And lo, the 2008 Olympic games begin

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I've only seen the Parade of Nations so far, but I have to say that Lesotho has the best uniforms by far.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Those opening ceremonies were seriously impressive. I think I will no longer say "lit up like the 4th of July" but rather "lit up like Beijing for the Olympics". Just awesome.

That mid-air final torch run was a fine finale.

It also occurred to me, as I watched the parade of nations, that I remember when there weren't even 180 countries participating, now it's over 200 - and many of those countries didn't exist 30 years ago.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Well, it went off without a hitch, happily. I cannot for the life of me understand why a previous poster here was disappointed there were no explosions or mishaps. That's pretty low, but, eh. In any case, I found the ceremonies impressive. That globe thing was really cool, with the runners fastened to it, running around it upside down and sideways!
Broomstick wrote:That mid-air final torch run was a fine finale.
Instead of a "torch" they are calling it a "cauldron"! :) Pretty cool, indeed.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Anyone got a youtubes of this?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:This may sound petty but the Olympics has been given to nations with dubious human rights track record. Australia is hardly a saint in that regards, at least until the new PM actually apologised for the racist policies. Let's not even forget America's often dubious record on that as well, what with all the communist witch hunts and all over the last few decades.
True, but many of these human rights violations are a couple of decades back. The last of the Stolen Generation date to the early 70s, the red scare likewise. China is not only committing them now, they even ramped it up in order to look good for the Olympics. For example, they've been cracking down on dissidents especially hard in the run up to the games. Censorship, repression of freedom of religion, torture in state prisons etc etc.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ever heard of Guantanamo Bay?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Yeah, two of China's gymnasts' dates of birth mysteriously jumped back in time two years within the last few months.

They're 'officially' 16, but I've seen the pics, and even for underfed asian girls they look young.
Britain has a 14 year old on its team. The terrible child abuse! The horror. THE HORROR! :shock:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Does anyone know WHY they were playing Scotland The Brave the whole parade of nations?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

TC Pilot wrote:I just saw the end of the opening ceremony. That giant globe thingy looked neat, and the fireworks were impressively huge. But I was very dissapointed that no misfires, explosions, or other catastrophes seemed to occur.

Maybe it's just me, but I really want China to fail hard with these Olympics.
Why? Do you enjoy being an asshole or are you just trying to be hip because hating China is in vogue now?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

fgalkin wrote:Ever heard of Guantanamo Bay?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
And if the Olympics were being held in America, I'd protest as well.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Fire Fly wrote:Is there somewhere online where I can watch the opening ceremony? Sucks to not have a tv right now.
NBC has some events online Link

and I think this one is things that are going on right now Link Not sure how this works for different regions, though.
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:
Fire Fly wrote:Is there somewhere online where I can watch the opening ceremony? Sucks to not have a tv right now.
NBC has some events online Link

and I think this one is things that are going on right now Link Not sure how this works for different regions, though.
One would think that NBC would have the opening ceremony on their site but they don't :evil: and youtube is pulling the videos down faster than posters can put them up. Dailymotion.com is a French website and has some bits and pieces but the commentary isn't in English.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

NBC may still be showing the opening ceremonies in some regions, if so they're probably withholding internet coverage so that their TV sponsors get more bang for their buck, they did something like that for episodes of heroes too.

You could try Boston.com/bigpicture while you wait. Here are some of their china pictures Link

edit: Just saw this, McClatchy's site has a nice slideshow up too. Link
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I will not deliberately sit down and watch the Olympic Games.

It kinda reminds me (historically) of the 1936 Winter Olympic Games, starring Hitler, Goebels etc.

There is a 15 second gap in the transmission time, so relevant authorities can filter out if something politically incorrect happens on the stadium.

Freedom my ass.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Does anyone know WHY they were playing Scotland The Brave the whole parade of nations?
Other than to break the sanity of all people in the area, its because one of the organisers encountered the pipe band from Dundee whilst touring in Europe and essentially said "Wow! I want them for the ceremony!" Thus, Scotland The Brave was repeated nine hundred times.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Tolya wrote:I will not deliberately sit down and watch the Olympic Games.

It kinda reminds me (historically) of the 1936 Winter Olympic Games, starring Hitler, Goebels etc.

There is a 15 second gap in the transmission time, so relevant authorities can filter out if something politically incorrect happens on the stadium.

Freedom my ass.
Is it? There don't seem to be a 15 second gap down here anyway...
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Is it? There don't seem to be a 15 second gap down here anyway...
Indeed, didn't seem to be time difference here either. The time delay might have been for the prevention of swearing, eh? :P
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The Superbowl also uses time-delays to filter out inconvenient happenstances *cough* nipples *cough*. Oh no, a delay to ensure a worldwide live broadcast seen by gazillions of people goes off without a hitch! The humanity!

Whatever you want to hold against China (and there is plenty), I don't think time-delayed broadcasts should be among it.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Seriously, I am damn annoyed with people using the word freedom to justify their actions...without even looking at their own backyard.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out, especially in swimming. I have a vested interest since I recently started working for Speedo and frankly in this Olympics if you aren't swimming in a LZR racer don't bother leaving the locker room. Michael Phelps is gonna be dripping in so much gold he'll look like Mr T.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Well, it went off without a hitch, happily. I cannot for the life of me understand why a previous poster here was disappointed there were no explosions or mishaps.
I do. He is a sociopath coupled with the internet tough guy mentality.

Any way, back to the ceremony and it looked pretty neat. I stayed up until the Australian team came out, and since we were third last to come out, I stayed up until all the teams had come out.

I have seen Zhang Yimou directed live performances before, and he certainly knows how to do them. Why did they need Speilberg again?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The thing they did for the torch-lighting, with the guy on wire running around on the television carpet for the length of the stadium, kicked ass. I wish we (Salt Lake City) had thought of something like that for the 2002 Winter Olympics.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The goose-stepping troops caused some eyebrow-raising on my part, but I guess most Americans these days are so ignorant of even recent history that the image will sail blithely past them, in their corn-syrup-glazed awareness.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

To be perfectly honest, the whole Chinese authoritarianism defiling the Olympics type of thing never bothered me too much; the Olympics is a celebration of athletic virtue, not a celebration of national virtue (except in terms of how well your national teams excel), and there's been plenty of dictatorships before.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Coyote wrote:The goose-stepping troops caused some eyebrow-raising on my part, but I guess most Americans these days are so ignorant of even recent history that the image will sail blithely past them, in their corn-syrup-glazed awareness.
For what its worth, goose-stepping is just how the PLA marches, like the Russians. I don't think theres anything inherently malicious about it, the PLA isn't going to be any less "oppressive" in any meaningful way if they just marched American style.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P