High school algebra/geometry
17%
Trigonometry
13%
Differential calculus
11%
Integral calculus
22%
Partial degree that makes use of math (detail in post)
10%
Degree in engineering (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in science (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in math (detail math experience in post)
8%
Terminal degree and research (detail research area/experience in post)
2%

Total votes: 156

Kodiak
Jedi Master

Re: Just how much math have you learned?

Post by Kodiak »

I have a BSME in Mechanical Engineering and went all the way through Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differentials, and a class on "Math for Engineering Analysis".
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I am completing a physics degree. So far I've learned some ordinary differential equations and linear algebra. I've had trouble with my last couple of math classes, so I'm not sure I'll go on to partial differential equations.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

So far, just through integral calculus. Next quarter I start the real math sequence for physics majors: ODEs, linear algebra, real and complex analysis, Fourier analysis, PDEs, tensors (basic), and God knows how many other topics... packed into three classes, so one per quarter. Oh my, is that going to be fun... [/sarcasm]

And Metatwaddle, you can get a physics degree without PDEs? :?
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Technically, you only have to take ODEs and linear algebra. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial for me to have PDEs for some of my classes though - a lot of people do take that class.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

PDEs are used motherfucking everywhere in physics. Surely you've seen the three-dimensional Schrodinger equation, or some other form of the wave equation (EM waves, maybe)? That's the classic PDE. What are you looking to do with the degree?
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I've seen the three-dimensional Schrodinger equation, yes - but it was simple enough and the professor was competent enough that I didn't need an entire semester on PDEs to understand how to deal with it. And I have no idea what I'm doing when I get out of college. I have a year and a half until I need to deal with that.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I took Calculus in highschool, though I think the highest that i was actually good at was Trig, though for the life of me I cant remember anything i learned.
Magus
Padawan Learner

Post by Magus »

phongn wrote: Calc AB ~= Calculus I = differential calculus. If you're serious about developing software, though, I'd suggest you take some probability and linear algebra if you can.
I've had some probability as the situation called for it - most of my programming is either extremely low-level stuff, like audio microcontrollers, or extremely high-level stuff such as server-side scripting for the web. I haven't really run across any linear algebra in either type of application as of yet.
"As James ascended the spiral staircase towards the tower in a futile attempt to escape his tormentors, he pondered the irony of being cornered in a circular room."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I got up to integral calculus while I was still at Oregon State learning that I didn't want to do computer science. I've since forgotten a great deal of it, though.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Metatwaddle wrote:I've seen the three-dimensional Schrodinger equation, yes - but it was simple enough and the professor was competent enough that I didn't need an entire semester on PDEs to understand how to deal with it. And I have no idea what I'm doing when I get out of college. I have a year and a half until I need to deal with that.
I'd still take it, but that's just me (anyways, I have to to get my degree). You're right in that most ones you see during undergrad are pretty simple so far as they go, but if you take something like advanced quantum or fluid dynamics, they'll get much harder, IIRC (fluids especially).
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I would personally think PDEs are essential, but some universities may or may not assign serious classes for it. PDEs are also found in mechanics, particularly in explaining anything to do with oscillations.

On the other hand, I did a double in Physics and Math, but I never got a hang of doing proofs and as a result stayed far away from classes that did proofs too much after getting burnt in a few classes. On the other hand, I did applied math classes like Fourier analysis, Asymptotic analysis, Complex Analysis etc.

Yes, I'm a lousy Math major. Physics on the other hand was more my cup of tea.

Though... where do I vote though?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Have a B.S. in Mathematics with a minor in Physics along with three years of Aeropspace Engineering. So while I have a lot of the book learning for the math I don't have much pratical experience with it. I am good with physics as long as you leave the math out of it :)
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Partial degree in Computer Engineering, with all the math that implies. I've forgotten a decent amount of it, but I can do up through differential and integral calculus without really thinking about it.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Pretty good high school math (Integral and differantial, trig, some trig functions) but it's in the wrong language for the internet. Still keep it in shape in preparation for doing some university level stuff.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Grog
Padawan Learner

Post by Grog »

I'm getting a math degree.

Real and complex analysis, measure theory, differential equations, topology, fourier analysis, linear algebra, algebraic geometry, differential geometry, combinatorics, some statistics and probability and numeric analysis. Probably something more.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

First two years in college on the Engineering track: 1 year calc-based physics, 1-1/2 years of calculus up to and including partial differentials and triple integrals. I was going to take matrix algebra post-calc but life got in the way. Living in San Diego (where I got my degree) was too damn expensive for me to transition to day classes, and at the time no California university within 100 miles offered Engineering curricula after 5PM. I wound up with a Business degree and I've lost most of the math I learned. Bah.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Painfully struggled through the minimum required years of High School algebra --in the bonehead division-- then brushed up on it again with the minimum required semester of, basically, "Math for Art Majors" in college. I kinda wished I'd tried something like geometry (and may yet take an evening course if I can find one).

I don't know if it was my learning or their teaching (maybe a bit of both, my mom tells me she she remembered how I struggled and felt most of my math teachers were bozos) but I got to the point where I can manage my finances well and stopped there. An 800+ credit rating, so I guess I did pretty well in that respects.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Calculus II. If I knock the rust off I can do all the important things on a Cartesian Plane, but I am utterly helpless in three dimensions.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Both of my degrees end in "Arts" so my highest math class was College Algebra. :)

Better still I took it self paced. Parts 1 & 2 I completed in 1988. Part 3 I completed in 1994.

So it shouldn't be hard to figure out that I don't remember much in the way of even high school level algebra other than some basic bits and pieces. I do use some math in my job but it's pretty simple multiplication, division, percentages etc...

In some of the math question threads recently I was doing one of these :wtf: when read some of the questions and then saw things that I had completely forgotten existed. It was somewhat frightening and funny at the same time.

Anyway, let me just say to anyone who is thinking there might even be an outside chance that they are interested in a career or degree that requires a lot of math, make sure that you don't stop taking math. Math classes build on each other and if you think that you are going to have to take some higher math make sure you keep in practice. It is a pain in the ass to go back and try to pull things together after being away from it.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

B.Sc. Computer Engineering here. Which meant taking the best of computer science and electrical engineering, throwing them into a blender, and then hanging on for dear life. For that, I had to complete the full three semester sequence of calculus for engineers and scientists (all the way up to vectors, multi-variable functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals and other such goodness.) I also took applied ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and a course on statistics and probability as applied to engineering.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Let's see...

Grade 13 Trig, Grade 12 Calculus (forgotten), and Grade 12 Business Mathematics (whatever that would be called). All Introduction to Business Mathematics in College (or as I called it, Grade 11 math, version 2)

All largely forgotten. Haven't used them in 12+ years, but I could probably relearn it and work out of a textbook if I needed to.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Arithmatic, and perhaps a bit of algebra. I'd really like to learn more however.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

PhD in physics. To be honest, I don't feel like I remember as much of the math I learned as I should. I took differential equations when I was 15 and then I didn't have an opportunity to take any higher math courses until university 3 years later. By that point, my math was rather rusty. I could do the math I needed for other courses, but I felt a little intimidated about going up against other student in pure math classes who had the material fresh in their minds. I wish we had lived nearer to a large university so I could have kept up going with math classes throughout high school.
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Soon I'll have completed my BS in Chemistry with a Mathematics minor, so I'll have been through to Calc III, linear algebra, and statistics. Sadly, I couldn't take the diffy-Q class I wanted, since my scheduling for chemistry kind of nixed it. However, I will be taking it and a formal multivariate calculus class in grad school if I can help it. Of course, I'm getting differential equations out the ass in physical chemistry anyway.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Spin Echo wrote:PhD in physics. To be honest, I don't feel like I remember as much of the math I learned as I should. I took differential equations when I was 15 and then I didn't have an opportunity to take any higher math courses until university 3 years later. By that point, my math was rather rusty. I could do the math I needed for other courses, but I felt a little intimidated about going up against other student in pure math classes who had the material fresh in their minds. I wish we had lived nearer to a large university so I could have kept up going with math classes throughout high school.
You are an experimentalist?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia