer, and west to Jasper).
I don't think any of those were set in Edmonton though.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

spaceviking wrote:
Phantasee wrote:

I don't think any of those were set in Edmonton though.
Well, yeah, would you watch a movie about Edmonton? :lol:

Gotta make do with what you got, eh?

PS where were you in the Testing thread? We were listing SDNetters in Alberta.
XXXI
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Well, yeah, would you watch a movie about Edmonton? :lol:

Gotta make do with what you got, eh?

PS where were you in the Testing thread? We were listing SDNetters in Alberta.
I thought testing was just for spam
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I can only think of two movies off-hand that (or so I've heard) were even filmed in Houston, much less set there: "Robocop 2" and the abomination that was "Sidekicks."

Other than that, it seems the only time Houston is mentioned is when it's about to get blown up: "Independence Day." Although, I would assume some movies based around NASA would use at least sections of the Johnson Space Center.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I hear that Close Encounters of the Third Kind is set in my town, but I've never seen it.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass