What is the greatest '80s movie?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Re: What is the greatest '80s movie?

Post by TC Pilot »

Empire Strikes Back, anyone? Indiana Jones? E.T.?
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Topgun, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Empire Strikes Back, Platoon.

I could watch these over and over (well, not Platoon, it's too sad).
XXXI
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Hell, I forgot Predator too.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Godzilla Returns. It's the only movie that ever actually made me cry as a child, and still has the power to stop me in my tracks to this day.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The Lynch Dune. It is not only a pure cocaine-fueled trip into the world of Frank Herbert's Dune, but also a pure cocaine-fueled trip into the 1980s, completely with black bodysuits regardless of the fact that you're in the desert, bizarre costumes that look like something out of an acid trip in general, completely weird shit like the heart plugs substituting for gay sex, and of course a rock star as the main villain in the film. Because all 80's films need a rock star as an actor.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Everyone knows he coolest film of the 1980s is The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The Eight Dimension.
I wholeheartedly support this statement and/or product.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

The Empire Strikes Back
Spaceballs
The Last Starfighter

Then all those other ones. :D
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

General Zod wrote:Masters of the Universe 8)
The only upside to McCain potentially being president is seeing him inaugurated wearing the golden Skeletor armour.

And, um, aren't we forgetting the documentary Red Dawn?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Because all 80's films need a rock star as an actor.
Go see Labyrinth :wink: .

My list of movies: ESB, The Indiana Jones movies, Blade Runner, Terminator, Aliens, Superman 2 (Got the complete set today as a Bday present!), Ghostbusters, Batman.
Favourite movie is "Sci Fi/Fantasy movie released in the 80's or that had a sequel shortly after/before the 80s " :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Empire Strikes Back, Die Hard, Glory, A Christmas Story. Not necessarily in that order.
Get some
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

As my guilty pleasures I have The Black Hole...is that 1980 or 79?. Krull, because all fantasy films should have Robbie Coltrane and Liam Neeson, as well as Freddie Jones from who also appeared in the already mentioned Dune.

Although Marina, some of the costumes in the Sci-Fi channel version of Dune weren't much better...the pastry chefs of Doom aka the Sardauker. Your point about the stillsuits is taken though, considering the miniseries had them desert camo with a cape, head covering (very vital in the head) and a face covering.

No mentions yet for An American Werewolf in London?
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The Lynch Dune. It is not only a pure cocaine-fueled trip into the world of Frank Herbert's Dune, but also a pure cocaine-fueled trip into the 1980s, completely with black bodysuits regardless of the fact that you're in the desert, bizarre costumes that look like something out of an acid trip in general, completely weird shit like the heart plugs substituting for gay sex, and of course a rock star as the main villain in the film. Because all 80's films need a rock star as an actor.
To be fair, the stillsuits WERE bodysuits that they wore in the middle of the desert. However, you are correct on all counts. It was funny watching Baron Harkonnen flying around in his harness, giggling, and Bene Gesserit Exploding Rock Sound Powers, complete with a gizmo to do it.

This calls for an 80s rock star actor off though. Round One is David Bowie as the Goblin King versus Sting as Feyd Rautha Harkonnen. They can start with a tight pants bulge off.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Muad'dib no longer needs the wierding module!
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

White Haven wrote:Muad'dib no longer needs the wierding module!
Wierding Modules that weren't even part of the original book.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Jade Falcon wrote:Wierding Modules that weren't even part of the original book.
It's a line from the movie. :lol:

MUAD'DIB! *PEW PEW!*

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Gil Hamilton wrote:

MUAD'DIB! *PEW PEW!*
Oh I know, but I just wondered why they made them, from what I understand the Wierding Way was basically a martial art or something similiar.

fgalkin2
Padawan Learner

Post by fgalkin2 »

Jade Falcon wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote:

MUAD'DIB! *PEW PEW!*
Oh I know, but I just wondered why they made them, from what I understand the Wierding Way was basically a martial art or something similiar.
Because it was produced during an 80s cokefest? I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
This is me posting from a public computer or a mobile device.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Continuing in the Christmas vein: Scrooged and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Valley Girl.

When I remember the 80's, it's through the lens of those two flicks...and possibly The Last American Virgin, too.

They caught that time, at least for me.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Jade Falcon wrote:As my guilty pleasures I have The Black Hole...is that 1980 or 79?. Krull, because all fantasy films should have Robbie Coltrane and Liam Neeson, as well as Freddie Jones from who also appeared in the already mentioned Dune.

Although Marina, some of the costumes in the Sci-Fi channel version of Dune weren't much better...the pastry chefs of Doom aka the Sardauker. Your point about the stillsuits is taken though, considering the miniseries had them desert camo with a cape, head covering (very vital in the head) and a face covering.

No mentions yet for An American Werewolf in London?
'79 for The Black Hole.

*Watched it again on Sunday*

MAXIMILLIAN!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

This is actually a really tough choice. I'm torn between The Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future, though I actually see ESB as timeless, whereas BTTF is explicitly an '80s movie, despite most of it taking place in 1955. It is definitely, I think the best plotted movie of the '80s, possibly ever. There's absolutely no fat on that script, while at the same time there's no out-of-nowhere plot developments; there's a gun on the mantle for every murder and a murder for every gun on the mantle.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Jade Falcon wrote:Oh I know, but I just wondered why they made them, from what I understand the Wierding Way was basically a martial art or something similiar.
It was invented because David Lynch DIDN'T want it to be a maritial art. He said he didn't want "kung-fu in the desert".

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I'm voting for Highlander. I thought it was great when I first saw it, and before all the stupid sequels came out.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

RedImperator wrote:This is actually a really tough choice. I'm torn between The Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future, though I actually see ESB as timeless, whereas BTTF is explicitly an '80s movie, despite most of it taking place in 1955. It is definitely, I think the best plotted movie of the '80s, possibly ever. There's absolutely no fat on that script, while at the same time there's no out-of-nowhere plot developments; there's a gun on the mantle for every murder and a murder for every gun on the mantle.
Sir, you must be thinking of another movie, possibly Agatha Christie inspired, for I recall no guns on mantlepieces in BttF.

What of animated movies? Anyone want to vouch for, say, The Brave Little Toaster? :D
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Definitely Commando. Better movies were made, but this is still the greatest movie of the 1980's.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes