Germans are Crazy But They Build Great Stuff

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Germans are Crazy But They Build Great Stuff

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, you won't really see guys like Reinhald Grebe on a non-public TV show.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

That German Army recruiting commercial is so... brooding and dark I think is the right way to put it. Very different from how recruiting is done in the US, and clearly in Austria too.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

That German army commercial seemed very similar to the newer Canadian Forces ads. Much darker, drums, b&w, fight X.
XXXI
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I prefer these commercials that say "not fun and games and you have to be earnest and mature.". Nobody can claim to suffer from false advertising as a result.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

If you watched closely, at the end it is clear that the Bundeswehr video is a fan-made one, and not a commercial.

This is the kind of video the Bundeswehr puts online, while this is the kind of stuff they have on TV.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

D.Turtle wrote:If you watched closely, at the end it is clear that the Bundeswehr video is a fan-made one, and not a commercial.

This is the kind of video the Bundeswehr puts online, while this is the kind of stuff they have on TV.
That would explain why its almost a carbon copy of Canadian Forces ads, same music, pacing and, allowing for translation, text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzz6WznsE8
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

Thanas wrote:I prefer these commercials that say "not fun and games and you have to be earnest and mature.". Nobody can claim to suffer from false advertising as a result.
Being earnest and mature would be false advertising in the case of the Austrian army...
Those adverts are mainly aimed at conscripts who also have the option of civil service instead of the army.

It all depends on your superiors though. Some get superiors which make you work a lot and others get superiors which allow them to drink on duty and stuff.
As most Austrian males were in the army it's more or less accepted that it is full of immature people who would fail at civilian life.
A great social program but not much more.

If there is one thing most conscripts learn in the army it's how to get drunk on a regular basis.
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

And to start smoking - non-smokers don't get a break while their fellow addicts do smoke.

Also, making your bed and clean your shoes. Other than that, nothing that helps you in life (except for a moderate fitness boost that you'll have drunk and smoked away within a few months)

Also referred as "The wasted time of my life".
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You also learn how to shoot and stab people with pointy objects.

I'm sure an enterprising individual could make a very decent living with that skillset.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

German army adds are as embarrassing as US American ones.
Especially the first one in D.Turtles post.
The only decent army adds I have ever seen are the Canadian ones.

The Austrian add was stolen from that Ukranian one and got pulled off the air a couple of days after it aired first for being stupid.